• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
Just started Mad Max, does the game has a plot or it is literally going arond collecting junk to build your car?
This seems much worse than Mordor.

GRaider81

Man I've spent about 8 hours now in the town trying to solve this murder plus other quests in Divinity OS.

Crazy how used to hand holding you get with modern games. Actually having to read and investigate yourself is a lovely breath of fresh air.

Knurek

Once people mod Final Fantasy IX with Waifu2x enhanced backgrounds it definitely will be the definite edition of the game:

dkyjwc.png

eyYjGZX.gif

Just started Mad Max, does the game has a plot or it is literally going arond collecting junk to build your car?
Before I dropped the game, all I've seen are doing errands for stronghold bosses to upgrade the stronghold, and driving to new strongholds to meet new bosses and acquire new errands and chores, on and on and on.

zkylon

zkylewd
Play the acclaimed RPG Masterpiece of all time Granado Espada.

they took the perfect screenshot of what it feels to play a female character in a mmo lol

(yea i said i was going to bed but couldn't sleep... damn you iashman)

Ludens

Banned
Before I dropped the game, all I've seen are doing errands for stronghold bosses to upgrade the stronghold, and driving to new strongholds to meet new bosses and acquire new errands and chores, on and on and on.

If I only proceed with main missions, is it ok?
I mean, in order to grab power-up you need to do challenges and achieve coins, otherwise you can't even counter-attack a random dude using a crowbar.

zkylon

zkylewd
gamergaters are sometimes really good at making their points too, even if you can often find debunks of their arguments showing how they selectively took quotes in the way that was more convenient for them

but hey if you're not convinced by the end of the video

damn you tim schafer, you evil scam artist!

there's literally a link in the comments to a video called "tim schafer makes a racist joke" (he doesn't) that also has another link to a blogpost that takes like 8 paragraphs to explain how that joke is racist (it isn't)

Mr. Doop

gamergaters are sometimes really good at making their points too, even if you can often find debunks of their arguments showing how they selectively took quotes in the way that was more convenient for them

but hey if you're not convinced by the end of the video

damn you tim schafer, you evil scam artist!

there's literally a link in the comments to a video called "tim schafer makes a racist joke" (he doesn't) that also has another link to a blogpost that takes like 8 paragraphs to explain how that joke is racist (it isn't)

What was the joke?

also why were you reading youtube comments in the first place.

Is it okay to not like Double Fine because they are bad with money and make mediocre games?

I have the same opinion. Seriously. Grim Fandango "Remastered" uses bars since they were too lazy to optimize it for a 16:9 screen, which are standard right now...

There are a lot of things people can criticise about Double Fine. I also remember: "Hm... We dont have any more money for the next Part. You can fund us again through Humble." "We said we didnt have money, but look! Elijah Wood!"

zkylon

zkylewd
What was the joke?

also why were you reading youtube comments in the first place.
Forget but google Tim Shafer racist joke gdc f u want

He's actually making fun of gamergaters

Is it okay to not like Double Fine because they are bad with money and make mediocre games?
Sure, if u don't like em that's ur choice and those are valid reasons

Is this the video you're referring to? It actually makes a good point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlzEXB_Wgo

tl;dw: Psychonauts 2 may not have actually been funded yet because they're counting pledges from unaccredited investments as real investments
Nope, that's not the video

Not gonna link to it cos don't really want to advertise ggers

zkylon

zkylewd
I used to really like gametsgate too. A real pity for them

Also guilty gear

Gross

I have the same opinion. Seriously. Grim Fandango "Remastered" uses bars since they were too lazy to optimize it for a 16:9 screen, which are standard right now...

There are a lot of things people can criticise about Double Fine. I also remember: "Hm... We dont have any more money for the next Part. You can fund us again through Humble." "We said we didnt have money, but look! Elijah Wood!"
I'm sure the celebs weren't a v part of the budget, specially compared to things like the animations. Think of it like a Sundance movie for eijah and jack black

Rest of the criticism is super valid, specially the spacebase stuff

Saty

Steam isn't helping me decide what game to play next. Why can't i filter games by release date? What if i wanna catch-up with games from 2015 that i have? Why isn't there 'here's the latest reviews from your Steam friends of games you own'?

yuraya

Dragon's Dogma preloaded.

Next weekend will be fun. Can't wait :D

I think DD is the last Japanese rpg from PS360 gen that I missed out on and really care for coming to pc. I wanted Resonance of Fate too but SEGA going silent and/or taking too long so I don't care for it anymore.

zkylon

zkylewd
Steam isn't helping me decide what game to play next. Why can't i filter games by release date? What if i wanna catch-up with games from 2015 that i have? Why isn't there 'here's the latest reviews from your Steam friends of games you own'?
I really wish those features existed

But in the meantime just follow my curator thingie and I'll tell u what to play :>

Jawmuncher

I tried the DD demo on Xbox 360, wasn't bad but the griffon there took forever to kill. Just jumped on and stabbed it repeatedly. Was wondering if I was missing something. Not bad but dunno if I need it right away.

Anteater

I tried the DD demo on Xbox 360, wasn't bad but the griffon there took forever to kill. Just jumped on and stabbed it repeatedly. Was wondering if I was missing something. Not bad but dunno if I need it right away.

there are stuff that can make it easier in the main game, stuff like enhancing your weapons with fire, oil arrows + explosive arrows, etc, you can burn their wings and stuff, it's basically just exploiting weak points like some other capcom games

Jawmuncher

there are stuff that can make it easier in the main game, stuff like enhancing your weapons with fire, oil arrows + explosive arrows, etc, you can burn their wings and stuff, it's basically just exploiting weak points like some other capcom games

Yeah felt like a western take on monster hunter boss fights (even though it's still a Japanese dev group)

Having never played the original before, I honestly didn't notice. Yes, it can be argued I don't pay attention to graphical options, and that makes me part of the problem for lazy ports and remasters, but I was simply glad that it's finally available legally and that I got to experience it.

Jawmuncher

Having never played the original before, I honestly didn't notice. Yes, it can be argued I don't pay attention to graphical options, and that makes me part of the problem for lazy ports and remasters, but I was simply glad that it's finally available legally and that I got to experience it.

At the end of the day, I will take a "lazy" new port over nothing.

Glad I missed all the drama. Spent the last week marathoning the Mass Effect trilogy. Just about done.

Also gave up on the Alienware Twitch channel. It's just filled with people begging for keys and spamming ATP commands.

cyba89

Is that even possible? Mordor made Assassins Creed look like Witcher 3 in terms of open world design.

Jawmuncher

Is there a spoiler free guide for undertale? I want to go pacifist, but if the demo told me anything it's that I'm a jerk with no patience.

Madn

If i bought the Humble Bundle with the Total War games but enver played one, what game would be the best one to start with?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Doesn't Grim Fandango have pre-rendered backgrounds? How exactly would they "optimize" those for 16:9?
Stretch 'em.
Ew.

I have zero issues with black borders if it leaves the original art intact.
Like someguyinahat said, i'm just glad I can play Grim Fandango on modern systems, legally, without a hassle.

Corpekata

Banned
If i bought the Humble Bundle with the Total War games but enver played one, what game would be the best one to start with?

Whatever history period you like the most.

I'd say Mid 2 or the first Rome is probably the best overall, but they're on the older side by now too.

gelf

Doesn't Grim Fandango have pre-rendered backgrounds? How exactly would they "optimize" those for 16:9?
Yeah they are pre rendered. There's not much they could have done without it getting into remake territory. The could have done pan and scan like Resident Evil Remake remaster but..urg pan and scan. Especially in a game with object hunting.

I'll always take bare bones ports/re-releases if the alternative is not at all.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
M2 is the gold standard when it comes to porting old games.

Everyone else take notes.
Yeah, LeChuck's Revenge's Remaster was pretty good. It still had some issues, though. The butchered iMuse innovations of the Original made me a bit sad and I would have prefered the Dev commentary's to pause the game.

Still, it's a masterpiece compared to The Secret Of Remastered...
Worth it for the excellent voicework (Dominic Armato <3) but man, that new "artwork"... *shivers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom