• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gonna watch gameplay vids, because if I did, I won't buy it ever, there would be no point and from what I've seen before it was released, I got such impressions.
OK, I'll take your word that it's not a waking sim. Happy now?

I thought you knew what the game was though? Hence why it's not worth your money.

It's a puzzle game, I feel like that part is pretty clear.

Maniac

Banned
This.

I got games like XCOM 2 and FO4 for £20, I'm not paying £30 for Witness

Ooooo Canada, ooooo Canada!

I don't know the national anthem thing
I don't think The Witness is too expensive because it's an indie, I just find $40 in general to be too expensive for me anymore. I just have a hard time dropping $40 on a game anymore, especially with how quickly stuff drops in price and how big my backlog is. $30 is ideal for me in terms of what I will buy day 1 with some exceptions of course.

Oooooh Canada, ooooh Canada..!

No seriously I really have no idea, but I seem to remember some oooo'ing or some such, so I figure I'm close enough.

I'm lttp, currently playing Talos.
I really like it so far, but it's starting to feel pretty repetitive. I worry that it will grow stale over its run time. And The Witness is significantly longer? Does that not seem too long for a puzzle game?

Dr Dogg

I would play it over Gears as well, 1 and 2 at least. I've always preferred the feel of the shooting in RE (even 6) over Uncharted, Gears, and their clones. And among those, TR probably did it best.

Well I hold Gears 1-3 in high regard as to their coop play but I felt RE6, with it's extension to so many mechanics and having Chris as your CQC character and Piers as the long range support character worked surprisingly well.

Nvidia drivers for The Division Beta and RotTR are out.

Please have SLI bits for The Division, please have SLI bits for The Division, please have SLI bits for The Division.

I really don't want to go pulling apart PCs at the mo.

rtcn63

I really like it so far, but it's starting to feel pretty repetitive. I worry that it will grow stale over its run time. And The Witness is significantly longer? Does that not seem too long for a puzzle game?

Those games are definitely intended for the die hards, the people who live and breathe puzzle games more or less. I mean I've played RE4-6 so many times because third-person shooters are my particular thing.

The last puzzle game I really put time into was... Crush on the PSP?

Arthea

I thought you knew what the game was though? Hence why it's not worth your money.

It's a puzzle game, I feel like that part is pretty clear.
Yes, from what I've seen it looked like first person walking sim-puzzle game. Even if it isn't walking sim, everything else still stands.

Also as clear that I never in my life paid that much for puzzle game, any type, nor I was asked to pay that much in most of cases.
What are you arguing about, actually? That it's worth 40€? I already said many times, that for me it isn't, at this point, I said why too.
I'm glad for you that you spent your money well in this case, though.

edited: we all should upvote Aselia, btw

Not if the puzzles are interesting. Game length means nothing since a game can either fill that length with quality content or garbage filler. From what I've heard it sounds like The Witness is the former.

Maniac

Banned
I also have to clarify that Witness was 15$ here, but I dont get, how it should be priced then?
What games should have a 40$ price then? Just content-rich games like Witcher, Dragon Age Inquisition?

Witness offers a lot of content, great atmosphere, really good length it seems, a lot of mysteries, a big island.

The times when each Indie-game was 10$, just because it wasnt developed by a big publisher are over. I dont understand the sentiment that this game should be 10$ just because it isnt from Ubisoft, EA, Sony etc.
Expecting a game that's been in development for around 6-7 years on a budget of about $6mil to cost $10-20 is... Ridiculous. It's a far-fetched notion that sounds like what you'd hear console gamers shout when saying "indies don't count!", really.

Maniac

Banned

Depends how varied the content is, both in terms of gameplay mechanics, world interaction and both visual & audio design wise.

Any game over two hours is probably too long if it's just the same bit repeated over and over.
This fits The Witness much better imo.

If I pay 40$ for a video game it better at the very least have Souls combat.

So you're a masochist.

Don't worry, I won't judge.

I think both games are around 20h to beat them.

The Witness has quite a lot of extra puzzles and materials, that can last up to 4 times that, but are not needed to beat it.

Maniac

Banned
i can sense myself buying a month to play dragon age 3.

3,99€ is a bargain, even if you don't get to own it.

For three euros I'll poop in an A3-sized letter and ship it to you.

I guarantee you'll be more entertained and have a far less bland, variation-less experience.

And also my poop has a much better narrative.
I think that days when 3rd party publishers could afford to release games only on one or two platforms are behind us. Also time when console manufacturers could offer enough to 3rd party publishers to get their "love" is also behind us. Today video game industry is really big and most devs/publishers are looking only hos to save their ass and if there is place and market to sell their product and cover at least porting costs they will do it. We cans see that on every Sony conference since PS4 announcement. Permanent exclusivity with 3rd party games are rare these days. And in my opinion that is good for the users and for the industry.

Remember back when a developer kit cost around $40.000?

Those were the days, eh?

It makes sense that we see games on way more platforms nowadays; smaller budget affairs can finally afford to get onto consoles, and the huge resurgence in the PC market (which, to be honest, was always viable, just not big enough for a lot of publishers to care) has managed to gain the attention of even the most idiotic, moronic, incompetent, daft and out-of-touch publishers. It's a win-win all around.

Arthea

Expecting a game that's been in development for around 6-7 years on a budget of about $6mil to cost $10-20 is... Ridiculous. It's a far-fetched notion that sounds like what you'd hear console gamers shout when saying "indies don't count!", really.

going by this logic we should gladly pay for FF15 about 140€, no?
I should bookmark this post for that time

Tizoc

Is it me or are 'console game sales figure' GAF kinda weird to comprehend?
Like if a game is on Steam, and then manages to make 100,000+ owners through sales over the course of a year, I mean that'd be a good thing right?
But far as consoles goes, 'legs' aren't exactly a positive thng?

Jawmuncher

I've always disliked Chris' campaign in RE6 since you're meant to play it more like a cover based shooter. Like the ammo lenience, it conflicts somewhat with the new melee system since it's so easy to be damaged/knocked out of a melee finishing move animation. Also I still hate that you get knocked back when losing a block of health, it's not a big issue in Leon's campaign, but because bullets are flying everywhere it really serves you to not do anything but stay in cover and shoot if possible.

And that first part. I'm playing on Pro difficulty (with skills equipped admittedly), and even during my vanilla runs through Normal and Veteran, that sequence where you have to defend against waves of enemies while waiting for a helicopter to arrive never gets fun. It doesn't help that the game never really gives you a tutorial on advanced maneuvers (dodging, rolling, etc.) and that you don't pick up a single health item until the next area.

And hilariously, when the helicopter did arrive, as soon as the cutscene ended I was melee'd by a Javo and killed near instantly. It was as if he already initiated the attack during before and I had absolutely no time to react.

RE6 is one of those games where you can see how it could be so much better with just some minor tweaks. I know the climbing QTE was hell in the early days of the game, but that inventory... if they ever "remaster" RE6, they need to give you an inventory a la Revelations 2 or even RE5. Just being able to hotkey weapons would improve the fun factor drastically.

I could have sworn weapons were tied to the dpad in RE6.

Is it me or are 'console game sales figure' GAF kinda weird to comprehend?
Like if a game is on Steam, and then manages to make 100,000+ owners through sales over the course of a year, I mean that'd be a good thing right?
But far as consoles goes, 'legs' aren't exactly a positive thng?

Everything must sell at least 1m or it wont be a success.

Even if the publisher says they were overwhelmed when a game sold 100.000, they must be lying!

Wok

Talos is ultra-repetitive but gets new mechanics along the game, and smart puzzles near the end.

Phinor

Nvidia drivers for The Division Beta and RotTR are out.

Time to check if they fixed whatever they broke. The last drivers that don't immediately get stuck at low clockrates when starting certain games* with my GTX 970 are 358.50 from early October.

*List of certain games include all Unreal engine games, most Unity games... on the other hand all frostbite games work fine so cheers for that EA.

Maniac

Banned

I'm just saying it makes no logical sense in any way whatsoever to expect a game in development for over half a decade and with a several-million budget to cost the same as something made in half a year on a budget of some tens of thousands is ridiculous. I'm not in any way whatsoever saying that budget + man hours = price, but neither should the price be dictated by it being "indie". That would mean every Valve game since HL1 should've been 10-20 bucks.

Again, not a reasonable logic just because a studio is independent. The quality (and quantity, but with the aforementioned quality taking precedence) should be all that matters; not some silly label.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm not gonna watch gameplay vids, because if I did, I won't buy it ever, there would be no point and from what I've seen before it was released, I got such impressions.
OK, I'll take your word that it's not a waking sim. Happy now?

you should accept this challenge and add 150 words to your writeup
You don't need to look up gameplay vídeos to know this. Literally all you have to do os read anything about it at all. Its like saying "oh the new call of duty is a walking sim and that can't be disproven because I didn't see a video!"

I mean, if you ignore very basic economics? FF15 sales projection is much higher than The Witness, so they can afford to sell it for 60€. Thats very simple.

Dr Dogg

So whilst bumbling around the DB to try see what could be released with the DD/Season Pass of RotTR day one I stumble upon the depot page...
https://steamdb.info/sub/90029/depots/

Which has a fair few depot labelled 'Mac' much like the SteamPlay title Tomb Raider...
https://steamdb.info/app/203160/depots/

Now that's not exactly surprising these days but did a Mac version ever get announced? I seem to only recall PC and PS4 versions being mentioned.

Oooooorr as madjoki points out this is because TR13 is bundled with it.

Arthea

You don't need to look up gameplay vídeos to know this. Literally all you have to do os read anything about it at all. Its like saying "oh the new call of duty is a walking sim and that can't be disproven because I didn't see a video!"

I mean, if you ignore very basic economics? FF15 sales projection is much higher than The Witness, so they can afford to sell it for 60€. Thats very simple.

but I was told that CoD is a camping sim, that would be opposite to walking, no?

let's not kid ourselves, no matter how much FF15 sells, no matter price, it can't pay for itself, that's not possible anymore.

derExperte

Time to check if they fixed whatever they broke. The last drivers that don't immediately get stuck at low clockrates when starting certain games* with my GTX 970 are 358.50 from early October.

*List of certain games include all Unreal engine games, most Unity games... on the other hand all frostbite games work fine so cheers for that EA.

Sounds like the issue the last hotfix-driver fixed.

Ban Puncher

With as along as it took the witness to Coke out, seems like there are still plenty of issues.

eluKNIk.gif

I have played every Dark Souls and didn't understand anything you said besides the last one.
Do you remember any of the words in those games? ._.
Speaking of achievements im still curious what Street Fighter Vs are. Hoping they make a more balanced list, rather than the annoying SF4 one.
SF4's in the grand scheme of things aren't that bad really.

THE WITNESS doesn't have micro-transactions or DLC and JONATHAN BLOW isn't Chinese. Support your local auteurs, buy genuine Made in USA products.
Lol.
This fits The Witness much better imo.

If I pay 40$ for a video game it better at the very least have Souls combat.
Even joking this post kinda hurts.

And I don't even care about the Witness.

Jawmuncher

Do you remember any of the words in those games? ._.
SF4's in the grand scheme of things aren't that bad really.

Lol.

Even joking this post kinda hurts.

And I don't even care about the Witness.

Praise the Sun!

-----

As for SF4 achievements, they just got old after awhile. A good chunk are beat arcade mode a ton of times, now on hard, now with no continues. I want to see a bit more variety.

Ooh helldiver is the free ps+ game for next month. I cant tell you how many times i was just 2 steps away from buying it on either pc or ps. Only reason i kept hesitating was cause i dont have people to play it with but now that wont be a problem

rtcn63

I could have sworn weapons were tied to the dpad in RE6.

You use left and right to scroll through a list. You can rearrange them so that your preferred guns are closer to one another, but there's no way to drop/store weapons you aren't using. Whereas in RE5 (and I believe Rev1/2), you could assign weapons/items to left, right, up, and down.

Jawmuncher

Oh yeah, Jawmuncher alert
header.jpg

This game has a dinosaur.
Japan knows what's up

You use left and right to scroll through a list. You can rearrange them so that you're preferred guns are closer to one another, but there's no way to drop/store weapons you aren't using. Whereas in RE5, you could assign weapons/items into left, right, up, and down.

Hoping the RE6 HD is a improved version like DMC4 SE. That hopefully has improvements that come to PC.

madjoki

So whilst bumbling around the DB to try see what could be released with the DD/Season Pass of RotTR day one I stumble upon the depot page...
https://steamdb.info/sub/90029/depots/

Which has a fair few depot labelled 'Mac' much like the SteamPlay title Tomb Raider...
https://steamdb.info/app/203160/depots/

Now that's not exactly surprising these days but did a Mac version ever get announced? I seem to only recall PC and PS4 versions being mentioned.

That's because it includes Tomb Raider as preorder bonus.

Parsnip

Get your grafix nerd hat on with the RotTR PC Tech Features video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dfr04Sk03U

Although that's a pretty awful aniso example and no where near a steep enough angle to show it off properly. I've got a much better one some where in my screenies. Tessellation example is flipping night a bloody day though.
Earlier I was thinking that I might flip sacrifice tesselation for performance if need be, but looking at that video, I don't know if I can anymore. Damn it.

You said you were done with the game! I thought I could finally rest from having a strong desire to play it, yet here you are posting about it again.

Nice video, next time have Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone playing over it please.
Campaign is done! But the "Showcases" are untouched. There are more than a dozen and each focuses on a certain tactic or vehicle (night ops, helicopter, scuba ops etc.).
There is no story line between these showcases but instead each is a short story consisting of various tasks.
Haha, when I was playing I wished I had Bird of Prey playing in the background :)
What's the issue with $40 for The Witness though? If it's just not your type of game then any price is too high.
Pretty much my opinion. Value is subjective. Nothing wrong with Witness being 40$ at all. There are plenty who will find it well worth it.
dwightschrute.jpeg

29 today nooooo

Shower me with your Bad Rats gifts
Happy birthday to me!
Happy birthday to both of you.

Jawmuncher

They could also entirely omit the Jake campaign, and whenever he's supposed to be on screen, all the other characters could be asking "Where's Jake"?

I like Jake though. Really curious where 7 will go. Jake seems like a mainstay of some kind. But Capcom loves to go all over the place.

Dr Dogg

Here's a good texture filtering performance example.

Just look at the state of that map when then camera is at a low angle!

That's because it includes Tomb Raider as preorder bonus.

That is a very good point.

Earlier I was thinking that I might flip sacrifice tesselation for performance if need be, but looking at that video, I don't know if I can anymore. Damn it.

As always I tend to ignore any tweaks and performance guides or articles other than Nvidia's as they never go into enough detail to know how each setting effect performance across a broad range of hardware. Always best to wait until I've got the game in my own hands and then go tweaking for a couple of hours and see what compromises I'm going to have to make.

rtcn63

I like Jake though. Really curious where 7 will go. Jake seems like a mainstay of some kind. But Capcom loves to go all over the place.

Yeah, he wasn't bad. His interactions with Chris though... MGS4 had more coherent drama.

I just hope Capcom learned its lesson and takes cues from the previous RE's and the Rev games. Keep the third-person action, just make sure they get the basics right- combat, controls, pacing, upgrades, etc. I don't care so much if the story is shit if everything else is in place, although RE6 has put the bar pretty low.

Ooh helldiver is the free ps+ game for next month. I cant tell you how many times i was just 2 steps away from buying it on either pc or ps. Only reason i kept hesitating was cause i dont have people to play it with but now that wont be a problem

I got it on ps4/vita because it wouldn't be coming to PC, then it came to PC and now it's gonna be on PS+.
Sony really loves me.

Ludens

Banned
In RE7 Umbrella (now officially Umbrella Galactic Entreprises) created alien zombies and you play as Chris's daughter looking for a treatment for alcoholism for his father, meanwhile giant whales will invade Manhattan and here Capcom will introduce a new character, Ahab, who wants catch the white whale alive in order to sell him microtransactions.

Knurek

Let me tell you about little puzzle game called Picross 3D.
Or about another little puzzle game called Pic Pic.
Or about another another little puzzle game called Everyday Genius: Squarelogic.
All three take at least 100 hours to complete, not counting the optional puzzles/DLCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom