• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

RE7 demo ran fine on my 480 even at 1440p with some settings a bit lowered.
However, I got my 1070 repaired and the 480 will go back - goodbuy non-bloated drivers :-(

Arminsc

1080p60 should be achievable:

re7_1920.png

Nice, I have a 1080 monitor so I don't need more, if the game isn't too hard on the CPU I should be okay. Thanks!

RE7 demo ran fine on my 480 even at 1440p with some settings a bit lowered.
However, I got my 1070 repaired and the 480 will go back - goodbuy non-bloated drivers :-(

Yeah, by the looks of those benchmarks it should run fine at 1080.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm pretty sure the RE Engine is Capcom's successor to MT Frameworks, so it makes sense it's a pretty well optimized engine.

I won't be surprised at all if we see a number of Capcom's future games using the RE Engine.

Shengar

Grim Dawn must be one of the dullest game I ever played.
The gameplay is rock solid, but everything about the presentation is just boring as fuck and makes the game feels like a drag. This is why art and music direction is important for your game :/

Kaleinc

Banned
The gameplay is rock solid, but everything about the presentation is just boring as fuck and makes the game feels like a drag. This is why art and music direction is important for your game :/
Check game folder - 3.8 Gb total: sound - 1.5, stuff - 1, levels ~ 1 Gb. Feels sorta bland but yeah gameplay is legit, much better than Torchlights/VHs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is Cold Fear on Steam or is it now UPlay exclusiv?

Already answered, but Cold Fear only uses Steam DRM.

It's an older port so there's a few finnicky things, but surprisingly still was better than the PS2/Xbox versions and I got it to run without much problem. If the game doesn't launch after you launch it once, delete res.bin from the game's directory. That was the only issue I had with it (and I couldn't get it to run in windowed mode).

Game itself I have quite the opinion on, but it's interesting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does that mean that I cant redeem a UPlay Key on Steam? Sorry for the stupid question, but I think I remember something in that regards...

The only Ubi-published games that are Steam-redeemable by default are Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, RUSE, Grow Home/Up and the two most recent Call of Juarez titles.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The only Ubi-published games that are Steam-redeemable by default are Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, RUSE, Grow Home and the two most recent Call of Juarez titles.

Meh. I hope I find then someone who helps me buy a key next time its on a Humble Store sale :/

Uzzy

Total Waaaagh was robbed.

Although XCOM 2 and Stellaris are great as well. So not that robbed.

It's been a really good year for strategy games. Two great Paradox titles, lots of fantastic DLC from them to expand upon their existing games (reveal yourself, whoever else gave Rights of Man 3 points in the DLC category), Total Warhammer turned out to be fantastic, XCOM2 was great and we even had a new Civ game. That's not to even mention the mass of smaller titles that went under the radar a little, like Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, The Banner Saga 2, Offworld Trading Company or Shadow Tactics which looks to be a great Commando's spiritual successor.

If even a few of those landed, then it'd have been a good year. But this might be the best year for strategy games that I can remember.

Well like I've said in previous years all selection based community voting systems just lead to a popularity contest where the item with the most mentions wins. Having a tiered or scoring based system on top just reinforces the most popular choice even further but even removing that wouldn't reflect their placing only their margin of victory. Just unique mentions and not their combined points total would really mix up the middle ground but the top 10 or 15 would stay relatively the same.

Did something a bit different at the end of year employee awards at work this year. We decided to just list a selection of feats or traits then have everyone nominate someone for each and then used the popularity figure from that to decide the overall awards for positions held. All but 2 people got mentioned (so that was my chance to throw them some backhanded compliments as there award) so worked out more like the Dundies with everyone getting some form of 'recognition' one way or another.

That would have been an interesting way to decide to the SteamGAF GOTY awards, having a list of traits and letting us vote on that. But mostly I was just surprised at the margin of victory for DOOM, not that it won. I had real difficulty making my list this year due to the number of really good titles I played, but nothing that really stood head and shoulders above the rest. I guess DOOM was that for a lot of people.

What's wrong with ppl voting for ROTTR? Just asking.

You don't like it? Sorry i voted for ROTTR, i think it deserved to be in TOP 20. It's called opinions.

If you liked it, more power to you!

Yeah, I wasn't sure until now, but I think that's the reason why I can't continue my Grim Dawn playthrough.

Teggy

You don't like it? Sorry i voted for ROTTR, i think it deserved to be in TOP 20. It's called opinions.

It's a great game. If I played it on PC this year I might have voted for it, but it was a 2015 game for me.

The 5 games and single dlc I had on my ballot were literally the only 2016 steam releases I played but my number 1 for both categories coincided with the overall winners.

I have so much catching up to do, Deus EX, DS3, Dishonored 2... Doesn't seem feasible in my lifetime tbh.

Also, before I bought Dragon's Dogma in december's monthly bundle I had read nothing but praise for the game, now I've read a ton of posts saying the game isn't all that in just a few pages lol.

Liking "cinematic" games is a sin for most people on gaf.
Don't worry about it, I thought it was fun as well.

It's like the constant jabs at Uncharted even though UC4 is a fantastic game worthy of any goty list.

Tizoc

The 5 games and single dlc I had on my ballot were literally the only 2016 steam releases I played but my number 1 for both categories coincided with the overall winners.

I have so much catching up to do, Deus EX, DS3, Dishonored 2... Doesn't seem feasible in my lifetime tbh.

Also, before I bought Dragon's Dogma in december's monthly bundle I had read nothing but praise for the game, now I've read a ton of posts saying the game isn't all that in just a few pages lol.
Some games u gotta experience for yourself
So get the essential dd mods and play the game and judge it for yourself

Teggy

Some games u gotta experience for yourself
So get the essential dd mods and play the game and judge it for yourself

It's what I'm doing, just surprised at the apparent backlash, wasn't aware of it, though I do agree with some of the criticisms I've read.
It's a great game though.

Knurek

Cool. I can finally play Read Only Memories now.

More like Read Additionally Memories, amirite?

Jshackles, something to mull over for SteamGAF 2017 GOTY - how about adding a single slot, which everyone who votes can use to decrease point total for a selected game?
Say, 5/4/3/2/1 point votes + a -3 point one.

Shengar

Check game folder - 3.8 Gb total: sound - 1.5, stuff - 1, levels ~ 1 Gb. Feels sorta bland but yeah gameplay is legit, much better than Torchlights/VHs.
Honestly I feel envy on people who can play Grim Dawn repeatedly and trying different build. I just got an ultra good weapon near the end of my first playthrough, makes me kinda want to play more until I realize I will meet the boring looking enemies all over again.

Yeah, I wasn't sure until now, but I think that's the reason why I can't continue my Grim Dawn playthrough.
It doesn't help that the game only have exactly one player character model for each gender. There isn't any customization whatsoever. Meanwhile Diablo and Torchlight have different model for each class. Dragon's Dogma doesn't have the best art direction either, but at the very least it have extensive character customization that serves as good incentive for you to replay the game.
You really have into the ARPG gameplay loop to be able to ignore the lacking presentation of Grim Dawn.

More like Read Additionally Memories, amirite?

Jshackles, something to mull over for SteamGAF 2017 GOTY - how about adding a single slot, which everyone who votes can use to decrease point total for a selected game?
Say, 5/4/3/2/1 point votes + a -3 point one.

I was thinking maybe some sort category for games from the year before. A lot of people, like me, buy games at the Christmas sale and don't get a chance to play them until the time is up. It also disadvantages games that came out later in the year.

Maybe even delay the count for a month or two to allow people to play their Christmas buys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom