• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
People expressing disappointment for lack of traditional gamepad support automatically makes then cheap, entitled, or ill-informed? And no, I'm not saying it's a developers job to cater to a minority, nor that the vocal naysayers necessarily have a leg to stand. Not everyone can have their cake. But if discussion boils down to "this works for me so it'll work for everyone stop whining" then yeah I'm going back to making shitty Steam titles.
You're being selective with your quoting which is fine I guess.

I never said GET A STEAM CONTROLLER OR EAT A BAG OF DICKS or something incredibly as irrational as that, I said the controller option exists, some have their aversion to it and there's about 2-3 reasons given constantly as to why, and then explained that controller support might not come or maybe it will but there's a way to play it on day one.

It sucks that the preferred option for some won't be there, but we no longer live in a world where that can be seen as a limiting factor. Again, just facts.

Jawmuncher

FINALLY!. Not day one but glad to see it won't be just the character stories.
For the first time in franchise history, we are creating a cinematic story experience that takes players deep into the Street Fighter action and mythology through beautifully rendered cutscenes. The Story Expansion will be available to all players as a FREE content update, releasing in June 2016. Chronologically in the Street Fighter storyline, it takes place between the events of Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III, and fully explains everything that transpired in that electrifying time period.

Also has the first look at Guile
https://youtu.be/h-BWJ9fUE0M

CZk-r9_UYAANney.jpg:large

FloatOn

so apparently the witness is the messiah

what is interesting to me is that people are taking 20 - 40 hours to complete it

at first I was taken back by the high price but if it really is that long it might be worth it

same here, still a little pricey tho. i have around 40 in my steam wallet and i don't know if i should buy the witness or dragon's dogma

At least hold off until general player impressions come in. Or just buy Dragon's Dogma right now, if you don't wanna wait.

Cool. Enjoyed the first, and although I said it was good and not great, it did occupy my thoughts for a while after I finished it.

Dr Dogg

Story mode for a Capcom fighter really isn't a big draw for me. In something like MK where combo strings (or is that ***** strings?) can be executed by just tapping them out at any rhythm and mechanically it feels a bit simpler on the execution front something like a dumb story mode is actually good for keeping my interest. Street Fighter on the other hand I'd probably spend 40-50 hours just in training mode just to get the tempo of certain combos down pat. So anything along those lines is more the icing on the cake for SFV.

Edit: Wait? There's a banned site on GAF that has combo with a k as part of it's name?

Real question is when pre-load embargo ends :D

Before I get my key form GMG at this rate!!!

rtcn63

Why am I... the assumption only works if the primary reasons explicitly expressed as to why people (in the last few pages at least) were unhappy with KB/M exclusivity and/or wouldn't consider a steam controller is because they didn't want to pay for one or that they were just too stubborn in their ways to learn something new. Otherwise, no, you aren't entertaining possible sensible viewpoints and just... you know what, I don't care anymore. Maybe they did say all that or maybe no one just gives a shit.

Let's go back to waifus.

%D0%B3%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BF%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB-530864.gif

yuraya

I think 29.99 for a retail version is fair. Wouldn't pay that for a digital copy on PS4 though.

Its still wrong for PS4 owners. Releases 16 months after the pc version and like 10-12$ more expensive. Pricing needs to be consistent and universal for multiplat games across all platforms.

Not sure if I am getting SFV immediately considering my money situation right now and the amount of games coming out. That and SFV is good and I like it but, I think I need some more time to make an informed decision.

If Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend actually does come out this month like they said that's my first priority (there might be something else I am forgetting that I want.)

Feb is tough.

10,000 Facepunch Prototype Keys

http://prototypes.facepunch.com/

You have to own either Garry's Mod or Rust.

Dead.

That game played better with a controller which is just wrong.

If it's wrong then I don't want to be right.

Regarding XCOM2 and controller support, I think they have said that they'll probably add it after launch. Which is fine for me, I'll just play it when they add it.

Just hope they don't pull a Klei.

Its still wrong for PS4 owners. Releases 16 months after the pc version and like 10-12$ more expensive. Pricing needs to be consistent and universal for multiplat games across all platforms.

You are wrong, because PS4 owners will get the Definitive Edition (tm)
That's obviously worth 10-12$ more. Also, if the game didn't come to the PS4 Entertainment System (tm) then Sega would go out of business and the PC wouldn't get more ports. So, in the end, we should be thanking Sony (tm) for the success of the PS4.

Uzzy

Yeah I still don't like it. But now that it's not the only story content in the game has cooled me off from it.

True, hopefully the cinematic will be good. I actually enjoyed the two anime films we got with SF4, so I know they can do something at least competent story wise.

I'd still love to see a full blown Street Fighter anime series, but that's just a dream given Capcom's finances.

Can Jaw now finally shut up about it? (SFV)

[email="I am just teasing Jaw, love you][/email]

Wow, thanks for posting that.
Just based on that trailer alone, they've much exceeded my expectations.

Also, and just as important, there'll be another beta!
Finally, as a big THANK YOU to all the fans who have supported us throughout the year, we are holding one final beta starting January 30 at 12:01 AM PT (8:01 AM GMT), and ending January 31 at 7 PM PT (February 1 at 3 AM GMT). If you have been on the fence about getting the game, this will be your last chance to try it out before release so be sure to pre-order at streetfighter.com/purchase for beta access, as well as exclusive costumes! I mean, just look at this guy!

EDIT: I missed this part:
The Story Expansion will be available to all players as a FREE content update, releasing in June 2016.

Cinematic Story! I'm super happy that they finally confirm this. I know story is not something I should look forward to with fighting games ... but I actually do. What a relief, I'm really no fan of Bengus art for this game so I'm glad that they don't use it for the proper story mode.

I play Arcsys games if I want a game with a story.

That said hopefully it's good but, hopefully it has some Capcom cheese in it too.

Woke up earlier this morning to find someone hacked my Origin account. Fortunately it doesn't seem like any fake charges were made
yet
Definitely keeping an eye on the card that was connected. Just glad I was able to reset a lot of details easily

This happened to me last year. They bought FIFA and about $100 in FIFA points. After I got it all sorted out with customer service and my bank, I found out that Origin has an authenticator you can set up in the options to use your cell phone or email.

These things take time, geez stop being such a Sony Shill.

More than time, they take money and potential... which if Sega decides the amount of money for the potential profit is not high enough means it'll never happen.

I'm not sure exactly how well they expect VC PS4 to sell, but at the end of the day, I hope it does well enough that they continue looking into things such as porting Vanquish and Bayonetta.

GET A STEAM CONTROLLER OR EAT A BAG OF DICKS .

You are familiar with the general posting style/rhetoric of the average GAF user by now, aren't you? Because this is pretty spot on.

We knew awhile that VC was coming to PS4 already (Makes sense since they can just port the PC version over). I think we're gonna see a port people want here in the next few months.

Of course they can just port it over. The real question is "how well will it sell?". I'm not sure the hunger for the port is there...

Dr Dogg

Urrggghhh Dragon's Dogma on the go, Tom Braider coming out on Thursday, The Multiplication Beta on Friday and now another SFV Beta on Saturday and Sunday. I need to clone myself!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm in the small minority (I guess) that really can't "click" with the Steam controller. I've used it, frustratingly, for probably 10 hours total and usually 30 minutes each time before I give up and go back to using my XBO controller.

And while I appreciate that it's an option for those games that don't natively support controllers, I've even found myself going back to and preferring kb+m controls on games that don't support controllers at all.

I'm just weird like that I guess.

I'm in the small minority (I guess) that really can't "click" with the Steam controller. I've used it, frustratingly, for probably 10 hours total and usually 30 minutes each time before I give up and go back to using my XBO controller.

And while I appreciate that it's an option for those games that don't natively support controllers, I've even found myself going back to and preferring kb+m controls on games that don't support controllers at all.

I didn't click with it either (yet), but I'll still use it over kb/m if possible to do so with minimal effort. Though I find your use of an X1 controller over a DS4 strange and confusing knowing that you own a PS4 and have access to a superior piece of hardware for your game controlling needs. ;)

Why am I... the assumption only works if the primary reasons explicitly expressed as to why people (in the last few pages at least) wouldn't consider a steam controller is because they didn't want to pay for one or that they were too set in their ways to learn something new once the option was offered (by others in the thread). Otherwise, no, you aren't entertaining possible sensible viewpoints and just... you know what, I don't care anymore. Maybe they did say all that or maybe no one just gives a shit.

well then i dont know what to tell you, i was listing examples from this thread. what, was i supposed to list examples not given or something?

cmon, rtcn63, if you're going to stick your hands in the dirt you gotta expect them to get dirty. i never even said you were in the wrong, just that the steam controller exists precisely for situations such as the upcoming xcom2 launch. and that, hey, if you want to sit it out and wait for xinput support then that's cool, too. But we no longer live in a world where the only options are A) never having controller support or B) patiently waiting and hoping that controller support comes. I get the frustration, but things are different now.

it's going to sound obnoxious, but the steam controller is likely to get mentioned every time a similar scenario like this happens in the future. It's not because people are trying to be dicks, it's because it's a totally reasonable and functional option that folks are pointing out to those who might not be aware that it exists for cases such as this. They're not trying to upset you, they're trying to point out a helpful option so that this issue doesn't keep happening to folks that care about controller support ::thumbs up::

Let's go back to waifus.

naw

r3n4ud

I...I thought you were cool man

getout.gif

GET A STEAM CONTROLLER OR EAT A BAG OF DICKS

We've got our thread title for next month right here, folks.

I've had a similar experience. I can't help but feel that me giving up so soon is directly impacting my ability to fully accept the controller, but there are only so many times that I can miss my jump or retry a simple shot I could've executed with a tactile D-pad before quitting.

And by "so many times" I really mean, like, twice.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I didn't click with it either (yet), but I'll still use it over kb/m if possible to do so with minimal effort. Though I find your use of an X1 controller over a DS4 strange and confusing knowing that you own a PS4 and have access to a superior piece of hardware for your game controlling needs. ;)

well from what I've gathered the DS4 on Windows 10 is (or was??) kind of a mess, and that it needs a specific Bluetooth driver to work and that people have had rootkits and/or malware installed on their PCs using supposedly trusted sources gone south.

If Sony released an official PC driver then I'd switch over in a heartbeat. For a lot of the same reasons I don't like the Steam Controller, I just don't like the idea of having to fuck with my setup to get it working.

I've had a similar experience. I can't help but feel that me giving up so soon is directly impacting my ability to fully accept the controller, but there are only so many times that I can miss my jump or retry a simple shot I could've executed with a tactile D-pad before quitting.

This is pretty much my experience exactly. Especially during weeknights, I have a very limited amount of gaming time and using the Steam Controller makes me feel like I'm unnecessarily handicapping myself.

it's going to sound obnoxious, but the steam controller is likely to get mentioned every time a similar scenario like this happens in the future. It's not because people are trying to be dicks, it's because it's a totally reasonable and functional option that folks are pointing out to those who might not be aware that it exists for cases such as this. They're not trying to upset you, they're trying to point out a helpful option so that this issue doesn't keep happening to folks that care about controller support ::thumbs up::

naw

Well, obnoxious is par for the course. Why else do you think I'm still around? ;)
That said, just because it's a possible option doesn't mean it's helpful. As you can see evidenced by JShackles, he would prefer to use kb/m if forced to because of lack of controller support. And I'm sure he's not the only one. It's merely a workaround that offers something that may be (to some degree) workable though not certainly preferable.

well from what I've gathered the DS4 on Windows 10 is (or was??) kind of a mess, and that it needs a specific Bluetooth driver to work and that people have had rootkits and/or malware installed on their PCs using supposedly trusted sources gone south.

If Sony released an official PC driver then I'd switch over in a heartbeat. For a lot of the same reasons I don't like the Steam Controller, I just don't like the idea of having to fuck with my setup to get it working.

Most of that stuff centers around getting the DS3 to work with windows (the malware rootkit stuff definitely... motionjoy maybe? and the scarletcrush ds3 setup required you to use a specific BT driver if you wanted to connect your DS3 that way instead of via usb).

Using DS4, it doesn't install anything (that I recall) and is just a program that runs and catches dinput and converts it to xinput. It's very much like your mobile install of enhanced steam. The DS4 will naturally pair with windows BT (or over usb) and be recognized by W10 as a dinput controller. DS4Windows or InputMapper (people use both, I personally use DS4Windows after Nabs was such a vocal proponent of it) are by all accounts great from everything I've experienced and seen and with one of the more recent W10 updates fixing the way that devices were held once discovered, no more workarounds to get what worked in windows 7/8 are required to get the ds4 working in windows 10.

I like how Portal 2 and The Talos Principle play on the Steam controller. Rocket League less so, the binding of the boost to the back trigger by default feels awkward.

I haven't played anything else with the Steam controller yet.

rtcn63

well then i dont know what to tell you, i was listing examples from this thread. what, was i supposed to list examples not given or something?

All I saw were people being vague or talking about lack of comfort with kb/m and the like. Otherwise, you're basing your conclusion on data that isn't really there. Or something. Or not, I really don't want to go back and re-read the last few pages. I know I didn't, so I'll just speak for myself.

And like always, saying "you should do this" as opposed to "have you considered doing this? Here are some reasons and stuff" isn't the same thing.

And yes waifus

tumblr_mrogkwgRiH1s95lrzo1_500.gif

EDIT: I may be selectively quoting, but I am reading entire replies and factoring their input

Maniac

Banned
I was definitely not swayed with my experience having a touchpad replace my right analog in KF2... especially without gyro. I have a few other qualms with the controller hw too, like the xyba buttons seemingly being a stretch for my thumbs to hit reliably. I did like the paddle type triggers on the back of it though and having those extra buttons could be useful if people utilize them correctly down the line. Also having the ability to do light pull, full pull on the triggers seems like it could be good too... but again, I'm lazy and don't want to spend my time learning how to make intricate customized profiles and then doing so... I just want to play my games. So hopefully the community comes through for me on this.

Did you ever fully check out Rust, btw? ;)

And that's fair enough. Not everyone can be arsed to do so. I've done it a few times now, but I don't know if I can be arsed continuing on. Who knows.

Aaaand nope, sorry. I've barely played much of anything lately. Been too damn depressed really.

Backlogger

I kinda get where you are coming from. For some games that already have traditional support for an Xbox or PlayStation controller for me it doesn't make sense to use the Steam Controller.

I've been going back and forth with it on Fallout 4 and using the right pad over a right analog stick just feels... weird. Especially during action moments (VATs is fine, but when I'm out of action points it sucks). Also lock picking with it isn't very fun.

I've used it on a few older FPS games that don't have controller support and I kind of feel the same way. It works, but it doesn't feel great.

Where I haven't used it yet are on RTS or simulation type games. I have used it on LEGO games, and it's great on those!

I'm glad I own it, but it still seems very situational to me.

Oreoleo

And by "so many times" I really mean, like, twice.

FWIW the first weekend I had the controller I *hated* it and seriously considered flipping it on eBay or something. But I stuck with it and after a few hours in HL2 and a dozen in VtMB I was fully converted. I never want to use a dualshock or Xbox controller again (and honestly it's replaced kb+m for everything except competitive games). That's a lot of time admittedly and I get when someone like jshackles says he doesn't have the spare gaming time to dig into something like that, but, you do get more out of the controller the more you put into it. Stick with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom