• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
what I can't understand about all FF9 stiutation, I've seen some amazing and high res FF9 backgrounds even here on gaf, there was a thread about it or something
I couldn't have been dreaming it, I'm not that into FF9

There are, but they're mostly in the hands of the artists who originally drew them. Apparently, Square Enix lost the digital files and the physical artwork, so if they wanted to "remaster" them with the high resolution artwork they would have to completely start over.

I guess they could buy some of the art back from the artists and digitize it, but there's only about 0.1% of that still remaining as far as we know. They'd still have to re-draw the other 99.9%.

Sad, really, since they took such beautiful artwork when they created the game and scaled it down to such a low resolution to work with the PS1, then lost the high res originals.

KingKong

hYqFfzz.png

PC the best platform for Final Fantasy... never would have thought it (at least legitimately).

this is the best platform for final fantasy

40964d1396723217-recycle-bin-empty-windows-8-a-recycle_bin_empty.png

MUnited83

For you.
Number of shows on offer for Netflix here is pretty low :(

One of the new countries getting it? Yeah, it seems by virtue of launching on >100 markets at the same time the catalog was somewhat affected. Should start picking up on the next months though.

Eila

what I can't understand about all FF9 stiutation, I've seen some amazing and high res FF9 backgrounds even here on gaf, there was a thread about it or something

There are some high res assets, but I assume it's not every one of them, and many of the backgrounds are animated so maybe they don't have that in high resolution.
Ultimately, it's just a cheap port. And sadly it's not likely to be fixed by modders, as remaking the entire CG backgrounds sounds basically impossible. And if it hasn't happened for FF VII it's never happening for IX.

Lain

You've seen pictures of stuff that didn't end up in the game at that quality level. As Mama posted
In my research, I unearthed artwork that show a ludicrous level of detail went into the game – detail that never made it into the final product due to the limitations of the target format. The “lost art” referenced in the thread title isn’t meant to describe this content as having been lost and found – it refers to the art details that were lost when the graphics were downconverted to a limited 32-bit console.

M.D

One of the new countries getting it? Yeah, it seems by virtue of launching on >100 markets at the same time the catalog was somewhat affected. Should start picking up on the next months though.

Yup.

I'm more disappointed for my mom because I want to cancel her $78 plan she pays for every month, but they will need to add a lot more content and subtitles before that will happen.

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are available tho, so that's awesome for me!

Arthea

There are, but they're mostly in the hands of the artists who originally drew them. Apparently, Square Enix lost the digital files and the physical artwork, so if they wanted to "remaster" them with the high resolution artwork they would have to completely start over.

I guess they could buy some of the art back from the artists and digitize it, but there's only about 0.1% of that still remaining as far as we know. They'd still have to re-draw the other 99.9%.

Sad, really, since they took such beautiful artwork when they created the game and scaled it down to such a low resolution to work with the PS1, then lost the high res originals.

I can understand how one can lose digital versions from that time, because it happened to me more times than I care to remember, any external data storage was unreliable back then, but how one loses originals too?
Anyway, if that's the case, short of a full remake, there is nothing SE can do.

You've seen pictures of stuff that didn't end up in the game at that quality level. As Mama posted

oh yeah, that's it, thanks for finding it

Correct. It's why all the store page screenshots look pretty terrible. At least for this version they've re-done some of the characters and monsters in higher resolution, but in the end it just means they stick out like a sore thumb against those stretched backgrounds.

That's a damned shame.

If there's an option to play the games windowed, there really isn't a problem. This is also one of the only thing that a Vita or PSP is good for, these older FF's don't look as bad on a smaller screen.

Correct. It's why all the store page screenshots look pretty terrible. At least for this version they've re-done some of the characters and monsters in higher resolution, but in the end it just means they stick out like a sore thumb against those stretched backgrounds.

I hope I won't notice it, playing the game 2 meters away from my TV.

That 80% off lords of the Fallen is really tempting me. It sounds like the kind of game I'd like but then it's rarely praised highly so I get put off.

I'll probably never end up pulling the trigger on it.

Got to the
flashback level where a team discovers a beacon.
in Alien Isolation. Jaws have been dropped. Sure it's more interactive cutscene than normal gameplay but I loved it. Probably because of the change of scenery and pace.
I was totally not expecting a
tie-in to Prometheus
though. In hindsight it makes only sense seeing the
movie and game being so close to each other
. Still, I had no clue and was grinning.
t6kCtEw.jpg
azx72bT.jpg
How very fitting that the
team just touches an alien, unknown obvious life-form just to die. Just like the movie, haha.

I missed my chance to get the Hyperdimension Neptunia games during the sale. Do I have to wait until the summer for a chance to get them cheap again, or does IFI do random sales throughout the year? I'm new to Steam as of a few weeks ago so sorry for the dumb question!

Arthea

So, after the sale FF5 looks better, and now is close to 30K owners, as I thought FF6 did better right from the start - 25K now.

I missed my chance to get the Hyperdimension Neptunia games during the sale. Do I have to wait until the summer for a chance to get them cheap again, or does IFI do random sales throughout the year? I'm new to Steam as of a few weeks ago so sorry for the dumb question!

They did quite a few in 2015 (humble store and bundlestars sales for example), so probably you'll get a chance before summer sale.

They're on sale frequently, as they're also sold on humble and GMG for example. Just keep an eye out

Pachimari

Also another reminder is, that Blade & Soul is launching in EU and US this month.

So some big releases this month include:

- Assassin's Creed: Chronicles - India
- That Dragon, Cancer
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Blade & Soul
- A Boy & His Blob
- Darkest Dungeon
- Resident Evil Zero: HD Remaster
- Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
- The Witness
- Slain
- Oxenfree
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Bombshell
- Final Fantasy IX (potentially)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Neptunia games go on sale relatively often, so you'll probably be able to pick them up well before the summer sale season.

Arthea

in other FF news, FF0 hit 100K finally

.... and FF7 is now above 1 mln copies sold on steam alone
Owners: 1,000,488 ± 21,546

It happened during this sale, as it still was slightly bellow 1 mln before winter sale.

edited: the so called horrible FF8 very close to half million too

Pachimari

I'm glad Type-0 and FF VII have done well, and that FF VII have passed the million mark. Hopefully FF V and FFVI also picks up.

Come on Square Enix. Give us Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remastered, Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion, Final Fantasy XII: HD Remastered and why not World of Final Fantasy now we are at it. Crisis Core is impossible right?

Arthea

I'm not buying anything in January, not saying that I don't want to, but too many games to play - too little time and money.
Until 2016 summer sale I probably will buy only Stardew Valley and FF9.

Although Oxenfree and RotTR are very tempting

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think I haven't heard about That Dragon, Cancer before, what is it?
AntiOzium game specifically?

It's a very personal game done by two parents who wished to come up with an interactive expression of their son's battle with cancer, which lasted 4 years before he passed away at the age of 5. The material is very heavy and will probably be a hard one for a lot of people to 'enjoy'. I'm looking forward to having my soul crushed!

eyeless

am i supposed to have my imported items from witcher 1 at the beginning of the witcher 2 tutorial? cause all i have is plain steel and silver swords and 100 orens. is it not working?

ArjanN

I've gone back to La-Mulana and although I've managed to clear the gate of guidance I'm completely lost on what to do next as there are plenty of zone to explore. I think it might be one of the few games where I'll look for a guide early on. Do you guys know if there is some sort of guide that tells you where to go without spoiling too much of the puzzles?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377234096

This one seems decent and is hint-based.

Honestly most of the puzzles are probably too involved to accidentily spoil for yourself even if you're reading a guide. :p

Arthea

It's a very personal game done by two parents who wished to come up with an interactive expression of their son's battle with cancer, which lasted 4 years before he passed away at the age of 5. The material is very heavy and will probably be a hard one for a lot of people to 'enjoy'. I'm looking forward to having my soul crushed!

thanks for this, not touching it ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom