• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

Oh its full blown list time?

1. Pillars of Eternity
  2. The Witcher III
  3. Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  4. Cities: Skylines
  5. Invisible, Inc

I'm saving my blurb for Pillars for the PM.

There's other games that I played that I thoroughly enjoyed, but for some reason or another weren't quite enough to crack my #5. Like Fallout 4, MGSV, Just Cause 3 or Mad Max.

Jawmuncher

Well I kind of expected the extra fidelity in the graphics department to be missing upon release of Watch Dogs as that's the sort of stuff Ubi pulls on a regular. What I didn't expect was the story and narrative hooks of a Kojima game to be as neutered and missing as they were in MGS5. Couple that with all the shit Konami pulled (especially stuff like FOB insurance) added in after the game as released as well as trying to not mention any of this until the game as even out really soured me on the game. Mechanically it's head and shoulders above anything else I played last year but that's only part of the draw MGS has for me and it's really lacking in those other areas.

Even with my complaints to MGSV, still felt it was the best thing I played all year. Was unimpressed with MGS since 4, and V brought me back. I feel it's the best title after the original trilogy. Not many games have me wanting to come back like MGSV did. The game really made you feel like big boss with the sandbox gameplay. Sure it might be bloated, and the story not on par with the others. But I had so much fun creating my own ways to tackle objectives that I can't help but love it. Plus when the story had its moments, they really stood out.

Still I can understand people not liking it. But it's definitely overboard to say it was a complete waste of time or a horrible game (though I know someone will quote this just to say that).

Anyways I hope you're all ready to forgive Squeinx for treating you like a bunch of mugs and pick up RotTR when it comes out. Which I really, really doubt is going to happen.

BST Thread for $20. All is forgiven.

Also, pretty sure you used that avatar last year? That's crap.

Grief.exe

How long is the voting period open for?

It's pretty great, yeah. A lot of people call it the single-player MMO Final Fantasy, and I think that fits pretty well. I mean, one of the series signature traits is that there's almost always post-game stuff to do, but XII went above and beyond anything (even XIII and it's sequels) ever seen in a single player Final Fantasy game.

I've got my old PS2 disc and guide still, I might have to pop it into a PS2 emulator once I get my new graphics card up and running. I tried playing it that way a couple of years ago when I got my current card and I could only get about 10-15fps out of it at 1080p.

PS2 emulation has also come along way since that point, PCSX2 has made a lot of progress in 2015.

Sch1sm

t1453420800z4.png

Lain

1 - Lightning Returns - Final Fantasy XIII
2 - Eternal Senia
3 - Ori and the Blind Forest
4 - HuniePop
5 - Life is Strange

Eternal Senia would have been first if Lightning Returns hadn't come out in 2015 (the Goddess will always be sitting at the top no matter what).
Despite being a free to play game, with all the negative connotations people might have for them, it was a fun little romp with a simple and touching story that left a really positive impression on me.
I keep hoping more people would give it a shot.

HuniePop has been a surprising fun game that could have been fantastic if it had more in the narrative department, like going deeper in the mom/daughter relationship, or giving more depth to the interactions and building of relationship with the girls. But the game was fun.

Ori was a great looking game, with awesome gameplay but some weird flaws for a game of its kind, like locking you out of sections, not letting you keep going after completing the story etc. Hopefully the Definitive Edition fixes all these things.

MUnited83

For you.

PS2 emulation has also come along way since that point, PCSX2 has made a lot of progress in 2015.

I just wish they would allow us to save settings for specific games. Also some other features that could be streamlined.

Thinking about it, that's probably how divinity and Rogue Legacy won. Everyone should strategically vote. It makes it more fun.
I think Divinity won because it was legit great and everyone was extremely positive about it, also 2 packs and Russian trading made sure tons of people played it that year instead of waiting for a sale.

Arthea

BTW I just started Black Closed and already did my fair share of bullying, I think muncher should definitely wishlist this game or outright buy

I know there's at a least 3 people that will have TitS SC in their list (SevenSword, you, me).
Surely that's enough to get in top 20?

let's hope so

Uraizen

Banned
1) Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation
2) LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII
3) GUILTY GEAR Xrd -SIGN-
4) GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CORE PLUS R
5) THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH

Top Nep deserves top spot for being top game of the year.

Best ballot has already been submitted.

Sch1sm

I forgot about Tales from the Borderlands, so my GOTY will definitely change from what I posted above. I didn't play many AAA titles, though, so there was never a chance for Fallout 4, or MGS V to show up. I played GTA V on console since it released there first. MKX and Arkham Knight just aren't games I'd put on my list, the end. I dunno. Indie, indie, indie, indie, Telltale, indie, indie, indie, indie, Telltale - that's what my played list for this entire year looks like.

I'm not sure if it's acceleration, but there's a deadzone/acceleration threshold of some kind. You have to move the mouse at a certain speed for the game to register the input. It doesn't register slow movements.

I'm playing with 800DPI (6/11 in Windows) and like 20% sensitivity in-game.
Yes, it feels very off. Can only imagine it being intended for controller use but the couple minutes I tried playing Isolation with my DS3 were still not feeling good.
I'm OK with devs changing things up in movement - I loved Killzone 2 movement! - but I'd really appreciate them offering some options to customize. Having to resort to RTSS to get mouse working fine for me should not be necessary.

Fuck, aliens can shoot through wall in XCOM: EW; I suck at this game; China, good luck.

I keep thinking about going back to XCOM. Last run I was using Long War and picked the second war option that calculated money based on panic levels in a country.

It was a disaster. I couldn't deal even with scumming and bailed.

Not enough of us to make it worthwhile?

Just go see the main GAF GOTY thread and see people simply fail at reading and/or following rules.
That's a good point but as a counterpoint just look at the steep success ModBot became for raffling! ....there are still many people confused about setting up though to give you credit.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Do we have any confirmation from folk who bought a graphic card and got the code that the activation on nvidia site works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom