• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I think that days when 3rd party publishers could afford to release games only on one or two platforms are behind us. Also time when console manufacturers could offer enough to 3rd party publishers to get their "love" is also behind us. Today video game industry is really big and most devs/publishers are looking only hos to save their ass and if there is place and market to sell their product and cover at least porting costs they will do it. We cans see that on every Sony conference since PS4 announcement. Permanent exclusivity with 3rd party games are rare these days. And in my opinion that is good for the users and for the industry.

Oh definitely and from my eyes it looks like another one of those crazy Sony 'exclusive' dealios. I mean the trailer at Paris Games Week just said Exclusive Content which is probably PSVR support. Even Namco went on to mention in their press release it's coming to 'home systems', not even consoles, systems. Can't find the original source so here's Gamasutra's article
Powered by Unreal Engine 4, TEKKEN 7 sets a new standard in graphics quality for the series, featuring highly detailed characters and dynamic environments. In its first appearance on home systems, TEKKEN 7 will feature numerous modes and enhancements beyond its arcade counterpart, including an in-depth story mode that lets players fully experience the canon storyline.

Once Tekken makes the jump hopefully Soulcalibur follows suit at some point. I and now II HD got 360 ports and PS3 got II as well. Soulcalibur III HD for PS4, XO and Steam? I think I might need to lie down.

Arthea

Is there a reason to break cards into gems? Like is it cost effective ever? It seems they provide very little, less than selling them on the market. Also is it worth searching for buying booster packs that may be cheaper than individual cards?

cards? never, not a single card is worth gemifying, they sell for much more, yeah ever cheapest ones.
Only cheap backgrounds and emotes are for turning into gems and even then it depends.

edited: so lemme get it straight, the Witness has no cheevos to talk about, no cards and is 40€ game? That makes waiting almost too easy!

Messiah

edited: so lemme get it straight, the Witness has no cheevos to talk about, no cards and is 40€ game? That makes waiting almost too easy!

And here I thought you played puzzle games for the puzzles. Hmm.

I do, but I have my standards!
like not paying 40€ for a game I'm not going to play any time soon.

Haha, that's fair. I am just surprised to see achievements being such a priority for so many people.

JMTHEFOX

Happy birthday to me!

TodayIsMyBirthday.gif

Arthea

Haha, that's fair. I am just surprised to see achievements being such a priority for so many people.

oh, I think it's no secret to anyone that I like good, witty cheevos, getting those makes me merry and content, not getting them makes me morose.

Wait until Arthea finds out PS4 has 14 trophies.

but I already know! thanks to this thread

edited: we are being robbed yet again!

edit2: for example how can anybody be unhappy by getting Doom Baker achievement, that like totally made my day!

Dr Dogg

First Don't Stave had no achievements, and I didn't speak out because I didn't care for Klei games.

Then The Witness only have 2 achievements, and I didn't speak out because Blow blows.

You can see where this is going.

Deques

Achievements kinda ruined for me. I only play games with achievements just to unlock them.

I am addicted to achievements, please help me

Ludens

Banned
First Don't Stave had no achievements, and I didn't speak out because I didn't care for Klei games.

Then The Witness only have 2 achievements, and I didn't speak out because Blow blows.

You can see where this is going.

Don't Starve has also an exclusive animated intro on console.

Deques

guys, do you know that Mortal Kombat Kollection was removed from steam

or am I very late to this realisation?

I think it's been removed for a while now

Just found out that I own a dlc for Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance, but I do not own the base game. How can this be?

ohh symphonia isn't like a big new game

now it makes sense why they were giving it away
It's a 60 to 80 hour game that came out in 2003/2004 but okay Zky.

Then again I really dislike Tales games now mostly. Probably not buy it again despite how much I liked it in the past.
Well, this has a chance to become a good version of Symphonia if it receives 60 FPS mod and if there are no major bugs. *sweating*

It's a good start for anyone who wants to get into Tales games or at least try them. It's not that expensive and there are no complicated/annoying sub systems. Only thing that makes it feel dated is lack of freerun and combat is not as fast as later games.

Arthea

yeah, Symphonia price is surprisingly reasonable.
It's by no means the best Tales, but it's a good game nevertheless. I still don't understand why they didn't release both games at once, I mean Dawn of the New World too.

Arthea

Allods Online is on steam now too? We are getting so many old and older MMOs, kinda tempted to check do people even play those on steam, will do some day.

I'd imagine Symphonia is going to fall into the same bracket as FFVII in being a lot of folks first entry into the series.

on PC? probably, considering price, although some probably started with Zesty.

yeah, Symphonia price is surprisingly reasonable.
It's by no means the best Tales, but it's a good game nevertheless. I still don't understand why they didn't release both games at once, I mean Dawn of the New World too.

Well, I think they're planning to impress people with Symphonia first, so people will buy Dawn of the New World later. If people love Symphonia, they're likely to buy the sequel, expecting to take a new amazing journey in the same world and characters they love.

In short,
it's a trap.

I'd imagine Symphonia is going to fall into the same bracket as FFVII in being a lot of folks first entry into the series.

My first Tales was Destiny 2 aka Eternia. <3

Dr Dogg

on PC? probably, considering price, although some probably started with Zesty.

No in general. Even the parallels are there. Symphonia was the first Tales game released in Europe like FFVII, it was also the first 3D released one released in NA also just like FFVII. Granted I, II, IV & VI potentially could have built up more of a user base than Destiny and Eternia did but I bet if you asked all the folks on GAF to name you the first Tales game of the top of their head, Symphonia would be head and shoulders above everything else.

My first Tales was Destiny 2 aka Eternia. <3

Maybe I should have worded that better. How about 'Symphonia was probably us Western baka gaijin's first entry into the series'?

Arthea

No in general. Even the parallels are there. Symphonia was the first Tales game released in Europe like FFVII, it was also the first 3D released one released in NA also just like FFVII. Granted I, II, IV & VI potentially could have built up more of a user base than Destiny and Eternia did but I bet if you asked all the folks on GAF to name you the first Tales game of the top of their head, Symphonia would be head and shoulders above everything else.

Maybe I should have worded that better. How about 'Symphonia was probably us Western baka gaijin's first entry into the series'?

you weren't much into playstation modding scene, I assume, if you think that Europe waited for Namco to check the world map finally.

edited: just checked all Full Tilt Poker debacle, how Valve could let something like that to be released on steam? I thought they can't surprise me anymore, but apparently they still can.

In short,
it's a trap.

it may as well be!

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure Symphonia is also considered one of the best Tales games.

..then finally announce FF X/X-2 HD.
Just according to keikaku.
I'm still waiting on Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, so I can sell my PS4 version.

It was in a very popular humble bundle, so there should be plenty of keys out there.
Didn't realize it was in Humble Bundles. I might see if I can find it next month then.

Jawmuncher

I had a dream that the new platinum ninja turtles game took place in the same universe as Metal Gear Rising. They were talking about finding Sam, and how Raiden destroyed that Metal Gear Ray.

Dr Dogg

you weren't much into playstation modding scene, I assume, if you think that Europe waited for Namco to check the world map finally.

You do know what the definition of a lot is right? Not all but a sizeable amount, ie a large number or amount; a great deal. If you think loads of people had modded PS One's and had a source where they could import games from, let alone this is touching on early days of the internet where knowledge of niche titles (you asked for it!) was nowhere near as prevalent today over say picking up localised and released games in your region then you're just as barmy as the execs that think region locking should be used to clamp down on lost sales through importation.

Ban Puncher

I imported Tales of Symphonia on GC from the US and played a fair bit of it. Then the PAL version was finally released which I also bought but the save game was incompatible so I never played ToS again.

True story.

Holy shit, those Dark Souls III scans.

Firelink Shrine? Man... I can't believe we're actually going back to the Anor Londo, FLS, etc

Gwyndolin is absolutely the Lord of Cinder. Gwyn didn't have legs, was frail, etc... And now, he's older. Finally takes up the throne after his father's passing is my guess.

The new enemy designs are pretty slick, too.

Jawmuncher

Firelink Shrine? Man... I can't believe we're actually going back to the Anor Londo, FLS, etc

Gwyndolin is absolutely the Lord of Cinder. Gwyn didn't have legs, was frail, etc... And now, he's older. Finally takes up the throne after his father's passing is my guess.

I have played every Dark Souls and didn't understand anything you said besides the last one.

Arthea

You do know what the definition of a lot is right? Not all but a sizeable amount, ie a large number or amount; a great deal. If you think loads of people had modded PS One's and had a source where they could import games from, let alone this is touching on early days of the internet where knowledge of niche titles (you asked for it!) was nowhere near as prevalent today over say picking up localised and released games in your region then you're just as barmy as the execs that think region locking should be used to clamp down on lost sales through importation.

you are probably right, not that I know any numbers except for anecdotal evidence not knowing anyone with unmodded PS and sharing games all around, like having actual lists who gets to play what when
lol
I mean US games, of course.

AHA-Lambda

Always amazes me how people get so worked up about achievements :p

What scans? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom