• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Umh, what do you mean? The map in Witcher 3 is open: is not big as GTAV, but GTAV is a free roaming, open world game, while Witcher 3 is a RPG first, WITH open world (not all rpgs have an open world structure). You can travel in pretty much the whole Novigrad and Velen map from the beginning, there are things to grab, not only herbs and loot (you can retrieve hidden witcher's sets, in example).

Regarding the way you can solve a situation, I agree with you it's not too open, but again I think it's a precise choise by CDPR. After all you role-play as Geralt of Rivia, and why you should act in a way if this is against the Witcher's style? Also I think it's a good thing there are no stealth sections in the game, because the way the game is designed would make stealth just barebone and horrible, in my opinion.

Also Witcher 2 was much, much smaller than W3. It was almost "on rail", you have zero freedom in Witcher 2.
what i mean is, witcha 3 is open world but it's not a sandbox game

you're free to horse to wherever you want but the number of things you can do anywhere are limited. basically all you do in the game is talk to ppl, kill stuff, loot stuff and walk to do any of those things. the stories in the sidequests are great, but your input as a player is always talk, loot, kill.

now something like new vegas is a pretty full-on sandbox game. you can kill ppl whenever you want and you can solve stuff in whichever way you see fit.

i'm personally of the idea that open worlds are only interesting when your toolset corresponds to the scope of the game. something like new vegas has a pretty huge toolset, while something like witcha 3 has a pretty small one in comparison

and i'm someone that really enjoys the believability that comes from heavy enphasis on systems in these types of games. i love gta 4 because they have fully simulated trains and taxis and ferries and crap, i love getting on those and watching the city at work. and i love how quests in new vegas are as systems driven as they are narrative

for the witcher, you're right when you say that maybe giving you a bigger toolset would go against roleplaying as geralt, geralt wouldn't steal or kill random people or whatever. that's fine and i agree, but in that case i just prefer a smaller, more conentrated game like the first two in the series

That's a shallow opinion.
i'm not saying that's me, i didn't buy tits cos i don't like that series all that much, but it's a game that evidently ppl aren't super ready to go $30 on, while everyone got in the witcher or metal gear or whatever and those are even more expensive

it's not just graphics, a very much classic jrpg is not the most popular thing either

also it's a sequel to a game that sold ok, not amazing

that'd be a fuller picture

Hektor

I haven't received any emails or been refunded yet so hopefully this is just server issues at the moment.

I tested with 2 codes right now and they still work.

You seem to be right with that. Now it works again and says they're currently out of stock.
I'll PM in case anything happens.

you gotta grab a notepad and write things down like a real detective

I made a .txt on my desktop.

But yeah, actually feeling compelled enough to write all that down and trying to figure stuff out was the reason i liked it so much.

i'm not saying that's me, i didn't buy tits cos i don't like that series all that much, but it's a game that evidently ppl aren't super ready to go $30 on, while everyone got in the witcher or metal gear or whatever and those are even more expensive

it's not just graphics, a very much classic jrpg is not the most popular thing either

also it's a sequel to a game that sold ok, not amazing

that'd be a fuller picture
It sold over 100k. That's a lot better than OK, for what the game is.

I don't believe people who finished FC and want SC are not buying it because of the price. Most people aren't buying it because they haven't even finished FC. People aren't blindly buying it and throwing it in their backlogs like they do with Neptunia at $30, but that's not a problem.

Ludens

Banned
If it's okay, I'm cross-posting this from the main ToZ topic as it's very quiet there. This is Steam version related, after all:

Welp, I wonder if we ever get Alisha's Story DLC on Steam. Without it, it's impossible to get all the achievements or access extra content.

A user on Steam Community supposedly received an e-mail from Bandai Namco, this was their answer:

Not sure if this problem ever gets corrected (as soon it has been two months since). People have tried tweeting to @TalesofU, yet they haven't said anything. If anyone on GAF cares, then all kind of help is appreciated. Here is how the store page looks like right now:

I'm sure everyone is grateful that they fixed God Eater DLC for pre-orderers and Alisha's Story DLC's save issues. While graphical/sound/framerate issues can be fixed by talented people (e.g. Durante, Kaldaien, DrDaxxy etc.), they cannot make DLC available for legal reasons.

Even now, ToZ still has a critical bug affected by higher sample rates which causes crashing (and this can be fixed with a patch made by a fan) or by setting sample rate lower than 48 0000 Hz.

Also, for people who aren't into Tales or don't know about the situation, this DLC has been available for PlayStation versions all this time:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pter/cid=EP0700-CUSA02461_00-TOZ000ALISHABNDL

I have that DLC from the Namco site (because I planned to buy the game soon or later), but the site is so stupid, I can't find a way to retrieve my key. Who designed this? Is there a workaround to get back all your keys?
I had them in a .txt, but than my Win10 installation got corrupted and I was forced to format and install Win10 again, so I lost everything.

All of these Undertale threads that are for or against its popularity, and all I want to know is if
Undyne
was as fucking hard for everyone else as
she
was for me?

I had no problems playing on the Steam controller until that point. I had to, get this, stand up from my couch, and, worse, actually walk (walk!) to the other room so I could use the keyboard to die a dozen more times before finally not losing.

For reference,
I'm going full pacifist, so I still have 0 exp.

I ended up having to take a breather from the game after that. I've been playing Splatoon since. But I need to beat Undertale and start/finish Ori before the voting ends.

zkylon

zkylewd
It sold over 100k. That's a lot better than OK, for what the game is.

I don't believe people who finished FC and want SC are not buying it because of the price. Most people aren't buying it because they haven't even finished FC. People aren't blindly buying it and throwing it in their backlogs like they do with Neptunia at $30, but that's not a problem.
i just checked steam achievements

10% of the tits1 players beat it, which is roughly the same number as tits2 copies sold according to steamspy. and only 40% of tits1's players got past the prologue so most of the ppl that bought tits didn't even play it. which is probably true for most games, but still, clearly not ppl interested in buying the sequel when they haven't even played the game they already bought

so yeah, you might be right about who already bought it, but clearly a lot of ppl blindly bought and threw tits1 in their backlogs, and sales and price were a big part of that

and i'm not saying they shouldn't charge $30 for it, just saying it's far from impulse buy price

Corpekata

Banned
All of these Undertale threads that are for or against its popularity, and all I want to know is if
Undyne
was as fucking hard for everyone else as
she
was for me?

I had no problems playing on the Steam controller until that point. I had to, get this, stand up from my couch, and, worse, actually walk (walk!) to the other room so I could use the keyboard to die a dozen more times before finally not losing.

For reference,
I'm going full pacifist, so I still have 0 exp.

I ended up having to take a breather from the game after that. I've been playing Splatoon since. But I need to beat Undertale and start/finish Ori before the voting ends.

Undyne actually has a MUCH harder version of her fight in one of the other routes.

i just checked steam achievements

10% of the tits1 players beat it, which is roughly the same number as tits2 copies sold according to steamspy. and only 40% of tits1's players got past the prologue so most of the ppl that bought tits didn't even play it. which is probably true for most games, but still, clearly not ppl interested in buying the sequel when they haven't even played the game they already bought

so yeah, you might be right about who already bought it, but clearly a lot of ppl blindly bought and threw tits1 in their backlogs, and sales and price were a big part of that

and i'm not saying they shouldn't charge $30 for it, just saying it's far from impulse buy price
yep, that's exactly my point. And Steamspy doesn't count PSN and GoG obviously. I think SC is doing fine and will keep selling. Once it goes on sale people will just buy it even if they won't immediately play it.

XSEED also really needs to sell a FC+ SC bundle

ViviOggi

Witcher 3 is the game you should play then.
Play that turn off question marks and boom you have the best openworld game in years with actually good narrative and story.

EDIT: Also please SE port Secret of Mana to steam. I don't care if it is the mobile version, it'll be a day one purchase for me eitherway.
Yeah TW3 is one of those year-long games I'm on right now

the only list ill post this year:

(5 Points) - The Witcher 3
(4 Points) - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(3 Points) - Tales of the Borderlands
(2 Points) - Rocket League
(1 Point) - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Season 1

A slow first act almost put me off to the game. However, once things got rolling it was a fantastic experience. Some of this game's side quests are better than the main quests of other games without a doubt. While I preferred a lot of things in the Witcher 2 over its sequel, there's enough here that is simply terrific that makes this game a hell of a followup. The Witcher 3, my GOTY.

Hektor

We're only allowed to vote for games on Steam? That catched me off guard, guess i'll have to change my list around a bit. Looking at you place #3 SC2:LOTV

I have that DLC from the Namco site (because I planned to buy the game soon or later), but the site is so stupid, I can't find a way to retrieve my key. Who designed this? Is there a workaround to get back all your keys?
I had them in a .txt, but than my Win10 installation got corrupted and I was forced to format and install Win10 again, so I lost everything.
If you mean retrieving the key from Bandai Namco's site or VIP Corner, then I don't think it's possible. All I can see is "Tales of Zestiria - Alisha's Story Additional Chapter [PC Digital]" at:
https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/my-account/my_points

But it doesn't show the key nor is it clickable. I know they e-mailed the key when you requested one, so if you haven't deleted that mail, then it could still be on your e-mail account. Otherwise, you're out of luck and all you can do is wait for Bandai Namco to put it up for $9.99/9,99€... if they ever acknowledge the problem. :/

Corpekata

Banned
It also manages to end on a really high note.

Yeah, well, besides the terrible final boss. Has some good story beats. Needed more of that.

Also needed like more real stuff to do in the middle. Like, why am I building up all these asshole's strongholds? Let me have it get attackled or something and how I upgraded it mattered, not like, oh boy, I donated scrap to uh....? cross a checkmark off the box?

i think witcha 3 was for the most part ok but i'm not a huge fan anyways of that style of open world because it felt really restrictive to me. it isn't a big sandbox like gta or fallout new vegas, it's essentially witcha 2 with longer stretches in between quests. or mass effect without a world map

you can pick up herbs and find hidden loot but this isn't a very complex simulated world with similarly complex ways of interacting with it

you can't stealth your way out of a situation or kill anyone you want or even solve most quests outside of dialogue choices, which are also limited.

you're not allowed to be creative in how you solve quests and so i don't feel like i enjoy it being open world or free or whatever. i prefer a more directed style like in witcha 2 in that case, because this is just not that interesting of a world to explore, at least not mechanically

it's something like a mafia 2 to gta 4 comparison, tho not crap like mafia 2

witcha 3 is really great in a lot of things, but i honestly would've preferred if it was just smaller

I don't even understand this post.

Annubis

Her Story is pretty nice, though I ended up typing random words in the last hour, gonna take a break and go back.

Her Story actually got a shout-out in my local newspaper today.

http://journalmetro.com/culture/900...-pour-the-revenant-the-big-short-banc-public/

journal metro (translated) said:
4. Her Story
Note to those who still thirst for intrigue after devouring the series Making Murderer on Netflix: the game Her Story, available on Steam for less than $ 7, will please you. Kind of experimental interactive movie, the game prompts you to solve a murder committed in 1994, by browsing the interrogation of the deceased's wife videos. You "play" by identifying inconsistencies in what she tells, which gives you avenues to get to the bottom of the story. Very cool, very artistic and full of twists. Popcorn! (Jeff Yates)

Ludens

Banned
If you mean retrieving the key from Bandai Namco's site or VIP Corner, then I don't think it's possible. All I can see is "Tales of Zestiria - Alisha's Story Additional Chapter [PC Digital]" at:
https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/my-account/my_points

But it doesn't show the key nor is it clickable. I know they e-mailed the key when you requested one, so if you haven't deleted that mail, then it could still be on your e-mail account. Otherwise, you're out of luck and all you can do is wait for Bandai Namco to put it up for $9.99/9,99€... if they ever acknowledge the problem. :/

I deleted those mail last year, as soon as I received them and copy/pasted the link on the .txt, I believe.
After that, I lost the .txt :D

1. The Witcher 3
2. Tales from the Borderlands
3. Pillars of Eternity
4. Life is Strange
5. Her Story

I'm glad I haven't seen anyone vote for Arkham Knight yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom