• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
Witcher 3 will be the clear winner (even if it's only my number 2), it's really a matter of battling for the rest of the spots.

Lomax

Ah yeah Witcher 3 seems the mostly likely candidate but I missed the hype when it released so the game I've seen people most passionate about is Contradiction, or Life is Strange.

LiS seems likely for top 5, yeah. It will probably be my #2 even though I wasn't nearly as taken with it as most. Though I didn't have as negative a feeling about the last episode either. Except
that stealth area. That was just horrible.

Dsyndrome

Don't forget Pillars of Eternity, folks, when you're thinking of LiS, Contradiction, and Her Story. Everyone loves Obsidian.

Wish I played more of Age of Decadence, too many RPG's.

1. The Witcher 3
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Undertale
4. Lakeview Cabin Collection
5. Pathologic Classic HD
98. Hatred
99. Life is Strange

The hottest of lists, and not really accurate but with 5 entries I had to get 4 and 5 on there somehow because no one else will :p

77da5fee6ad0d1e6419159cf843656d7.gif

Dr Dogg

Well I guess I better finish some stuff from 2015 sharpish then. Also those thinking about voting for MGS5, I'm watching you...

Kifimbo

Guys

get on this

right now

0.59$
It's really good, especially for such a low price, and it has a great sense of humour and a neat artstyle and it also takes a couple of hours to finish. I recommend it to everyone but especially if you enjoyed Undertale. Get.on.this.train.

Bought. I rarely impulse-buy, but why not.

MUnited83

For you.
Don't forget that MGSV isn't eligible, since it was only on Early Access on 2015, it's only getting the full release now when they finally patch it to the full release.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can already tell this GOTY voting will be interesting. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I need to finish my Xcom EW campaign while the hype for Xcom 2 is high. Not that I'm buying Xcom 2 at launch, even though I would like to.

And for some reason I feel like I'm craving some Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Darkest Dungeon is still good by the way, looking forward to full release.

iosefe

i still have a logn war that has been languishing

things haven't been the same since Turf made her heroic sacrifice

I should finish Hong Kong, got into a bad situation within the Matrix involving the new, god-awful stealth system so I never went back to it despite otherwise enjoying it.
GAF
Where we say we adore a game and 2 months later say we hate it.
It's hella lame.

PC really must not have any games if people are struggling to come up with 5 entries.

AHA-Lambda

Sent my vote in.

Quite happy it's only 5 actually, found it more difficult to stretch my choices to a top 10 for the other thread

1. Life is Strange
2. MGS V
3. Contradiction
4. The Beginner's Guide
5. Undertale

I'm currently playing Witcher 3 and it'd probably end up beng in there somewhere but I've not finished it yet

Corpekata

Banned
GAF
Where we say we adore a game and 2 months later say we hate it.

Well, there's been a lot of long ass games this year that have mediocre (or flat out missing) final acts that people might take a while to get to.

MGSV
Fallout 4
LIfe is Strange (not a long game, but released over a long period of time)
Dying Light

Heck even games I really like like Divinity OS and Witcher 3 open strong and I wouldn't say end badly as much as don't reach the heights of say, the Bloody Baron arc.

Eila

1. TitS SC
2. Huniepop
3. Contradiction
4. Metal Slug
5. How do you do it?
Hmm I managed to put out a list. I'll try to at a least play Ys VI so I can put it on the list. I'm sure if I had another year to work through my backlog I'd put out a better list.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've actually played 5 games which were released in 2015/are eligible for the GOTY.

Arthea

I need more time, I need to finish two games to vote, one of those is on my list and Black Closet probably will be.

Two weeks might be not enough for me, sigh

Lomax

I can already tell this GOTY voting will be interesting. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I think a two stage vote where maybe the top 25 point getters are listed and then people vote for the would be interested and remove a lot of the wasted votes and result in some real campaigns, but that would also be a lot of extra work.

Damn just leaving Undertale and the puzzle fishing game to their deaths. So sad.

Oh yeah! Can't forget about Cat Goes Fishing. Though I dunno that if that's what you're referring to.

Nabs

My list is going to be something like: Ori, Life is Strange, Not a Hero...

Going to have think the rest over.

Arthea

Let's put it this way, I've played enough of The Witcher III that it's in my top 3 regardless. Plus I'm on to Act II now! At this rate I should have it finished by... March... 2017 :(

I haven't even started, not that I feel guilty, first I was waiting until bugs will be fixed, then I started some other game, then I had no PC for a while, the usual, so no The Witcher vote from me, although I probably would have voted for it if I played.

Monooboe

The GOTY this year was as I’ve said before quite hard, so many games that I wanted to have on the list but just had to cut. In the end I decided to have a list that I think were the games that were closest to my heart even if they didn’t fully live up to what I wanted. I decided to go after games that are the closest to the thing I want games to be. I think if you take all the games below and make one game from that, that would be my dream game.

1. Witcher 3
This spot was always set, even if I kind of didn’t want it to be Witcher 3 but that game just was the pinnacle of gaming in my eyes, sure not in every aspect but the overall experience. I remember several times while it thinking “this is the damn best game I’ve ever played!” and yet at the end after playing it a massive amount I wasn’t tired of the game and says A LOT.

2. Pillars of Eternity
This game… while playing it I was often frustrated with but also very much in love with. I was disappointed with everything it didn’t do yet surprised with everything it did do. It had great characters and great story bits but lacked in meaningful character interactions. There are so much to the game that’s just a blur that I can’t remember but still can’t shake that warm feeling.

3. Fallout 4

I had so damn high hopes for this game, I was so sure it would be my GOTY. While it does something that the other games on the list doesn’t and that is a sense of freedom and that is the most important part for me. The reason it fell down a few spots is because the story was outright awful and so much of the game mechanics were just not that good.

4. Grow Home
This game was on its way to be taken of the list but I just couldn’t let it go, the joy I felt while playing it is unmatched on this list, well unmatched throughout the year. It has so much heart and the freedom is there. It just lacks in content but that’s just fine.

5. Mad Max
The biggest surprise of the year without a doubt. I didn’t expect anything more than a by the numbers open world gaming going in but while it is very “checklist” open world it also one of the few open world games this year that felt immersive, in the sense that story was such a small part of it and just being the world was the main point of the game. That feeling of just driving around the desert. For this spot I was trying to decide between Batman Arkham Knight and AC Syndicate but Mad Max is just such well put together thing, that even parts that are bad still fit in the mould. It would probably been higher on the list if it wasn’t for those bad part, like no “restart race” on timed racing and such.

I have to mention Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands. While they didn’t make the list they were one of my favorite moments of the year. Also Rocket League, so damned good!

Also some games I didn't really play but should have: Undertale, MGSV, Contradiction, Her Story.

1. Undertale
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Life is Strange
4. Rocket League
5. Cities: Skylines

Speaking of Pillars of Eternity, I beat it earlier today. Yep, still awesome. Grabbed the expansion pass as well, gonna take a few days to play some other stuff before I start The White March.

Dr Dogg

So you like watch dogs but not MGSV?

Well I kind of expected the extra fidelity in the graphics department to be missing upon release of Watch Dogs as that's the sort of stuff Ubi pulls on a regular. What I didn't expect was the story and narrative hooks of a Kojima game to be as neutered and missing as they were in MGS5. Couple that with all the shit Konami pulled (especially stuff like FOB insurance) added in after the game as released as well as trying to not mention any of this until the game as even out really soured me on the game. Mechanically it's head and shoulders above anything else I played last year but that's only part of the draw MGS has for me and it's really lacking in those other areas.

Dsyndrome

So we're posting our lists now? Ok.

1) Witcher 3 - With it's non-binary story, gorgeous atmosphere, and an open world that puts all others to shame in terms of exploration, Witcher 3 is far and away the best game to come out this year, and one of my top RPG's ever.
2) Pillars of Eternity - RTWP is back with a vengeance thanks to Obsidian and KS, resurrecting the long-forgotten classic CRPG in glorious fashion.
3) Contradiction - Featuring best performance by stoned drug dealer and one of the top left field endings this year, Contradiction has it all.
4) Her Story - One of the shortest games this year, Her Story will have you talking about the ending for far longer.
5) Clicker Heroes - Because Bloodborne got robbed.

iosefe

#1: Clicker heroes: it's all i've played this year

i kid, but it might as well have been. 634 hous and counting

Sch1sm

Wait, how long is this? I might be able to make time before I vote.

Not even 3 hours to complete. I beat it twice in ~6h so I could 100%.

My list is something like

Her Story
Ori
Undertale
LiS
... idk what I'll do for #5 yet. Hacknet? Mini Metro? Crypt of the Necrodancer? NOT A HERO? Arkham Knight (l o l).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom