• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puh just killed a Dragon in Dragons Dogma. Not sure if I did it in any of my earlier plays. Also what did the "Dragon" imprinting on some of my armor do?

Armor, Clothes, and Weps have 7 upgrade levels.

Base
1-Star
2-Star
3-Star
Dragon Red
Dragon Silver
Dragon Gold

Each level is better than the previous. You can only get to the Dragon Red level by killing Dragons (which is what happened). After that you can upgrade to Silver and Gold through a character in the BBI area.

neonglow

Here are some extra keys I got.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magicka -- MB-5E44EAEC75F34685 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 2 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky -- MB-5CE202A060C5438C - Taken by The Hermit. 15 entrants total.

t1453864136z1.png

Uzzy

This Life is Strange intro done in the True Detective style is pretty good. Major spoilers though, so don't watch unless you've actually finished the whole game.

Also, two of the concept artists who worked on Life is Strange are posting some works, here and here. Again, spoilers.

Monooboe

Armor, Clothes, and Weps have 7 upgrade levels.

Base
1-Star
2-Star
3-Star
Dragon Red
Dragon Silver
Dragon Gold

Each level is better than the previous. You can only get to the Dragon Red level by killing Dragons (which is what happened). After that you can upgrade to Silver and Gold through a character in the BBI area.

Oh right, nice. Need to go some lvls before I seek out more Dragons, took awhile the one I took down and as a archer my right trigger finger is tired haha. Thanks for the info!

Lunaniem

ModBot said:
Instructions for Lunaniem:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lunaniem, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 -- MB-9F530F7FFE6D0E11 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 44 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Call of Duty: Black Ops -- MB-98AD0D7F012CD5A1 - Taken by Black Soma. 38 entrants total.

t1453865036z1.png

The hottest of Call of Duty games.

Jawmuncher

So are we still holding hope for Killer Instinct and others to hit steam? How is Halo
Spartan Ops handled on steam? Can you earn Xbox achievements in it or only steam?

The Witness doesn't have Steam Trading Cards and has less achievements than it does on PS4.

ya blew it, blow

His reasoning for the achievement thing was kind of weird on the stream, he said he had to make a certain amount of trophies per his Sony contract, so I don't see why he didn't just carry them over to the PC version, he took the time to make two of 14 or so but didn't just do the rest?

Dsyndrome

Someone mentioned there was some kind of XCOM2 tease during XFiles last night? Anyone see it? Was it just an ad?

It was like a five second shot of the alien made of human heads turning into skulls, you didn't miss anything.

Edit: There's two achievements for the whole game? Can't say that's not disappointing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Witness doesn't have Steam Trading Cards and has less achievements than it does on PS4.

ya blew it, blow

I'm gonna assume he only wanted to have 2 achievements and Sony wanted more than that. Just like that Steam game with no achievements that starts arguments in this thread.

Haunted

Blow doesn't really believe in the worth of extrinsic motivation. I'm surprised the Steam version has achievements at all.

tmarg

I don't know a ton about witness, but from what I've heard it seems like the sort of game that shouldn't have achievements. You are supposed to figure out what to do on your own.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Santerestil, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Santerestil, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GundeadliGne -- MB-1381622BC0D3F072 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Hitogata Happa -- MB-E76B9DC3F201D674 - Taken by Kifimbo. 4 entrants total.
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-0EDF34B6BF523EBE - Taken by Red Hood. 3 entrants total.
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-54B63E0D90C4BC95 - Taken by Costa1774. 2 entrants total.
Merchants of Kaidan -- MB-D3754E6D39CC331B - Taken by Sarcasm. 4 entrants total.
Gundemonium Recollection -- MB-FECDB6CCB4C31C71 - Taken by 73V3N. 7 entrants total.

t1453899895z1.png

Nzyme32

I'm gonna assume he only wanted to have 2 achievements and Sony wanted more than that. Just like that Steam game with no achievements that starts arguments in this thread.

Exactly right - he explained on his launch stream. Basically Sony have a minimum spec for their trophy / achievement things, but Blow didn't intend for that. The Ps4 version has some menial ones and the two main ones, while Steam just gets the 2 main ones.

I don't know what they are and am avoiding finding out. They are hidden on Steam I think

Nzyme32

Regarding the Witness

I think it's a bit sad that already in just a few hours of the game coming out, people are asking for help with puzzles and their mechanics. It practically destroys part of the joy of the game in my opinion, which is discovering these mechanics and having these moments of inspiration. In a lot of cases, not understanding how to find the mechanisms / solutions and skipping that by asking others is just going to make you more confused later too.

I've found it best to just think on things or explore a bit, and often you get a whole bunch of ideas or a moment of inspiration and work things out, which is so so good in these games. I'd hate to lose that "first time" moment for this game, which is so good with so little knowledge and working things out for yourself

Obviously if you've spent an absurd amount of time and can't work it out perhaps then go asking around, but this game is so good for having just the right amount of info around to help you along the way and make you feel great for working things out yourself

Soulflarz

Banned
I haven't been around lately but where is this $30 Witness??

Nowhere of note :3

Anyyways, my backlog is disastrous.

I still have my ~20 games from the winter sale/black friday
Pillars
Trails SC
Uncharted Collection
RottR
Random 3ds games

I could go on
My backlog is a good 35 or so games on the immediate side, way too many on the farther off side >_>

zkylon

zkylewd
Not really good at expressing my opinion aside saying I liked it. As for paragraphs, I'm not good at writing either so sorry.
it's ok, i read ur thing cos i cared about ur opinion, was just thinking that block of text was pretty awful to read lol and then a lot of it is stuff that u might find in the storepage which is important i suppose but at least not so much to me

with impressions i generally like to read what ppl really liked about a game, if there was a moment or a mechanic or a visual style or whatever, or if there was something they found frustrating or annoying or whatever.

Dude. Why do you never use capital letters?

It only bothers me just a little bit.
no real reason, but ppl started remembering me for it so i kept doing it

on my own forums (private one that me and a few friends share) i write properly and everything

but what's the fun in that :>

Probably stupid question for people following this but how will this be different to Pillars of Eternity?
biggest thing is the completely different ruleset and universe, as well as turn-based combat compared to rtwp in eternity (and probably a lot less combat overall)

Am I doing it right Steamgaf?

those are some really cool icons

missing a lot of awesome anime tho

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Former SOE Boss Cancels New Kickstarter Campaign After Slow Start

"We made mistakes along the way."

After getting off to a slow start, the Kickstarter campaign for Hero's Song, a new RPG from former Sony Online Entertainment/Daybreak boss John Smedley's new studio, has been canceled.

"After looking at our funding levels and the reality that we aren't going to reach our funding goals, we've decided that the best thing to do is to end the Kickstarter," Smedley said in an update to backers.

The Hero's Song crowdfunding effort raised $136,849 (of its $800,000 goal) from 3,037 backers before it was canceled today, just a week after it went live.

"We sincerely appreciate all of the support we got from the backers and the Kickstarter community. This was our first Kickstarter and we made mistakes along the way," Smedley said. "I want to acknowledge that right up front. We put a lot of time and effort into the Kickstarter, but it's obvious missing things like physical goods hampered our efforts. It's also fair to say because we're early that we didn't have enough gameplay to show the game off enough to get people over the hump."

For people looking forward to Hero's Song, the good news is that, as Smedley said before, developer Pixelmage already has private investors lined up to get the game finished. In fact, the Kickstarter campaign's $800,000 goal was on top of $1 million that the studio had already raised.

"Our Investors are backing us all the way and we're going to get Hero's Song done exactly when we said we would," Smedley said. "I'm also happy to say that we've been able to do this without having to take money from publishers, something that was of key importance to us so that we could remain in creative control."

To keep players in the loop, Pixelmage said it will hold regular development livestreams on Twitch as part of the developer's effort to be "completely transparent with our development process."

We'll have more details on Hero's Song as they're made available.

Swinging through the indoor gardens in Bionic Commando has been the best feeling area yet. There's always something to latch onto and it's enclosed so no radiation barriers, plus that nice ambient music.

I thought the bosses would be better/bigger. I must have confused it with Lost Planet because the enemies are underwhelming at every turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom