• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you playing it with a Dreamcast controller?

Probably one of those xbox medieval torture devices. ;)

Is it a coincidence that Jonathan Blow's views on piracy are consistent with what the industry used to think about 8 years ago, the last time he released a game? Has he been sequestered on his island for this long and just completely missed what happened with PC gaming in the mean time?

Has he ever been "in touch" with reality as far as this stuff goes?

Well, had a fantastic night playing Street Fighter V beta, now I'm going to sleep.
Good bye ladies and gentlemen!

PS: obviously left thumb is aching, at least it's not bleeding :D

Thumb aching? How do you hurt your thumb on a joystick?

speaking of killer instinct, i can't wait for the pc release. I want to use the grudge looking girl, her design is dope as fuck.

This I agree with you on, 150%. The game looked alright until I saw her and then I thought, "I need to play this NOW!"

cyba89

Is it a coincidence that Jonathan Blow's views on piracy are consistent with what the industry used to think about 8 years ago, the last time he released a game? Has he been sequestered on his island for this long and just completely missed what happened with PC gaming in the mean time?

Why are people taking every comment against piracy as an attack against pc gaming?

I don't get why people are getting so upset about this.

Kagemusha

Guy should have known that an indie puzzle game would never make enough money to cover 7 years of development time.

His childish crying about piracy made me remove his game from my wish list. I hope he retires and never makes another game so I don't have to hear the loser cry again.

Man I really regret going into that J. Blow piracy thread. Just a whole lot of assinine comments in there. I think a little bit of my brain cells died.

Guy should have known that an indie puzzle game would never make enough money to cover 7 years of development time.

His childish crying about piracy made me remove his game from my wish list. I hope he retires and never makes another game so I don't have to hear the loser cry again.

pot...

...kettle

So I bought a 3TB drive

MMW6HUw.png

I might be going a little bit overboard...

Don't worry you won't play 5 of them.

neonglow

I started playing Risk of Rain. I'm not good at it because I take awhile finishing each level. The game has an interesting timer mechanic where the longer you play in a session the harder it becomes.

Lingitiz

Wow, that Witness thread really shows how much toxic vehemence GAF in general has towards PC. Damn. That was unnerving.

Seriously. That second to last post before the thread closed is the real cherry on top. I like to think it's a vocal minority of idiots like any community but sometimes there's so much of the same uninformed sentiment that you have to wonder.

But hey on the plus side it helped fill out my ignore list :p

mp1990

Banned
I started playing Risk of Rain. I'm not good at it because I take awhile finishing each level. The game has an interesting timer mechanic where the longer you play in a session the harder it becomes.

I had to force myself to stop playing ROR, because I'd do nothing but play it all day long, incredible game. Just, don't activate the Glass artifact if you're looking for some challenge; that thing completely breaks the game and turns it into a walk in the park.

The detail is insane. I spent a few minutes just walking around the Torrens admiring the detail. Even stuff like a logbook has visible scribblings and stamps in it, and you can actually go to the cockpit to look outside at the starfield.

so, i'm running a 970 + 4670k w/ 8gb DDR3

playing rise of the tomb raider

lowest possible settings on 1080p
still get 30fps drops whenever something happens with the environment, and i still get random drops out of nowhere from 60
this is insane
going to download new drivers and hope for the best i guess

also: the game is, overall, a bad port - it doesn't even touch the CPU. 1 core? 8 core? same performance.

wait for patches or for at least this to be addressed. it's insane

neonglow

I had to force myself to stop playing ROR, because I'd do nothing but play it all day long, incredible game. Just, don't activate the Glass artifact if you're looking for some challenge; that thing completely breaks the game and turns it into a walk in the park.

Do you have any tips to get better at the game? Should I be running to activate the teleporter quickly and start the countdown sequence?

strafer

The detail is insane. I spent a few minutes just walking around the Torrens admiring the detail. Even stuff like a logbook has visible scribblings and stamps in it, and you can actually go to the cockpit to look outside at the starfield.

Yes. Explore the shit out of it.

Also, isnt the ship pretty similar to a certain ship from a movie? ;)

Vamphuntr

still get 30fps drops whenever something happens with the environment, and i still get random drops out of nowhere from 60

this is insane

also: the game is, overall, a bad port - it doesn't even touch the CPU. 1 core? 8 core? same performance.

How's VRAM usage when it happens? Maybe it's related to the 3.5G thing. Dying Light had annoying drops and stutter until it was patched to work fine on a 970. I kind of regret buying mine when they launched, it already seems outdated and it isn't as futureproof as people made it out to be.

Lingitiz

this is insane

Same setup. Drop textures down to high and the stuttering should clear up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam allows you to share your library with another steam account but that locks you out of everything an dif you go into offline mode, family sharing is stopped.

I think you've slightly misunderstood the two caveats:

1) Another person being in a game you've shared doesn't lock you out of your library; rather, you can still load up anything you want, but as simultaneous access is not allowed, the secondary user will be notified when you launch a game and given a few minutes' warning before they're booted out. The inverse is true, though: secondary users cannot access your games if you're in-game.

2) The owner of the library switching to Offline Mode doesn't disable Family Sharing wholesale; rather, shared libraries are disabled in OM, so secondary users needs to be online to access games that aren't their own. There's nothing preventing the library owner from switching to OM if there's a scheduling clash and a secondary user wants to play something as well.

I still hold some hope that Valve will eventually loosen things a bit and allow concurrent library access, just not for a particular game (e.g. no playing CS:GO with your "family").

How's VRAM usage when it happens? Maybe it's related to the 3.5G thing. Dying Light had annoying drops and stutter until it was patched to work fine on a 970. I kind of regret buying mine when they launched, it already seems outdated and it isn't as futureproof as people made it out to be.

Same setup. Drop textures down to high and the stuttering should clear up.

did a driver update - helped a lot, but still nowhere near 60fps average on high/medium mix.

I got that email a few hours later. Once you're 'registered' you can download the client and just wait for your account to be flagged for beta access. It'll only really take a couple of hours to get through almost everything the beta has to offer so you can even start on the last day and be fine.

Sitting at about 8 hours now with nothing....

Why are people taking every comment against piracy as an attack against pc gaming?

I don't get why people are getting so upset about this.

Like I said, his views on PC gaming and piracy were fairly common about 8 years ago. And even back then there were good arguments as to why piracy wasn't necessarily the big evil thing that publishers made it out to be. Regardless, in those 8 years, something happened... PC gaming now makes more money than console gaming does. The industry saw that happening and so they stopped whining about piracy and started releasing their games on the PC.

Then you have Blow come and start trumpeting the same tired nonsense like it's 2008. And you just have to look at him and wonder what he's thinking. PC gaming just made him a million dollars in three days and all he can see is how piracy is denying him his future of making games.

For those of us who were around back, it was tiresome to have to deal with the piracy boogeyman and it's especially tiresome now given how much money there is to be made on the PC platform.

Sitting at about 8 hours now with nothing....

Apparently the demand for the beta is rather high so Ubi is limiting access to it. You might need a bit of luck at this point.

Anteater

Alright settled for 1920x800 with the division because obviously having black bars makes it more cinematic, and have to drop to 50hz since I want some hbao+ and the game feels bad at 30

shit card can't keep up with all these new games

Finished the first mission and I guess that's the only one in the beta

Leaving the CA on to hide some of the bad IQ.

tuxfool

Banned
Like I said, his views on PC gaming and piracy were fairly common about 8 years ago. And even back then there were good arguments as to why piracy wasn't necessarily the big evil thing that publishers made it out to be. Regardless, in those 8 years, something happened... PC gaming now makes more money than console gaming does. The industry saw that happening and so they stopped whining about piracy and started releasing their games on the PC.

Then you have Blow come and start trumpeting the same tired nonsense like it's 2008. And you just have to look at him and wonder what he's thinking. PC gaming just made him a million dollars in three days and all he can see is how piracy is denying him his future of making games.

For those of us who were around back, it was tiresome to have to deal with the piracy boogeyman and it's especially tiresome now given how much money there is to be made on the PC platform.

AFAIK it was two twitter comments. If he was truly worried about it, he wouldn't be offering a DRM free version.

mp1990

Banned
Do you have any tips to get better at the game? Should I be running to activate the teleporter quickly and start the countdown sequence?

There's no perfect strategy in Risk Of Rain, really. First of all, drop the difficult to Drizzle, and try to learn your main character traits (for beginners, i'd suggest going with either the Enforcer or Engineer). Learn how to optimize movimentation, what your abilities do and how can you make better use of them during battle, which items are better fit for your character, etc. Then, you should try messing with artifacts, they should give you quite a boost. The Risk Of Rain wiki really helped me with the last part.

The strategy i found to be most successful was : Activating both the Commando and Glass artifacts, choosing the Engineer, and trying to get to the teleporter as fast as I could, while getting items that would increase my HP along the way. Once i got to level 5, which is the second to last level, I'd loop through them a few times, until I got overpowered enough to steamroll through the last boss.

Apparently the demand for the beta is rather high so Ubi is limiting access to it. You might need a bit of luck at this point.
It's two twitter comments someone fluffed out an article out of. Stop creating boogeymen.

zkylon

zkylewd
I completely agree with him and honestly regret my purchase. I loved Talos so I thought I would give this a go even though I knew it wasn't exactly comparable. All the "everything in the game has a meaning", the mystery and hyped statements made me buy it expecting a lot more than what I got. (a bunch of line puzzles) Graphics are really good and the exploration is cool for a while but it fails as a game for me as I don't even feel compelled to finish it.
Oh well, 5/02 is near so I'll just play some more DDA till then.
yeah i kinda wish i had waited a little bit more but i had to see for myself

i don't mind the game being "just a collection of line puzzles", i just don't like the way they're offered

Thanks for showing this. Interesting viewpoint.
he runs a pretty cool youtube channel, i recommend subscribing

pY9tZf1.png
Nice avatar.
<3

AFAIK it was two twitter comments. If he was truly worried about it, he wouldn't be offering a DRM free version.

It's two twitter comments someone fluffed out an article out of. Stop creating boogeymen.

I don't really want to get dragged into this silliness. I'll also give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know that there are actually several tweets (replies) where he discusses the piracy situation, including this lovely gem. Maybe he's being flippant, maybe he's serious... who knows.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't really want to get dragged into this silliness. I'll also give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't know that there are actually several tweets (replies) where he discusses the piracy situation, including this lovely gem. Maybe he's being flippant, maybe he's serious... who knows.

This is the whole point. Who knows.

Twitter is the place where reasonable discussion goes to die.

AsfaeksBR

So, just bought a 4K TV to use as monitor. Any tips on how can I configure it to decrease the imput lag?

And also, what are some must-play in 4K games? All I can think on the top of my head are The Witness, Valkyria Chronicles ans Transistor, all because of the vibrant collors.
Keep in mind I have a i5 3590 and a GTX960, so no "The Witcher 3" or anything like it.

Thanks.

Fair enough, but given he self-published the Witness and Braid on the PC he obviously finds value in the platform so the "Many years have passed and things have changed" argument is off given he put out Braid himself way back and decided to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom