• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

sure, just don't assume it's objectively the most fun as i found a lot of other games way more entertaining, exciting and fun (like dragon's dogma or dark souls or xcom or even stardew valley)

but yeah all doom's got going for it is that it's "classic fun", which hey if u like it more power to you but for me that's nowhere near enough

It's also got really cool level design, a crazy story and cool characters on top of just being a ton of fun to play.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all need to play The Witness, it's the real goty.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's also got really cool level design, a crazy story and cool characters on top of just being a ton of fun to play.
i disagree with points 2 and 3, i thought both were very forgettable (there were characters?)

point 1 is good, the arenas you fight in are varied enough and the bits of platforming and exploration and even puzzle solving are also fun, but it's still a far cry from doom 1 and 2's more open, creative and surprising level design

Anno

I'm also surprised that the enthusiasm for Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris appeared to fade quickly.

I think both held up fine on Steam overall. I have no real concept of how many people who frequent this thread are into them, though. Stellaris was my #3 I think.

I enjoyed Firewatch. I liked Gone Home more, but Firewatch was a good experience. The ending had me down until I read some interpretations of it which had me turn my opinion around on how they handled it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wonder if i should give stellaris another shot

i bought it as an attempt to approach the grand strategy genre and i found it so very boring, but i heard they added a bunch of stuff so maybe they've made it a bit more interesting

i didn't have a problem with the choice making and politics and all that, it's just that more often than not there was very little to do and hopefully their patches have improved that

haha that's just me

i'll always prefer the flawed original idea over the polished known quantity

Just read the comic.

My takeaway:

!) We're getting ten new alt characters for every class.
2) New gameplay mode that acts as the END OF TF2.

Teggy

i disagree with points 2 and 3, i thought both were very forgettable (there were characters?)

point 1 is good, the arenas you fight in are varied enough and the bits of platforming and exploration and even puzzle solving are also fun, but it's still a far cry from doom 1 and 2's more open, creative and surprising level design

You missed the weird cyborg lady and scientist who had his consciousness turned into an AI? And the best character of all, the Doom guy who DGAF. The story is not super deep but it works really well in the context of the game.

But no doubt, everyone likes different things. I wouldn't last 5 minutes playing Stardew and have tried various Souls games but the difficulty is not for me.

Stall19

I generally wait for big sales before buying games so I'm kinda surprised that I have all of the top 5 games and 8 of the top 10

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thank you again to everyone that voted and everyone that stuck around this evening while I got all the tallies put together! You guys are the real MVPs.

We did well here, folks. Let us hope it continues in other venues.

IDidMyPart.gif

(5 Points) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
(4 Points) I Am Setsuna
(3 Points) Xanadu Next
(2 Points) Firewatch
(1 Point) Rise of the Tomb Raider

zkylon

zkylewd
You missed the weird cyborg lady and scientist who had his consciousness turned into an AI? And the best character of all, the Doom guy who DGAF. The story is not super deep but it works really well in the context of the game.

But no doubt, everyone likes different things. I wouldn't last 5 minutes playing Stardew.
i didn't miss em, just didn't find the story "crazy" or the characters "cool". everything served the purpose of putting monsters in front of you for you to shoot, and none of them moved past that role.

i also found the "doom guy being hilarious" or whatever part being very lost on me. i was on board at first when he like throws away the console and like kicks important stuff but as the game goes on he just does as he's told and loses most personality outside of thing that kill things. sure, there's a lot of character in smaller things like how you interact with the upgrade bots by punching them, but it wasn't amped to 11 like i was led to believe by idk giantbomb people or whatever

but most definitely everyone likes different things and doom is not a bad game not by a long shot. if people like it that's cool, i personally found it very hard to justify having a spot in my list, even on a year where i played very few games, but i actually liked stardew valley a whole lot :p

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I realized while putting together my vote that this is the first year in awhile something I kickstarted didn't come out. No FTL, no Shadowrun, no Pillars of Eternity, no Divinity.

And every single one of my votes made the top ten, but I only picked them up within the last two months because they were on sale fairly cheap. XCOM 2, what, less than two weeks ago? No Alienware wins to pad out this year's backlog either.

Of the two games I preordered this year, Stellaris and Dragon's Dogma, I only ended up voting for DD. Someone said Stellaris is the kind of game you know is going to be great one day, but it's going to take a few more DLC releases and patches to get there and I agree. It makes the top ten though.

I don't know. My list and maybe SteamGAF's list feel far more reflective of purchasing choices rather than personal taste compared to previous years. There's a lot of interesting non-AAA games I could have seen hitting my top five instead (Tyranny, Shadow Warrior 2, maybe the Witness) but I just didn't pick them up.

For this year, there's all of one game I'm really considering pre-ordering (it's Nier 2) but otherwise I'd be happy to pick up 2016s GOTY runners up in bundles and sales. That's not gonna make for a very interesting GOTY next year either.

so i forgot to vote this year
pls dont kill my puff daddy

I would have voted for:

5pts Dead Rising
4pts Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
3pts Enter The Gungeon
2pts Rabi-Ribi
1pt Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight

I feel weird putting momodora in my list because i haven't played it and am basing it from enjoying momo3 and seeing gameplay footage of it.

I originally had Owlboy with 1 point, thanks again Dupy, but i disliked two aspects of the game:
First, near the end you lose your ability to fly but can still hover. There's a platforming sequence but i found myself fighting with the controls because i would hover prematurely, not letting my jump get enough height to make the gap, falling into a bottomless pit ( i guess that's what i get for using the analog stick).

Second, there are coins to collect and some are located behind fake walls. Sometimes there are cues suggesting there's something worth exploring but most of the time there isn't so you spend most of your time hugging walls throughout the game just to find them.

bigzgod

Meh, didn't vote since I didn't finish many games that came out in 2016.

I'm more focused on 2017.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the Third for SteamGaf GOTY 2017 \o/

Please don't be delayed ;_;

Teggy

I like that Darkest Dungeon and Enter The Gungeon tied. ungeon.

Well, GOTY is done, and the holidays are over. It's dull winter mid-January 2017. Kinda sucks.

oipic

I was a last-minute voter, after weighing up whether my viewpoint was vote-worthy for 2016 - but I'm glad I did. It's over-simplifying things, of course, but without my votes Stardew Valley would've been 4th.

The takeaway from this is that every vote really does count - hopefully we can get those voter numbers up above 200 for next year.

Thanks again for all of your work on this, JShack, and to all who voted. :)

And what do I have to do to whom to get another god damn Dragon's Dogma game? I played about 2 hours tonight after having put it down for a few months and it reminds how incredible of a game it is every time.

EDIT: It was actually 4 hours I played, time flies when you're having fun.

Glad to see the top 3 games matched what I had in my top 3, though I had DOOM and Dark Souls III switched. Looking at the full results reminds me I really need to play Momodora: RUtM, something I'd meant to do months ago.

Tizoc

So the new Fate game that is releasing this week on PS4 is a Musou-like game.
WIsh that'd come to Steam as well seeing as Sabre is already in Nitroplus Blasterz and we got Melty on Steam
We really need a new steamdb leak...

Uzzy

That is quite the margin of victory for DOOM. Surprising.
XCOM2 being the best strategy game of the yeah? Ehhhh...

Also, people voting for ROTR?

FidZknJ.gif

7th place for my #1, The Witness.
4th place for my #2, XCOM2
52nd place for my #3, Headlander
14th place for my #4, Firewatch
21st place for my #5, Civilization 6

Only played 3 games of the top 10, with Inside being my pick for most overrated game, even if the graphics and sound design of some scenes makes it worth to play through it at least.

I have no idea if that gif is supposed to convey approval or disapproval, but Rise of the Tomb Raider is dope aside from the criminal lack of rope arrows in combat.

duckroll

I'm sorry Xanadu Next fans. If I voted, Hitman would have been 129, and Xanadu Next would have been 56.

Would have still needed someone else to vote the same way to make any difference though!

Tizoc

They want their (faux?) Uncharted fix.
Rice of Tom Braider's bow and arrow is fun to kill enemies with so that is the most likely reason they voted for it, and people prob. didn't realize that.

Volimar

Whoops that was fast! Missed the awards ceremony.

My thoughts:

Far Harbor was a real slog, but it probably hurt that I was playing on survival which means no fast travel.

Can't wait for Witcher 3's DLC to go on sale again.

Dragon's Dogma was great. Really enjoyed using GAFfer's pawns.

XCOM 2 is a great successor to Enemy Unknown. Still has some performance issues though.

Honorable mention to Darkest Dungeon.

The Uncharted games are bad though, I put off playing Tomb Raider '13 for a long while until someone really really wanted me to give it a shot and assured me it wasn't as Uncharted as I was led to believe and he was totally right. My long lasting memory of Uncharted gameplay is auto-platforming and third person shooting combat that generally does not feel all too great. In Tomb Raider I'm shufflin' around, mad swapping between weapons, cappin' knees, shredding through armour, it's the exact inverse of Uncharted in that I find the gameplay to be the drive whereas the less you see and hear of the characters the better.

Total Waaaagh was robbed.

BattleGIF1.jpg

Although XCOM 2 and Stellaris are great as well. So not that robbed.

ROTTR is eh. I'm playing it on PS4 and it's fun moment-to-moment, but absolutely terrified of offering anything even approaching a challenge. It's like it never got balanced tested; they give you all of these tools, craftables, and unlockables, and all of it is completely needless with how easy the game gets a few hours in. It's also very haphazardly designed, with very little thought put into how the encounters play out. It's much more of a game than Uncharted, but lacks a killer mechanic to make it truly engaging.

If it doubled down on survival aspects, or at least made it difficult enough for the unlocks to be useful, it'd be a really fun game. But as it is it's just nonthreatening and safe. Not bad, but... not memorable.

ROTTR's one saving grace might be the difficulty cards. I haven't used them yet so I'm not sure how they work, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom