• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Tactics seems pretty certain at this point, given how many of the other mobile ports we've gotten. Hopefully they'll bring Secret of Mana and the Dragon Quest ports over as well.

There's so much I adore about Alien: Isolation, but I shelved it after a short time following a few too many run-ins with its checkpointing system.

I know it's the way it is for the sake of tension etc, but at the time, life felt too short to (what felt like) be continually made to repeat sections of several minutes each. I really should give it another go, though, perhaps on the easiest setting (yes, I'm a soft casual gamer, I know!).

I was kind of the same way, I really want to get back to it but I got to a place where I had to avoid robots for 5 mins or more and kept failing and going all the way back to the previous checkpoint. It wore me down at that point.

Sch1sm

I was kind of the same way, I really want to get back to it but I got to a place where I had to avoid robots for 5 mins or more and kept failing and going all the way back to the previous checkpoint. It wore me down at that point.

I won't just say get good, as much as I want to, because I can see that issue entirely. It didn't happen to me very often, not until I went to Nightmare from normal. Then detection becomes a lot more prevalent, because their ranges increase and they seem to follow your pattern even more than on normal, and it's hell. Dropping down does the opposite, and you'll find the alien is a lot more forgiving and the loot is more plentiful. Exploration is easier, survivors are rarely aggressive, androids are easier to beat, Ripley is essentially buffed, so on, so forth. Give it another try on Novice. It may take away from the whole survival element, but you'll be less annoyed by the time between checkpoints.

Ban Puncher

While you're in the business of making people happy Square, how bout some Taito back-catalogue love?

I got a Bubble Bobble itch that needs a scratchin'.

MUnited83

For you.
So, ever since the FFIX store is up, people have made port requests on discussion boards about the following games already:

- Final Fantasy X/X-2
- Final Fantasy XII
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
- Chrono Cross
- Chaos Rings 3

But not 4 Heroes of Light. Fuck this world :C

Jazz573

Stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jazz573, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Three Digits -- MB-122F4B632796D7C2 - Taken by bobnowhere
Pester -- MB-FC9EE72E9BBC83FB - Taken by Purkake4
Steel Rain -- MB-375A040A03F6DC06 - Taken by shockdude

I would sacrifice several posters for Crystal Chronicles on Steam.

Then I think about the possible port quality and realize Dolphin will probably still be better. Then I think about online coop and I want it again.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Tactics seems pretty certain at this point, given how many of the other mobile ports we've gotten. Hopefully they'll bring Secret of Mana and the Dragon Quest ports over as well.

RIGHT? Didn't the mobile version stop working a few IOS versions ago too? Steam solves that problem. And Tactics is still the most replayable FF.

Is up for pre-order, another pixel art/retro game that's on my radar.

Featuring Rocky!
ss_2e6aa24545e01c06df0ce4a08f6941eba3af2910.jpg
Plus that middle-aged mutant boxing alligator.

Lain

Were these posted? Searching the names in the thread didn't turn up results.

Strawberry Vinegar

The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns

Sepia Tears

shockdude

Edited crosspost from the Steam Controller thread.

Got a Steam Controller for myself for Christmas, and it's pretty cool. Probably my favorite thing about it is the ability to play games that use a separate launcher without having to get up from my chair.

Currently experimenting with the DPAD settings for shmups, but I haven't yet found something that I feel confident with. For both radial & cross gate, too small a deadzone makes me press diagonals by accident, and too large a deadzone prevents me from hitting all the directions by just rolling my thumb.
Hopefully something will click and the DPAD will feel awesome after enough time with the controller.

Flandy

Booted up Assassins Creed Syndicate since I found out the cloth 30fps glitch got fixed.
Uplay overlay says i'm getting 59fps while the steam overlay says I'm getting 60fps.

WHO DO I BELIEVE? Have I been gaming with micro stutter this entire time without noticing? How do I fix this?

Sch1sm

Booted up Assassins Creed Syndicate since I found out the cloth 30fps glitch got fixed.
Uplay overlay says i'm getting 59fps while the steam overlay says I'm getting 60fps.

WHO DO I BELIEVE? Have I been gaming with micro stutter this entire time without noticing? How do I fix this?

Does it say you're getting exactly 59fps? No decimals following?

Pro tip: turn them off and play the damned game.

fpsgaminggamerspc_master_raceweb_comics-553130.jpg

NicoNizza

Neo Member
So, ever since the FFIX store is up, people have made port requests on discussion boards about the following games already:

- Final Fantasy X/X-2
- Final Fantasy XII
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
- Chrono Cross
- Chaos Rings 3

Oh yea please Chrono Cross I would give my daughter for that port.

>Implying I have a daughter.

MUnited83

For you.
I wonder how strawberry vinegar is. Both the game and food.

Dunno about Strawberry Vinegar itself, but it is by the same devs as Asphyxia, which I really enjoyed. The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns is also by the same devs and it's free, I will try that one today.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't think anyone here posted the teaser art/screen for Outlast 2 to SteamGAF yet?

cyd-jinwaaacz8u.jpglaohsrk.jpg

Also confirmed the original game sood 3.5 million copies, and comment on how with the first game they had to rush somewhat to finish it before they ran out of money, but because it did so well now they can take their time and be more ambitious. I look forward to it!

I don't think anyone here posted the teaser art/screen for Outlast 2?

Also confirmed the original game sood 3.5 million copies, and comment on how with the first game they had to rush somewhat to finish it before they ran out of money, but because it did so well now they can take their time and be more ambitious. I look forward to it!

I look forward to it, the creepy southern KKK/hillbilly vibe there going for is unique and I think it will make for a spooky game.

Pachimari

Which Sonic games are missing on Steam?

Sonic Colors
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic 2006
Sonic Boom
Sonic Chronicles

If I get to complete Final Fantasy VII and XI this year, I'm contemplating completing some Sonic games. At least Adventure 1 and Generations.

Sch1sm

I don't think anyone here posted the teaser art/screen for Outlast 2 to SteamGAF yet?

Looks haunting. Good on their success. I might just buy Day 1, pending trailers and gameplay preview.

Annubis

I wonder how strawberry vinegar is. Both the game and food.

I don't know about the game but they can go great together in a salad.

The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns came out today or yesterday so it's fairly new (to Steam, it's been on titch.io for a while).
It's free so it's worth trying it. I'll probably post about it when I play it.

Dusk Golem

I look forward to it, the creepy southern KKK/hillbilly vibe there going for is unique and I think it will make for a spooky game.

Yup, the South setting, KKK angle, and religious tones shouod be fun. And hoping by more ambitious, that means the game can switch itself up and not suffer from front-loaded scariness like the first one.

Which Sonic games are missing on Steam?

Sonic Colors
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic 2006
Sonic Boom
Sonic Chronicles

If I get to complete Final Fantasy VII and XI this year, I'm contemplating completing some Sonic games. At least Adventure 1 and Generations.

Well, all the handheld Sonic games for one thing. Sonic Advance 1-3, Rush games, etc. Storybook titles, Heroes and Shadow, the Rider games. I think GameGear titles are technically unlockabke in Adventure DX? Knuckles Chaotix. Hoping for Taxman ports of Sonic 1 & 2. Tails and Knuckles added playable in Sonic 1, 2 has a secret new level in Hidden Palace.

Looks haunting. Good on their success. I might just buy Day 1, pending trailers and gameplay preview.

Still some ways off probably, but same on my hand. I was sold on trying Outlast after I had played it at PAX when it was announced.

UltraJay

How bad can the backgrounds be for FF 9 compared to 8 or 7 with modded models? 8 has one that basically upscaled and filtered all the backgrounds but there is some problems around edges and water on certain screens. It gets rid of the heavy pixelation though. The other alternative is to apply a SweetFX scanlines filter on it which helps out a bit. I might try it for 9.

Dusk Golem

Guys, from 1 to 10 scale, just how scary is Alan Wake?
Are there a lot of jump scares? I hate jump scares..
3-4 in my opinion. Remedy don't call it a horror game, but a psychological action-thriller. The game has good atmosphere and some moments, but honestly it's not that bad, and not much in terms of jump scares outside of some enemies in gameplay jumping you and one very minor thing
if you walk in a bear trap.

Some great sound design though! Recommend headphones.

3-4 in my opinion. Remedy don't call it a horror game, but a psychological action-thriller. The game has good atmosphere and some moments, but honestly it's not that bad, and not much in terms of jump scares outside of some enemies in gameplay jumping you and one very minor thing
if you walk in a bear trap.

Some great sound design though! Recommend headphones.

Not high, a lot of the "scares" are heavily telegraphed with a time slow-mo effect to give you time to react.

Ooh, sounds good to me.
Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about the game. But I'm always reluctant to try the game due to the horror tag it has. Thanks!

Sarcasm

I am stuck in the first Alan wake game.

The part of the forest where
you are being chased and have to find generators or whatever in random spots.

Anteater

Guys, from 1 to 10 scale, just how scary is Alan Wake?
Are there a lot of jump scares? I hate jump scares..

Around 3 sounds about right, it's less spooky than something like bioshock, and the game is pretty long with a lot of linear shooty sections so whatever horror elements there are wear off after a while, I don't think there are jump scares, the combat scenarios are pretty predictable and sometimes I think it tells you when enemies spawned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom