• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Uncharted games are bad though, I put off playing Tomb Raider '13 for a long while until someone really really wanted me to give it a shot and assured me it wasn't as Uncharted as I was led to believe and he was totally right. My long lasting memory of Uncharted gameplay is auto-platforming and third person shooting combat that generally does not feel all too great. In Tomb Raider I'm shufflin' around, mad swapping between weapons, cappin' knees, shredding through armour, it's the exact inverse of Uncharted in that I find the gameplay to be the drive whereas the less you see and hear of the characters the better.

I often feel that I should make an effort to play the Uncharted games on my PS3, but the last time I tried was with the Uncharted 2 demo, and that felt a bit too much like playing the old Rebel Assault CD-ROM games, in terms of gameplay.

Hektor

I often feel that I should make an effort to play the Uncharted games on my PS3, but the last time I tried was with the Uncharted 2 demo, and that felt a bit too much like playing the old Rebel Assault CD-ROM games, in terms of gameplay.

Rebel Assault was a lot better than uncharted

Endruen

Umineko was robbed.
gpkiYZ5.jpg

def sim

I'm glad to see the GOTY list that is highly respected by the entirety of GAF and, really, the internet finally posted. I'm somewhat surprised at how mainstream the top ten is, but at least this is the one that won't have U4 at #1 for some reason.

;)

Monooboe

Great to see the list! And Xanadu Next being so close to top 10 I feel really bad for not having it on my list.T_T

Also totally forgot Fallout 4: Far Harbor came out this year, really liked it and it would easily been on my list.

The Uncharted games are bad though, I put off playing Tomb Raider '13 for a long while until someone really really wanted me to give it a shot and assured me it wasn't as Uncharted as I was led to believe and he was totally right. My long lasting memory of Uncharted gameplay is auto-platforming and third person shooting combat that generally does not feel all too great. In Tomb Raider I'm shufflin' around, mad swapping between weapons, cappin' knees, shredding through armour, it's the exact inverse of Uncharted in that I find the gameplay to be the drive whereas the less you see and hear of the characters the better.

Having just recently replayed (should've been my wife's first playthrough but yeah) PS3 Uncharted games with the remaster, I totally agree. What makes Uncharted games great are the graphics, art direction, and everything related to movies. The core gameplay itself is pretty mediocre at best. Brain dead platforming and frustrating gunplay really make playing through the games a chore for me. My wife can barely shoot the bad guys even on easy, so he just passed the controller to me for pretty much all encounters. She beat both Tomb Raider reboot alone. Of course, it doesn't make Tomb Raider totally triumph over Uncharted as each franchise got some things right while failed at the other things. So, everytime someone compares Uncharted to Tomb Raider reboot, I just can't relate at all.

Doing my first playthrough of Twilight Princess, really enjoying my time with it so far. The village stuff was boring but once I got to
the temple
I started having fun.

Tizoc

The UC games have nice shooting IMO, but really much of it is more guaranteed when you're in cover and holding L2 to zoom in for fine tuning your aim. This makes weapons like shotguns weird because I've rarely ever used them and running out of cover and around the field risks you getting killed so Shotguns get less use outside of being close range AND behind cover to benefit from them.

TR reboot duology is an Uncharted clone no matter what anyone says. It adds in some stuff that aren't in UC but does them poorly like the uninspired upgrade system.
As I always keep telling people, get the TR reboot duology if you like flinging arrows at people's faces, for all its faults, the bow and arrow are the most fun part of the game.

This is what I'm talking about.

I need one by or before the 19th because I want to grab Fate Musou and Gravity Rush 2 off PSN @_@

Speaking of which, gonna put my PC backlog on hold for some time to clear my PS4 backlog. To be exact I'll just go through my PnC/Adventure game backlog while clearing the PS4 backlog and 3DS backlog.

Speaking of Uncharted series' gunplay, there is a thread where the gunplay is praised
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1140458

A quick glance at it and movement is not a major factor in the UC games. You only move to go to the next cover.

You want to talk about movement in a shooting game, go play Doom 2016 or heck Darkness 2.

Mugen08

Aha, I have been looking for threads like this to interact more with my Gaf PC breathren and sisters. I have apparently missed browsing the Community-part of the forums. Is there a new Steam-thread being made every month?

Pixieking

Banned
Aha, I have been looking for threads like this to interact more with my Gaf PC breathren and sisters. I have apparently missed browsing the Community-part of the forums. Is there a new Steam-thread being made every month?

Heya and welcome! :D The Steam thread used to be in Gaming, but it ended-up in Community for various reasons. :(

Yeah, a new thread is made every month, and there's specific Steam Sales threads made for the larger sales.

Ascheroth

To quote myself from the SteamGOTY-thread:
11-20 is where it's at.
Where 1-10 feels like the mainstream list, 11-20 are the lesser-known gems everyone and their grandmother should play.
But on the bright side, House in Fata Morgana has the highest APS (4.71) out of any game on the list.

Welcome aboard.

Yes, there's a Steam thread every month. You might want to subscribe everytime a new one pops up (usually at the very start of each month) so you won't be missing it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 31 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

123 Slaughter Me Street -- MB-6804FDCB8351E0B8 - Taken by voodooray
9 Clues 2: The Ward -- MB-0E12D1F9269DAF9E - Taken by voodooray
9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek -- MB-E5A4E0141E35A092 - Taken by fifasnipe2224
Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden -- MB-6A04D004AEAC01C3 - Taken by Anteater
Age of Steel: Recharge -- MB-6785DEA09A1B5328 - Taken by nightstorm
Agent Awesome -- MB-58AB7F15933C597A - Taken by Hakkelus
Blacksea Odyssey -- MB-01B0580C49E0859B - Taken by anastef
BoneBone: Rise of the Deathlord -- MB-5DD014997A5BEE4C - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Color Chemistry -- MB-CA9DD3047B1B910E - Taken by fuzzy123
Dark Arcana: The Carnival -- MB-1603DA9B6DCD0C0A - Taken by Abomination
Disposable Heroes -- MB-5C09EBB47279ACD6 - Taken by madjoki
Energy Cycle -- MB-4208F3AE8A810CC2 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Fairyland: Incursion -- MB-76FD9C09D14BF946 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Forgotten, Not Lost - A Kinetic Novel -- MB-B2B00453C7CF0757 - Taken by Catshade
Machine Made: Rebirth -- MB-8E05BE0A337CA579 - Taken by Kifimbo
Motorama -- MB-5D88E7A1A257D2B9 - Taken by fuzzy123
One More Dungeon -- MB-E96BBAD2B20081E6 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
Operation Kreep -- MB-CE3F5A9BCD8A3FE1 - Taken by Purkake4
Plantera -- MB-D263C214993C6114 - Taken by PaulSane
Project Tarvotan -- MB-0497578745F8CD40 - Taken by madjoki
Sacred Line Genesis Remix -- MB-F1978349E49FA857 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Shapes of Gray -- MB-0986E348606599B3 - Taken by Loptous
The Agony -- MB-237BCBF99F479E8A - Taken by Catshade
The Land of Dasthir -- MB-92DA32093CE26E49 - Taken by Vuze
The Secret Order 2: Masked Intent -- MB-AA058EF4C6EB7109 - Taken by Costa1774
Time Mysteries 2: The Ancient Spectres -- MB-23D3535C7855B255 - Taken by Anteater
Time Mysteries 3: The Final Enigma -- MB-F7769C0C719CE0F0 - Taken by Benedict
Time Mysteries: Inheritance Remastered -- MB-76E865C4829E9C8E - Taken by Cth
VR Journey -- MB-BE71C9246F9D54EE - Taken by MaxiLive
Wooden House -- MB-F1877E1A48FCCB48 - Taken by Megauap
Zenohell -- MB-A4C1EF7836F126FD - Taken by NingenJanai

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game will unlock globally
(sans Japan since they have a different version)
on Jan. 23rd, 9:00PM Pacific Standard Time. We also expect to pre-load sometime before Friday.

That's 1pm here. Good stuff.

derFeef

Yakuza 0 and RE7 on the same day is rough. But RE7 will have a preload, while you can't even preorder Y0 from the EU PSN... so guess the winning game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The game will unlock globally
(sans Japan since they have a different version)
on Jan. 23rd, 9:00PM Pacific Standard Time. We also expect to pre-load sometime before Friday.

oh I thought it was the 27th for some reason, nice

Monooboe

Alright you guys were right, Risk of Rain is pretty good! I think I need to give FTL also a go, I somehow was under the impression that it was a towerdefence game and I really dislike those, but seeing how wrong I was about Risk of Rain and how often FTL gets mentioned I'm realizing that I might be missing out.

Hektor

Alright you guys were right, Risk of Rain is pretty good! I think I need to give FTL also a go, I somehow was under the impression that it was a towerdefence game and I really dislike those, but seeing how wrong I was about Risk of Rain and how often FTL gets mentioned I'm realizing that I might be missing out.

FTL is nothing like a tower defense game at all. And honestly I can't imagine how you got that idea lol.

Definitely give it a try tho, it's amazing.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that blows my mind is I've just found out Xenus 2 - White Gold is now on Steam. I loved that janky ass game when I played it a few years ago. Now hopefully they get Precursors on their too.

Monooboe

FTL is nothing like a tower defense game at all. And honestly I can't imagine how you got that idea lol.

Definitely give it a try tho, it's amazing.

Haha yeah I have no idea either. Though, it's a great feeling finding out that one has great games in ones library that one has wrongly dismissed in the past.:D

yuraya

"Not a Hero" free DLC campaign chapter releasing for Resident Evil 7 in May. Made a topic for it.

Basically an additional campaign chapter for RE7 will be released free for all users in May, doesn't star Ethan but someone else but fills some of the gaps in RE7's story from a different perspective and a different 'taste' in its gameplay.

Kind of disappointing they are doing so much single player DLC. The campaign is more than long enough for that type of game. I would much rather them do multiplayer dlc and add some type of merc/raid modes. Some type of cod zombie mode in first person would have been epic. A big missed opportunity for capcom. Hope they still do that in the future.

Only 6 points? And 3 of those are mine. I thought people really liked TIS-100?

I really like it, but I had kind of burned myself out playing a ton of TIS-100 shortly before I started playing Shenzhen I/O. So it ended up having less of an impact. It is definitely a game that I want to return to, however.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kind of disappointing they are doing so much single player DLC. The campaign is more than long enough for that type of game. I would much rather them do multiplayer dlc and add some type of merc/raid modes. Some type of cod zombie mode in first person would have been epic. A big missed opportunity for capcom. Hope they still do that in the future.

I honestly cant tell if this is sarcasm or not anymore.

The steam link doesnt work wireless (losing 40 % of data), plus the wireless mouse usb signal seems to break the connection completely. Will have to buy a lan switch. Talking about 5-7 meters in house. Maybe im doing it wrong and someone has another solution, but if this is normal status of this thing, i cant see the achievement at all.

Another question on Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, great game btw, but how do you set skill points or anything similar?

My new rx480 is doing fine, played some Star Citizen and yeah, this is getting good. Unfortunately i have no 4k screen, so probably there will be some space for the next step.

Dr Dogg

That is quite the margin of victory for DOOM. Surprising.
XCOM2 being the best strategy game of the yeah? Ehhhh...

Also, people voting for ROTR?

Well like I've said in previous years all selection based community voting systems just lead to a popularity contest where the item with the most mentions wins. Having a tiered or scoring based system on top just reinforces the most popular choice even further but even removing that wouldn't reflect their placing only their margin of victory. Just unique mentions and not their combined points total would really mix up the middle ground but the top 10 or 15 would stay relatively the same.

Did something a bit different at the end of year employee awards at work this year. We decided to just list a selection of feats or traits then have everyone nominate someone for each and then used the popularity figure from that to decide the overall awards for positions held. All but 2 people got mentioned (so that was my chance to throw them some backhanded compliments as there award) so worked out more like the Dundies with everyone getting some form of 'recognition' one way or another.

Arminsc

The steam link doesnt work wireless (losing 40 % of data), plus the wireless mouse usb signal seems to break the connection completely. Will have to buy a lan switch. Talking about 5-7 meters in house. Maybe im doing it wrong and someone has another solution, but if this is normal status of this thing, i cant see the achievement at all.

Another question on Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, great game btw, but how do you set skill points or anything similar?

My new rx480 is doing fine, played some Star Citizen and yeah, this is getting good. Unfortunately i have no 4k screen, so probably there will be some space for the next step.

I just updated to a rx480 too last week. I was holding on playing some recent games that I tried but couldn't run properly like Hitman, XCOM-2, and man, what a difference now!

Also just remembered to play again the RE7 demo on the new card, hope I can max it out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom