• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the Helldivers release directly by Sony in December and the timeline, it say it's a sure thing. Sony isn't going to start bringing one game to PC and then stop, they'd clearly have a plan for a few more of their indie catalog. And someone that just wanted to make a fake submission would need a hell of a luck to get it leaked just as Sony is publishing a game on PC so it is feasible, and then constantly updating the app over months, and then designing a banner for it to put on the store... I mean, none of this makes sense if the game isn't actually being ported :p

My conspiracy theory is that Sony must have included a clause in the their indie contracts that allow a possibility of a PC version later down the line if they sign a exclusivity deal. Because it's weird seeing PC focused indie developers working exclusively on console. It all makes sense man, it's just a big scheme from Big Indie™ to get us to buy their games twice man!!!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
There is no multi in Syndicate.
Too much forced Jacob tho.
Jacob's a schmuck. His ego's the size of a skyscraper and everything he touches turns to shit.
Just like most Assassin's.

Evie is charming, though. Best character in the series. Right next to Adéwalé.

dex3108

I like new approach from both Sony and MS (especially Sony) because PC owners are in really good position. Both companies are trying to secure exclusivity on their platform but they don;t care if game is on PC.

I like new approach from both Sony and MS (especially Sony) because PC owners are in really good position. Both companies are trying to secure exclusivity on their platform but they don;t care if game is on PC.

Yeah it's great, I hope they continue to not care about PC or consider it a threat. It's really a win/win/win, Sony/MS gets a taste if they publish, the developers get extra sales, and PC gamer's get some dope games.

accel

Saw the deal on Tom Clancy games on Humble Bundle. Reached for my wallet. Then saw that it's for Uplay, not Steam. Damn...

Considering the Helldivers release directly by Sony in December and the timeline, i'd say it's a sure thing. Sony isn't going to start bringing one game to PC and then stop, they'd clearly have a plan for a few more of their indie catalog. And someone that just wanted to make a fake submission would need a hell of a luck to get it leaked just as Sony is publishing a game on PC so it is feasible, and then constantly updating the app over months, and then designing a banner for it to put on the store... I mean, none of this makes sense if the game isn't actually being ported :p

I guess you're right.
March would be ideal, there aren't that many games slated for that month.

i don't lik ediablo games

Well, that's too bad. :/

I like getting console leftovers. They tend to be cheaper and have all the DLC and major bugs fixed.

PC masterlate!

Copons

Voted, yo!

#5 - Prison Architect
#4 - Rocket League
#3 - Contradiction
#2 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
#1 - Cities: Skylines

What a weird year. I played really few 2015 games (also thanks to emulating PS2-era long ass JRPGs), but the one I played, I loved so much and some of them are straight in my GOAT list.

before this escalates, newest story from reddit

http://imgur.com/a/EfHC5

g8ZkK0j.jpg

DzBcu8E.jpg

er2OThV.jpg

accel

Seems people like Uplay, the average got to almost $10...

Uplay might be a fine platform. Same as Origin, same as ten others. My problem with all of them is that I don't want several of these platforms, performing the same things, trying to be the same all-in-one hubs, plugging themselves into the same spots. I only want one of them and I have chosen Steam (and that's not changing for some time).

(The only additional thing I tolerate is Battle.net, and that's only because of long history with Blizzard games...)

milena87

I have yet to decide on my 4th and 5th spot for the GOTY vote. Top 3 is decided and I have The Witcher 3, Pillars and Life is Strage, but I've played and liked more games released this year than usual...

Paint it Back, Cities: Skylines, Contradiction, Her Story, Tales from the Borderlands, Rocket League. And I have a few days to complete SOMA as well... Help.

dex3108

Yeah it's great, I hope they continue to not care about PC or consider it a threat. It's really a win/win/win, Sony/MS gets a taste if they publish, the developers get extra sales, and PC gamer's get some dope games.

Now if only MS would be nice enough to allow Insomniac to publish Sunset Overdrive on PC.

So Valve pushed Mark out because they didn't allow him to work on things he probably wanted XD Booo Valve, booo! XD

Uplay might be a fine platform. Same as Origin, same as ten others. My problem with all of them is that I don't want several of these platforms, performing the same things, trying to be the same all-in-one hubs, plugging themselves into the same spots. I only want one of them and I have chosen Steam (and that's not changing for some time).

(The only additional thing I tolerate is Battle.net, and that's only because of long history with Blizzard games...)

So fine you can't even add friends, I mean you can send friend request, but the user in question never gets them, lol.

You are talking about UPlay? :D I never had issue with friend requests there.

Yes, a friend tried adding me multiple times and I never received the friend requests, I tried adding him and he didn't receive them either.

dex3108

So fine you can't even add friends, I mean you can send friend request, but the user in question never gets them, lol.

You are talking about UPlay? :D I never had issue with friend requests there.

You can always use Raptr that detects .exe files so no matter what platform you are using you can see all games installed on your PC in their app. Also they track your game time no matter what platform you are using.

Copons

I have yet to decide on my 4th and 5th spot for the GOTY vote. Top 3 is decided and I have The Witcher 3, Pillars and Life is Strage, but I've played and liked more games released this year than usual...

Paint it Back, Cities: Skylines, Contradiction, Her Story, Tales from the Borderlands, Rocket League. And I have a few days to complete SOMA as well... Help.

Just do the right thing: lower your top 3 by one position, to allow C:S to be your #1 and add Contradiction as your #5. Easy peasy!

Arthea

I actually have two lists, one is my GOTY list, other is my "I'm sorry GOTY list", of games that had very good chance ending on my GOTY list if I had time or opportunity to play them. I'm sorry GOTY list is as long as GOTY list, *laughs*

dex3108

Yes, a friend tried adding me multiple times and I never received the friend requests, I tried adding him and he didn't receive them either.

If you want you can try to send me request (same nick as here). It is really strange because that was thing i never had an issue on UPlay.

Phinor

I like the top 5 only voting system. It makes it all the more tough to cut down from the list of 10 you created for every other vote.

That being said, damn this list of five. I had to make some hard decisions.

Arthea

I like the top 5 only voting system. It makes it all the more tough to cut down from the list of 10 you created for every other vote.

That being said, damn this list of five. I had to make some hard decisions.

top 5 is good, yeah, hard decisions and all that

Messiah

Since everyone is posting lists:

#5 Life is Strange:
Having only seen snippets of the game and the cringy dialogue I went into it reluctantly only because it got so much praise around these parts. I was not prepared for this emotional rollercoaster.
The game has some outstanding emotional moments, which I did not expect and it manages to handles the subjects it touches upon really well in my opinion. The first and especially the last episode weren't really that satisfying for me and so I can't justify ranking this game higher on my personal list.

#4 Way of the Samurai 4
I picked up this game mostly because of Kurt's praise in this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed my time I spent with it. From the wacky characters over the branching story to the surprisingly deep combat system, the game just managed to get its hooks into me.

#3 Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!!!
This game came out of left field. I was already interested in it after reading through its OT and reading about its complex systems.
When Leafhopper got into the game and started praising it as well I couldn't resist anymore and I am glad I picked it up. Thankfully the game has a really good netcode as well so I could even play decently with people overseas which is sadly necessary due to the low amount of players even in its release timeframe.
I really hope more people will give this game a shot when it is cheaper. Sadly it didn't do well at all.

#2 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Well, this is a divisive choice. A lot of people were really bummed out about this game and while I agree with most of the common complaints I just can not ignore how addicted I was to this game and the amount of fun I had while playing it.
I just loved toying around with enemy soldier, infiltrating camps, watching my buddies do the work for me and even upgrading my Motherbase, fultoning soldiers and research new gadgets.

#1 Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
Probably my favourite fighting game at the moment, period. I love the music, the presentation, the characters and I even enjoy the dumb story kinda.
Already put a lot of time into this game on console and will continue to do so on PC.

Honourable Mentions:
Don't take this as number 6 to 10, these are just some games I enjoyed and want to shout out.

Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds: I don't normally enjoy Beat 'em Ups, but this one is really neat.
Undertale: Great Music, charming characters and a clever use of its mechanics.
Love At First Sight: I like cyclope girls.
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R: Would've probably ranked higher if Xrd didn't arrive this year. It is really worth playing even if you own Xrd though.
Yatagarasu: I love this game. It is really janky in its online aspects and in its UI. When you get it running the Netcode is awesome though. Lots of fun were had with this title.

Just a reminder: SteamGAF GOTY voting is now open.

I've already received and tallied a total of 39 ballots. There is a bit under 2 weeks remaining in which to vote. There were some great games released last year.

I'll try to keep the reminders down to about once daily so that people are generally aware of the voting, but not to disrupt things too much.

Umm... so what's your position on updating ballots from people who have already voted? I know you don't want to be swamped with people who keep re-voting but I realized last night that I made an absolutely daft mistake in the list I sent in because I simply forgot about another eligible game that came out and deserves that spot so much more.

In my defense, I keep a list of all games I completed in every year and I used that to choose my top five. I don't list multiplayer games on it because, obviously, you can't actually complete a multiplayer game. And the game I missed in my vote was Rocket League.

Shadownet

Banned
I was hoping to be surprise to see what the results will be but with all this list posting. It probably won't be.

I wonder if the academy will start leaking people their votes before announcing the winners as well :p

Dascu

Valve's published a write-up and some numbers to the Steamworks developer group regarding the Winter sale.

Not sure if this is all public info, but they generally seem pleased and note increased revenue, wishlist additions and product page views compared to previous sales.

jdw_b

Ugh my AMD account is still on hold for validation, it's been over 24 hours now

What's the latest with the Dirt Rally codes???

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of chronomac, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DiRT Rally -- MB-80F1B72875C28FBC - Taken by bloke. 57 entrants total.

t1452252359z1.png

Valve's published a write-up and some numbers to the Steamworks developer group regarding the Winter sale.

Not sure if this is all public info, but they generally seem pleased and note increased revenue, wishlist additions and product page views compared to previous sales.

Were you satisfied with the Winter Sale? ;)

Ok, that's it.
I'm done with tinkering with widescreen fix for KOTOR, I've wasted too many hours on it. I'll just settle with stretched widescreen and deal with it.

/criesintensively

Arthea

Deques

as far as I know (was told by Russian friends this) you can't buy anything on online Russian stores without Russian IP, address and payment method, meaning not even with VPN.
As for legitimacy, no clue, not even a way to check it, and even if it is, they key will be locked to Russia anyway, so what's the point.

My SteamDB-fu maybe isn't the best, but I can't find a russian specific cd-key in SteamDB. Someone wanna tell me that I am wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom