• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if we should contact a mod so he can contact someone else to check if it's all ok, but I don't wanna inave his privary, but the message on Twitter is worrying.
He was on Steam at most couple days ago, IIRC. At least he was online. I was adjusting my notification stuff and he was on at the time.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm wondering if we should contact a mod so he can contact someone else to check if it's all ok, but I don't wanna inave his privary, but the message on Twitter is worrying.
damn just read this

that does make you worry

maybe contact angry joe since he works with iashy (at least last time i heard)?

I'm thinking of starting Pillars of Eternity today.

Considering I haven't played D&D since the 3.5 era, and the D&D based videogames since the 90s, and anyway I have zero recollection of the AD&D ruleset, how bad it's gonna be for me?

I heard it relies a lot on proper builds and min-maxing: do you have any suggestion on a class that's both powerful and easy to use?
i didn't do proper builds or min-maxing and only had trouble in a few fights in normal diff, so you should be ok

i played as a cipher and it's pretty easy. fighter and paladin and ranger are also easy

i'd suggest staying away from chanters, druids, mages and clerics since they require a lot of microing

haven't tried berserker, rogue or monk but i bet those are fairly simple too

if you're scared you can also set the ai to do some of the work for you and it's fairly competent at it, so yea don't worry about it too much

edit: also it's not based on d&d and it's a lot simpler and works a lot better as a videogame imo

Copons

He was on Steam at most couple days ago, IIRC. At least he was online. I was adjusting my notification stuff and he was on at the time.

According to the Steam chat, he was online 1 day ago, that magical time span between 24 and 47 hours I guess.

i didn't do proper builds or min-maxing and only had trouble in a few fights in normal diff, so you should be ok

i played as a cipher and it's pretty easy. fighter and paladin and ranger are also easy

i'd suggest staying away from chanters, mages and clerics since they require a lot of microing

haven't tried berserker, rogue or monk but i bet those are fairly simple too

Ah thanks, reading around people always talking about the need of the perfect build got me worried.

EDIT:

edit: also it's not based on d&d and it's a lot simpler and works a lot better as a videogame imo

Oh, this is a hugely great news indeed!

Tizoc

a spider donut

was full of spiders

0/10

would not eat again

also is it weird that i have zero interest in learning anything about the
genocide route
? i can't bring myself to watch that crap on youtube

Did you get the Neutral route? How'd you manage to deal with that...thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah thanks, reading around people always talking about the need of the perfect build got me worried.

EDIT:

Oh, this is a hugely great news indeed!
don't get me wrong, it's still one of those games, but it's probably the most accessible those games have ever been and i mean this in a good way. think dragon age 1 rather than baldur's gate, they streamlined a lot and didn't lose anything, it's awesome.

i'm not someone that enjoys rtwp microing at all and i had a lot of fun with it, there's only one boss i couldn't beat with my setup and it's optional and also the most difficult and bullshit fight in the game.

so yea don't worry about it much

Did you get the Neutral route? How'd you manage to deal with that...thing.
i beat it once and then beat it again with the happy ending

what do you mean how did i deal with that thing? what thing?

btw many thanks to hektor for gifting me undertale, i'm so freaking glad someone forcibly put this game in my hands haha

Tizoc

don't get me wrong, it's still one of those games, but it's probably the most accessible those games have ever been and i mean this in a good way. think dragon age 1 rather than baldur's gate, they streamlined a lot and didn't lose anything, it's awesome.

i'm not someone that enjoys rtwp microing at all and i had a lot of fun with it, there's only one boss i couldn't beat with my setup and it's optional and also the most difficult and bullshit fight in the game.

so yea don't worry about it much

i beat it once and then beat it again with the happy ending

what do you mean how did i deal with that thing? what thing?

btw many thanks to hektor for gifting me undertale, i'm so freaking glad someone forcibly put this game in my hands haha

Flowey's nightmare god form, that thing STILL gives me the creeps

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of neonglow, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Titan Quest -- MB-6D4D62E8FB2BDABE - Taken by Loptous. 5 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-D7232347A92471CB - Taken by jdw_b. 5 entrants total.

t1452331607z1.png

I'm thinking of starting Pillars of Eternity today.

Considering I haven't played D&D since the 3.5 era, and the D&D based videogames since the 90s, and anyway I have zero recollection of the AD&D ruleset, how bad it's gonna be for me?

I heard it relies a lot on proper builds and min-maxing: do you have any suggestion on a class that's both powerful and easy to use?
Wizard is pretty versatile, though you get a wizard companion very early, his attributes aren't exactly the best.

zkylon

zkylewd
Flowey's nightmare god form, that thing STILL gives me the creeps
yeah it's pretty disturbing, but for me it was also kind of funny so i was fine with it lol

also after pillars this is the second game that's made me sympathetic to spiders this year

wtf is going on

AngryJoe does have a account here, so that's an option.
if anyone knows joe's username maybe just pm him?

let's figure out if he's ok first, we can worry about invading his privacy later

Wizard is pretty versatile, though you get a wizard companion very early, his attributes aren't exactly the best.
mages are also a lot of work tho

that's what i never like about these games, there's so many damn spells i always end up using the simpler ones

i get it that's me being a massive dumbo but i still wish there were a bit simpler

Corpekata

Banned
Pillars has a respec option these days anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about builds. Though I don't think that statement really holds up too much in the first place, save for on the harder modes.

So, after that white flag from certain pirating group over Just Cause 3 protection, is it a lock at this point that Square Enix will use Denuvo again for RotTR?
I think they should.

MUnited83

For you.
So, after that white flag from certain pirating group over Just Cause 3 protection, is it a lock at this point that Square Enix will use Denuvo again for RotTR?
I think they should.

I assume that every single upcoming major release from Warner Bros and Square Enix will use it.

dex3108

I think they should.

My main issue is will it work on Windows 15? If Denuvo is future proof and we can play games 10-15 years after release then it is ok.

I assume that every single upcoming major release from Warner Bros and Square Enix will use it.

Yeah that's what I'm guessing as well.

My main issue is will it work on Windows 15? If Denuvo is future proof and we can play games 10-15 years after release then it is ok.

KOTOR 1 is still a headache to play, even without Denuvo. Compatibility is ultimately Windows' issue, not DRM.
Moreover, Denuvo is actually not a DRM, it's just an anti temper technology.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Damn, Tomb Raider Anniversary gave me motion sickness. Most of it just hit me while trying a maze and fighting the camera, but I'm sure the FOV has something to do with it as well.

Lomax

What a shame that Dragon's Dogma releases at the same time as Diablo 3's new season start.

I find it likely that most people who still care enough about Diablo to care when the new season starts don't even know Dragon's Dogma exists, much less that it is releasing on PC.

I think they should.

That whole thing reeks of FUD to me. "Your DRM is so good we'll quit trying" is not something any cracking group is going to ever say seriously.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Damn, Tomb Raider Anniversary gave me motion sickness. Most of it just hit me while trying a maze and fighting the camera, but I'm sure the FOV has something to do with it as well.
:(
That's too bad. Anniversary is pretty great.
The camera can be a real pain, though.

If it's possible, try turning off motion blur? See if that helps a bit.

dex3108

KOTOR 1 is still a headache to play, even without Denuvo. Compatibility is ultimately Windows' issue, not DRM.

I know it is anti-tamper :D But there is always a concern that it won't work because of it in the future.

MUnited83

For you.
I find it likely that most people who still care enough about Diablo to care when the new season starts don't even know Dragon's Dogma exists, much less that it is releasing on PC.

That whole thing reeks of FUD to me. "Your DRM is so good we'll quit trying" is not something any cracking group is going to ever say seriously.

I mean, literally all the cracking groups already gave up on it, which is why 3DM is the only group that does releases of games with Denuvo. Everybody else already gave up because at the moment it simply isn't crackable. (what 3DM does is basically a emulation of Denuvo. Other groups have pretty well defined objective to actually remove all the DRM in a game so they don't bother doing the same)
Yeah that's what I'm guessing as well.

I mean, I guess it depends on the wording, but it is very much DRM no matter how much people like to tout it as anti-tamper.
It actively prevents modding to an extent ( the mods that use modified exes), and it will prevent to an extent as well someone doing a compability patch for Windows 20, since so many modern system fixes rely on hacked up exes.

But they're basically the only one who managed to break through the protection. And their work is not perfect on top of that.

I know it is anti-tamper :D But there is always a concern that it won't work because of it in the future.

I can't think of a reason why it will render games unplayable. If anything, it'll be the OS first.

Knurek

Well, look how long it took to break CPS-2 encryption. 14 years!
And that was done on a 1993 arcade hardware, think how much more complicated things made nowadays are.
Compare Nintendo handhelds. GBA was broken before it was released, NDS two years after release, 3DS just recently. We're losing the battle with encryption/DRM.

MUnited83

For you.
But they're basically the only one who managed to break through the protection. And their work is not perfect on top of that.

I can't think of a reason why it will render games unplayable. If anything, it'll be the OS first.

Since Denuvo can be bundled with a whole lot of other drms, all it has to happen is that other DRM giving in a way, and then bum, it's unplayable and can't be fixed because of denuvo

Yeah, I guess you're right guys.

Of course it would be ideal if every devs/pubs brave/bold enough like CDPR and release all their games on gog, but I also understand their positions and concerns regarding piracy.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
:(
That's too bad. Anniversary is pretty great.
The camera can be a real pain, though.

If it's possible, try turning off motion blur? See if that helps a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion, but alas turning it off only kept it from affecting me as quickly this time around. I guess Tomb Raider as it was pre-reboot and Guardians is just off limits to me.

Can we get a ship dating Simulator next please?

Just sent an email to Kadokawa Games asking for Kantai Collection to be put on Steam.

fantomena

For people who wonder, Dragons Dogmas full file size is 20 GB.

dat beautiful exclusive artbook tho

Which I will run through in 5 min and delete from my hard drive.

That's what have happened to every digital art book I received when I pre-ordered games before. There's mist likely some games that I received art book for which I still haven't checked out yet.

I'd say the same if I got all my games for free

I wish I got all games for free, would have spared so much money. :(

Which I will run through in 5 min and delete from my hard drive.

That's what have happened to every digital art book I received when I pre-ordered games before.
Be grateful, I applaud developers like CDPR giving out the full artbook, not just promo pamphlets you find in modern AAA collector edition games.

fantomena

Be grateful, I applaud developers like CDPR giving out the full artbook, not just promo pamphlets you find in modern AAA collector edition games.

If I don't have any interest in art books, maps etc, then I won't care.

I bought a shitload of collector's editions before too. But I never cared about the statues, maps, art books etc. that came with it. So it was a waste of money and space and I stopped buying them.

Only CE Ive actually found interest in is Dark Souls and Alan Wake.

Messiah

Reminder that its the last day to purchase Xrd and receive all DLC.
Characters will need to be unlocked ingame after this period and the additional colour palettes and system voices will be paid DLC.

zkylon

zkylewd
had fun with wolfestein so far, i enjoy the semi-open ended levels and the secrets and the story seems pretty entertaining so far in a gritty pulp kind of way, with sin city like narration or something. not a fan when it turns kind of exploitative with the torture scene or the random sex scene but eh, i guess pulp stories are kind of gross

anyways, off to bed, hope there's good news about iashy when i wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom