• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

If I was at a party drinking, I wouldn't play table tennis on the Switch. I'd play actual table tennis. Beer pong. Whatever.

If I was at a party drinking, I wouldn't play table tennis on the Switch. I'd play actual table tennis. Beer pong. Whatever.

Why not both?

maxresdefault.jpg

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
You'd think after playing original X-COM and the first XCOM, I'd know better than to rush my soldiers blindly into danger to die horrible pointless deaths. But you'd be wrong.

XCOM2 is some hardcore shit.

I found being aggressive worked better in Xcom 2 than it did in Xcom Enemy unknown/within which rewarded being cautious.

Yeah, it's better to be aggressive in 2 due to the extensive use of turn limits. You just have to make sure that you're not being too reckless.

There's a building that doubles the recovery speed if you struggle with the wound times.

I tried to have a 10-12 decent soldiers but replacing that max level unit is pretty hard even if you do. At least early.

I didn't know about this building until I was about 25 hours in. It would have really helped earlier when all of my regular soldiers were on the sidelines, I had to do a retaliation mission with fresh rookies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pit People already the top seller. Dat Behemoth thirst.

BHK3

Banned
So when did GmG add PS4 games to their site and what's the point if everythings full price? Will their coupons work on the games or something?

So when did GmG add PS4 games to their site and what's the point if everythings full price? Will their coupons work on the games or something?

they added that recent-ish

no idea about if they work with discounts or anything (I remember them advertising getting PSN cards and maybe saying the vouchers worked but not 100% sure)

So, next in my playlist was Genesis Rising, forgotten space RTS from 2007. Spaceships in this game is organic and they literally sucking blood from dead enemies to heal and gather genes. I spend hour only on tutorial and idea is freaking awesome, but i heard a lot about how this game is boring and half-baked. Will take a look at campaign later, i must give this game a chance after moments like this:
Also, fighters screaming "Suck them dry!" after receiving order to attack enemies.

Switch details seem to just be one bummer after the next.

I'm taking it very personally and it is hurting my feelings. Might even ruin my weekend.

I know what will cheer me up. Surely, the Humble sale has the Witcher expansion pass on sale!

rtcn63

Are you happy they will kill 3DS for that piece of crap?

I actually wonder if the 3DS will be a point of confusion for casual buyers. Like, oh this isn't the new Nintendo home console? It's a portable? Why is it $300? The 3DS is like $150. And it has a bigger library of games that are significantly cheaper. Mario. Zelda. Pokemon.

Ascheroth

I'm just laughing at all the Switch details. I thought they had this thing in the bag with the hybrid-thingy, but then they just keep exceeding all the worst-case expectations. Sasuga Nintendo, truly well played.

---
Now for something entirely different:
Any news regarding SEGA PC port news?
What's going to be first, Trails the 3rd release or SEGA news?

gngf123

Would normally do a giveaway for this, but whatever it was free to begin with on Humble:

980D8-PNJB2-WYCN6

Dirt Showdown. Turns out I already had it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dont get why people were expecting anything under $300 for a new console

that's silly

Oh, yeah I can see that. I guess there aren't a ton of powers meant to be used nonlethally that also don't interact directly with enemies. You either have to go no powers and rely on physical limitations or play some kind of omnipotent time wizard.
i just find it pointless to have two completely analogous systems and one gives you a good ending and one gives you a bad ending. there's not even like a consistent dramatic character shift through the story, it's just ending A or ending B

what's the point of that choice existing?

if anything i think it makes the characters weaker cos my emily is a psycho but she's all like DADDY while another emily is like complete opposite which to me feels really inconsistent with the idea of a revenge story

it's like if agent 47 could just not kill his targets, he'd be such a lame character

i don't like games that treat non-lethal options this way, it's super lame imo

Today is my birthday, but the Switch killed Modbot :(
nice, happy birthday friend

i just find it pointless to have two completely analogous systems and one gives you a good ending and one gives you a bad ending. there's not even like a consistent dramatic character shift through the story, it's just ending A or ending B

what's the point of that choice existing?

if anything i think it makes the characters weaker cos my emily is a psycho but she's all like DADDY while another emily is like complete opposite which to me feels really inconsistent with the idea of a revenge story

it's like if agent 47 could just not kill his targets, he'd be such a lame character

i don't like games that treat non-lethal options this way, it's super lame imo

Those are solid points. Another issue in Dis-ho 2 is that when you do a non-lethal kill on a target, you find the motive for doing so after you actually do it.

All the way up to it, I had no idea why the fuck I shouldn't kill a person. And then when I didn't, because I was going 0 kill, it's like, "Good thing you didn't because now this person has something helpful to say or do."

And, really, there's one non-lethal that is arguably more fucked up than actually just flat killing the person.

zkylon

zkylewd
Those are solid points. Another issue in Dis-ho 2 is that when you do a non-lethal kill on a target, you find the motive for doing so after you actually do it.

All the way up to it, I had no idea why the fuck I shouldn't kill a person. And then when I didn't, because I was going 0 kill, it's like, "Good thing you didn't because now this person has something helpful to say or do."

And, really, there's one non-lethal that is arguably more fucked up than actually just flat killing the person.

i also dislike it cos you can kill like a dozen grunts that are just guards doing their job but then you get a MORAL CHOICE TM to choose if you kill or spare this legitimately evil asshole that personally wronged you

and yeah, some of the non lethal target "kills" in disho1 were like, send this person to work as a slave in the mines or something like that

what's the point of that?

it's not something stealth games have done well often. i can't think of many games that gave you the choice to non lethally dispose of your enemies in a way that's not analogous to the regular lethal methods

i heard good things about this in watch dogs 2, actually

it made me really interested in that game, i should probably play it

6 hours into Planescape, can't believe I waited so long to play it. The world and writing is just amazing.

I haven't even reached Pharod or Ragpicker's Square yet.

and yeah, some of the non lethal target "kills" in disho1 were like, send this person to work as a slave in the mines or something like that

what's the point of that?
Not killing isn't always the good choice compared to killing. Non-lethal doesn't equal "good". It wasn't a morality meter or a good/bad thing. It was high or low chaos. Just bad (killing) and worse (keeping your targets alive).

Ascheroth

6 hours into Planescape, can't believe I waited so long to play it. The world and writing is just amazing.

I haven't even reached Pharod or Ragpicker's Square yet.

Man I also really need to play Planescape. I think the most I played of it was an hour, that's something I definitely have to rectify.

I also still have a retail disc of Baldurs Gate 2 somewhere lying around. I remember playing through the 'tutorial' dungeon and got overwhelmed right after, lol.
...That really brings back memories. Baldurs Gate 1 + Tales of the Sword Coast + 2, Icewind Dale 1 + 2, Neverwinter Nights + all expansions for 30€.
One of my best childhood purchases ever.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not killing isn't always the good choice compared to killing. Non-lethal doesn't equal "good". It wasn't a morality meter or a good/bad thing. It was high or low chaos. Just bad (killing) and worse (keeping your targets alive).
that's not how the game presents it tho

you get an achievement for beating the game "non-lethal" and your chaos meter goes down and emily becomes less evil for it

the game is deciding for you that sending that guy to be a slave at the mines is the lesser evil choice, probably way over murdering half a dozen random people in the street or whatever

like, it'd be cool if the game responded to your "sparing" as the cruelty it really is, that'd be great and would make me more interested in doing it but instead it feels like not doing it is a fail state, like you took the easy way out and you get the bad ending for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom