• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
He answered the question about the lack of flash sales/daily deals in the big sale events

We found that really short discounts made it difficult for many people to participate. By removing the flash sales, users can count on finding the best deals whenever they are able to visit the store during the sale.

No reason to doubt this since they have a mountain of data and an incentive to generate as much profit as they can.

Not that there was much doubt but I'm glad he reiterated that he thinks of this as a problem of filtering the right content to the right people rather than outright rejecting games.

Exactly. From his responses in the AMA I got the impression that he knows it still needs to be improved, even though I liked the last update they did to the store.

Nzyme32

Not that there was much doubt but I'm glad he reiterated that he thinks of this as a problem of filtering the right content to the right people rather than outright rejecting games.

Exactly. From his responses in the AMA I got the impression that he knows it still needs to be improved, even though I liked the last update they did to the store.

Same. The more tools available to users to filter what they want to see, and the correct process of presenting appropriate content will be ideal. Having said that it will always be impossible to present ALL of the correct content, from every developers since despite no shelf space, there is limited visual space to contend with. That for me is where outside curation will always be my mainstay, whether GAF, Youtubers, Friends etc

I'm honestly surprised by this answer

It's hard for me to reconcile this with reality

I fully understand the sentiment and that it will eventually work out, but they need to have an understanding of when a group of people are clearly reaching a breaking point of frustration. At that point they need to say something, even if it is just a quick acknowledgement

Plesiades

japasthebass said:
Any chance of a new IP that takes place in the half-life/portal universe? I feel like there's a lot of story left to be explored there. Thanks!
GabeNewellBellevue said:

This means nothing, but I'll take it. At least is some kind of acknowledgment that this universe exists. Immersive Sim starring Judith Mossman. Make it happen.

Platy

d3MXUK1.png

This hurts so much.

I like ricochet =(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
no one asked about gamepump having to go through greenlight

Could have phrased it "If there was a company like GAMEPUMP that wanted to bring Super Mario 64 to Steam, would you make it go through Greenlight?"

Vibranium

Banned
no one asked about gamepump having to go through greenlight

no one asked about why sale metagames are gone

:/

Gabe probably wouldn't have answered it anyways or gave a non-answer. I miss metagames and I still feel that Valve could do something creative and make even more money off of them.

I'd ask him if Valve would try to hash out a deal with EA to make Origin games available through Steam but I already know it ain't happening since EA don't want to do a Ubisoft.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Could have phrased it "If there was a company like GAMEPUMP that wanted to bring Super Mario 64 to Steam, would you make it go through Greenlight?"

Gamepump isnt Nintendo, or even an actual game publishing company until they actually publish a game, no matter how much SteamGaf wants to shill for it, even tho they were already fucked over by them.

If I go make Rhaknar Gamez rightt now, to publish my game "Wok cant read" (its a educational game btw), I would have to go through greenlight.

C4rter

Humble Key

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rust -- MB-894799355A70B2BA - Taken by Shalashaska

Grief.exe

Regarding the quality of the games being released on Steam:

There's really not a singular definition of quality, and what we've seen is that many different games appeal to different people. So we're trying to support the variety of games that people are interested in playing. We know we still have more work to do in filtering those games so the right games show up to the right customers.

They've essentially used a version of that answer since before Greenlight was ever released.

Nzyme32

Seems a lot of folk haven't noticed a whole bunch of comments from the rest of the Valve folk. Some interesting stuff in there

500 companies have signed up to use Lighthouse and some of them are making HMDs. A few of them have talked about that, but a bunch more will announce when they're ready.
As far as we know, everything is in place for any store to support the Vive. As part of your initial setup you would still install Steam to get the drivers, but Steam doesn't need to be running for the Vive to work.
The controller production line is still going strong and churning out controllers. The next line we're building is for the base stations we talked about at Dev Days. They'll start showing up later this year.
Using automation allows us to keep production local, which means our employees can be much more hands-on with the manufacturing process. That works a lot better with how Valve works, so we'll probably keep doing that going forward.

neoemonk

Legend of Heroes is such a mess. Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 on PC, but Cold Steel 1 and 2 on PS3/Vita only with 3 scheduled for PS4?

It's hard to collect all of these things!

Unai

It makes me think of how they handled that Steam user profile cache leak last year. They seemed to think that fixing it was enough, why say anything else?

I'm amused the idea that there are Valve employees monitoring communities though. Probably all of Steam's discussion boards and not SteamGAF.

I'm absolutely sure that Valve, at least, is monitoring the Steam Controller thread.

Nzyme32

Valve definitely fiends r/Dota2. Many bugs that are posted there are fixed within a day.

Reading what the other valve folk said suggests that the games are in very different places. Dota was getting the same problems while source 2 was being implemented. Now the same for CSGO, as they transition parts to source 2

why don't they post here?

is it because of jshackles?

It's because you're an anime cesspool :p

FoneBone

Misc Humble Bundle leftovers; note that Shadow Complex is a key for the Epic launcher, not Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FoneBone, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killing Floor - Chickenator DLC -- MB-71B64CBD735D7C2C
Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack 1 DLC -- MB-7F97ACD1D82E41DC
Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack 2 DLC -- MB-473417F79CB7C493
Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack 3 DLC -- MB-E06AF4E27A66A2E6
Shadow Complex Remastered -- MB-F3CD30A7D15DA66F - Taken by Smeagol. 4 entrants total.

Question: how do I relist a key if I wanted to change the giveaway parameters after the initial submission to ModBot (but before I post it in a thread?) I keep getting this:
The key you added... was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

oipic

If you enter into a modbot giveaway is there a way to cancel your entry? Curious about this.

From Stump's guide:

What happens if I enter for a raffle and discover I don't want it BEFORE the raffle is drawn for? How do I disqualify myself?

Again, I really must suggest that you take a few seconds to consider if you really want something before entering the raffle. But now that you've done it, you can disqualify yourself by sending a PM to ModBot with the subject line disqualify me and any body text. This will disqualify you from ALL outstanding raffles you have entered, and you will not be able to re-enter those raffles later.

Edit: ...and super-late, sorry (too slow with my formatting). :(

Teggy

Half the people who ask about idlemaster fixes are probably valve employees. Can't interrupt that steady stream of pennies.

I want "My Friend Pedro" to be as good as Max Payne 1 was back in the day.

I want to be able to blare out 90's hip hop while I stylish slay my enemies in a bullet ballet.

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Turnover -- MB-B2B176F7A9BE31EC - Taken by madjoki. 22 entrants total.

t1484753781z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom