• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, he wasn't bad. His interactions with Chris though... MGS4 had more coherent drama.

I just hope Capcom learned its lesson and takes cues from the previous RE's and the Rev games. Keep the third-person action, just make sure they get the basics right- combat, controls, pacing, upgrades, etc. I don't care so much if the story is shit if everything else is in place, although RE6 has put the bar pretty low.

I want the mainline games to keep the action as their focus. While just offering better atmosphere and tighter design like RE4 and most of RE5. While the story isn't confusing I will say it's in a odd place right now. We've had two games with big Corp that is then shut down. Now we have the patriot type plot going and that's not even count rev 2s ideas.

Tizoc

In RE7 Umbrella (now officially Umbrella Galactic Entreprises) created alien zombies and you play as Chris's daughter looking for a treatment for alcoholism for his father, meanwhile giant whales will invade Manhattan and here Capcom will introduce a new character, Ahab, who wants catch the white whale alive in order to sell him microtransactions.

Dino Crisis 3 all over again.

Parsnip

As always I tend to ignore any tweaks and performance guides or articles other than Nvidia's as they never go into enough detail to know how each setting effect performance across a broad range of hardware. Always best to wait until I've got the game in my own hands and then go tweaking for a couple of hours and see what compromises I'm going to have to make.
For sure.
It just didn't seem like a huge deal based on the screens I saw before so I had already put it on the preliminary cutting board. Now there's still very high pure hair, sun soft shadows and possibly very high textures on the board.

Or maybe I don't have to cut anything.

Knurek

Arthea alert!

ss_d19b45045eabfc18f7deb53f6fdf3e91e3b7d9cd.600x338.jpg

$1 with two other games in the latest Indie Gala bundle

Dr Dogg

Here's ROTR Depots: (There show as numbers on steamdb, since they don't have data for this game).

http://pastebin.com/EC7Si1UH

Nothing suggets mac or linux support

Interesting to see DET get his own branch. Also Razer? The comments lead to Razer Chroma. Isn't that their blingtastic multicoloured keyboard? I guess you get some Tomb Raider specific flashing lights whilst you play then.

Edit: So Razer products will now not only break earlier than expect but will probably cause you to have a seizure too.

For sure.
It just didn't seem like a huge deal based on the screens I saw before so I had already put it on the preliminary cutting board. Now there's still very high pure hair, sun soft shadows and possibly very high textures on the board.

Or maybe I don't have to cut anything.

I normally try and find the setting tweaks for stuff I wont really notice in the heat of gameplay, stuff like shadow resolution down a notch, screen space effects like AO and reflections that are usually a one off hit, effects that use hardware AA for masking purposes etc because I find those tend to be the biggest hitters in performance terms compared to the degradation of visuals going lower settings (you'd need a microscope to notice the difference between High and Very High tessellation settings in most landscapes in DA:I for example). Then obviously for screenshots framerate doesn't make hardly any difference so will crank everything up, maybe dial the resolution back until I've got the shot lined up then hit it with something fucking crazy for the capture.

how are they not all fighters?

I hate Smash as much as the next guy. But it's still a fighting game. I haven't seen enough of Pokken to know but from what I hear it plays like the Naruto Ninja Storm games which aren't fighting games. But as I say, I don't know enough.

Personally, I don't consider a party brawler to be the same thing as a legitimate fighting game. Just because a community force

And if you're counting Smash as a fighting game, surely the Naruto Ninja Storm games are fighters.

Kyougar

Is it me or are 'console game sales figure' GAF kinda weird to comprehend?
Like if a game is on Steam, and then manages to make 100,000+ owners through sales over the course of a year, I mean that'd be a good thing right?
But far as consoles goes, 'legs' aren't exactly a positive thng?

Most of them only look at the Opening month. Everything after that is salestier garbage.

And in regards to Steam ownership numbers:

- If a game never had a Sale it would still be considered as having made all of it's purchases at 85% Sales price
- or if it was pointed out that it never got a Sale. The Argument now is, that it is cheaper than console, so the Publisher disregards these numbers
- if a game had one Sale for some days, it is now considered, that all copies of the game were done with the maximal Sale% in mind.
- if a game was in a Humble Bundle, it is considered, that all of the copies are from the hunble bundle and doesnt count. even if the Bundle sold only 50k units and/or the Game was in the highest tier.

I can tell you with certainty, that when we do a "FALLOUT 4 has 3 Million owners on Steam" Thread, the first thing People would point out, is the 4 or 5 Days it was on Sale in the Winter Sale. It wouldnt matter that Fallout 4 only did 70k copies in that timeframe.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The Witness looks amazing.
Correction: The Witness is amazing.
I love it.

If you enjoy exploring well made videogame worlds; buy this game.

Well you're wrong. It doesn't really matter if you consider it a fighter or not cause at the end of the day it is.

Yeah and The Legend of Zelda is an RPG. :lol

If your definition of a fighting game is "does my player character hit another character?", then sure, it's a fighter.

But if you ask Sakurai, the man who created the game/series what it is... it's not a fighter:

Sakurai said:
I think the idea of the fighting game genre can be somewhat limiting. People have defined in their own minds what constitutes a fighting game, and that can be such a specific set of characteristics that when other people are viewing a game from the outside and they learn it's a fighting game, they may predetermine it's not for them simply because of what they expect from it as a fighting game.

When planning the development of a new game, I always take a lot of care to discuss the concept and try to define it as best I can. For example, I like to think of Smash as a four-player battle royal action game. You'll notice that's a lot longer than saying it's a fighting game, because 'fighting game' is a completely different label. You can talk about a fighting game or an action game or a racing game, but as soon as you define your game specifically in those terms, you start limiting your creative range because you're thinking of the limitations of that genre. Perhaps the best thing we can do now is start with a concept rather than a genre. If we can do that, perhaps we can grow the whole idea a little bit.

Personally, I don't consider a party brawler to be the same thing as a legitimate fighting game. Just because a community force

And if you're counting Smash as a fighting game, surely the Naruto Ninja Storm games are fighters.

Technically it is. It's just not very competitive or deep. At least as far as I know, which is nothing.

Apparently Hard Reset is getting a Redux version for PS4/X1 and they're bringing it to Steam/GOG too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13GKrC0Nc8

Technically it is. It's just not very competitive or deep. At least as far as I know, which is nothing.

Was it designed to be competitive? Not the way it's played now, no. But that's the one thing I will give the Smash community. They made the game competitive and built a hell of a community around that.
Deep? That's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I was getting a little of that too. Might look into widening the fov.
there's also some annoyances about how movement kind of needs a ramp up which is kind of annoying

i also really don't like how slow u walk vs having to hold shift at all times to run. i'm already seeing myself never playing with m&k because it's just tiring my pinky holding shift all the time. i know you're supposed to take in the environment and everything but that's still pretty annoying

And then you remember you pledged Project Phoenix and wanna burn it all down like Nero.
i don't really mind tbh

i never consider kickstarters as preorders and if i don't feel like these people are stealing my money then i'm cool with them stumbling on the way. i'm not expecting a perfectly smooth development schedule and i'm fine with nightmarish. i only put on 15 bucks or something, worst case scenario isn't too terrible and the reward if it pays off is so great

so yeah, i'm not too upset about phoenix, i just kind of forget about it and whenever i get an email from them i'm just hopeful it'll go better

The firelink shrine is one of my favorite places in videogames. Beeing able to see it again in the new game. Dayumn. Wonder how much of the rest of Lordran we'll see again. Anor Londo? Zens Fortress? Undead Burg or what remains of it is probably a given, given its proximity to the firelink shrine.
fuck i quoted u for the other stuff and got this spoiled

neogaf's spoiler system is so fucking shit

Teggy

Latest Dragon's Dogma patch is supposed to fix the low sound issues, so there goes that minor annoyance.

Cool, I adjusted all the music and sound fx down but it still required me to crank my speakers up and then I'd be unpleasantly surprised when I forgot to turn them back down after exiting.

The contrast between the quality of those boobs and her hair is just too much to bear. They need to get TressFX for this stat.

Outside of that and the random "you interrupted my wedding so I'm in a wedding dress" type costume, the actual gameplay/animations/etc. all looked impressively fluid and on point to me. I'd love for T7 to hit PC... at this point there are so many fighters I have on Steam I don't know what to play... but even worse is the ones that are just stuck on my PS3 which I hardly ever boot up...

They should really just port TTT2 over and release it with the announcement that T7 will be on Steam as well. :3

Lomax

Everything must sell at least 1m or it wont be a success.

Even if the publisher says they were overwhelmed when a game sold 100.000, they must be lying!

Publishers move their own goalposts though. Look at Mortal Kombat. MKX sold more copies at $60 than MK9 did at $30, but the MK9 sales were considered so good we got a day one version of MKX, and yet MKX sales were considered so bad they abandoned support early.

Apparently Hard Reset is getting a Redux version for PS4/X1 and they're bringing it to Steam/GOG too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13GKrC0Nc8

Didn't they already do a redux version on pc? Or is this like a re-redux?

Yeah and The Legend of Zelda is an RPG. :lol

If your definition of a fighting game is "does my player character hit another character?", then sure, it's a fighter.

But if you ask Sakurai, the man who created the game/series what it is... it's not a fighter:

and you know what the people who give the $$ consider it? If you guessed fighter then you guessed right!

zkylon

zkylewd
If people followed the suggested spoiler posting protocol, it wouldn't nearly be as bad.
i don't know how he could've made it any better tho

like if u quote this post and i have some fake spoilers here even if it's perfectly properly tagged as DONT CLICK ON THE SPOILER THING
cloud likes crossdressing
(ff7 disc 1 end spoilers) or whatever you still can see the text when you quote it

so if u don't want to get spoiled you can't quote the text but if a poster is talking about multiple stuff and you weren't even paying attention to the spoilered part but your eye just glanced at it by accident (as eyes tend to do) then you're fucked, which is what happened to me and that was a pretty fucking big dark souls 3 spoiler that i really didn't want to know cos it blew a really cool surprise

i mean, i get that bbcode works like this and everything but that doesn't make it any less shit

Dr Dogg

Just take a moment to think about this. Street Fighter, Tekken and Guilty Gear each have unique mechanics and systems, quite different from one another that rely upon precise measurements and frame data (even Mortal Kombat and Injustice as well). So when combining that with animation and art design you usually get a very specific look and feel for each game. Now normally you'd end up getting those built from scratch on their own bespoke engine from the ground up. But now each and everyone of those is an Unreal Engine game and if you didn't know you probably won't even be able tell from over their past efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom