• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

really odd situation

it uses AMD's TressFX 3.0 and NVIDIA says it will have VXAO (some new AO tech they have)

To be honest anything would be better than the AO Crystal Dynamics used in the Xbone release (well apart from Far Cry 3's wacky take on AO). Something, something Ambient Obsucance I think they called it. Not particularly accurate and wasn't very tight to the geometry that there was a visible halo on most objects (there's a chair in the title screen where it was massively obvious). Pretty stable though and no flickering or clipping that you can normally see in cheaper implementations used in some console titles but that's not been a problem on PC for a while with various methods available.

Isn't VXAO what they used in that Moon Landing lighting demo they put out when Maxwell released? HBAO+ Ultra in Syndicate is currently the muts nuts as far as AO implementations go from what I've seen first hand so should be nice to get something new to play with.

Parsnip

To be honest anything would be better than the AO Crystal Dynamics used in the Xbone release (well apart from Far Cry 3's wacky take on AO). Something, something Ambient Obsucance I think they called it. Not particularly accurate and wasn't very tight to the geometry that there was a visible halo on most objects (there's a chair in the title screen where it was massively obvious). Pretty stable though and no flickering or clipping that you can normally see in cheaper implementations used in some console titles but that's not been a problem on PC for a while with various methods available.

Isn't VXAO what they used in that Moon Landing lighting demo they put out when Maxwell released? HBAO+ Ultra in Syndicate is currently the muts nuts as far as AO implementations go from what I've seen first hand so should be nice to get something new to play with.
I'm very curious about it.

Kezen posted these on one of the threads. he didn't specify an exact source for them though. Some conference in 2011 I guess.

qUeMFow.png
69GOTUs.png

Soulflarz

Banned
Can someone please port FF XII to PC
Like legally
Square
Please

I'm sitting here playing it on my ps2.
Companies like them are why I keep my PS2 plugged in at all times.

Kanokare

Like legally
Square
Please

You're complaining about a company who has brought pretty much most of their FF numbered games to the PC and blaming them?

tuxfool

Banned

No, that is VXGI. Which is voxel based real time Global Illumination.

If we had that then we wouldn't need any AO at all.

After someone posted an interview with the creators of Shadow Hearts I got the urge to replay them. The first 2 are the best rpgs on PS2 that don't have SMT in the name.
Shame that the first game only runs well in software mode but at least it's almost flawless.
Anyone here play them?

MUnited83

For you.

Guys

get on this

right now

0.59$
It's really good, especially for such a low price, and it has a great sense of humour and a neat artstyle and it also takes a couple of hours to finish. I recommend it to everyone but especially if you enjoyed Undertale. Get.on.this.train.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Guys

get on this

right now

0.59$
It's really good, especially for such a low price, and it has a great sense of humour and a neat artstyle and it also takes a couple of hours to finish. I recommend it to everyone but especially if you enjoyed Undertale. Get.on.this.train.

Okay but if I don't like it I'm never taking your suggestions again.

Like legally
Square
Please

I imported the zodiac edition, applied the fan translation patch and played it in glorious HD on PCSX2. It was great.

Tektonic

whenever i click on a link from neogaf, i get an api.viglink url and:

Parameter 'out' is required

... its frustrating

Bowlie

Banned

Guys

get on this

right now

0.59$

I'm gonna trust you on that. Buying it.

I'm very curious about it.

Kezen posted these on one of the threads. he didn't specify an exact source for them though. Some conference in 2011 I guess.

VX based AO is there to work with VXGI, casting indirect AO from indirect shadows and lights. HBAO+ (and now HBAO+ Ultra) can work in tandem in top of that to get higher quality AO.

Dr Dogg

Well VXGI is library made up of various components and can operate in various modes, one of them being ambient occlusion. Granted while no commercial game has shipped with it as of yet Nvidia have released a few bit of info most notably during the GPU Tech Conferences. Here's 2015's talk were AO is talked about at around 36mins. And the slides show it in action for their moon landing demo.

tuxfool

Banned
VX based AO is there to work with VXGI, casting indirect AO from indirect shadows and lights. HBAO+ (and now HBAO+ Ultra) can work in tandem in top of that to get higher quality AO.

The thing about HBAO (and most other screenspace AO), is that as good as it looks, it is still drastically inaccurate in regard to the real world.

You wouldn't want to use that after you went through all the trouble of simulating light bounce with VXGI.

Well VXGI is library made up of various components and can operate in various modes, one of them being ambient occlusion.

Thanks for this. As of yet there is no game that integrates VXGI, but there are a few Cryengine games that are integrating SVOTI, which is essentially the same thing (at a high level). Another one that is Tomorrow Children, which has its own proprietary implementation.

MUnited83

For you.

"Due to a system glitch". Wut? This exact situation happened so many times before I assumed it wasn't even a mistake at this point, just a way of clearing out the extra stock of codes before they expire. And everytime it happens it is indeed when it's close to expire, so I don't if I buy the "system glitch" thing, especially when it has happened regularly before and it's never fixed...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of chronomac, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DiRT Rally -- MB-80F1B72875C28FBC - Taken by bloke. 57 entrants total.

t1452252359z1.png

"Due to a system glitch". Wut? This exact situation happened so many times before I assumed it wasn't even a mistake at this point, just a way of clearing out the extra stock of codes before they expire. And everytime it happens it is indeed when it's close to expire, so I don't if I buy the "system glitch" thing, especially when it has happened regularly before and it's never fixed...
Maybe AMD wasn't so pleased about it this time.

Which is weird, since the last one I can remember got people Star Citizen, and Alien Isolation. That seems like a bigger loss than this.

The thing about HBAO (and most other screenspace AO), is that as good as it looks, it is still drastically inaccurate in regard to the real world.

You wouldn't want to use that after you went through all the trouble of simulating light bounce with VXGI.

VXGI calculations are more accurate for dynamic lighting solutions which imply indirect lighst shaodws and AO, though it is still gives very low quality results on screen with many many artifacts like voxels in shadows or voxels in reflections; that is why a screen-space space solution like SSR is needed to mask all those hiccups as a late solution or like a make up after a non 100% successful plastic surgery solution :p. VXGI is still in its early stages: when the algorithm and hardware get more advanced, we will ditch the screen space solutions like SSR SSAO and HBAO and all ist variations.

Thanks for this. As of yet there is no game that integrates VXGI, but there are a few Cryengine games that are integrating SVOTI, which is essentially the same thing (at a high level). Another one that is Tomorrow Children, which has its own proprietary implementation.

Also Quantum Break has a nice tech called Multi-Scale Global Illumination which is close to SVOTI.

tuxfool

Banned
VXGI calculations are more accurate for dynamic lighting solutions which imply indirect lighst shaodws and AO, though it is still gives very low quality results on screen with many many artifacts like voxels in shadows or voxels in reflections; that is why a screen-space space solution like SSR is needed to mask all those hiccups as a late solution or like a make up after a non 100% successful plastic surgery solution :p. VXGI is still in its early stages: when the algorithm and hardware get more advanced, we will ditch the screen space solutions like SSR SSAO and HBAO and all ist variations.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for explaining.

bigzgod

Someone else received this message and posted it on another site, looks like they're only letting you keep 5 if you bought more than 5.

We are contacting you today regarding your recent purchase of the AMD Gift AMD Dirt Rally Game Code. As noted in the product title, this product was intended to be given to customers as a gift along with the purchase of an AMD processor. Due to a system glitch, the product was sold as a standalone item allowing you to purchase it individually at a very low price.

Because AMD intended for this item to be given as a gift with purchase, they will be deactivating your codes shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. A full refund will be issued immediately, please expect the funds to return to your original form of payment within the next 3-5 business days

As a token of our appreciation, we will allow you to keep 5 codes for free. We will provide the specific codes we are allowing you to keep in a different email within the next 48 hours.
Sincerely, Newegg Customer Service

Soulflarz

Banned
You're complaining about a company who has brought pretty much most of their FF numbered games to the PC and blaming them?

Sure
I want 12 international.

Aka this waiting game is getting boring since it's a matter of when, not if.

I imported the zodiac edition, applied the fan translation patch and played it in glorious HD on PCSX2. It was great.

On that note, I'm not getting zodiac running on my ps2 in english, am I :<
(As in not without like getting an english copy already patched, since you can't use the original disc in english, and swap magic supports non retail discs)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Like legally
Square
Please

Give it time, it'll show up I'm sure. Although at this point it's much more likely to show up on the PS4's new PS2 emulator first.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What about the confirmation non-confirmation of a HD remake on that concert thingy?

They issued an official statement denying everything (of course they would) but it's totally possible that what Arnie Roth saw SE working on was the PS4 port. At least, that's my best guess.

Hektor

Can i reitarate on how much i liked FFXII while you're talking about it? I only played through the game once, but i probably sunk around 200 hours into the game due to the rare monsters and bounty hunter quests and all. It's my favorite FF and one of my favorite JPRG's in general.

I even bought (and still own) a Piggyback Guidebook for it. It's just so good. So, so good.

tuxfool

Banned
FFXII is one of the few games that I have played through more than twice. An HD remaster would be great but it still looks pretty good on pcsx2.

Madn

I've talked well about it, maybe it was me?!

Glad someone in here is finally playing it.

I'm sorry, I'm really bad at remembering names/avatars :(
Feel free to take the merit, tough! I've really enjoyed it a lot. Both the story and the combat system are great. For being a free Game Maker game I found it to be incredibly well made

jshackles

Can i reitarate on how much i liked FFXII while you're talking about it? I only played through the game once, but i probably sunk around 200 hours into the game due to the rare monsters and bounty hunter quests and all. It's my favorite FF and one of my favorite JPRG's in general.

I even bought (and still own) a Piggyback Guidebook for it. It's just so good. So, so good.

It's pretty great, yeah. A lot of people call it the single-player MMO Final Fantasy, and I think that fits pretty well. I mean, one of the series signature traits is that there's almost always post-game stuff to do, but XII went above and beyond anything (even XIII and it's sequels) ever seen in a single player Final Fantasy game.

I've got my old PS2 disc and guide still, I might have to pop it into a PS2 emulator once I get my new graphics card up and running. I tried playing it that way a couple of years ago when I got my current card and I could only get about 10-15fps out of it at 1080p.

Parsnip

It's the best FF game.
One day I'll play the international zodiac version, maybe once they remaster it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom