• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a world where people are excited by Telltale Batman I have to question whether they care for choice in their games.

I dont think people come to telltale games for their gameplay. I know that i personally just come to it for the interactive narrative stuff and if it happens to take my choices into account then im pleasantly surprised.

I guess my standards for them are kinda low, though i still think Tales from the Borderlands is a fantastic product even for it being a TT game.

Witcher 3 needs good movement, ui, inventory, crafting and skills before it gets to be GOTY
The movement is okay though roach was kind of a pain in narrow spaces, the only thing i found cumbersome regarding the game's UI was not having the map assigned to a controller button forcing me to go into the menu every time, inventory was fine, crafting was an interesting system even if I never really dug into it, and I'll grant you i think the skill system is actually a step down from TW2. Mind you, i played TW3 about a month ago so maybe i was lucky in that a lot of that stuff was patched to be better than it was at launch.

No game is perfect, and that shouldn't be a requirement for a game to be the best of the year. The highs in TW3 are so much higher than a great many games this year and it's the rare game that keeps getting better and better the more you play, unlike some other GOTY contenders coughMGSVcough

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
the only thing i found cumbersome regarding the game's UI was not having the map assigned to a controller button forcing me to go into the menu every time
Hold Start (if your using a Xbox controller).

(1 Point) - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Season 1

I totally forgot that D4 released this year on PC. Going to have to replace Downwell at the #5 spot on my list.

My GOTY top 5 is

1. Undertale
2. Life is Strange
3. Ori and the Blind Forest
4. Rocket League
5. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Still have a bunch of games from last year to get to as I'm waiting for Blood and Wine to release before getting into The Witcher 3, the last part of The White March before finishing Pillars of Eternity, and an planning on beating Peace Walker and Ground Zeros before playing MGSV. I've also been meaning to finally get play Invisible Inc. after only having tried it right when it got into early access, Axiom Verge and Tales from the Borderlands.

MGSV needs to be a finished product before it gets to be GOTY.

I mean, the actual game part of it is amazing but after a certain point it felt like I was playing a technical demo as opposed to an actual finished game. It was a weird moment and kind of off-putting when that feeling hit.

Preach it.

inm8num2

Mystery bundles from GMG

TeHeZlr.png

I think I own it? Didn't play the game but you were supposed to go to bamco's eu website and get the code in there for like a month after launch. I believe it was supposed to be paid DLC afterwards.
Yes, all what you said is true. It was available for free on Bandai Namco's VIP Corner for a month since the game launched on Steam. This is what was called the free period.
After the free period ended, it became available November 19 for $9.99 on Steam as evidenced by SteamDB:

However, the DLC had a clear game save bug/glitch since its launch. On November 23 , it mysteriously became unpurchasable (as seen above). Either Bandai Namco themselves pulled it in order to prevent flood of negative reviews or people used the store page's report function and reported it. The save bug/glitch was fixed on December 4. The DLC hasn't been available on the store since November 23. Hence, its current status still being N/A as in not available (as seen in your screenshot, as well).

People who want it are out of luck, and by January 24, it will be two months since it was last seen. It has been available on PlayStation Store all this time:

Jawmuncher

MGSV is a finished game, the problem is that Kojima and co didn't cut the fat from it. Extreme Ops should have been their own section, there shouldn't have been as many side ops, there should have been no chapters, and the The Truth should have been a shorter version of the original opening mission.

INB4 mission 51, since shit is cut from all sorts of games.

Started Ori last night, just beautiful, its like a Gibbli film. One thing I find annoying is that when you kill something it explodes and random shots fire out and they hit you and you die :( woe is me. I am sure there is some strategy to not get hit by these "bullets"

GaussTek

Yes, all what you said is true. It was available for free on Bandai Namco's VIP Corner for a month since the game launched on Steam. This is what was called the free period.
After the free period ended, it became available November 19 for $9.99 on Steam as evidenced by SteamDB:

However, the DLC had a clear game save bug/glitch since its launch. On November 23 , it mysteriously became unpurchasable (as seen above). Either Bandai Namco themselves pulled it in order to prevent flood of negative reviews or people used the store page's report function and reported it. The save bug/glitch was fixed on December 4. The DLC hasn't been available on the store since November 23. Hence, its current status still being N/A as in not available (as seen in your screenshot, as well).

People who want it are out of luck, and by January 24, it will be two months since it was last seen. It has been available on PlayStation Store all this time:

Sounds like a pretty simple thing to fix, yet Namco keeps missing it lol :/ Some dev seriously need to take a look at the message boards.

I'm glad that I got it from Namco's site for free, but hope they make it available for others soon.

MGSV is a finished game, the problem is that Kojima and co didn't cut the fat from it. Extreme Ops should have been their own section, there shouldn't have been as many side ops, there should have been no chapters, and the The Truth should have been a shorter version of the original opening mission.

At the very least, they could've structured Chapter 2 differently and at at least made Chapter 51 into a cutscene if they couldn't finish it as a gameplay segment.

It's a weird situation because while we should grade MGSV as it stands it's hard not to see the dark hands of Konami meddling with its production to get it (and kojima) out the door.

It's my number 2 game of the year even with all the bullshit because those first 40 hours or so contain some of the best gaming moments i've had since Demon's Souls launched. It was the rare game that I just wanted to get home, buy a pizza, and play it for hours on end and forgetting to even eat the pizza and going to the bathroom only when it seems i was going to burst. Hadn't that that feeling in ages.

That said, TW3 was the opposite experience, where act one almost lost me and it wasn't till i push onward that the game kept climbing higher and higher on my list till i was almost annoyed that I had accidentally finished the game because that meant I was done with it.

I totally forgot that D4 released this year on PC. Going to have to replace Downwell at the #5 spot on my list.

that's two (2) points for D4! It's still got a shot!

Is there a way to get better IQ out of Killing Floor 2 outside of downsampling? I want to stay at high framerates and I'm playing at 1440P with Nvidia gibs and such so that's an expensive option.
Just seems really jaggy.

pahamrick

The extreme ops portion is really what made it start feeling like a technical demo, but there were also some missions from chapter 1 that felt like they were supposed to be side-ops as opposed to main missions.

The different extreme ops missions were also annoying in that there were other missions I would have liked having some of those options available. They should have simply made it a toggle option for the missions for replays so you could enable which extreme style you wanted instead of only picking a select few and having them make up 85% of chapter 2.

Haven't played a lot of games released this year and most of the ones I did play were huge time sponges, but here´s my list:

The Witcher 3
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Resident Evil Remake HD
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Metal Gear Solid V

If this weren't steam only I'd have Yakuza 5 instead of MGSV.

Usually I manage to play most games I'd consider for my list but this time it wasn't even close. Lack of funds + the fact that the ones I did play are fucking huge.
TW3 took me 3 months and I only just finished Tits.
Wont be done with Yakuza 5 for another couple of months.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've received and tallied votes from the following 65 people:

Dsyndrome, The Dear Leader, Henry Swanson, Dio Brando, Stallion Free, Corpekata, Monooboe, ricochetguro, Lain, Kurt Russell, Raxanas, Jawmuncher, AHA-Lambda, dirtywhirlwind, Baron von Loathsome, pahamrick, Tektonic, Turfster, Anteater, spindoctor, texhnolyze, Uraizen, tuxfool, Smash88, TetraxShards, MMBosstones86, Sch1sm, Shantom, Khronico, Stumpokapow, jshackles, Locust, SilentMatthew, Vlad, septicore, Nete, Stronghammer22, yuraya, KingKong, Shadownet, Knurek, Se7enSword, Leafhopper, Iron Badger, Jadax, def ault, Wok, Copons, Maxwood, Messiah, Phinor, cyba89, Large Professor, The_Super_Inframan, ussjtrunks, ctw0e, Haunted, Tizoc, shortsFortallPeople, Dragon1893, Hektor, Atraveller, Chairmanchuck, the_firewithin, fantomena

If your name is on this list, your vote has been counted. There is such a diverse list of games represented so far - there were some amazing games released in 2015. Thanks to everyone who's already voted and if you haven't yet, you should.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
edited: getting back to Mordor, it's really strange that there are no region specific apps. Where is Jasec when you need him?

Region-specific store subs aren't really necessary these days. Acti and Ubi are about the only publishers that still use them regularly.

yuraya

I agree. People who complain about MGSV being incomplete don't know what they are talking about. They are basically complaining about a gigantic pizza having 199 slices instead of 200. Its silly.

neoemonk

For those that have finished Trails in the Sky, does your save game import into SC?

I ask because I have the first on PSP (Vita really) but going forward I'd like to play on PC. I'm not interested in repurchasing it.

okay, im starting to understand the love for Max Payne 3.

It's not the Max Payne 3 i wanted but i can respect it as a solid TPS that does some real interesting stuff. Watching a body take bullets and react to them in a way that no other game has really depicted it makes you really want to see all the various possible reactions to you gunning fools down.

the story has had almost zero ties to the old games so far outside of MAH FAMILY IS DEAD (max better fucking mention mona sax one time in this thing dammit) and while i think the writing style doesn't really mesh with the previous two games I've grown to like it more as it seems to be less terrible as the game goes on.

Ill stick with this thing, it seems well made enough and i no longer find myself disliking it for not feeling like a remedy game anymore. Even if it lacks Address Unknown and Dick Justice.

I've received and tallied votes from the following 65 people:

If your name is on this list, your vote has been counted. There is such a diverse list of games represented so far - there were some amazing games released in 2015. Thanks to everyone who's already voted and if you haven't yet, you should.
Should we do a PSA thread in gaming side? Would ballot counting work become too demanding?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Tomb Raider I -- MB-B20B4517E909A7C8 - Taken by Vuze
t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-BFED7C94CCC4DFD1 - Taken by salazar547
Tomb Raider II -- MB-DA79421502991583 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Tomb Raider III -- MB-925AC2DC40595C76 - Taken by UnderWaterTree

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Should we do a PSA thread in gaming side? Would ballot counting work become too demanding?

I thought about doing that, considering last year there were a lot of people who saw the results thread in gaming side saying "I don't remember seeing the voting thread for this". But the counterpoint is that we want the poll to be indicative of what our community thinks, not necessarily what GAF at large thinks. We like to joke about Call of Duty winning, we don't want it to actually happen.

I agree. People who complain about MGSV being incomplete don't know what they are talking about. They are basically complaining about a gigantic pizza having 199 slices instead of 200. Its silly.

And if 70 of those slices you see again after you swear you've seen them before.

.....If I paid for a pizza and it wasn't a complete pizza, I'd be pissed. That pizza would also not be POTY.

Eila

For those that have finished Trails in the Sky, does your save game import into SC?

I ask because I have the first on PSP (Vita really) but going forward I'd like to play on PC. I'm not interested in repurchasing it.

Yes, but it's not terribly important. I just recommend downloading someone else's 100% save.

So where do we send our hate mail?

dex3108

Valve can't even handle staff departure right. I really wonder how that company even manages function. I just wonder how long it will be until people really, really start to hate them for lack of communication.

I thought about doing that, considering last year there were a lot of people who saw the results thread in gaming side saying "I don't remember seeing the voting thread for this". But the counterpoint is that we want the poll to be indicative of what our community thinks, not necessarily what GAF at large thinks. We like to joke about Call of Duty winning, we don't want it to actually happen.

here's a thought: I'm not sure how doable this is but could a Lurker rule be implement like what some modbot giveaways do for future voting?

And if 70 of those slices you see again after you swear you've seen them before.

.....If I paid for a pizza and it wasn't a complete pizza, I'd be pissed. That pizza would also not be POTY.

i got 80 hours out of an incomplete game. It's a hell of a pizza pie in that is both filling yet lacking

pahamrick

There's nothing wrong with someone complaining about a personal opinion, though. It's no sillier than other people such and such game sucks and doesn't deserve an award.

Even if we pretend the end product was the same as it was originally envisioned, it still feels padded with fillers and extremely barebone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*Launches Watch Dogs, game gets stuck in the loading screen after pressing new game, checks google and apparantly its known issue for over a year now

oh Ubisoft you so craycray

My GOTY list was fake btw.

This is my real one:

(5 Points) - SOMA
(4 Points) - Project Cars
(3 Points) - Neptunia 2
(2 Points) - Witcher 3
(1 Point) - Akibas Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom