• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
A better question is why haven't they played Trails in the Sky SC yet.

:mad:
it's got a simple answer

too expensive

ppl don't buy games for like 30 bucks on this thread :p

at least not ones that look like ps1 games (even tho i kind of really like tits' ps1-esque look)

Arthea

My SteamDB-fu maybe isn't the best, but I can't find a russian specific cd-key in SteamDB. Someone wanna tell me that I am wrong?

only retail GOTY I can see has "Cross region trading and gifting is disabled for this item". I'm no longer sure that specific region apps are even needed, I'm actually not sure about anything aside of that everything on steam is region locked.

edited: talking about retail games, this reminds me of that case when I bought a game outside of steam and it wasn't even a retail key, but some dev specific app, it's a mess I say you, a mess.

it's got a simple answer

too expensive

ppl don't buy games for like 30 bucks on this thread :p

at least not ones that look like ps1 games (even tho i kind of really like tits' ps1-esque look)

I'm pretty sure they even have regional pricing to accommodate them.

Bah humbug.

Arthea

I like how Trails being a PC game has that PS1 look to it

edited: getting back to Mordor, it's really strange that there are no region specific apps. Where is Jasec when you need him?

ViviOggi

"Ice from here, left one into immediate hairpin right"
L8WgFUD.png

fertygo

I want to buy SC but I'm not even play FC yet

But its low sales made me wanna support it tbh.. I gonna buy it if I have some extras. I know its great game that I gonna love if I ever gonna play it so I guess why not.

Miff

In SC I've just landed in Zeiss. Dialogue and parts of the story are great as always, but because I'm treading old locations I'm just not feeling as much excitement as to pick it up and play as I should be.

So is that Marc Laidlaw thread the dedicated valve whining thread?

Seems like it. I thought some of the Valve comments were quite harsh, but not exactly untrue.

XShagrath

Has anyone who bought a RotTR code yesterday tried it on the nvidia redemption site again? I'm getting an cancelled code error now when I input mine.

Deques

978494dac2a202c86d2f8a0d4e5ddbf5329d382d.jpg

It seems not many of you know that SATAZIUS recently got achievements. Why not go back to this game and play it for an hour :D
You can unlock at least half of them in that short time :p

Has anyone who bought a RotTR code yesterday tried it on the nvidia redemption site again? I'm getting an cancelled code error now when I input mine.

Ask the voucher provider if you got the wrong code

XShagrath

When I did mine it said something about out of keys and I'll be notified.

I'd verify the key is right.

That's the message I got last night. But now I'm getting a different message with the same key. I'm wondering if newegg/nvidia backpedaled and decided to just cancel all the codes.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Can my GOTY ballot be this?

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Valkyria Chronicles
4. Valkyria Chronicles
5. Valkyria Chronicles

... no? :(

Is there a way to check what games in your library released this year? Or do I have to do that manually?

Echoplx

I just looked at what games I actually played last year and got depressed. Need to stop playing huge ass games and play some smaller ones.

Arthea

I just looked at what games I actually played last year and got depressed. Need to stop playing huge ass games and play some smaller ones.

There is nothing wrong with playing big games, you probably know that, you don't need 5 games to vote, you can vote for less if you want.

Can my GOTY ballot be this?

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Valkyria Chronicles
4. Valkyria Chronicles
5. Valkyria Chronicles

... no? :(

Is there a way to check what games in your library released this year? Or do I have to do that manually?
nope, no way
as far as I know, I keep a list for example

ViviOggi

All AAA games are open world nowadays, after getting my new rig I focused on games with many graphics and they're all 1000 hour checklist simulators

I can't finish anything, a mess

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, after going through a second ending, undertale's gonna be a top 2 if not goty for me. i love you obsidian, pillars is a fantastic game, but undertale is probably the most important game i've played all year. i gotta cool off and think about it some more tomorrow cos i tend to come out pretty hot off beating games but man is undertale special

and what a fucking tremendous year for humanity and storytelling in games 2015 has been

we've had things like undertale, her story, cibele, life is strange, the witcher 3 and pillars of eternity probably more than i haven't played all going pretty deep into very human struggles and actually giving really rewarding and positive messages from its themes

it's hard to believe but videogames have really pulled off some amazing stuff in 2015 and undertale was really the perfect way to close it out

wow, videogames

I'm pretty sure they even have regional pricing to accommodate them.

Bah humbug.
not for me at least

but it's not hard to imagine a jrpg at $30 not being played by a lot of ppl

it'll probably get some more recognition when it goes on sale, that's just how these things go

I like how Trails being a PC game has that PS1 look to it
yeah, i love it

specially on chantelise the mix of 3d levels and sprites with like a triggers controlled camera, i just love that stuff

it's gonna be tough, i might just put it at #1

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
All AAA games are open world nowadays, after getting my new rig I focused on games with many graphics and they're all 1000 hour checklist simulators

Witcher 3 is the game you should play then.
Play that turn off question marks and boom you have the best openworld game in years with actually good narrative and story.

EDIT: Also please SE port Secret of Mana to steam. I don't care if it is the mobile version, it'll be a day one purchase for me eitherway.

Hektor

Ehm... my TR Code is suddenly saying it's invalid?

I warned you

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

I warned you

I have another problem, I can't go to redeem.nvidia at this time.
I get a message saying access denied from this server.

EDIT: works now and still only saying out of stock. DAMN guess I got really lucky.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I think this is why I've been spending most of my money on indies and older consoles for the most part lately. I don't got time for that crap.

Arthea

I think this is why I've been spending most of my money on indies and older consoles for the most part lately. I don't got time for that crap.

It's not even only that, roaming for the most part an empty world or devoid of excitement most of the time is even bigger problem. I understand why open worlds are being made and why people like it, but I prefer goals and entertainment over that.

Ludens

Banned

Excluding Witcher 3 in which I did everything, IF I play an open world game, I only do the main plot.
I did it in Saints Row 3,4 and GTAV (never did a side, only 63 main missions).

I think it's easy do an open world game: just see Mordor and Mad Max.
They are pretty much big, empty sand-boxes filled with repetitive activities (Max Max is just a big desert, Mordor is located...in Mordor which is just a big wasteland), so my advice is doing only main missions. Or at least is what I do.

The only case in which I do a side is if there's some kind of story content behind it (like all sides in Witcher 3).

If I just need to clear the map from marks, I'll skip that garbage.

Excluding Witcher 3 in which I did everything, IF I play an open world game, I only do the main plot.
I did it in Saints Row 3,4 and GTAV (never did a side, only 63 main missions).

I think it's easy do an open world game: just see Mordor and Mad Max.
They are pretty much big, empty sand-boxes filled with repetitive activities (Max Max is just a big desert, Mordor is located...in Mordor which is just a big wasteland), so my advice is doing only main missions. Or at least is what I do.

The only case in which I do a side is if there's some kind of story content behind it (like all sides in Witcher 3).

If I just need to clear the map from marks, I'll skip that garbage.

This applies to most AAA games sadly nowadays.
Playing Far Cry 4 now it has a huge beautiful open world map, where you cant actually do anything besides playing the same sidequests and collecting shit over and over again. Same with AC Syndicate.

Witcher 3 did it right. The world feels like a "living thing". Most places are tied to a sidequest or at least feel like something happened there. In the city people roam around. If you are in an inn you can see people outside doing their "daily" AI things, but it really feels like the devs thought about these things.

And the map, as shown in the NeoGAF thread, really looks like a real fantasy map where they thought where roads should go and how such a world would look like.

Ludens

Banned
This applies to most AAA games sadly nowadays.
Playing Far Cry 4 now it has a huge beautiful open world map, where you cant actually do anything besides playing the same sidequests and collecting shit over and over again. Same with AC Syndicate.

Witcher 3 did it right. The world feels like a "living thing". Most places are tied to a sidequest or at least feel like something happened there. In the city people roam around. If you are in an inn you can see people outside doing their "daily" AI things, but it really feels like the devs thought about these things.

And the map, as shown in the NeoGAF thread, really looks like a real fantasy map where they thought where roads should go and how such a world would look like.

Yup, Witcher 3 is simply amazing, CDPR delivered great contents here. Even if you compare the game to other acclaimed rpgs (like Inquisition), the way CDPR designed side activities is simply great. Instead of having a huge list of "go here, kill that" (that's still present under the "?" marks, but you can totally skip those and still having an amazing experience), they crafted each side with a unique plot. Even Heart of Stone is amazing: for under 10€, you have a 16 hours experience of totally new contents.
I hate the DLC practice (I stated it many times already), but if all DLCs would be like this, I'd change my mind. I still remember back in days old expansion packs providing pretty much the same amount of contents if not more compared to the base game (Blizzard was great in this).

I want to buy SC but I'm not even play FC yet

But its low sales made me wanna support it tbh.. I gonna buy it if I have some extras. I know its great game that I gonna love if I ever gonna play it so I guess why not.

I feel really bad for them as well. They've talked at length about how much effort they put in and how many struggles they had to go through to localize SC. It feels like the PC community should support them and I really hope the game has long legs on the platform.

But, like you, I haven't even started FC so there's always this mental block when it comes to buying the sequel.

Yeah, I realized this as well. Last year GTA 5, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 took away a little less than 300 hours of my gaming time. So many games I wanted to play fell by the wayside because of how many months these huge games end up taking.

Lunaniem

I warned you

I have another problem, I can't go to redeem.nvidia at this time.
I get a message saying access denied from this server.

EDIT: works now and still only saying out of stock. DAMN guess I got really lucky.

I haven't received any emails or been refunded yet so hopefully this is just server issues at the moment.

I tested with 2 codes right now and they still work.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think witcha 3 was for the most part ok but i'm not a huge fan anyways of that style of open world because it felt really restrictive to me. it isn't a big sandbox like gta or fallout new vegas, it's essentially witcha 2 with longer stretches in between quests. or mass effect without a world map

you can pick up herbs and find hidden loot but this isn't a very complex simulated world with similarly complex ways of interacting with it

you can't stealth your way out of a situation or kill anyone you want or even solve most quests outside of dialogue choices, which are also limited.

you're not allowed to be creative in how you solve quests and so i don't feel like i enjoy it being open world or free or whatever. i prefer a more directed style like in witcha 2 in that case, because this is just not that interesting of a world to explore, at least not mechanically

it's something like a mafia 2 to gta 4 comparison, tho not crap like mafia 2

witcha 3 is really great in a lot of things, but i honestly would've preferred if it was just smaller

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm not re-entering that TR code... The site said to just wait for an e-mail with the activation so I'll do just that

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seems people like Uplay, the average got to almost $10...

Well, the top tier is $70 and includes the Division and two items.

Small number of purchasers (10K last I checked) + $70 asking price = average being raised if people buy that or just pay a dollar or so more than the average per sale.

Nabs

You guys need to calm down, you'll get your TR. Believe in the Swift.

I don't know if I'll ever get my Dirt Rally from AMD, but I'm happy I was able to hook up a few members with free copies.

we're doing a steamgaf goty vote? rules and regulations?

Rules: Include Rocket League and Ori and the Blind Forest in your top 5.

Or this.

Ludens

Banned
i think witcha 3 was for the most part ok but i'm not a huge fan anyways of that style of open world because it felt really restrictive to me. it isn't a big sandbox like gta or fallout new vegas, it's essentially witcha 2 with longer stretches in between quests. or mass effect without a world map

you can pick up herbs and find hidden loot but this isn't a very complex simulated world with similarly complex ways of interacting with it

you can't stealth your way out of a situation or kill anyone you want or even solve most quests outside of dialogue choices, which are also limited.

you're not allowed to be creative in how you solve quests and so i don't feel like i enjoy it being open world or free or whatever. i prefer a more directed style like in witcha 2 in that case, because this is just not that interesting of a world to explore, at least not mechanically

it's something like a mafia 2 to gta 4 comparison, tho not crap like mafia 2

witcha 3 is really great in a lot of things, but i honestly would've preferred if it was just smaller

Umh, what do you mean? The map in Witcher 3 is open: is not big as GTAV, but GTAV is a free roaming, open world game, while Witcher 3 is a RPG first, WITH open world (not all rpgs have an open world structure). You can travel in pretty much the whole Novigrad and Velen map from the beginning, there are things to grab, not only herbs and loot (you can retrieve hidden witcher's sets, in example).

Regarding the way you can solve a situation, I agree with you it's not too open, but again I think it's a precise choise by CDPR. After all you role-play as Geralt of Rivia, and why you should act in a way if this is against the Witcher's style? Also I think it's a good thing there are no stealth sections in the game, because the way the game is designed would make stealth just barebone and horrible, in my opinion.

Also Witcher 2 was much, much smaller than W3. It was almost "on rail", you have zero freedom in Witcher 2.

we're doing a steamgaf goty vote? rules and regulations?

Here you go:

KrtdLef.png

Voting is now open for the third annual NeoGaf Steam GOTY Award. Voting is simple, just follow these steps:
  • Choose your top 5 favorite games that released on Steam in 2015. See below for official eligibility
  • Award your favorite game (#1 choice) 5 points, your next (#2 choice) 4 points, and so on.
  • (Optional) write a few sentances explaining why you think your top choice deserves to win
  • PM everything to jshackles
Here is a sample entry you can copy/paste into your PM:

Voting will close on January 21st at 4:00PM PST
t1453420800z4.png

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.
  • Game must have have been released on Steam in 2015.
  • Re-releases, ports, and remasters are only eligible if the original source material was not previously available on Steam. For example, games such as Final Fantasy V or even Chip's Challenge are eligible because those games were not previously available on Steam. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.
  • Episodic games are only eligible if their final episode was released in 2015. For example, King's Quest is not eligible, because only the first two episodes released in 2015. However, Tales from the Borderlands is eligible even though it came out in 2014 because it's final episode was released in 2015.
  • Games released on Steam Early Access in 2015 are not eligible. Games releasing out of Early Access are eligible. For example, ARK: Survival Evolved is not eligible, but Nuclear Throne is eligible.
  • DLC is not eligible. Sorry Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms.
  • Multiple votes for the same game on a single ballot will be disqualified. If you list the same game multiple times, the vote with the highest point value will be used and all other votes for that game will be discarded.
  • If you have any questions about a particular game's eligibility, ask in the Steam thread and we should be able to help you.
  • Modbot is not eligible to vote due to the fact that he is a bot.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

If it's okay, I'm cross-posting this from the main ToZ topic as it's very quiet there. This is Steam version related, after all:

Welp, I wonder if we ever get Alisha's Story DLC on Steam. Without it, it's impossible to get all the achievements or access extra content.

A user on Steam Community supposedly received an e-mail from Bandai Namco, this was their answer:

Not sure if this problem ever gets corrected (as soon it has been two months since). People have tried tweeting to @TalesofU, yet they haven't said anything. If anyone on GAF cares, then all kind of help is appreciated. Here is how the store page looks like right now:

I'm sure everyone is grateful that they fixed God Eater DLC for pre-orderers and Alisha's Story DLC's save issues. While graphical/sound/framerate issues can be fixed by talented people (e.g. Durante, Kaldaien, DrDaxxy etc.), they cannot make DLC available for legal reasons.

Even now, ToZ still has a critical bug affected by higher sample rates which causes crashing (and this can be fixed with a patch made by a fan) or by setting sample rate lower than 48 0000 Hz.

Also, for people who aren't into Tales or don't know about the situation, this DLC has been available for PlayStation versions all this time:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pter/cid=EP0700-CUSA02461_00-TOZ000ALISHABNDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom