• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve really needs to let publishers change release states on a whim and set up an automated region-by-region release schedule. Even Sony is better about midnight releases and PSN's backend is a bit of a joke (stores being entirely separate, weird bugs, and probably one or two other things).

(Yes, I was hoping against all odds to come home to an unlocked Rise of the Tomb Raider.)

Valve really needs to let publishers change release states on a whim and set up an automated region-by-region release schedule. Even Sony is better about midnight releases and PSN's backend is a bit of a joke (stores being entirely separate, weird bugs, and probably one or two other things).

(Yes, I was hoping against all odds to come home to an unlocked Rise of the Tomb Raider.)

sony is better? ehh. If i pre ordered a game on psn I'd have to wait till 3am because everyone must go by pst time cause of reasonsz

Was it designed to be competitive? Not the way it's played now, no. But that's the one thing I will give the Smash community. They made the game competitive and built a hell of a community around that.
Deep? That's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

To be fair. Street Fighter 2 was never built to be competitive. Just a fun 2 player game. The community made it competitive.

JaseC

sony is better? ehh. If i pre ordered a game on psn I'd have to wait till 3am because everyone must go by pst time cause of reasonsz

The Witness unlocked at 12am PT on PSN while Valve refused to move forward the unlock time of the Steam version. I'm sure it's not the only example.

rtcn63

Dark Souls series spoiler

ouroboros-1.jpg

Not to be confused with (or yes to be confused with)

1279920-uroboros_1.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

To be fair though, Valve needs to do a lot of things to catch up with some aspects of even the worst digital marketplaces.

gelf

You could tell me the ending of Dark Souls 3 and I wouldn't consider it a spoiler.

Ending will be something something, everything is pointless, its a cycle revolving around the flame, onto NG+ we go.

I love Souls but the endings mean nothing to me, the main thing for me to avoid is seeing too many screenshots as I want locations and bosses to be a surprise.

Echoplx

To be fair though, Valve needs to do a lot of things to catch up with some aspects of even the worst digital marketplaces.

Seems like every day I see Live/PSN users complaining about not having features that Steam has had for years.

What are you specifically referring to?

MUnited83

For you.

It is interesting how they can give devs so many freedoms in some ways and then not so much in others.

JaseC

It's just a bit frustrating that the Steamworks Product Data frontend is lightyears ahead of every other DD store when it comes to just how many things publishers have direct control over yet Valve is such a stick in the mud when it comes to release times. You'd think Valve would want to handball release date responsibility to publishers as that'd be one less thing for it to worry about.

Jazz573

5pb is warming up to Steam, right? Steins;Gate should release this year.
If RD and SG both are successful, we might see E17 (and maybe, maybe R11) as well?

Yes. I'd say that's likely. Ever17 needs some cleaning up though. Did the PC version have the TIPS system or was that just the PSP one? I can't remember.

dex3108

Dragon's Dogma Patch 1

Patch #1 Release Notes

• Added 1366x768 resolution support
  • Game should no longer have intermittent controller device detection issues when multiple devices are plugged in. This should address some of the stutter and input issues reported by users including spell/charge attacks not releasing, character ceasing to run etc.
  • Lantern binding issue - When full lantern becomes half-full, it will still be bound to the hotkey. (previously "half full" and "empty" were treated as separate inventory items)
  • Cursed King's Belt - equipping this item on a male character will no longer crash the game
  • Adjusted audio levels – addressed the ‘audio too low’ issue some users encountered
  • VSync set to OFF by default
  • DirectInput controller adjustments:
  • Deadzone for each pad is now stored and configurable via config.ini
  • DualShock 4 on PC will now have the same deadzone sensitivity as on PS4
  • Other DirectInput gamepads will also have a much tighter deadzone as well (the same accuracy/sensitivity as on X360 gamepad)
  • Game logo in Photo Mode – removed artifact on the right edge of the logo watermark.
  • Refresh rate settings – the game will now properly detect the refresh rate set in config.ini
  • Key bindings – mapped “0” as the 'center camera' button.
  • End game credits crashing the game for some users – while this issue could not be reproduced, some changes have been made which should help reduce or eliminate the issue.
Note: the team is still looking into the 5.1/7.1 audio popping/crackling issue that some users have reported. Please stay tuned for a future update.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/367500/announcements/detail/711934997248161798

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems like every day I see Live/PSN users complaining about not having features that Steam has had for years.

What are you specifically referring to?

I could probably write a novel on things that Valve has completely missed the boat on. Some things are service related, like being able to change your Steam account name (although admittedly that's also an issue with PSN users). Others are more nuanced, like being able to see a list of your Steam achievements sorted by the date/time they were unlocked - something that's been possible on Xbox since the 360 first released.

Another thing would be the ability to validate keys before redeeming them. Hell, even Uplay has this. Freakin' Uplay! Additionally, the "privacy options" on Steam are kind of a joke. And how about things that are more or less standard in everything else - like the ability for Steam to suggest friends or to let you enter your own custom "status message"? Even things like uploading a profile picture are clunky and don't have basic options that other services provide, like crop functionality.

There are tons of things like this, both big and small that if fixed would make Steam a lot more user friendly. I do what I can to the website, but there is so much more that could be done if someone at Valve just took the time to listen to user's complaints and implement quality of life improvements across the entirety of the service.

It's just a bit frustrating that the Steamworks Product Data frontend is lightyears ahead of every other DD store when it comes to just how many things publishers have direct control over yet Valve is such a stick in the mud when it comes to release times. You'd think Valve would want to handball release date responsibility to publishers as that'd be one less thing for it to worry about.

I know a few people whose job it used to be to "verify" all of the upcoming releases before they were pushed out to clients. Their concern was always that some unscrupulous developer would push out malicious code using Steam. So they had a whole "review process" before things could be officially launched. If I had to guess, this functionality was purposefully stonewalled for just that reason.

But I agree, it could be better. Like it could be verified beforehand, then let the publishers/developers decide when to release. And if a new build goes up beforehand, it has to go through the process again.

MUnited83

For you.
I could probably write a novel on things that Valve has completely missed the boat on. Some things are service related, like being able to change your Steam account name (although admittedly that's also an issue with PSN users).

This is definitely one of my most wanted things that Steam is missing.

That and a proper general achievements page. It's mindblowing that you can show off your rarest achievements on your page yet there's no way of properly categorizing achievements and see the achievements of your friends without going to your friend's game list and check each game individually.

jshackles

Website based key redemption would be nice Valve.

Oh god yes. Also the question of "what exactly doesn't Valve have that others do" is giving me some mild PTSD.

Jazz573

I have no idea what the TIPS system is so probably PSP only.

It's basically a glossary thing.

Remember11 I believe did it first. And then it was added to the PSP versions of Never7 and Ever17. I think the 360 version of Ever17 probably has it. Steins;Gate also has the system, but there are a number of ex-KID staff at 5pb, so that'd probably be why.

Knurek

Oh god yes. Also the question of "what exactly doesn't Valve have that others do" is giving me some mild PTSD.

I think people who ask that question should remove Enchanted Steam from their browser and then spend a week or so (trying to) use the store.
95% more questions asked this way.

JaseC

I know a few people whose job it used to be to "verify" all of the upcoming releases before they were pushed out to clients. Their concern was always that some unscrupulous developer would push out malicious code using Steam. So they had a whole "review process" before things could be officially launched. If I had to guess, this functionality was purposefully stonewalled for just that reason.

But I agree, it could be better. Like it could be verified beforehand, then let the publishers/developers decide when to release. And if a new build goes up beforehand, it has to go through the process again.

Dusk said a while back that data uploaded to Steam is automatically scanned for viruses/malware. I would understand a concern that an upset dev could change the release state of a game to "unavailable" and thereby remove said game from user libraries (although this wouldn't affect subs with a release state override), but it'd be relatively trivial to have the "released" state be final and preclude any further changes.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm getting irritated over the steam reviews for The Witness, guess no handholding puzzle games that rely on you being able to learn from the puzzles without having someone to tell you exactly what you're supposed to do is not attractive.

Also almost all reviews seems to have less than 70% approving the review is helpful, guess it's a divicive game in opinions.
I love it and would hope more pick it up but it seems the steam userbase is still pretty hung up on the "indie for $40? No never because it's not AAA then it can't be $40 even if it is a big budget indie and everything"

jshackles

Not anymore, it was removed, now it's like Steam and keys instantly activate.

That's a shame, it was a good feature and infinitely more useful for a lot of reasons.

Dr Dogg

Must. Stop. Watching. Gravity Rush Remastered. Videos!

You mean where you just click a button? They used to allow that. Or do you mean redeeming keys in the browser rather than the client?

No like the sort where you can redeem key in a browser rather than having to use the client. MS and Sony have allowed to do this for flipping ages. Steam? Who know if let alone when.

I'm getting irritated over the steam reviews for The Witness, guess no handholding puzzle games that rely on you being able to learn from the puzzles without having someone to tell you exactly what you're supposed to do is not attractive.

Also almost all reviews seems to have less than 70% approving the review is helpful, guess it's a divicive game in opinions.
I love it and would hope more pick it up but it seems the steam userbase is still pretty hung up on the "indie for $40? No never because it's not AAA then it can't be $40 even if it is a big budget indie and everything"

Its funny because AAA games are $80 not $40 at least in Maple Syrup Land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom