• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzgod

Wonder how scalpers are gonna explain their way out of this one.

They can't. They can only refund. You can't guarantee that AMD will start allowing these codes prior to their expiration on the 31st.

The scalpers without ethics will probably try to pawn the burden off to the buyer, claiming the keys are good, it's up to the buyer to talk with AMD support. We won't see that here on GAF, I hope, but I wouldn't be surprised to see such a thing happen elsewhere.

Sounds nice, I'll have to pick it up.....

5Iyv1Oq.png

....What? I do not recall this.
Let out a sigh of relief when I didn't own it.

Do you think it would be possible to redeem one of those AMD Dirt Rally codes on a already approved AMD account or is it the actual codes they are blocking and not just newly created accounts?

Do you think it would be possible to redeem one of those AMD Dirt Rally codes on a already approved AMD account or is it the actual codes they are blocking and not just newly created accounts?

It seems to be that they're requiring verification on all codes put into the site. Presumably this is because they're trying to see where the influx of codes came from, so there's a remote possibility that once they work out it was NewEgg that they'll allow the codes to be redeemed.

For the time being, though, it's best to hold off. It may clear up, though -- otherwise NewEgg is going to have a mountain of refunds to process (and AMD will have a ton of support requests). They may decide to just deal with the "loss" so they don't have to deal with the hassle of refunds/support.

neoemonk

Got done getting all of my cards with Idle Master - thanks so much to the dev!

Now to decide if I want to play the market game or just cash them all out at the instant sell price with Enhanced Steam.

Dr Dogg

Well I guess there's some new faces in here so the brief time let out in Gaming must have been a success of somesort. Same old anime gifs though but hey whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? Oh and it's that time of year where you don't know who half the posters are but fuck it you've got to stare at my ugly mug for the rest of the month. Though I got the feeling January's release schedule is going to put the kibosh on my new fangled New Years Resolution of only buying stuff from funds accrued by selling the mountain of rubbish I've got stuffed in cupboards.

It seems to be that they're requiring verification on all codes put into the site. Presumably this is because they're trying to see where the influx of codes came from, so there's a remote possibility that once they work out it was NewEgg that they'll allow the codes to be redeemed.

For the time being, though, it's best to hold off. It may clear up, though -- otherwise NewEgg is going to have a mountain of refunds to process (and AMD will have a ton of support requests). They may decide to just deal with the "loss" so they don't have to deal with the hassle of refunds/support.

Okay, I was thinking of getting one from a scalper but I'll hold off for now.

Well I guess there's some new faces in here so the brief time let out in Gaming must have been a success of somesort. Same old anime gifs though but hey whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? Oh and it's that time of year where you don't know who half the posters are but fuck it you've got to stare at my ugly mug for the rest of the month. Though I got the feeling January's release schedule is going to put the kibosh on my new fangled New Years Resolution of only buying stuff from funds accrued by selling the mountain of rubbish I've got stuffed in cupboards.

you realize that by mentioning anime gifs, people are gonna post anime gifs... right?

Arthea

Life is Strange looks bad, not going to say PS2 level of bad but it kinda is. Is it supposed to be so or is something on my end?

jdw_b

Life is Strange looks bad, not going to say PS2 level of bad but it kinda is. Is it supposed to be so or is something on my end?

It has its moments, mainly due to lighting. But yeah overall its not a looker

I want those Splinter Cell games but all the uplay hate has me scared

Arthea

you realize that by mentioning anime gifs, people are gonna post anime gifs... right?

indeed, works every single time
I assume people miss those gifs when there are none posted

It has its moments, mainly due to lighting. But yeah overall its not a looker

I want those Splinter Cell games but all the uplay hate has me scared

what a relief

After moving to win10 I have problems with NVidia GFE and drivers for some reason, so I thought may be that's it.

Really what's up with that? GFE keeps crashing and drivers refuse to update. Is it known win10 issue?

Not to mention that GFE takes way too long to load.

I thought it looked great, it has a water color look to it so it's not full of really sharp textures or anything, I wouldn't say bad by any stretch of the word. I remember it resetting graphics options between episodes, so maybe check if they have been turned down?

Nabs

indeed, works every single time
I assume people miss those gifs when there are none posted

what a relief

After moving to win10 I have problems with NVidia GFE and drivers for some reason, so I thought may be that's it.

Really what's up with that? GFE keeps crashing and drivers refuse to update. Is it known win10 issue?

GFE installs can get messed up. I'd reinstall that thing.

zkylon

zkylewd

i think it looks great but you can see the budget constraints in lip synch and animation, mostly

also i still don't get why ppl keep using ps2 level as pejorative, ps2 games look super rad

Khronico

I can't believe I sacrificed all that time and sleep last night for a 99 cent copy of a game I kinda wanted but not really.

What a rollercoaster this past 12 hours has been.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Metal Gear Rising gameplay on Android, via Shield TV.
Your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on here... the game runs flawlessly on my Shield TV, looks equivalent to the 60fps experience on PC. This guy was like... remoting in to his Shield from a phone or something, then running video capture software on top of that high latency stream? Certainly not indicative of the Shield's actual performance.

720p is the only downgrade, which is of course unfortunate since the Shield is capable of outputting in 4k.

Dsyndrome

I have to set the executables to Run As Administrator to prevent loops of asking for my Smart Card. Also can't access GFE from the System Tray, have to open from the Desktop or the root folder.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on here... the game runs flawlessly on my Shield TV, looks equivalent to the 60fps experience on PC. This guy was like... remoting in to his Shield from a phone or something, then running video capture software on top of that high latency stream? Certainly not indicative of the Shield's actual performance.

This is the Android NVidia Shield version running on the hardware that was released today, not the PC version streamed on Shiled machines via Geforce Experience.

Dr Dogg

If mentioning anime gifs is a trigger for folks to randomly post anime gifs then that should say an awful lot more about them (well anyone who randomly post gifs/webms/whatevers unrelated to the topic at hand). I kind of liken it to the behaviour of either someone who is socially awkward in a setting they are uncomfortable with and in an attempt to fit in they blurt out something that they think will make them part of the conversation but it backfires to catastrophic degrees. That or like the mad bastard who gets on the bus who everyone is desperately trying not to make eye contact so he doesn't sit next to you.

Anyways I hope you're all ready to forgive Squeinx for treating you like a bunch of mugs and pick up RotTR when it comes out. Which I really, really doubt is going to happen.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is the Android NVidia Shield version running on the hardware that was released today, not the PC version streamed on Shiled machines via Geforce Experience.

Right. But what I'm saying is I own the Shield and tested the game out a few hours ago. It's buttery smooth and plays great. It feels good. The video that was linked made it look like the game was running at 10-15fps, which is not true. The video was captured from a screen streaming app on someone's phone or other (non-Shield) Android device that was causing the slowdown in the video.

Here's a little better video that shows this game in action.

Right. But what I'm saying is I own the Shield and tested the game out a few hours ago. It's buttery smooth and plays great. It feels good. The video that was linked made it look like the game was running at 10-15fps, which is not true. The video was captured from a screen streaming app on someone's phone or other (non-Shield) Android device that was causing the slowdown in the video.

Here's a little better video that shows this game in action.

BTW, all Shield devcies were updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow from Shiled Tablet K1 and now Shiled TV but only Shiled Portable didn't get such attention. It seems NVidia is neglecting it or just preparing for the sequel codenamed Loki.

jshackles

Anyways I hope you're all ready to forgive Squeinx for treating you like a bunch of mugs and pick up RotTR when it comes out. Which I really, really doubt is going to happen.

Already got my copy pre-ordered, just waiting on GMG to deliver my code.

Do I need to play XCOM Enemy Within before I play Enemy Unknown?

nope

2 starts off with you losing a few months into Enemy Unknown, which led to surrender and the Alien conquest

some story related stuff is that Bradford was your second-in-command, Valen was the head science person and Shen was the head engineer person

bigzgod

Already bought from B/S/T for $20, courtesy of Nvidia :D

Hope it's good!

Shadownet

Banned
nope

2 starts off with you losing a few months into Enemy Unknown, which led to surrender and the Alien conquest

some story related stuff is that Bradford was your second-in-command, Valen was the head science person and Shen was the head engineer person

So if I remember correctly, chronologically it's The Bureau > Enemy Within > Enemy Unknown > XCOM 2 right?

Edit: oh wait Enemy Within is an expansion to Enemy Unknown. okay I guess I'll finish Enemy Unknown first.

Miff

So, I've been having Steam controller issues recently. I won't bore with the details. After hearing how bad Steam support was, I was dreading putting in a ticket.

But... they've actually been really responsive. First response took almost a week over the Xmas period (didn't think that was unreasonable given the timing and priority), and since then they've been following up on my responses between 1 and 4 days.

Even though the exchange was very scripted (have you tried option X, try option Y), I'm actually pretty happy with the service I got. I realize that it's only 1 ticket in 1000xxx, but just wanted to share something positive about the service.

Having to return the pad unfortunately.
I'm still a believer :).

Kinda wish I'd bought an animu skin sticker for the controller just for the lolz when they open the package.

Arthea

I picked Black Closet instead, it being at the top of GOTY list for writing proves I chose wisely.

just kidding, the real reason is, that I decided I won't let myself to buy it until I'm done with TR2013. It's not easy, but has to be done.

Dr Dogg

Already got my copy pre-ordered, just waiting on GMG to deliver my code.

Sold my Xbone copy already for a smidge over £24 which was £11 less than I bought it for and used the 2016 25% GMG voucher to snag the PC version for £30. So in total the whole ordeal has cost me £47 but hey I got to play it on release, knock out the story and got 24 hours worth of entertainment that I get to do all again. I'm sure my buoyant enthusiasm is hiding a deep regret in there somewhere.

So if I remember correctly, chronologically it's The Bureau > Enemy Within > Enemy Unknown > XCOM 2 right?

Enemy Within is the same story as Enemy Unknown

it just adds maps, cybernetic/psyonic upgrades, a base defense scenario, new races, alien robots and the exalt group who are brainwashed humans

none of that matters in 2, so the chronological order is The Bureau > Enemy Within > Resurrection (the book) > 2

pahamrick

Edit: oh wait Enemy Within is an expansion to Enemy Unknown. okay I guess I'll finish Enemy Unknown first.

There really isn't much point to playing Enemy Unknown without EW in my opinion. It's not like its an expansion that adds to the story so much as it adds content to the existing game. It's similar to Civ expansions in that it adds and improves on whats already there.

Uzzy

New Crusader Kings 2 DLC, Conclave. Here's the trailer.

Conclave, the newest expansion for the game, will give your vassals some bite to go along with your bark, as the council that governs your realm will now demand some say in how you rule. Powerful dukes, regardless of competence, will require a seat at the table, and those left on the outside will be more likely to plot against you.

Keep your council happy, and the mighty vassals will resist the pull of faction and civil war. Dismiss their interests, though, and you may find yourself trying to hold together a council at war with itself.

Balance councillor skill and power to keep your dynasty safe and strong. Ignore powerful underlings at your peril, or simply buy their loyalty with favors. Conclave makes the royal council a force unto itself.

Looks very promising. Some more internal politics is exactly what we need from Paradox games.

Loved TR2013 so picking up the sequel for $20 was a no brainer. I have an xb1 but i've been holding off on TR2013-2 since I knew the PC version was coming. Glad it's almost here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom