• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Anyone know how to get XCOM EU running on win 10?

Verified files, up to date drivers already done. If I go to play it, it'll show running in steam, but doesn't show in task manager.

Parsnip

The Witness is really rad so far.
Also the first time you notice a thing and decide to test it and it works, the sound design in that moment is perfect.

Phinor

People are buying 6 hour experiences like Order or Uncharted for 60$, so I wonder why people think that Witness for 40$ is too much.

Different people buy $60 titles. Different people consider $40 too high. Sure, you can find individual exceptions but if a person considers $40 for The Witness too high, it's very likely he also considers $60 for The Order 1886 too high.

Personally, for what it is, I think $40 for The Witness is a bit high. If it was sold elsewhere with discount coupons and such, the price would be much easier to absorb but it's only Humble and Steam with no discounts. I also think $60 for The Order 1886 is robbery. For what it includes, $40 launch price would have been better but that's just not how AAA development works. Another similar case (but a much better game) was Until Dawn. I really enjoyed that game, but I don't think it was a $60 experience. These games have re-sell value though, The Witness has zero monetary value after you have bought it.

However, there are no rules for pricing your games. Dragon's Dogma re-release at $30 was a good deal made even better by stores other than Steam. With a regular 25% discount/voucher, The Witness also would have been $30 and with that price option, the amount of complaining would have been half of what it is now. There are various factors as to why $40 The Witness sounds high for many people, but I think it's wrong to think the same people happily pay $60 for a digital copy of a 5 hour shooter but then refuse $40 The Witness.

People are buying 6 hour experiences like Order or Uncharted for 60$, so I wonder why people think that Witness for 40$ is too much.

Without a constant stream of gunfights, it can't be worth that much.

Monsters/henchmen and gunfights are like 50% of a games price.

For me, the price of The Witness wasn't an issue at all. Lengthy game, unique premise, good visuals, no moneygrabbing DLC/micro transactions plans, no unneccesary extra DRM. Can't see why I wouldn't think it was worth what they're asking for.

Dr Dogg

I hope this resurgence in you lot liking puzzle games makes you give TIS-100 a try. The unofficial GAF GOTY 2015!

Oh also #FreeMetalWolf

Different people buy $60 titles. Different people consider $40 too high. Sure, you can find individual exceptions but if a person considers $40 for The Witness too high, it's very likely he also considers $60 for The Order 1886 too high.

Personally, for what it is, I think $40 for The Witness is a bit high. If it was sold elsewhere with discount coupons and such, the price would be much easier to absorb but it's only Humble and Steam with no discounts. I also think $60 for The Order 1886 is robbery. For what it includes, $40 launch price would have been better but that's just not how AAA development works. Another similar case (but a much better game) was Until Dawn. I really enjoyed that game, but I don't think it was a $60 experience. These games have re-sell value though, The Witness has zero monetary value after you have bought it.

However, there are no rules for pricing your games. Dragon's Dogma re-release at $30 was a good deal made even better by stores other than Steam. With a regular 25% discount/voucher, The Witness also would have been $30 and with that price option, the amount of complaining would have been half of what it is now. There are various factors as to why $40 The Witness sounds high for many people, but I think it's wrong to think the same people happily pay $60 for a digital copy of a 5 hour shooter but then refuse $40 The Witness.

What's the issue with $40 for The Witness though? If it's just not your type of game then any price is too high.

I'm not interested in The Witness, but I think $40 is a fair price tag. It's a beautiful game and quite long from what I've heard. If you're interested in the game, you should get it at that price.

It's around $20 here in my store, by the way.

Mother-of-God-GIF_1.gif

The thing is that 40$ game offers far more content/length than an order or Uncharted.

Order and Uncharted have music.

And Witness has a far better sounddesign. I am playing it with headphones and everything sounds so great.

I don't think The Witness is too expensive because it's an indie, I just find $40 in general to be too expensive for me anymore. I just have a hard time dropping $40 on a game anymore, especially with how quickly stuff drops in price and how big my backlog is. $30 is ideal for me in terms of what I will buy day 1 with some exceptions of course.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Cities: Skylines Snowfall Developer Diary 2

Traffic is an important thing in any city.

Traffic and winter is a whole different challenge! For Snowfall, we wanted to make sure there’s something new affecting traffic. We settled on to two major things: snow on the roads and road maintenance. While the snow plows will be discussed later, this text will shed some light on what else is new in the game.

JCWQxV8.png

The road maintenance service, unlike the snow plows, is available on all maps. What the maintenance service does is that it gives some extra care to roads, allowing vehicles to travel on them faster. Normal roads in normal condition are fine and good, but with a road maintenance service covering the city streets, the traffic can get an extra boost from higher maximum speeds on the roads. The boost a maintenance truck gives fades away with time, but if the service covers the city well, the trucks travel to boost the roads that have the least boost left on them. Road maintenance can be used with the snow plow services, so that boosted roads don’t suffer from snow as fast as non-boosted roads.

Then the thing many people have been waiting for: trams! They are something we have been planning for a long time and finally get to share with you. Trams operate on tracks and reside in a tram depot when they are not on lines. The basic principle is much the same as with buses: the budget defines how many trams are available in the depot or depots, and the vehicles are divided between lines depending on line length. Longer lines get more vehicles than shorter lines. To get more vehicles, increase the city budget for the service. Trams need to be able to reach the line from the depot, so you may need to lay some extra tracks to allow trams to get to lines further away from the depot.

mnKbXaH.jpg

To build tracks, you can upgrade/downgrade existing roads to versions with tracks, or build new roads with tracks. There are both regular two-way roads and one way roads with tracks. As a finishing touch, tram tracks have overhead wires.

To give the trams some advantages over buses, tram tracks can also be built as standalone versions with no road beneath them. The standalone tracks are very handy for getting your trams to avoid busy intersections or streets known to be crowded. Stops can only be placed on roads and pedestrian pathways, but the standalone tracks allow for nice little detours to keep your trams free from traffic jams.

5IzlCES.jpg

Trams have a higher passenger capacity than buses (20 for buses, 30 for trams), but also have a little higher upkeep costs per distance traveled, about 15% more than for buses. For best results, trams should be used as short inner city lines, and buses and metros can handle longer distances. Trams do not benefit from road maintenance boost, but also are not hindered by snow.

WUNmnAt.jpg

To get the winter theme really going, we have done lots of variations of existing buildings. This means your city does not need to have palm trees waving in the snow storm, or citizens hanging out on piers in the freezing cold. Things like flower pots are modified to fit the winter to keep the city looking consistent. Some buildings are only available to players who also own After Dark, but many are variations to the base game ones. My favourites are the agricultural buildings on fertile land, which are greenhouses on winter maps. You will also see many new parks that fit winter time better than the default parks.

These new additions to the game are available in the paid expansion. We feel they give a lot of new possibilities to handling roads, traffic and public transportation. I can’t wait to see all the cool tram systems you will be building!

Arthea

What's the issue with $40 for The Witness though? If it's just not your type of game then any price is too high.

Isn't that obvious? It's is made by a dev of Braid, instead of popular belief not all people like Braid, and yet the Witness costs two time more than usually these type of games cost. And you can't know you would like it before playing. Maybe it is worth that money, how would we know? We only can compare with what we know.

Isn't that obvious? It's is made by a dev of Braid, instead of popular belief not all people like Braid, and yet the Witness costs two time more than usually these type of games cost. And you can't know you would like it before playing. Maybe it is worth that money, how would we know? We only can compare with what we know.

Usually "these types of games" dont really exist besides Portal and Thalos and both were also full price titles.

People who think that this is a walking simulator are wrong and usually those are also 20$ for about 2-4 hours of gameplay.

Arthea

Usually "these types of games" dont really exist besides Portal and Thalos and both were also full price titles.

People who think that this is a walking simulator are wrong and usually those are also 20$ for about 2-4 hours of gameplay.

usually these type of games exist in numbers and not all of them are 2-4 hours long and as I said before, I was on media blackout for the Witness and I have no idea how long it is.

OK, even if it's not a walking sim, what yet to be proven, I still think it's too expensive, yeah Talos was too.

edited: clarification, I bought Talos for less, it's only one game that was fairly priced in my region, so I have no complaints about its price.

winter is coming!
Those winter screenshots look nice

edited: talking about that revenue data, I'm surprised CS GO is so low on the list.

Phinor

The thing is that 40$ game offers far more content/length than an order or Uncharted.

Content/length is only one factor when someone is considering what they consider fair or too high. Personally I don't like the content/length variable when the variable (depending on genre/type) goes above, say, 10 hours. If I was given a choice between 10 hour $20 and 100 hour $40 game of exactly equal quality from start to finish, I'd probably go for the 10 hour game unless it's literally going to be my favourite game of the year. Someone else thinks length/content is a huge factor for value and that's fine. For a lot of people, the amount of content can easily turn into a negative. On the other hand, for a lot of other people length is a deciding factor (along with quality) when they evaluate price.

It's not simple yes/no situation and that's why it's not fair to say people pay $60 for The Order but refuse to pay $40 for The Witness.

(Someone might reply to the content issue with something like "But you don't have to play all 100 hours of a game, play 10 hours and leave it at that". I don't think most games work like that though. Most games offer the best experience when you you go through them from start to finish. Side content is the part you skip if anything. Finishing a game brings a whole different level of satisfaction compared to just playing it for a while and then quitting.)

usually these type of games exist in numbers and not all of them are 2-4 hours long and as I said before, I was on media blackout for the Witness and I have no idea how long it is.

OK, even if it's not a walking sim, what yet to be proven, I still think it's too expensive, yeah Talos was too.

You're on a media blackout of the game and claim it's too expensive? It's up to you to do the research as to whether or not it's worth the money. You can't complain it's too expensive when you've avoided all information about the game.

edited: clarification, I bought Talos for less, it's only one game that was fairly priced in my region, so I have no complaints about its price.

I also have to clarify that Witness was 15$ here, but I dont get, how it should be priced then?
What games should have a 40$ price then? Just content-rich games like Witcher, Dragon Age Inquisition?

Witness offers a lot of content, great atmosphere, really good length it seems, a lot of mysteries, a big island.

The times when each Indie-game was 10$, just because it wasnt developed by a big publisher are over. I dont understand the sentiment that this game should be 10$ just because it isnt from Ubisoft, EA, Sony etc.

Dr Dogg

Dragon Age Inquisition was like getting a bumper sized tin of Quality Street but finding out that it only contained Toffee Pennies. Fine if you like them I guess but after about 50 of them your teeth are going to start to ache.

Ludens

Banned
I can finally stop playing MGO, I think (at least for now).
I did the ascension for the infiltrator, got a crappy costume (basically it's the infiltrator suit from MGSV) and 10000 GP.
I have the enforcer at level 17 and scout level 1, but I won't bother anymore, maybe just when Konami will add the new maps/modes (if they are free).

Also what does this mean?

I can't understand if it's just a bug or whatever, since I have all blueprints 8and that one is online only).

Arthea

I also have to clarify that Witness was 15$ here, but I dont get, how it should be priced then?
What games should have a 40$ price then? Just content-rich games like Witcher, Dragon Age Inquisition?

Witness offers a lot of content, great atmosphere, really good length it seems, a lot of mysteries, a big island.

The times when each Indie-game was 10$, just because it wasnt developed by a big publisher are over. I dont understand the sentiment that this game should be 10$ just because it isnt from Ubisoft, EA, Sony etc.

40€ is a top price I'm willing to pay for a game (I rarely go above, as I'm still fighting my hopeless fight against 50€ game price), even that is too much for me, but I pay it for games when I'm sure I'll like it, and in certain genres, gameplay mechanics involved, based on looks too, it's complex. What I mean, I'm not saying the Witness is not worth that price, because I don't know, but given my experience with a dev before and these type of games before, I don't see myself paying this price for it ever. Yet again, I have too many games, so my perception is somewhat skewed by how much I want it over games I already play and like.

You're on a media blackout of the game and claim it's too expensive? It's up to you to do the research as to whether or not it's worth the money. You can't complain it's too expensive when you've avoided all information about the game.

That doesn't mean I know nothing about a game, c'mon

MUnited83

For you.

winter is coming!
Those winter screenshots look nice

edited: talking about that revenue data, I'm surprised CS GO is so low on the list.
Yet to be proven?

LOL
Its not a walking sim and thats a fact.

So its been a year, im back to steamgaf thread for mean reason.
At what time i will be able to unlock new lara Croft by using which proxy/vpn ?

Arthea

Yet to be proven?

LOL
Its not a walking sim and thats a fact.

I'm not gonna watch gameplay vids, because if I did, I won't buy it ever, there would be no point and from what I've seen before it was released, I got such impressions.
OK, I'll take your word that it's not a waking sim. Happy now?

Interesting titbit (well it's interesting to me!) their review is only 150 words more than what I wrote for the OP.

you should accept this challenge and add 150 words to your writeup

rtcn63

I've always disliked Chris' campaign in RE6 since you're meant to play it more like a cover based shooter. Like the ammo lenience, it conflicts somewhat with the new melee system since it's so easy to be damaged/knocked out of a melee finishing move animation. Also I still hate that you get knocked back when losing a block of health, it's not a big issue in Leon's campaign, but because bullets are flying everywhere it really serves you to not do anything but stay in cover and shoot if possible.

And that first part. I'm playing on Pro difficulty (with skills equipped admittedly), and even during my vanilla runs through Normal and Veteran, that sequence where you have to defend against waves of enemies while waiting for a helicopter to arrive never gets fun. It doesn't help that the game never really gives you a tutorial on advanced maneuvers (dodging, rolling, etc.) and that you don't pick up a single health item until the next area.

And hilariously, when the helicopter did arrive, as soon as the cutscene ended I was melee'd by a Javo and killed near instantly. It was as if he already initiated the attack during before and I had absolutely no time to react.

RE6 is one of those games where you can see how it could be so much better with just some minor tweaks. I know the climbing QTE was hell in the early days of the game, but that inventory... if they ever "remaster" RE6, they need to give you an inventory a la Revelations 2 or even RE5. Just being able to hotkey weapons would improve the fun factor drastically.

Dr Dogg

I always felt that Chris and Piers' campaign was a better coop shooter than even Gears. Some of the enemy setup and level design might seem shit for single player but it really does encourage the unique skills of each character. Plus with its bromance heavy direction and cinematics it's the shining example that love can bloom on the battlefield.

you should accept this challenge and add 150 words to your writeup

Quality over quantity Arthea. Also if I was going to do anything I should probably spell check it again.

rtcn63

I always felt that Chris and Piers' campaign was a better coop shooter than even Gears. Some of the enemy setup and level design might seem shit for single player but it really does encourage the unique skills of each character. Plus with its bromance heavy direction and cinematics it's the shining example that love can bloom on the battlefield.

I would play it over Gears as well, 1 and 2 at least. I've always preferred the feel of the shooting in RE (even 6) over Uncharted, Gears, and their clones. And among those, TR probably did it best.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For those that ordered there (ie probably just me and jshackles) Rise of the Tomb Raider keys are up on GMG.

And not you're not going crazy your are seeing me post this twice.

Thanks for the heads up! Time to pre-load I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom