• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

It's not really that difficult. Watch a movie every saturday, read a book every sunday. Game during the week. No problem. Also everyone that completes that challenge except Mumei cheats in how they count books by doing stuff like reading plays or novellas.
This year i plan on buying a lot of video game history books
My new job seems to tive me enough time to read various ebooks and books in genral

Plus i am gonna start working on a few threads where i recommend various pc games hope i can get it started soon and get most of the pc games i played written up for in the next few months :x

Lomax

I took up the 50 books, 50 movies challenge, so RIP gaming time.

50 movies seems trivial, I don't watch very many movies but I'm sure I still watch 50 a year, that's only one a week. 50 books or games though is much worse because the length is so variable.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Started Arkham Knight on the PC tonight and so far I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by its performance so far. Fluctuates between 45fps - 60fps but a lot of times stays at 60fps. This is with everything set to High but all the Nvidia gameworks stuff turned off, on a GTX 970 Of course it could be better but I was expecting a clusterfuck and it's been much better than that. Really enjoying the game so far too, love the batmobile. Fuck those Riddler trophies though, I can never be arsed with those in any Batman game.

Turfster

G fucking G to me. Just realized I sold (or worse, dropped it off somewhere in a dungeon because it was too heavy) a main quest item in Morrowind.
I did that with Ultima 9, realising it only in the last five fucking minutes of the game.
Unlike Morrowind, I just went "fuck this shit"

Started Arkham Knight on the PC tonight and so far I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by its performance so far. Fluctuates between 45fps - 60fps but a lot of times stays at 60fps. This is with everything set to High but all the Nvidia gameworks stuff turned off, on a GTX 970 Of course it could be better but I was expecting a clusterfuck and it's been much better than that. Really enjoying the game so far too, love the batmobile. Fuck those Riddler trophies though, I can never be arsed with those in any Batman game.

I love the batmobile as well, don't understand the hate, really.
The game is surprisingly sitting on my goty list as well. I'd highly recommend it for those who are still waiting.

You do need a save. Lost in Nightmares unlocks after you beat Chapter 2-3, and Desperate Escape unlocks after you beat Chapter 5-3.
I guess I'll go hunting for one, then.

The inventory you have in the dlc isn't related to the main game, right? I'm just trying to set my expectations before redownloading all of re5 again

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I guess I'll go hunting for one, then.

The inventory you have in the dlc isn't related to the main game, right? I'm just trying to set my expectations before redownloading all of re5 again

No, it does not, both have a separate inventory. In both you start off with a single gun, and other guns are collected in the levels.

Another thing for both DLC chapters, they both have randomized elements, various features of the DLC is randomized (which is actually kind of neat).

DLC chapters are my personal favorite part of RE5. Best of course if you have a co-op partner. In Lost in Nightmares, there's an Easter Egg to play the first area with fixed camera angles, but I suggest just do the RE5 style the first time.

Read 50 issues of an American comic book.

Watch 50 short films.

Get back to playing video games :3.
I don't read comic books :/

It's not really that difficult. Watch a movie every saturday, read a book every sunday. Game during the week. No problem. Also everyone that completes that challenge except Mumei cheats in how they count books by doing stuff like reading plays or novellas.
50 movies seems trivial, I don't watch very many movies but I'm sure I still watch 50 a year, that's only one a week. 50 books or games though is much worse because the length is so variable.
I might start focusing on shorter books first, but I don't want to do the 500 pages split thing, that's cheap.
Have 50 movies playing on your second monitor while you play games, then just read the books while you poop. EASY.
No!

50 books is like 2 months of reading, and 50 movies is what, 20 nights?
That's 9 more months of gaming.
I wish I share your confidence.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I love the batmobile as well, don't understand the hate, really.
The game is surprisingly sitting on my goty list as well. I'd highly recommend it for those who are still waiting.

Yeah I haven't got bored with it yet :) I'm going to guess the game dumps a load of drones towards you at the end, just seems like something that's very likely to happen!

dave is ok

aztek is ok

I can't buy it because at this point I feel dumb paying full price for game that's 7 mos. old

iosefe

Speaking of Asimov...

i need an FMV Game based on the Robot novels, featuring Elijah Baily. at the very least, a point and click. a lot of compelling story there

cicero

For those interested in Dungeon Souls, on GMG it is now as cheap as it was on Steam during the sale ($4.99, 50% off), but GMG also has an added 20% off voucher code you can apply: NWYEAR-20PERC-WTHGMG

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I can't buy it because at this point I feel dumb paying full price for game that's 7 mos. old

Oh goodness no, I wouldn't reward Warner Bros with any money for the PC version until it was dirt cheap. Got mine with my 970 thankfully and I refuse to give them anymore money for this game specifically so didn't buy the PS4 version or anything.

No, it does not, both have a separate inventory. In both you start off with a single gun, and other guns are collected in the levels.

Another thing for both DLC chapters, they both have randomized elements, various features of the DLC is randomized (which is actually kind of neat).

DLC chapters are my personal favorite part of RE5. Best of course if you have a co-op partner. In Lost in Nightmares, there's an Easter Egg to play the first area with fixed camera angles, but I suggest just do the RE5 style the first time.
Okay, that's all I needed to know. Thanks for the info and the impressions!

This War of Mine is a really cheery game isn't it?

Bruno isn't doing well and lays on the bed all day. It's making everyone sad. Cheer up, Bruno.
798FC7E202FF43806EFF15F1898CBEBBAB73DD4B
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=585754773

DukeBobby

I've been playing Dex for the last few days, and it's actually pretty decent. Not amazing or anything, but a fairly solid 7/10 experience.

The combat isn't great and the hacking minigame outstays its welcome fairly early on, but it's got a lovely aesthetic, a good soundtrack, and there's plenty of quests to sink your teeth into, many of which have more than one outcome.

I think I'm near the end now and I might do a LTTP thread once I've finished.

If you've already played Deus Ex and Shadowrun and looking for a game to scratch that cyberpunk inch, you could do a lot worse than Dex.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

There's a 50 book and 50 movie challenge too? Damn. I could easily do 50 movies, but I probably only get about 15 books a year in. Maybe I'll just challenge myself to writing down all the movies I watch. I've found it to be really interesting to go back and re-read which games I've beat after starting the 52 games a year challenge a few years ago...

Milamber

50 children's books, 50 kids movies. Done. Now get back to groaning over your gaming backlog.

Speaking of Asimov...

i need an FMV Game based on the Robot novels, featuring Elijah Baily. at the very least, a point and click. a lot of compelling story there

Only if I can keep making him go outside and making him faint.

Lomax

I don't read comic books :/

I might start focusing on shorter books first, but I don't want to do the 500 pages split thing, that's cheap.
No!

I wish I share your confidence.

I'd think the book challenge should be something like 10-15k pages, then you could choose to read a bunch of smaller books or just like, the wheel of time series. I can't really think of an equivalent with games though. I failed to get to 52 games last year, but if I counted each individual episode of games like Life is Strange, then I completed it. But on the other hand, I had at least 10 short games like Emily is Away that I padded out with, and I know some people think games that short shouldn't count.

I'd think the book challenge should be something like 10-15k pages, then you could choose to read a bunch of smaller books or just like, the wheel of time series. I can't really think of an equivalent with games though. I failed to get to 52 games last year, but if I counted each individual episode of games like Life is Strange, then I completed it. But on the other hand, I had at least 10 short games like Emily is Away that I padded out with, and I know some people think games that short shouldn't count.
I feel taking the game challenge would potentially damage my enjoyment of games, schedule pressure says move forward, awesome RPG says keep playing, what do? I mean Witcher 3's Blood and Wine is coming out this year, does that count as a game?

oipic

I feel taking the game challenge would potentially damage my enjoyment of games, schedule pressure says move forward, awesome RPG says keep playing, what do? I mean Witcher 3's Blood and Wine is coming out this year, does that count as a game?

Yeah, I feel the same way - I'd probably be more inclined to aim for, say, 500 hours of gaming (or book reading, for that matter) in a year, rather than a total number of games.

I'm notoriously slow at playing through games, too (leaning on the completionist side of things, I guess), so I'd probably have to resist that natural urge as well.

Yeah, I feel the same way - I'd probably be more inclined to aim for, say, 500 hours of gaming (or book reading, for that matter) in a year, rather than a total number of games.

I'm notoriously slow at playing through games, too (leaning on the completionist side of things, I guess), so I'd probably have to resist that natural urge as well.

Agreed.
I will NEVER reach those xx games in a year challenge. But when we're talking about xx hours in a year challenge, count me in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's a 50 book and 50 movie challenge too? Damn. I could easily do 50 movies, but I probably only get about 15 books a year in. Maybe I'll just challenge myself to writing down all the movies I watch. I've found it to be really interesting to go back and re-read which games I've beat after starting the 52 games a year challenge a few years ago...

Here's the thread for this year's GAF 50 Books, 50 Movies challenge.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162008

It's really active and it's a very positive, encouraging community (not much drama from bookworms).

Lain

Best way to celebrate a new Steam thread: put shit in it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cave Coaster -- MB-655D2310EF53670B - Taken by fuzzy123
12 Labours of Hercules II: The Cretan Bull -- MB-195E01795871D3E6 - Taken by Belgarion
12 Labours of Hercules -- MB-89E8E39BC03E37B3
12 Labours of Hercules III: Girl Power -- MB-ABB3A5965B31EA76 - Taken by anastef

Lomax

Well, since the rules are really flexible, there's not that kind of pressure. For me, I liked doing it because it encouraged me to try some different games because I heard they were short, and some ended up being really fun. It also encouraged me to stick with some games and get them finished rather than dropping them. Of course I got wrapped up in World of Warcraft and that killed any chance I had of getting the last 10 games finished off.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Here's the thread for this year's GAF 50 Books, 50 Movies challenge.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162008

It's really active and it's a very positive, encouraging community (not much drama from bookworms).

Thanks Stump, I signed up! Should be an interesting year. I doubt very much I'll get 50 books in, but who knows. It will be fun to track regardless. I mostly listen to audiobooks during my commute, so about 35-45 minutes a day, 5 days a week tops. Usually squeeze in about 1 a month, but also end up reading 3-4 books throughout the year as well so we'll see.

I don't plan on changing my gaming habits to finish it though. Gotta have priorities!

Green Man Gaming Charts:

1. HuniePop
2. Fallout 4
3. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (MAC)
4. XCOM 2: Digital Deluxe
5. Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide
6. Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster
7. Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen
8. Rocket League
9. Star Wars Battlefront
10. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate

NgGiows.gif

donny2112

Welcome back, MRORANGE!

Looking forward to RotTR coming out! Will be waiting for a sale (most likely), but this month should at least answer the question of if I'm gonna have to upgrade to be able to play it (or buy a console version)!

Started playing JUJU today, its basically a easier version of Donkey Kong Country Returns, im liking it because of that because sometimes playing a easy game can be very relaxing , also that helps when trying to play it coop with someone that doesnt play games too often so thats good too.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, GMG has the Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories DLC bundle for $4.49. Use code NWYEAR-20PERC-WTHGMG to get another 20% off, bringing it down to $3.60 for me.

It's the lowest price I've seen this DLC.

Finally, a price I can open my wallet for this DLC.

Apparently, there's a trick to play refunded steam games (offline), just found it on reddit. A new kind of piracy?
I hope valve can find a way to overcome that, it's a hole on the refund system.

It's not really much of a trick, and why would anyone do that instead of just pirating it altogether boggles my mind lol.

This is why we can't have nice things. I'm not advocating piracy but seriously if people are just going to do that, I'd rather they do just pirate it than abuse the refund system. It gives Valve a reason to potentially take away refunds down the road which sucks for when there are legitimate cases to get a refund.

But people will always abuse a system if there is a way I guess.

Lomax

This is why we can't have nice things. I'm not advocating piracy but seriously if people are just going to do that, I'd rather they do just pirate it than abuse the refund system. It gives Valve a reason to potentially take away refunds down the road which sucks for when there are legitimate cases to get a refund.

But people will always abuse a system if there is a way I guess.

Honestly, people mentioned this as a loophole from the very beginning, and it's just not that big of a deal. It would only work until the next time they went online, which basically means you could only do it once. There's always ways to abuse systems like this but they are a trivial amount of the whole.

Milamber

I used to be able to polish off a full blown hard cover novel within 2 days back in college, now it takes me around a month of free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom