• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Steam thread has a long and proud tradition of celebrating failure and extolling weakness.

In the relationship between you and the steam controller: you are the problem.

Oreoleo

I like how Portal 2 and The Talos Principle play on the Steam controller. Rocket League less so, the binding of the boost to the back trigger by default feels awkward.

I haven't played anything else with the Steam controller yet.
Well that's why you rebind stuff. The success of the Steam controller is in its flexibility. I love the back grips but I removed any bindings for them in Rocket League.

Dr Dogg

Talking about Street Fighter and keyboard controls, if you're using a pad on PC just give keyboard a try for 30 mins in Training. It's essentially a poor mans Hitbox and bar non sequential cardinals behaving differently you have all the piss easy short cuts available to you as well as multiple fingers over inputs too. Struggle doing DPs? Hold down S and tap D twice and then punch and bam you can dragon punch from crouching in milliseconds. SPDs are also a piece of piss too and if you have a keyboard with a wrist rest I'd say it's more comfortable to use than a pad for hours on end.

Can Jaw now finally shut up about it? (SFV)

Talking about Street Fighter and keyboard controls, if you're using a pad on PC just give keyboard a try for 30 mins in Training. It's essentially a poor mans Hitbox and bar non sequential cardinals behaving differently you have all the piss easy short cuts available to you as well as multiple fingers over inputs too. Struggle doing DPs? Hold down S and tap D twice and then punch and bam you can dragon punch from crouching in milliseconds. SPDs are also a piece of piss too and if you have a keyboard with a wrist rest I'd say it's more comfortable to use than a pad for hours on end.

Keyboard is a totally legit control method for FGs. The only issue is if you ever want to go to a tournament then you might be shit out of luck.

Durante

I kinda get where you are coming from. For some games that already have traditional support for an Xbox or PlayStation controller for me it doesn't make sense to use the Steam Controller.
For anything in which you control a camera, the Steam controller is massively superior.
It doesn't work for games which require precise digital movement, but then again I play those with an arcade stick anyway.

What do we make out of this?
The one released on PC will be the PC version, obviously.

Backlogger

For anything in which you control a camera, the Steam controller is massively superior.

The one released on PC will be the PC version, obviously.

Maybe I am not using the correct setup or not used to it, but a right analog stick feels naturally easy to control vs a touch pad, even with the haptic feedback. This has really always been my issue with touch controls. I was hoping the haptic feedback would solve that problem for me but so far it does not. Maybe with time it will though.

Wok

It is official, I am not venturing outside this thread so that I don't run into spoilers of The Witness.

It is official, I am not venturing outside this thread so that I don't run into spoilers of The Witness.

image.php

FYC

Banned
Keyboard is a totally legit control method for FGs. The only issue is if you ever want to go to a tournament then you might be shit out of luck.

Well, you could get an XIM adapter, though they are a bit pricey. Pretty sure I saw someone playing the PS4 version of MKX at a tourney with a keyboard recently.

Knurek

Talking about Street Fighter and keyboard controls, if you're using a pad on PC just give keyboard a try for 30 mins in Training.

Oh yea, keyboard is a great controller for the 2D fighters. Especially those that require QCF/QCB or Dragon Punch motions.
(although I'd much rather use either arrows or IJKL for diagonals and ASDQWE for buttons)

Adnor

Banned
Neat little visual Braid easter egg in The Witness.

Can't wait to play it.

I think that's the first screenshot of The Witness I've seen.

Oh yea, keyboard is a great controller for the 2D fighters. Especially those that require QCF/QCB or Dragon Punch motions.
(although I'd much rather use either arrows or IJKL for diagonals and ASDQWE for buttons)

I use WASD for movement and TYUGHJ for buttons.

Tizoc

Eh I could do that, standing 720s and Geese's pretzel motions on a keyboard just fine.
Well at least on my old keyboard >_>

Knurek

True story: I've had braid since it launched on the PS3 and I still haven't played more than an hour of it.

I guess I should play it someday

It's a terrible platformer, you can beat the whole game in, like, 20 minutes. The dev even gave you Rewind button, so that you literally can't die.
Save your time on some proper games, like, you know, You Have to Win the Game or Treasure Adventure Game. Both are free.

Tizoc

It's a terrible platformer, you can beat the whole game in, like, 20 minutes. The dev even gave you Rewind button, so that you literally can't die.
Save your time on some proper games, like, you know, You Have to Win the Game or Treasure Adventure Game. Both are free.

Braid's more of a puzzle game if not puzzle platformer than a platformer IMO.
Braid has nothing to do with the live mechanics of platformers.

Backlogger

20 minutes? Maybe I am as dumb as a rock but I think some of the puzzles are pretty tricky. I think I am at or near the last level and I am 4 hours in (minus 30-45 minutes for unintentional idling of course).

Monooboe

Ah finally preordered Rise of the Tomb Raider, retail though but was just 39 euros. Didn't think I would get it on release but now I can't wait!

Flandy

Is it worth installing games with barely any loading times like open world games onto my SSD? Are there any other benefits other than loading?

Oreoleo

Is it worth installing games with barely any loading times like open world games onto my SSD? Are there any other benefits other than loading?

Even open world games are constantly loading new assets from the hard drive as you cross terrain. I noticed an improvement in texture streaming in GTAV when I had it on my SSD, for example.

Lomax

Braid's more of a puzzle game if not puzzle platformer than a platformer IMO.
Braid has nothing to do with the live mechanics of platformers.

Except for the couple of pieces that require precision timing to get, which are completely obnoxiously bad. As a puzzle game I loved Braid, as a platformer, I hated it.

Edit: which makes me think I'll probably like The Witness

rtcn63

RE6 musings continued- I was in the
chapel's underground
and was killed by an enemy playing possum. The second time around I tried shooting him before getting close, and apparently he couldn't be damaged. IIRC, in previous RE's you could hurt trap enemies before activating them.

Braid was terrible all around.

True story: I've had braid since it launched on the PS3 and I still haven't played more than an hour of it.

I guess I should play it someday

You're not missing very much.

RE6 musings continued- I was in the
chapel's underground
and was killed by an enemy playing possum. The second time around I tried shooting him before getting close, and apparently he couldn't be damaged. IIRC, in previous RE's you could hurt trap enemies before activating them.

Yes, in previous RE titles you could aim and the auto aim would snap toward an enemy if they were actually a trap rather than a background prop. They would also slightly rotate their heads as you walked past.

Echoplx

So are the Nvidia Tomb Raider keys confirmed safe now? No chance of them revoking them through Steam? Stopped following it after a while but I remember people talking about that.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, that'll be cool to see. Hopefully not too soon though, I could do without the first two DLC characters being Super Turbo vets.

Decapre's gotten a redesign too. Which is very interesting.

Will be interesting to see. Since I suspect a DLC character alongside the story mode.

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe it is linked to your card?
that's not a bad theory, but i use paypal for everything, so i don't think humble bundle should have access to my phone number

Yeah. I need to find a day, where I'm in the right state of mind. I just really wanna try to fight a boss lol.

there's a boss just a few steps in undead burg, shouldn't take u more than an hour to reach him if u don't die too often

Lunaniem

So are the Nvidia Tomb Raider keys confirmed safe now? No chance of them revoking them through Steam? Stopped following it after a while but I remember people talking about that.

I haven't had any of the keys disabled on the NVIDIA site or Steam copies being revoked so far except for a batch that I never sold and was disabled before I even received the email about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom