• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also if you really want to use a controller for X-Com 2 and not a Steam controller.

Couldn't you just use Joy2Key and bind the buttons to keyboard stuff? Then again I guess there would be no way to emulate the mouse moving and selecting stuff and I doubt the entire game can be played with only a keyboard. If it can though it's worth a shot.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Everyone wanting to have the honor of being the creator of the thread title:

Make it a fucking Firewatch pun. Screw Rotter and Witness, those games have plenty of hype and are sure to do well.

Firewatch is much cooler and less well-known.

Also way better art. And voice acting... And writing. :c
Firewatch is an adult game so it's not eligible.

In my limited experience community profiles have been terrible.

Killing Floor 2 had a ton of them, but I couldn't find one that had buttons where I'd have liked them leaving me at the crossroads of making my own or going back to a regular controller.

Blackguards doesn't have a single profile, again, leaving me to create my own or defer to kb/m.

Year Walk had a single profile. I used it and thought it was mostly okay for playing... until I hit a puzzle where I literally could not solve it because of the profile.
There's a puzzle that requires you to press/hold keys on the keyboard when you move the mouse... and the community profile didn't map those keys to the Steam controller making it 100% impossible to play if you didn't have a keyboard handy.

weird, even when i want to play a game with standard 360 support i still prefer the steam controller since mouse-like right stick is so much better than the standard right stick.

besides, there's also a bunch of valve's own templates for different control types. but yeah, there might be a little bit of work on the user's end depending on the game in question. Nabs made a killer profiled for fucking Bionic Commando 2009 of all things so anything is possible. But i get that some folks just want a plug and play experience, even if this controller's options seem well suited to most pc gamer's appreciation of customizations and options and such

thanks for the heads up on year walk, though. I actually have that in my backlog now that i dont need a m&k so it's good to know that i should check the profiles before committing to them. You should totally upload your fixed profile, btw!!

rtcn63

Also if you really want to use a controller for X-Com 2 and not a Steam controller.

Couldn't you just use Joy2Key and bind the buttons to keyboard stuff? Then again I guess there would be no way to emulate the mouse moving and selecting stuff and I doubt the entire game can be played with only a keyboard. If it can though it's worth a shot.

That's rarely optimal, and just makes you rather do either/or instead.

And I'm beginning to realize the reason why there's so much anime talk is because it and smut are probably the only two subjects that consistently prevent people from wanting to get at each other's throats.

I wonder if there are enough buttons on a controller to fully map the game, you can't make radial menus with Joy2Key can you?

That's rarely optimal, and just makes you rather do either/or instead.

And I'm beginning to realize the reason why there's so much anime talk is because it and smut are probably the only two subjects that consistently prevent people from wanting to get at each other's throats.
True. Also are people angry? I wasn't under that impression.
I wonder if there are enough buttons on a controller to fully map the game, you can't make radial menus with Joy2Key can you?
Nah I don't think you would be able to.

Maniac

Banned
Firewatch is an adult game so it's not eligible.
I... I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

If it's a joke it whooshed the feck over my head. :p Regardless, it's pretty great to have Firewatch and The Witness come out within 15 days of eachother; They both have a gorgeous artstyle with a mouth-watering colour palette.

My eyes are bloody well in love.
The Steam controller looks uncomfortable for people with smaller hands, particularly the location of the face buttons.

You wont really be using them much. Wont take you long to use the paddles for lots of stuff you'd usually have on the face buttons, and the dual-stage triggers give it quite a lot of versatility too.Playing Mad Max, which is what I've used it for the most (some 35-40 hours) and after a bit of tinkering I've just stopped using them entirely.

It's really lovely imo.

rtcn63

I mean there are people who are stating their disappointment in lack of gamepad support while others are replying "just get a steam controller silly" as if it's a cure all. Instead of discussion, it feels like we're all just shutting each other down.

That said, I can understand why a game would ignore one control type to optimize another, even if it goes against my own wishes. Wasn't Bioshock 2 KB/M only for a long time?

Maniac

Banned
I mean there are people who are stating their disappointment in lack of gamepad support while others are replying "just get a steam controller silly" as if it's a cure all. Instead of discussion, it feels like we're all just shutting each other down.

That said, I can understand why a game would ignore one control type to optimize another.

A Steam Controller is a pretty good investment. It's not exactly super expensive, and it's a versatile piece of tech that you can have lots of fun with, if you want to. If you like playing games with a controller but often find yourself wanting to play a game that doesn't have controller support... Then it's silly not to get one. I find it opens discussion more than it closes it as it starts discussions about the controller itself, optimal usage and all kinds of jazz.

More often than not the main complaints people have are "I'm not used to it" Or, alternatively; "I've never tried it but I know it's shit because it's not a 360 controller"

Hard to tell over the internet unless there's a heavy usage of 'fuck', 'cunt' and 'arsehole douchebag fuckshit cuntass bitchfaceMcGee' or some such; all of which I use frequently in my day-to-day vocabulary, so you'll never really know with me.

It's really all part of my evil mastermind plan for world domination.

weird, even when i want to play a game with standard 360 support i still prefer the steam controller since mouse-like right stick is so much better than the standard right stick.

besides, there's also a bunch of valve's own templates for different control types. but yeah, there might be a little bit of work on the user's end depending on the game in question. Nabs made a killer profiled for fucking Bionic Commando 2009 of all things so anything is possible. But i get that some folks just want a plug and play experience, even if this controller's options seem well suited to most pc gamer's appreciation of customizations and options and such

thanks for the heads up on year walk, though. I actually have that in my backlog now that i dont need a m&k so it's good to know that i should check the profiles before committing to them. You should totally upload your fixed profile, btw!!

I wasn't saying that there aren't good profiles, I know dogg has made some that people seem to adore... but the top one for KF2 was terrible, for sure and didn't do half the things I'd have liked (like I don't think it made use of gyro, which I'd have given a shot, since people seem to say that gyro is great for fine tuning your aim where the trackpad is good for quick movement of the camera). I'm sure stuff is possible to make a decent profile for anything... but I really cba to take the time to do it when I love my DS4 and will probably default back to it where/whenever possible.

The catch with the Year Walk profile, and the reason I can only imagine the guy didn't bind the right keys to buttons, is because then it would sort of tell you the answer to that puzzle before you get there...
Seriously, if he had bound like... N and U (or whatever the letters were) to buttons, I'd have wondered why until I wandered into the one house during the time when that puzzle needs to be solved and then immediately had the solution at hand -- I suppose if you're playing on a keyboard/mouse, it'd be relatively easy to be like "what happens if I were to hit those letters", but not nearly as easy as having only those letters bound to specific buttons on the steam controller. Furthermore, I tried forcing the Steam Controller keyboard to pop up (I've since forgotten how to do this, maybe Steam button + select?) and using that as a "would this work and this is why he didn't bind it?", but there's no way to have it hold that key for you and be able to use the mouse to click and drag the pointer where needed.

I'm sure I'll give it another go for some games in the future, but at this point in time, I don't use the Steam controller unless it's a way for me to play a kb/m game without having to hope someone made a competent PGP profile for it... the last thing I want to spend my game time doing is trying to customize a controller scheme to make a game work for me... at least heavily customize, that is. My hope is that as the controller goes forward that the community will continue to do good things with it and it will grow and be worthwhile to me eventually. Or it could just collect dust forever. Time will tell, I suppose. :)

More often than not the main complaints people have are "I'm not used to it" Or, alternatively; "I've never tried it but I know it's shit because it's not a 360 controller"

I was definitely not swayed with my experience having a touchpad replace my right analog in KF2... especially without gyro. I have a few other qualms with the controller hw too, like the xyba buttons seemingly being a stretch for my thumbs to hit reliably. I did like the paddle type triggers on the back of it though and having those extra buttons could be useful if people utilize them correctly down the line. Also having the ability to do light pull, full pull on the triggers seems like it could be good too... but again, I'm lazy and don't want to spend my time learning how to make intricate customized profiles and then doing so... I just want to play my games. So hopefully the community comes through for me on this.

Did you ever fully check out Rust, btw? ;)

rtcn63

A Steam Controller is a pretty good investment. It's not exactly super expensive, and it's a versatile piece of tech that you can have lots of fun with, if you want to. If you like playing games with a controller but often find yourself wanting to play a game that doesn't have controller support... Then it's silly not to get one. I find it opens discussion more than it closes it as it starts discussions about the controller itself, optimal usage and all kinds of jazz.

I agree, except people aren't necessarily saying "have you considered getting a steam controller, it might be a good alternative" as they are "just get a steam controller bro stop being a gamepad plebe". Or at least that how it sounds at it times.

I've kept up (research-wise) with the Steam controller, and I just can't see myself picking up one yet. Another revision two and smaller form factor, sure.

That said, I can understand why a game would ignore one control type to optimize another, even if it goes against my own wishes. Wasn't Bioshock 2 KB/M only for a long time?

well the thing is is that they would need to produce another, more controller friendly UI if they wanted to support controllers. That might not come, maybe never, maybe in a year or so, but regardless, there's a controller option to play it day one.

that people are hesitant to pay for it or feel like they're entitled to xinput controller support since the first game had it is a different story, but the option already exists. them the facts. The steam controller was built precisely for the xcom 2's of the world.

rtcn63

that people are hesitant to pay for it or feel like they're entitled to xinput controller support since the first game had it is a different story, but the option already exists. them the facts

It's not much of an option if you don't find it comfortable. It's approximately the size of an 360 gamepad, and after watching videos and reading others thoughts, the placement of buttons and general size/shape probably won't work for everyone. And please stop assuming people are just entitled or cheap, it only shuts down discussion.

Dr Dogg

I wasn't saying that there aren't good profiles, I know dogg has made some that people seem to adore...

My popular ones are usually the ones I post first to the community section. While my Mass Effect 2 bindings (that I feel are very good) are in the top 3, they're still not the most popular ones by about a couple of hundred users. While my AssCreed Syndicate ones which are nothing more than a 360 Controller with Mouse look are top by 350+ users, despite making much, much better bindings about 2 weeks later.

Nabs had a good idea as to what gets to be the top community bindings. Instead of just have them ordered by number of users you should be able to rate or recommend them (like you would do with reviews and such). Then you can filter on that data set as well as number of users and leave a thumbs up or down to a set you like.

Most of the top bindings I've tried are never quite right for me or are only top by virtue of being the first bindings posted and have had little to no effort put into them. To be able to leave feedback on them (as well as allow you to have a version history of your bindings instead of having to upload a whole new profile) would be a step in the right direction. Maybe I should be bothered to email Valve feedback on this?

My popular ones are usually the ones I post first to the community section. While my Mass Effect 2 bindings (that I feel are very good) are in the top 3, they're still not the most popular ones by about a couple of hundred users. While my AssCreed Syndicate ones which are nothing more than a 360 Controller with Mouse look are top by 350+ users, despite making much, much better bindings about 2 weeks later.

Nabs had a good idea as to what gets to be the top community bindings. Instead of just have them ordered by number of users you should be able to rate or recommend them (like you would do with reviews and such). Then you can filter on that data set as well as number of users and leave a thumbs up or down to a set you like.

Most of the top bindings I've tried are never quite right for me or are only top by virtue of being the first bindings posted and have had little to no effort put into them. To be able to leave feedback on them (as well as allow you to have a version history of your bindings instead of having to upload a whole new profile) would be a step in the right direction. Maybe I should be bothered to email Valve feedback on this?
yeah, this is a pretty big problem with the community profiles right now, the top hit isn't necessarily the best option and often it's like the second or third one that has the features i'm looking for

It's not much of an option if you don't find it comfortable. It's approximately the size of an 360 gamepad, and after watching videos and reading others thoughts, the placement of buttons and general size/shape probably won't work for everyone. And please stop assuming people are just entitled or cheap, it only shuts down discussion.

they're assumptions made from observing comments in this very thread

it's good that youre doing your research on the pad, though. and if you haven't tried it at length but still feel like it wont work for you then, hey, i guess we're all making assumptions here. but at least you did you homework, i can't fault you if you dont wish to pick it up and just prefer standard controller options. i just dont see them making that investment for xcom 2 unless they have plans to put it out on the consoles

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
why not use a Steam Controller for XCOM 2?

But seriously didn't know they dropped controller support, that's unfortunate.

They did what?! Fuck 'em.
So much for PC being the platfrom of choices.

But XCOM 2 does have controller support.

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
By dropping controller support them might have had to actually designed a good camera for KBAM this time.

I mean, XCOM was kind of fiddly as shit in general when it came to areas with second stories or using the archangel armor, but even more so with KBAM.

r3n4ud

:( Canada sucks
Well fellow Canadian, we now either bend over and pay premium prices for games or wait for a sale :/

So far I've been going with the former, but that'll be coming to an end personally. I can't keep up with paying the cost of new releases for the rest of the year.

Oreoleo

Steam controller is the best I've ever used but it's not for everyone, especially if you're averse to messing with options or tweaking settings in games. I find it's often not worth using community configs and instead just make your own, but once you get used to the process it only takes a few minutes.

And thinking it has problems with a lot of games is misinformation. People have had issues getting it to work in non-steam games, sure. But any Steam game that has m+kb or x-input support shouldn't have any problem with it, and that's basically every game.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

t1cxE6r.gif
Planetary Annihilation -- MB-9AADBE94F82FD73A - Taken by Regginator
16bit Trader -- MB-B6B49336B0BFCEE8 - Taken by Large Professor
Dead Bits -- MB-003DA8F6B5215639 - Taken by mrks

take them

Later this week I'm planning on helping out people for the Witness. It is $31 US on the Canadian Steam store and it's not region locked. PM me if you want to buy a copy for retail price - I'll do up to 10 people via PayPal. Not profiting, just helping.

I don't think this is against the GAF rules, at least

Kriken

Woke up earlier this morning to find someone hacked my Origin account. Fortunately it doesn't seem like any fake charges were made
yet
Definitely keeping an eye on the card that was connected. Just glad I was able to reset a lot of details easily

Parsnip

Regarding XCOM2 and controller support, I think they have said that they'll probably add it after launch. Which is fine for me, I'll just play it when they add it.

fantomena

How was XCOM: EW with controller? I only played KB/M.

because it's rather long to type Rise of the Tomb Raider every time you wanna talk about the game, there are one too many games named Tomb Raider already.

I have used 90% of the time Tomb Raider Rise.

The Witness and Rise of the Tomb Raider are releasing in the same week. In January. Crazy!
It's too much.

This year is gonna be great.

I actually forgot it was coming out tommorrow until a friend mentioned the game to me today.

How was XCOM: EW with controller? I only played KB/M.

I have used 90% of the time Tomb Raider Rise.

I actually forgot it was coming out tommorrow until a friend mentioned the game to me today.

I didn't play EW, but I'd guess it was the same as EU. If that's the case, then it's great with controller.

yuraya

Console gamers getting charged that SEGA tax for Valkyria Chronicles.

It was 20$ on PC at release and there was even 10% iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom