• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Guys, from 1 to 10 scale, just how scary is Alan Wake?
Are there a lot of jump scares? I hate jump scares..

When it comes to horror games (and movies, and comics, and books, and people doing sudden loud noises around, and...) I'm a huge coward, but I managed to play and complete AW.

There's a lot of tension, yes, as the game often pushes you to run through entire areas to avoid enemies, and of course constantly running away is more tense than fighting, but all in all I appreciated this change of pace.
And most importantly, the game has some very well designed and placed relief moments that help us cowards to keep our sanity.

Most of the jump scares happens in the cutscenes, and are something like a scary-ish image that flashes for a couple of frames and that's it.
Jump scares in game are, as Dusk and Bob correctly said, or telegraphed by a slo-mo animation, or when you hit something unexpected and self-scare yourself.
Enemies aren't scary at all, on the contrary, I found their good sense advices quite funny.

This said, I dunno if I'd play it with headphones on. :D

EDIT: as Anteater said: I've found the first Bioshock to be much much scarier, to the point that I've abandon it quickly and I've never played the second.
Infinite isn't scary at all, but it's a bad game

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ooh, sounds good to me.
Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about the game. But I'm always reluctant to try the game due to the horror tag it has. Thanks!

It's a bit of a love/hate game, but I liked it.

I am stuck in the first Alan wake game.

The part of the forest where
you are being chased and have to find generators or whatever in random spots.

Well, there's no part in Alan Wake when you're chased you NEED to find generators, but they can be helpful. Which episode number, do you remember?

Around 3 sounds about right, it's less spooky than something like bioshock, and the game is pretty long with a lot of linear shooty sections so whatever horror elements there are wear off after a while, I don't think there are jump scares, the combat scenarios are pretty predictable and sometimes I think it tells you when enemies spawned.

About right, though there are a few surprise moments and a few surprises in general a little bit.

Also the
chainsaw
enemies I always find intimidating for some reason, but not too many of them through the game.

The Witcher 3.... just finished the prologue.

It's.... it's a big fucking game.

I'm currently in Velen. There are four other hubs.

Are they all this ridiculously huge?

Velen is as big as Skyrim's world map.

Vamphuntr

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I can help out if anyone needs assistance getting a code from Newegg. Feel free to PM me on Steam so we can hammer out the details, link is on my profile in case you forgot which one I am.

Ventara

I can help out if anyone needs assistance getting a code from Newegg. Feel free to PM me on Steam so we can hammer out the details, link is on my profile in case you forgot which one I am.

I sent you a friend request.

Edit: Please, someone, help me! I'll Paypal you the dollar immediately!

oipic

I'd love to buy a copy of DiRT Rally for a dear friend of SteamGAF who I'm sure would love to play it, but I'm unable to do so from Australia - is there a friendly soul I can please send some PayPal monies to?

Edit: Bummer - out of stock. Congrats to all who snared a copy. Please give it a go - it's a terrific game, well and truly in my top 5 of the year.

dot

Around 3 sounds about right, it's less spooky than something like bioshock, and the game is pretty long with a lot of linear shooty sections so whatever horror elements there are wear off after a while, I don't think there are jump scares, the combat scenarios are pretty predictable and sometimes I think it tells you when enemies spawned.

Uh, i'm pretty sure there were quite a few jump scares. You were probably too drunk to notice.

i'd give it a 5 or 6 for spookiness (more tense than anything since you'll get chased a lot)

chronomac

Y2CWmmi.png

bloke

Used fake us address and got voided (of course)... like how these companies first take money off your card and then they check address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom