• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Are there any pc focused forums/subreddits or at least ones that aren't openly hostile to pc? It's becoming increasingly apparent that this forum just doesn't suit my gaming habbits really. I only stick around for steamgaf honestly and the sometimes funny but eventually overused memes.

It's not PC-specific, but the Gamers With Jobs forum is home to possibly the least toxic community that I'm aware of.

Edit: re-reading that, it could come across as damning with faint praise, but that wasn't my intention - genuinely a good crowd over there, but it's nowhere near as active as GAF.

All FF games excluding MMO sorted by number of owners

FINAL FANTASY VII - 1,000,488 ± 21,546
FINAL FANTASY XIII - 510,268 ± 15,401
FINAL FANTASY VIII - 491,198 ± 15,111
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 - 276,161 ± 11,335
FINAL FANTASY III - 131,173 ± 7,814
FINAL FANTASY IV - 128,239 ± 7,726
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0™ HD - 104,890 ± 6,988
LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII - 61,369 ± 5,345
FINAL FANTASY IV: THE AFTER YEARS - 50,489 ± 4,848
FINAL FANTASY V - 28,362 ± 3,634
FINAL FANTASY VI - 24,083 ± 3,349

All games summed together 2,712,319 ± 103,097

Why are you excluding the mmos?
It's not like those games are f2p, you know. People still paid for those, they're owners.

Good numbers nevertheless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also, this thread made me realize, that I want Unreal Championship and Unreal Championship 2 on Steam. I wonder why they haven't ported them yet?

Unreal Championship 1 is literally just Unreal Tournament 2003 built for X-box. Unreal Tournament 2004 superceeded that. Just get UT2004. The only missing thing would be bombing run which I think mods brought back.

I dunno on Unreal Championship 2. That's more a third person hack and slash at times.

Anteater

Are there any pc focused forums/subreddits or at least ones that aren't openly hostile to pc? It's becoming increasingly apparent that this forum just doesn't suit my gaming habbits really. I only stick around for steamgaf honestly and the sometimes funny but eventually overused memes.

not really pc centric but I used to read somethingawful, it's pretty decent, but I didn't want to pay for a membership

honestly i'm not sure if you want a board that's focused on one particular platform

Ban Puncher

I used to read somethingawful, it's pretty decent, but I didn't want to pay for a membership

I'd pay a one off $10 fee like SA for GAF if it meant no ads.

It would keep the riff raff/angsty teens/poors out too.

I would spend so much money if there was a 'Change Another Users Tag' option like SA forums too.

garath

I can't wait for the full release of darkest dungeon. I've started it a few times but I generally try to stay away from early access, even when I believe in it enough to buy it (like grim dawn. Owned that since it was first released on steam. Only just now started playing).

I just wish there was a save and quit option even when you are in a dungeon. My playtime is sporatic at times and it would be super helpful.

Pachimari

I'm now the proud owner of more than a thousand Steam games. What do I get GAF?

5ac8fix.png

gelf

The problem with PC sales thread are the constant "It sold 10.000k in japan in the first month. The PC sales are bad, even if the publishers said they are great!"

At the same time though I wish I could express my genuine concern that a game I like didn't do too well on PC without being jumped on like I'm a console fanboy trying to downplay Steam as has happened. I hate to "both sides" this but while its the console fanboys fault for muddying those people with genuine concern with those who just want to trash the platform I don't find the PC side of these debates entirely innocent either.

I'm happy with banning these threads as its just a slanging match with no room for any proper discussion.

At the same time though I wish I could express my genuine concern that a game I like didn't do too well on PC without being jumped on like I'm a console fanboy trying to downplay Steam as has happened. I hate to "both sides" this but while its the console fanboys fault for muddying those people with genuine concern with those who just want to trash the platform I don't find the PC side of these debates entirely innocent either.

I'm happy with banning these threads as its just a slanging match with no room for any proper discussion.

The thing is most of the time its console-fans that downplay sales, even though the publishers are totally happy with the sales. But even if the publishers says "is a great success. We will bring more titles to Steam", there will be people saying "But it sold xxxxxx on the Vita in japan in its first month. It cant be a success" or "We have to see how many titles they put on Steam. Better wait. These sales are not good at all."

People totally overestimate porting costs nowadays. They think you have to put millions into it to port a game, while its actually less than 100.000-150.000$ (sources: old informants from the publishing company I worked for for a while).

Pakkidis

The thing is most of the time its console-fans that downplay sales, even though the publishers are totally happy with the sales. But even if the publishers says "is a great success. We will bring more titles to Steam", there will be people saying "But it sold xxxxxx on the Vita in japan in its first month. It cant be a success" or "We have to see how many titles they put on Steam. Better wait. These sales are not good at all."

People totally overestimate porting costs nowadays. They think you have to put millions into it to port a game, while its actually less than 100.000-150.000$ (sources: old informants from the publishing company I worked for for a while).

This is something I would like to know as well, what is the cost of porting to pc. I don't think its as cheap as you say because if that were the case every game developer would port there games to pc without second thought.

Athleon

Sales threads are a mistake. They're nothing but trash.

There isn't really anything to discuss. It either sold well or it didn't, and even then the benchmark for "well" is set by the publisher so unless it's an edge case we can't even know if it's successful or not.

I think that all game specific news/salesdata/questions/whatever should be posted on that games OT. What's the point of an OT if not to contain all of the discussion for that game?

Khrae

Cheers for the key Tizoc, I'm surprised there were 514 entries for the B key, since I never win anything normally.

So, I've pinned some games to Windows 10 Start Menu, but I want to cahnge the image of the tile.

Is there anyway to do this without installing any additional apps?

gelf

Yet more spare Square Enix keys:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Last Remnant -- MB-41079238773D013B - Taken by pedro_tex. 1 entrants total.
Tomb Raider I -- MB-44BE45197606B51A - Taken by Tesseract. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-7A712136DF4A312A - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.
Life Is Strange - Episode 1 -- MB-BBDA6610C3DE0693 - Taken by TheSeks. 1 entrants total.

t1452175919z1.png

Khrae

Right click the icon>go to file location>right click the icon>find the change icon option

That works, bit long winded and it retains the tile background colour.

edit: reply to Quick Mustard but I messed up the quote tags as usual

This is something I would like to know as well, what is the cost of porting to pc. I don't think its as cheap as you say because if that were the case every game developer would port there games to pc without second thought.

But they do. At least western people.

It really is not that expensive, if the code is written well and the team has some experience (at least according to what I heard).

Its usually japanese publishers that still have some kind of "japanesy" mindset. Afaik some publishers of smaller japanese games here have to convince the devs that Steam is big in the west and they have to explain what Steam is.
And there was one GAF-insider that said that VF5 was almost completely ported to PC, but some higher up at Sega said that they wouldnt want to release it on PC because there is no audience (even though the port was almost complete). Whether thats true I dont know.

It just seems japanese publishers have a problem porting their game to Steam.

Sales threads are a mistake. They're nothing but trash.

There isn't really anything to discuss. It either sold well or it didn't, and even then the benchmark for "well" is set by the publisher so unless it's an edge case we can't even know if it's successful or not.

I think that all game specific news/salesdata/questions/whatever should be posted on that games OT. What's the point of an OT if not to contain all of the discussion for that game?
My favorite thing about sales threads is goalpost moving.

Khrae

Can I make them like the Tiles in the Steam program or am I limited to just icons?

I just fiddled with it when I saw your original post, if you mean can you get a big banner tile? I don't think so, you'll probably need an app.

This route only lets you select icon files, so if you can create an icon from the relevant image it may work, though sizing will be an issue.

Copons

It depends on each game complexity and size, on their engine, on the quality and availability of original assets, and so on. The amount of variables involved could potentially make a smaller game port to cost more than an AAA one.
To the sheer development expenses, you'd have to budget for testing and QA, marketing and whatnot.

So yeah, we can say that not porting games to Steam publishers are leaving money on the table, but if their estimate revenue is shit, should they risk investing a crapload of cash into something that could or could not turn out to be a sleeper hit or an evergreen game?

Raxanas

Neo Member
I mean having a game ported to PC cant cost too much money.Even if it doesnt sell like crazy,dont they still get a profit with minimum spending and risk?

Arthea

I think by now every gaffer own the last remnant, its probably the most given key

still not nearly enough, until all play it

I wonder could we talk SE into updating it, it sold well enough before it was bundled left and right, they could add cards and cheevos at least, to give it a new life so to speak.
Updating textures or an engine is probably too much to ask for.

I mean having a game ported to PC cant cost too much money.Even if it doesnt sell like crazy,dont they still get a profit with minimum spending and risk?

They usually do. And thats why I personally dont understand why not every game is directly ported to PC from japanese studios. Western studios do it all the time. Its directly developed for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
Japanese devs/publishers choose to develop it first for consoles and then, if they want, port it to PC.

M.D

Anyone using an Xbox One controller with the adapeter? Is it working properly? It seems like it has some issues and it's also out of stock everywhere I looked, could they be shipping a newer version or something?

Raxanas

Neo Member
I believe that since older consoles did not have the same architecture with PC(PS3 having the stupid cell and x360 having power pc?) they might still think that it needs extra work?
Developers except first party studios should port all their games for PC to get extra money..The only practice i kinda understand (even though i dont like it) is timed exclusivity.
The new console gen is essentially weak-ass PCs anyways

Pachimari

Anyone using an Xbox One controller with the adapeter? Is it working properly? It seems like it has some issues and it's also out of stock everywhere I looked, could they be shipping a newer version or something?

I got it and it's fantastic. Sometimes, you have to replug the adapter for the controller to find it, but other than that it's fine. I don't think there's a new version on the way.

Deques

I haven't had any problems with the receiver if it's that what you mean. The 3.5 mm audio port works too

I believe that since older consoles did not have the same architecture with PC(PS3 having the stupid cell and x360 having power pc?) they might still think that it needs extra work?
Developers except first party studios should port all their games for PC to get extra money..The only practice i kinda understand (even though i dont like it) is timed exclusivity.
The new console gen is essentially weak-ass PCs anyways

I am not sure whether my idea might be true, but it could be that they just want to use japanese people to port their games.

While I worked for a publisher (for DVDs though), the arrogance and pride of their products was really high during negotiations. I can think that maybe the same is true for games. They dont want a foreign company to "touch their code", so they want to do it by themselves, but actually japanese devs cant port well.

Thats just a theory of mine.

Got an adapter for Christmas and it works fine on Window 8.1. Haven't had an issue yet that I've seen.

Who was it that swore max payne 3 was one of the best playing TPSes ever?

Because after a couple of hours in, i'm just not seeing it. It's fine, i'm liking the game in spite of its nihilistic writing and kinda meh story (not to say that the MP games are excellently written before this but at least the campy noir stuff engaged me) but there's nothing here that really stands out except for shooting grenades in the air and some admittedly pretty neat rag doll deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom