• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthuk

Is there a reason to break cards into gems? Like is it cost effective ever? It seems they provide very little, less than selling them on the market. Also is it worth searching for buying booster packs that may be cheaper than individual cards?

Lomax

Is there a reason to break cards into gems? Like is it cost effective ever? It seems they provide very little, less than selling them on the market. Also is it worth searching for buying booster packs that may be cheaper than individual cards?

Cards into gems is essentially never cost effective. Emotes/backgrounds into gems can be cost effective. Sometimes buying boosters will save you a little, but it's pretty rare and you can't predict what you're going to get, so if you're making badges you're generally better off buying or trading for what specific cards you are missing.

ohh symphonia isn't like a big new game

now it makes sense why they were giving it away

It's a 60 to 80 hour game that came out in 2003/2004 but okay Zky.

Then again I really dislike Tales games now mostly. Probably not buy it again despite how much I liked it in the past.

tuxfool

Banned

It depends. Booster packs containing more expensive cards aren't intrinsically worth more gems all the time.

sadblob

I don't think it's ever cost-effective, for example if you have 1(3) cent cards that turns into 10 gems (seen quite a lot of those), you would spend $1 to get 1000 gems. That's 1 sack, and it's sold in the market for around 70 cents.

You could hunt for underpriced packs, but it seems a lot of effort just to gain a few cents.

Balthuk

Huh thanks for your replies. I guess I'll stick to my usual deal of ignoring cards for the most part and only craft cheap badges on games I like a lot.

rtcn63

So I'm watching GT finish up RE5 and *minor Bloodborne spoilers*
They mention that Miyazaki was really a big fan of the game. You've Jill as Eileen the Crow, and personally I can see Wesker's final form as the inspiration for the Orphan of Kos. (Well him and Geese Howard) He's the orphan of Spencer in a way, who wanted to be a Great Old One or something...

Jawmuncher

So I'm watching GT finish up RE5 and *minor Bloodborne spoilers*
They mention that Miyazaki was really a big fan of the game. You've Jill as Eileen the Crow, and personally I can see Wesker's final form as the inspiration for the Orphan of Kos. (Well him and Geese Howard) He's the orphan of Spencer in a way, who wanted to be a Great Old One or something...
At least Miyazaki appreciates good games

Huh thanks for your replies. I guess I'll stick to my usual deal of ignoring cards for the most part and only craft cheap badges on games I like a lot.

Now you are going to get hate from people around here for not blowing entire pay checks and getting games on release that they have no intention of playing just to idle in them for cards.

Or something.

BadRamen

Nowhere of note :3

Watch out y'all, too cryptic for me! *rolls eyes*

But it must have been of note as you apparently had to mention the price you paid for it...!

EDIT: Zky it might be because you have a smarmy response to a lot of things people converse with you about? And this is coming from me, an asshole, to be fair.

I still love ya!

zkylon

zkylewd
It's a 60 to 80 hour game that came out in 2003/2004 but okay Zky.

Then again I really dislike Tales games now mostly. Probably not buy it again despite how much I liked it in the past.

2003/2004 is not new?

why do ppl take offense with everything i say these days!

2003/2004 is not new?

why do ppl take offense with everything i say these days!

I didn't take a offense :<, sorry that it came off that way. Was just saying you seem to kinda disregarded it because of it's price.

It's cheap because it's the HD re-release of a game that originally came out in 2003/2004.

Which is over a decade old and in game terms that's kinda old.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of neonglow, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magicka -- MB-5E44EAEC75F34685 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 2 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky -- MB-5CE202A060C5438C - Taken by The Hermit. 15 entrants total.

t1453864136z1.png

Boo! Devs purposefully disabled saving in the Game Over Endgame "Mission" without a way to enable it.
This is bs. I don't care if they want to show the brutality of war with this or make either the escape of the island or your death both viable true endings to the game. In a game like ArmA where a single stray bullet from an enemy impossible to see from hundreds of meters away, taking away saving is stupid, frustrating and not fun. Especially since it was enabled for the whole campaign. Boo Bohemia, boo!

Dsyndrome

I was surprised to be in the top 40 posters last year despite posting 6 posts in the first two months. Jawmuncher shames us all though.

Boo! Devs purposefully disabled saving in the Game Over Endgame "Mission" without a way to enable it.
This is bs. I don't care if they want to show the brutality of war with this or make either the escape of the island or your death both viable true endings to the game. In a game like ArmA where a single stray bullet from an enemy impossible to see from hundreds of meters away, taking away saving is stupid, frustrating and not fun. Especially since it was enabled for the whole campaign. Boo Bohemia, boo!

youtube it. ain't no body got time to be stressed out over shitty design choices.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*goes to login to steam* oh, need my authenticator code

*picks up phone, opens steam app* hmm, not logged in

*logs in on app* This account is currently using a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator. Enter the current code displayed in the Steam Mobile app:

err

zkylon

zkylewd
EDIT: Zky it might be because you have a smarmy response to a lot of things people converse with you about? And this is coming from me, an asshole, to be fair.

I still love ya!

hmmm...

lHMzNHC.png

but...

fSqgwsW.png

hbYuXOM.png

wait a minute...

0N0WpxN.png

oh ffs

Z7ZVfyL.png

ok i give up

english is the worst

i'm not an asshole -__-

I didn't take a offense :<, sorry that it came off that way. Was just saying you seem to kinda disregarded it because of it's price.

It's cheap because it's the HD re-release of a game that originally came out in 2003/2004.

Which is over a decade old and in game terms that's kinda old.
nah, i'm just

We're just baiting you to the #1 position in post count.
ehh i'm #1 in the thread that counts :>

I always like the look of Warhammer 40k, and hearing people talking about it with various races/lore sounds interesting, is there any recommended warhammer games on sale that will let you get into the lore and know some of the faction/characters etc?

I'm not really in it for the gameplay, although it's certainly welcome if it had decent to good gameplay. just want to try getting into Warhammer story.

I see Space Hulk is the cheapest in the current sale, will that be a good intro to warhammer? I'm also looking into Space Marine or one of the Dawn of War games.

Nzyme32

The Witness doesn't have Steam Trading Cards and has less achievements than it does on PS4.

ya blew it, blow

It's already been explained by Blow. Basically ps4 demands more achievement fluff when Blow only wanted 2 achievements. So Ps4 now has a bunch of trivial achievements along with the main 2 that Blow wanted to focus on. Steam just gets the 2. Also I don't think card would work for a game that seems to have a lot of secrets that it wants to keep.... Unless they were a bunch of line puzzles I guess

zkylon

zkylewd
Dota 2 thread?
gross

I always like the look of Warhammer 40k, and hearing people talking about it with various races/lore sounds interesting, is there any recommended warhammer games on sale that will let you get into the lore and know some of the faction/characters etc?

I'm not really in it for the gameplay, although it's certainly welcome if it had decent to good gameplay. just want to try getting into Warhammer story.

I see Space Hulk is the cheapest in the current sale, will that be a good intro to warhammer? I'm also looking into Space Hulk or one of the Dawn of War games.
the dawn of war games are kind of universally loved, i used to play a lot of dawn of war 1 and i liked it a lot. it's like a lower scale rts so it plays a bit like an action rpg and i think dawn of war 2 doubles down on that stuff. i'd probably go for those, try and find a bundle that has all the dlc so u can see all the different races and such

also i hear good things of space marine tho i kind of hated what little i played of that one

no idea about sales tho, just a few noteworthy wh40k games

Teeth

It's already been explained by Blow. Basically ps4 demands more achievement fluff when Blow only wanted 2 achievements. So Ps4 now has a bunch of trivial achievements along with the main 2 that Blow wanted to focus on. Steam just gets the 2. Also I don't think card would work for a game that seems to have a lot of secrets that it wants to keep.... Unless they were a bunch of line puzzles I guess

The cards could just be a bunch of environmental shots, which a lot of other games use.

That said, I imagine Blow has an issue with the "mindless collectible/consumerist" aspect of virtual trading cards given out for playing a game.

gross

the dawn of war games are kind of universally loved, i used to play a lot of dawn of war 1 and i liked it a lot. it's like a lower scale rts so it plays a bit like an action rpg and i think dawn of war 2 doubles down on that stuff. i'd probably go for those, try and find a bundle that has all the dlc so u can see all the different races and such

also i hear good things of space marine tho i kind of hated what little i played of that one

no idea about sales tho, just a few noteworthy wh40k games

Dawn of War 2's campaign goes pretty deep on Space Marine/Chaos stuff in a really cool way. The expansion has multiple endings based on your choices, for example.

Space Marine is just spectacle with the slightest promise of a better story next time. (Keeping mind that there was never a sequel.)

...All of that Imperium of Man stuff is basically the same in the games, from what I've seen. Y'know, Purge the xeno filth, praise the emperor, ORRRRHHHKKKSSSS, die for the emperor, etc.

Also,
200_s.gif

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I see Space Hulk is the cheapest in the current sale, will that be a good intro to warhammer? I'm also looking into Space Marine or one of the Dawn of War games.

The most story heavy game is probably Space Marine. The problem with looking for story or lore in these games is that it's all been pre-established in table top source books and novels. All of the games pretty much have the same premise: One of the bastard xeno races is invading some planet and the Space Marines are going to try and stop it.

The Dawn of War games have something of a continuous story. I think if you go Dawn of War > Winter Assault > Dark Crusade > DoW II > Chaos Rising > Retribution, you get a fairly meaty story. You also get like 200 hours of RTS gameplay though.

damn Victor Vran is a really good game but i just got bored of it for some reason , i guess i must be kind of tired of playing diablo style games :/

*goes to login to steam* oh, need my authenticator code

*picks up phone, opens steam app* hmm, not logged in

*logs in on app* This account is currently using a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator. Enter the current code displayed in the Steam Mobile app:

err

Yup, this is exactly why I stopped using it.
Having it do that to me 3 times within an 8 hour period was enough for me to say "eff this ish, I'm out".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom