• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxanas

Neo Member
I am not sure whether my idea might be true, but it could be that they just want to use japanese people to port their games.

While I worked for a publisher (for DVDs though), the arrogance and pride of their products was really high during negotiations. I can think that maybe the same is true for games. They dont want a foreign company to "touch their code", so they want to do it by themselves, but actually japanese devs cant port well.

Thats just a theory of mine.

It is possible.We cant really understand the mindset of eastern companies.They got amazing cultural differences and also their ego and pride might hurt them in the end by excluding Steam and PC.
I mean why cant SE port FFX or FFXV to get extra sales for like minimum cost?(Those games are rumored to come but its not confirmed).I am getting baffled by the executives working for game companies.Isnt the revenue and $$ supposed to be their end goal?

jdw_b

Who was it that swore max payne 3 was one of the best playing TPSes ever?

Because after a couple of hours in, i'm just not seeing it. It's fine, i'm liking the game in spite of its nihilistic writing and kinda meh story (not to say that the MP games are excellently written before this but at least the campy noir stuff engaged me) but there's nothing here that really stands out except for shooting grenades in the air and some admittedly pretty neat rag doll deaths.

I once watched a friend play this.

He kept dying and had to rewatch the cut scenes before said deaths over and over again. Vowed to never bother playing it myself

Messiah

I really loved Max Payne 3. Killing people in third person never felt so satisfying to me in any other game.

Probably my second favourite TPS after Binary Domain.

Anyone using an Xbox One controller with the adapeter? Is it working properly? It seems like it has some issues and it's also out of stock everywhere I looked, could they be shipping a newer version or something?

Not sure where you are are buy my local best buy has them in store.

Back from the ban, found a job while I was away. God only knows how much I needed it.

Here's something for you guys, I know it's not much but I have debts to pay :( I just feel bad for only having done one giveaway until now, but I'm just too damn broke.
Also, my dog was run over by a car yesterday and I saw the whole thing, can't get it out of my head. She's still alive but I don't think she'll make it, keeping her at the vet is costing me a fortune and it will probably be for nothing.

Lots of awesome games coming up but I'll have to settle with RE0 for now. I'm a sucker for the franchise and it's the cheapest of the games I want. (Thanks for that 25% voucher GMG). Speaking of RE:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dragon1893, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-50C3059BC5C2E84A - Taken by texhnolyze. 18 entrants total.

t1452187139z1.png

M.D

I got it and it's fantastic. Sometimes, you have to replug the adapter for the controller to find it, but other than that it's fine. I don't think there's a new version on the way.

I haven't had any problems with the receiver if it's that what you mean. The 3.5 mm audio port works too

Got an adapter for Christmas and it works fine on Window 8.1. Haven't had an issue yet that I've seen.

I've never had an issue with the adapter. Also, it's still in stock at The Microsoft Store so I highly doubt there's a newer version shipping already.

Not sure where you are are buy my local best buy has them in store.

Thanks guys.
I live in Israel and there's no stock here or the UK websites I usually order games from.
I'll see if the Microsoft shop ships here

gelf

It is possible.We cant really understand the mindset of eastern companies.They got amazing cultural differences and also their ego and pride might hurt them in the end by excluding Steam and PC.
I mean why cant SE port FFX or FFXV to get extra sales for like minimum cost?(Those games are rumored to come but its not confirmed).I am getting baffled by the executives working for game companies.Isnt the revenue and $$ supposed to be their end goal?

I would suspect it could be a thing were they see time spent chasing small profits is wasted when they could have been chasing bigger profits. Add that with sometimes not really wanting to pass code onto outside companies to do it for them and you have a problem.

This is also a reason I think I've seen Sega give for being reluctant to localise games. It was like yeah we could make a small profit if we give Yakuza to the west but we would make more money in Japan if the staff move straight onto the next sequel. It took Sony bending their arm to change that with Yakuza 5 and Zero.

ViviOggi

Who was it that swore max payne 3 was one of the best playing TPSes ever?

Because after a couple of hours in, i'm just not seeing it. It's fine, i'm liking the game in spite of its nihilistic writing and kinda meh story (not to say that the MP games are excellently written before this but at least the campy noir stuff engaged me) but there's nothing here that really stands out except for shooting grenades in the air and some admittedly pretty neat rag doll deaths.
Like, it's a pretty widespread opinion

Are you using bullet time liberally? Because with sick moves and on high difficulty the game really shines, otherwise it's an average cover shooter.

Man I could go for some Max Payne 3 right now. Too many games

jdw_b

Back from the ban, found a job while I was away. God only knows how much I needed it.

Here's something for you guys, I know it's not much but I have debts to pay :( I just feel bad for only having done one giveaway until now, but I'm just too damn broke.
Also, my dog was run over by a car yesterday and I saw the whole thing, can't get it out of my head. She's still alive but I don't think she'll make it, keeping her at the vet is costing me a fortune and it will probably be for nothing.

Damn, sorry. Must have been horrible. I had a cat on death's door once and having to make the decision to put her down was the worst

Might have to change my stance on Max Payne 3 based on the last few posts

I just fiddled with it when I saw your original post, if you mean can you get a big banner tile? I don't think so, you'll probably need an app.

This route only lets you select icon files, so if you can create an icon from the relevant image it may work, though sizing will be an issue.

Hmm, ok, Thank you. :)

M.D

Welp, I'm shit out of luck

The United States Microsoft Store can only ship to U.S. and Puerto Rico locations at this time. For sales in other countries/regions, please visit one of the international Microsoft Stores.

Local store doesn't have it, of course

Like, it's a pretty widespread opinion

Are you using bullet time liberally? Because with sick moves and on high difficulty the game really shines, otherwise it's an average cover shooter.

Man I could go for some Max Payne 3 right now. Too many games

yeah, I use it often. But what makes bullet time in MP3 better than in the other MP games? Is it that people like that silly slomo murder thing that happens at the end of a gunfight?

i'm not really seeing it. It doesn't even have the dope yet goofy reload animation that MP2 has. Are there more mechanics introduced later in the game or something? I'm about to start chapter 4.

As someone who has played many a TPS, MP3 is fine. I'm just not seeing where all the high praise is coming from.

I really loved Max Payne 3. Killing people in third person never felt so satisfying to me in any other game.

Probably my second favourite TPS after Binary Domain.

see, for me Vanquish is the best TPS i've ever played. An insane amount of variety and incredible gameplay. So when people praise something as being the best TPS possibly ever, i hold it up to Vanquish to see if it passes the test. So far, MP3 might not even be the best MP game i've played let alone one of the best TPS games ever

The Hermit

:

Oh my god, I am so sorry. I hope you can eventually forget that scene.

My cat died last year while I was away in holiday. I wasn't as traumatic, she was very sick already and got worse, but it would break my heart if I was here with her.

and revelations is surprisingly a great RE game, I already have it on the 3DS (need to finish though... so many backloged games ;_; )

What's up SteamGAF?

I just caught my White Whale.

fuckyeah9rpes.png

... I have no idea what that means

Its the TIS-100 game right?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

That's terrible to hear man, can't imagine the pain you're going through right now. You have my support

Durante

... I have no idea what that means

Its the TIS-100 game right?
Basically, the game shows a histogram of all solutions and your friends' scores in 3 metrics after you beat a level. Arguably the most interesting metric is cycle counts.

In that particular level, I was struggling for hours to get a workable idea of how to go below ~160 cycles, because Gotchaye's 140 was taunting me.

The fourth idea worked out.

M.D

I'd keep an eye on this, as you said you normally go for UK stores for gaming stuff. It's out of stock in the Microsoft UK store, but maybe that'll change soon enough? If anything, can't you just get it on Amazon UK? Shipping must be crazy unless you have Prime, though.

It says Microsoft through Amazon doesn't ship to Israel and I don't think their UK store does either but I'll need to check it.

I may actually turn to Ebay if it's out of stock for much longer.
Thanks!

Turfster

So for those of you that've already done the nvidia rise of the tomb raider thing, does it immediately give a redeemable steam key, or is it one of those "we'll email you when we get codes" kind of situations?

Tizoc

So for those of you that've already done the nvidia rise of the tomb raider thing, does it immediately give a redeemable steam key, or is it one of those "we'll email you when we get codes" kind of situations?

Well someone is elling keys over at the BST thread for $20 a key atm...

Lunaniem

It's the latter right now, I imagine they will go up soon since the promo officially starts today.

JustLynx

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question ;)

I didn't buy it or activate it but Phantom Pain activated straight to your steam account
and also the uplay promo (bullets or knives or whatever that was) was also activated straight to your uplay account

so i'm pretty sure TR will be the same

The Hermit

Basically, the game shows a histogram of all solutions and your friends' scores in 3 metrics after you beat a level. Arguably the most interesting metric is cycle counts.

In that particular level, I was struggling for hours to get a workable idea of how to go below ~160 cycles, because Gotchaye's 140 was taunting me.

The fourth idea worked out.

Wow congrats.

I really appreciate videos/story's from Zachtronic's games, but I get too frustrated to really enjoy.

I tried spacechem once and got a migraine after a long session.

Keys. Keys everywhere.
I still wouldn't want them

Ban Puncher

I wonder if there are any Phantom Pain Nvidia pre-order keys still floating around? I kinda want that exclusive Venom Snake emblem but Konami hasn't released any of the pre-order DLC for sale on Steam unlike consoles.

I wonder if there are any Phantom Pain Nvidia pre-order keys still floating around? I kinda want that exclusive Venom Snake emblem but Konami hasn't released any of the pre-order DLC for sale on Steam unlike consoles.

and have they even announced an exact date for when MGO is launching on PC?

Because i'm starting to suspect things about whether we'll ever see that.

Coreda

The Venom Snake emblem can be unlocked in game, which is why it puzzled me that it was part of the 'exclusive' pre-order DLC. Unless the Nvidia keys also included it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When is that SteamGAF GoTY voting thing start again?

I'm still getting everything set up on my end. The vote is scheduled to go live at 4:00pm Pacific time.

t1452211200z4.png

Sch1sm

They confirmed earlier this week it is still coming this month.

By this month, they mean January 30th or 31st launch, right? That's how it feels.

Wouldn't they have they expired by now or was that just am Arkham Knight thing?

Ban Puncher

The Venom Snake emblem can be unlocked in game, which is why it puzzled me that it was part of the 'exclusive' pre-order DLC. Unless the Nvidia keys also included it?

If you redeemed an Nvidia code it counted as a pre-order code and you got the bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom