• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

10 | Dishonored 2 (59 Points / 3.11 APS)
11 | Xanadu Next (53 Points / 3.53 APS)
12 | Pony Island (46 Points / 3.07 APS)
13 | Oxenfree (44 Points / 2.93 APS)
14 | Firewatch (44 Points / 2.59 APS)
15 | Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (36 Points / 3.6 APS)

THIS IS WHY YOU VOTE.

The top 10 would have been way more interesting with some of these in there.

DOOM #1? undeserved. those boss fights fucking suck so much. those alone should be enough not to have it as number 1

12 | Pony Island (46 Points / 3.07 APS)
13 | Oxenfree (44 Points / 2.93 APS)

THIS IS WHY YOU VOTE.

are you being serious with those 2?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
THIS IS WHY YOU VOTE.

I personally thought our 11-20 spots were much more interesting than the top 10, another reason I wanted to do a "Top 20".

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I knew I would be the only one to vote for Toonstruck, but at least people have to look it up now.

FLD

I didn't expect VA-11 Hall-A to make the top 10 but I'm glad it was at least in the top 20. Good to see Hyper Light Drifter getting some love as well. Kinda surprised Superhot didn't do better, though. It's the lowest out of all of my votes.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On one hand, three of the five games I voted for this year are towards the very top of the list, one of them even in the top 10, and all three are in the top 20, so that's good for my usually obscure choices & tastes I'd say.

On the other hand, I was literally the only person who voted for OneShot. I can understand being the only person who voted for IMSCARED, but for OneShot?

Hello Darkness, my old friend...

zkylon

zkylewd
What is it not?

it's not call of doom

and i really appreciate that, i liked doom, i liked not having to reload, that you move fast and that you don't have a gun limit, but none of those things are original, inventive or impressive and doom 2016 does not really excel over its peers

it's a well constructed shooter for sure and i don't mean to take away from what other people liked, but i forgot about it already

i liked rage more :>

Teeth

Huh, so they did change it. I didn't expect that they would do that after the "working as intended" message they said in the beginning.

I think it was working as intended on release (based on how complicated the poise stat actually was initially integrated), it's just that the community hated it, so they changed it up.

Teggy

On one hand, three of the five games I voted for this year are towards the very top of the list, one of them even in the top 10, and all three are in the top 20, so that's good for my usually obscure choices & tastes I'd say.

On the other hand, I was literally the only person who voted for OneShot. I can understand being the only person who voted for IMSCARED, but for OneShot?

Hello Darkness, my old friend...

It made my top 10, but not my top 5.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
More of you guys need to check out OneShot though, seriously.

OneShot

Some reviews:

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
OneShot makes players question the reality that surrounds them. Is it just a game or is there more to it? The commentary on player/game relationship is enough for a standalone piece, which we may very well write. OneShot pulls players in with poise and wit in a way most games can only dream of, offering up the best an adventure game can offer. With a character that can easily be understood and cared for, OneShot creates an unforgettable adventure while hiding secrets that could very well be missed. What awaits in OneShot is well worth anyone's time.

Entertainment Buddha - 85/10
Beautiful Puzzle/Adventure with Unique Mechanics
OneShot gripped my feelings almost right away with its lead character Niko. Following this lost child through this dark, beautiful world led to some amazing fourth wall breaking puzzles. During the beginning, without direction, it is difficult to discern what you need to do, but hey it wouldn't be a puzzle game without making you think right?

Cubed3 - 8/10
There's very little that can actually be said about how brilliant OneShot is. Be sure to stay well away from streams or a YouTube playthrough before getting the opportunity to experience it. Just expect to be treated to a thoroughly wonderful tale. Definitely consider checking it out.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Recommended
This is an incredible game. I started it with no expectations at all (as I mentioned before, I can't even remember why I'd flagged the game to look at), and have come away from it as one of my favourite games of 2016. It rather nicely book-ends the year for me with Pony Island, two utterly different games that both explore similar themes from extremely different angles. Completely charming, delightfully written, and extremely clever – stick this on your Christmas playlist.

NitroRad (Video Review)
I easily recommend the game to anyone who's been itching for more of that meta narrative after playing the likes of Pony Island or Undertale... Especially Undertale. I still consider OneShot to be one of the most powerful, original RPG Maker games I've ever played. And the remake only strengthens that bond between Niko and the player, making your decisions and uncertainties towards those decisions all the more taxing. (...) I'm only going to pray for the success of OneShot (to become the next Undertale).

This game did release before Undertale, but this remake is coming after. I also will throw out there the original has stuck with me even these years later, so has my personal recommendation as well. It never got the traction it should of gotten back when it released the freeware version originally, hoping with the game now being over twice as long with a lot of new stuff it might finally get the attention it deserves.

---

It made my top 10, but not my top 5.

That is certainly fair, and I do know it was a pretty good year for certain tastes of games. Even my top 5 barely reflects all the games I enjoyed this year.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
NO MOMODORA

NO MOMODORA

BPDgkxp.gif

I'm honestly surprised that it made to the top 15. RUtM is a great game and a huge improvement over the previous Momodora games, I think it'll be appreciated more in the future.

18 | The House in Fata Morgana (33 Points / 4.71 APS
That APS though.

Teggy

it's not call of doom

and i really appreciate that, i liked doom, i liked not having to reload, that you move fast and that you don't have a gun limit, but none of those things are original, inventive or impressive and doom 2016 does not really excel over its peers

it's just a well constructed shooter for sure and i don't mean to take away from what other people liked, but i forgot about it already

i liked rage more :p

You know what Doom is? Fun. That's my number one characteristic in ranking games. (Doom was not my #1, though).

I only have 2 games on the top 10, and the other 3 are on the 20s and 40s. I guess I'm not mainstream enough.

Civ 6 seems like the odd one out. Probably the biggest launch on Steam this year and didn't crack the top 20.

Indeed. Not my kind of game but it seems pretty popular here.

iosefe

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
(4 Points) - XCOM 2
(3 Points) - Hitman
(2 Points) - Starbound
(1 Point) - No Man's Sky

Miletius

Civ 6 seems like the odd one out. Probably the biggest launch on Steam this year and didn't crack the top 20.

Agreed. Civ VI not cracking top 10 was a surprise, not even top 20 was -- not expected.

I voted for SDV, Xcom2, Tyranny, Darkest Dungeon, and Doom (in that order I think). So I guess I'm pretty mainstream when it comes to taste. The days of being an iconoclast are gone.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Need a subtitle for the result thread

Vibranium

Banned
I only played one new game last year so I didn't vote. I'm happy that Stardew Valley got 3rd, I will play it after me RE adventures.

zkylon

zkylewd
You know what Doom is? Fun. That's my number one characteristic in ranking games. (Doom was not my #1, though).
sure, just don't assume it's objectively the most fun as i found a lot of other games way more entertaining, exciting and fun (like dragon's dogma or dark souls or xcom or even stardew valley)

but yeah all doom's got going for it is that it's "classic fun", which hey if u like it more power to you but for me that's nowhere near enough

Parsnip

I think it was working as intended on release (based on how complicated the poise stat actually was initially integrated), it's just that the community hated it, so they changed it up.
Can't watch the video, but reading up on it, it's a bit unclear what counts as an poise frames. Only weapons? Certain weapons? Specific attacks? Estus?

If you can't chug estus through attacks while wearing full havel set, poise might as well not exist for me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom