• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

The Witness is neat so far, but having to go back and trace over the solution to your previous puzzle because you failed the current one is pretty dumb. Not sure what they were thinking.

Knurek

Review Thing (Spoiler Free)
Just beat The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Took me about 31 hours to complete the game with a sample size of the side quests.

trails1uurgy.png

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Did you just skip over the text?

Dr Dogg

Nice. Just 9 people to go.

...and then going through the other threads the list comes down to.
arts&crafts
Fox318
JaseC
Kifimbo
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

mrgone didn't post in the last August and 2 September threads, Salsa didn't post in the last October thread and Stump didn't have a post in the last November or first December threads.

This is like some piss poor version of Highlander. Waiting for it to come down to you Nabs, Stall and Jase and then have a battle royal in Borderlands to decide the victor.

Maniac

Banned
a golf game...? I don't even need to see or hear more about it, its an automatic skip.

The entire golfing bit is irrelevant, really. You have no club. There is no golfer. Only a ball, which has explosion... Eh, power-ups, skills or whatever you'd call it; can be lit on fire and most importantly; destroy. Everything.

Your score is determined by the amount of shit you break and the distance you travel, not how many tries it takes to get it in the hole.

Heh, I said hole.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This is like some piss poor version of Highlander. Waiting for it to come down to you Nabs, Stall and Jase and then have a battle royal in Borderlands to decide the victor.

Whoever makes it through the next Serious Sam game without going insane is the winner. Repeat the process with each new Serious Sam until only one person is left.

Maniac

Banned
I gotta stay, I'm looking forward to Homefront. It looks pretty interesting, I hope the story is good as thats the main thing that interest me. If those co op missions are good too thats just a bonus.

I love that the North Koreans are called Norks.

NORKS

I love squeezing a soft pair o' norks.

Always lovely with some british wit, or whatever you'd call it.

Jawmuncher

I love that the North Koreans are called Norks.

NORKS

I love squeezing a soft pair o' norks.

Always lovely with some british wit, or whatever you'd call it.

My favorite is Towhead. Sounds so bad for what it actually is.
tow·head
ˈtōˌhed/
noun
noun: tow-head
a head of tow-colored or very blond hair.
a person with very blond hair.

Maniac

Banned
My favorite is Towhead. Sounds so bad for what it actually is.
tow·head
ˈtōˌhed/
noun
noun: tow-head
a head of tow-colored or very blond hair.
a person with very blond hair.

I just love that they're calling north koreans slang / a synonym for boobs.

It's lovely. And made me giggle.

... I'm very mature, as you all know.
This has to be a tech demo like Rockstart Table Tennis?

I enjoy my crazy golf games so I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I can't see it selling all that well.

Full, proper game. They've been working on it for... Two or three years, I believe.

Uzzy

So it's more Highlander: The Source, rather than one of the good Highlander movies.

zkylon

zkylewd

Review Thing (Spoiler Free)
Just beat The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Took me about 31 hours to complete the game with a sample size of the side quests. So for those who don't know TiTs is a JRPG made by falcolm. The same studio well known for the Ys series. I felt the game was very reminiscent of NICHE PSX era RPGs with some more modern trappings in it to make things easier. Such as a difficulty selector and being able to save anywhere (aside from cut-scenes & battles). The game even auto save's while playing in case you ever needed to go further back for whatever reason. The battle system is grid based and turn based. I haven't exactly played a JRPG like that before this so it's hard to compare it to anything I know of. It's not too crazy to understand however. You move around the battle space to hit enemies, and if they're out of reach you just move closer to them. Certain spells and attacks can hit more than one enemy so long as they're in the attacks radius. Spells however take two turns to be cast in most cases and will use EP (mana points). With the speed depending on numerous factors (sometimes you can prepare a spell and the next ordering will have you cast). The battle order I would compare to FFX's side bar. Which lets you know who will be going next. This however can be manipulated if you have enough points to use your special which is tied to CP (Think FF7 limit Break). You fill this bar from attacking or getting attacked. It can either be saved to 100 (Or even 200 for a stronger version) for a special attack or can be used to cast arts which are special moves that takes away from the CP bar. The cool thing about the special attack is that it can be used at any time. So you can attack and then use the CP right after that attack, or maybe unleash before you think the enemy might attack and kill you (which resets the CP to 0). It adds a nice little layer of planning to the overall system. In addition to that the Quartz system (Which reminded me of FF7s Materia) was nice to mess around with. Enemies drop numerous types of quartz which can then be used tobuy Orbal Quartz that have different functions (Such as Attack 1 which boosts attacks and gives you a fire attack). Which can be mixed and match to unlock other sorts of spells and attributes.
The big draw to the game is by far it's story. While it still runs into some typical JRPG tropes, the majority of it is handled quite well. As you progress it really feels like the world world around these character's grow. It was interesting to go back to towns and talk to people about what I had just accomplished. Rather than seeing some typical NPC chats. It adds a lot of flavor to the game as do the character's themselves. I was very impressed how interested I was in these character's and the relationships they developed (Especially for the main two protagonist's Estelle and Joshua). It was a major driving factor in wanting to see what the story held for them. If you ask anyone who has played it, the character's are usually what is remembered most and for good reason. I might not have talked about the story much, but I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. Since it's by far the best part about the game. However I do have some complaint's with the biggest being related to the battle system which can feel a tad slow (wish there was a 2x speed option or something). Aside from that if you're not doing side-quests (Or not many), you'll be playing with a bit of a tight wallet. Also dungeons can get a bit confusing with the free camera (Since there is no map), even with the compass present. So it's best to keep it always pointed north. With all of that out of the way I really enjoyed the game and it's a easy recommend at $20 with it being even easier at $10 (Which is it's usual sale's price). I'll be starting on chapter 2 sometime soon, since i'm very interested in seeing where this story goes.

Performance: I had some weird stuttering at random places on the game, but I was too lazy to look into the cause. Which I am sure could have been fixed with some tinkering. The port itself is solid and aside from some random UI elements, most of it scales quite well at least to 1080p which is what I played at.

dude

how come

u never use paragraphs

u weirdo

my review of ur review is that it's too much info and not enough opinion. i didn't get much of an impression of ur thoughts of the game as a rough idea of how the game plays

2zkycents

Maniac

Banned
Hope all ya' bastards are enjoying The Witness.

I'd play it, but... Y'know. Life sucks and then you don't wanna play games.

I have 7 games in progress and instead of finishing any of them, I bought The Witness.

I have a similar number of games in progress, and instead of playing those I started playing the beta for a game I Kickstarted, a game I won't even be able to post about in that thread since the developer asked backers to not talk about it publicly yet ...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
...and then going through the other threads the list comes down to.

mrgone didn't post in the last August and 2 September threads, Salsa didn't post in the last October thread and Stump didn't have a post in the last November or first December threads.

Man, it's going to be hard when it comes down to Nabs and Stall.

Fxa96KR.jpg

Jawmuncher

dude

how come

u never use paragraphs

u weirdo

my review of ur review is that it's too much info and not enough opinion. i didn't get much of an impression of ur thoughts of the game as a rough idea of how the game plays

2zkycents

Not really good at expressing my opinion aside saying I liked it. As for paragraphs, I'm not good at writing either so sorry.

Man, some puzzles in The Witness are really hard. Maybe I am just stupid :v

Depends -- a lot of puzzles in puzzle/adventure games can be obtuse to a person if it they don't think about things in a similar fashion as the developer/designer did.

Braid had a lot of this, where things were either very obvious or very "WTF, how was I supposed to figure that out?"

Nzyme32

Man, some puzzles in The Witness are really hard. Maybe I am just stupid :v

I thought that for brief periods and then the solutions kind of clicked. I'd recommend just moving away from the puzzles for a but and thinking about it while walking around, looking at what else you did any cues etc. It may be that you simply are not meant to understand yet

Tried to play Fallout 3, but it's crashing and hanging up constantly because of the Win10 problems, so I've decided to go onto Alpha Protocol, which is pretty good so far.

Hektor

Tried to play Fallout 3, but it's crashing and hanging up constantly because of the Win10 problems, so I've decided to go onto Alpha Protocol, which is pretty good so far.

You maybe don't know yet, but you just dropped an medicore lRPG for one of the best. Good on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom