• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a reminder, Gabe Newell will have an AMA at r/The_Gaben today at 3PM PST / 6 PM EST

t1484694000z4.png

Unlike the AMA thread on the main forum, I hope Steam-GAF can muster more than memes.

Something is definitely confirmed.

It looks like that Nvidia is giving away The Division or WD2 keys to GeForce Experience users. Again i got nothing but if you use it and you are subscribed to their newsletter check your email :D

I saw Wario64 tweet about it. I don't have GE installed and my PC is dismantled right now, so can't even try to install it/subscribe now (don't think that would even work anyway).

Having Nvidia bloatware paid off for some people today.

dex3108

I saw Wario64 tweet about it. I don't have GE installed and my PC is dismantled right now, so can't even try to install it/subscribe now (don't think that would even work anyway).

Having Nvidia bloatware paid off for some people today.

They are doing giveaways often. They gave away Gears 4 and Obduction too.

madjoki

General
Game install folders can be moved to other Steam Library folders under Properties / Local Files
Fixed regression causing item issues in some Inventory Service games
Fixed loading workshop items in offline mode

Steam Controller
Added Open Big Picture controller action binding.
Fixed baseline Big Picture, Desktop, and Steam Chord configurations not checking the official configurations for appropriate controller type, which could result in improper configurations if the user had none selected.
Fixed configurations trying to queue multiple downloads of the same file which could result in an error.
Fix for PS4 turning off command when using Bluetooth in Windows 10.

Finally

I'm assuming this is U.S. only like every giveaway ever.

Yup.

Anteater

Steam Client Beta Update - January 17th, 2017
18 JANUARY - MARTINO_ADMIN

General
Game install folders can be moved to other Steam Library folders under Properties / Local Files
Fixed regression causing item issues in some Inventory Service games
Fixed loading workshop items in offline mode

Steam Controller
Added Open Big Picture controller action binding.
Fixed baseline Big Picture, Desktop, and Steam Chord configurations not checking the official configurations for appropriate controller type, which could result in improper configurations if the user had none selected.
Fixed configurations trying to queue multiple downloads of the same file which could result in an error.
Fix for PS4 turning off command when using Bluetooth in Windows 10.

that's dope

edit: motherfucker!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

It's an NES inspired Metroidvania (we need a better name for this) releasing on February 2nd. It's looking good.

First, that looks awesome. Second, I disagree that we need a new term for metroidvanias. Dont get me wrong, I dont particularly like the name, but its evoctinve and you know exactly what you are getting when you use it. Castlevania-like doesnt help because it might mean tis level based and not a backtracking joint. I guess technically you could just say " a metroid-like" I guess, but that doesnt really roll off the tongue.

Its like saying "Anime Fighter". I mean, its still a fighting game, but when you say anime fighter, you know what to expect, just like when you say metroidvania (and just like with metroidvania, its often wrongly used).

Amzin

I wonder if that means I can unbind Open BPM from my controller so it stops opening 25% of the time I turn my controller on

My god do I love Humble Bundle. I was waiting to see if they would add Victor Vran before buying it in their store and boom it pops up in a 1$ tier! I just bought 2 bundles and the monthly, hope they keep up the good work!

First, that looks awesome. Second, I disagree that we need a new term for metroidvanias. Dont get me wrong, I dont particularly like the name, but its evoctinve and you know exactly what you are getting when you use it. Castlevania-like doesnt help because it might mean tis level based and not a backtracking joint. I guess technically you could just say " a metroid-like" I guess, but that doesnt really roll off the tongue.

Technically, Metroid and Castlevania are platformers, but they do take elements of other games...one of their big commonalities is that map you try to fill out as you explore...

Mapformers.

There you go. That's free. You're all welcome.

Overgrowth is such an incredible game and I'm really glad it finally got a big update and progress is being made. Nothing out there that plays like it that I know of and the fighting feels so dynamic. Also some of the best blood splatter and drip tech.

Trying to do a running kick on someone and breaking your neck instead when you smack into the ground is hilarious. Getting slashed by a knife will make your character hold that wound and generally a good throw of any sharp weapon will be an instant kill.

oipic

Sometime in the past I would've been keen to hear what Newell had to say, but I just can't muster any interest nowadays. Valve, aside from my interest in (and dependence on?) their storefront, just seems to be heading in a direction that is, for me, increasingly irrelevant. *shrug*

PaulSane

Birthday giveaway with some decent older stuff and the newly crowned GOTY. It's free for all so enter for more than one. If I messed up a key or something let me know by PM and I'll sort it out.

Good luck.

Happy birthday!

DO YOU XANADU?
https://twitter.com/Aksys_Danny/status/821420038989021184

SHUT UP AND LET ME PRE-ORDER ALREADY!

I DO XANADU!
So, we're getting Trails 3rd and Tokyo Xanadu from Falcom this year, or am i missing something else? I know there are those 2 Ys and 2 Trails games that are coming to steam in chinese, but i'm not getting excited about those yet, since the situation with possible english translations that have been hinted at being considered isn't clear enough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I may not be as cool as Gabe Newell doing an AMA, but I can make this happen:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can ask why he hasn't hired the talented and charming creator of Enhanced Steam.

Haha well since he doesn't answer my emails, I doubt he would respond on Reddit either

Wok

We are continuing to use Source 2 as our primary game development environment. Aside from moving Dota 2 to the engine recently, we are are using it as the foundation of some unannounced products. We would like to have everyone working on games here at Valve to eventually be using the same engine. We also intend to continue to make the Source 2 engine work available to the broad developer community as we go, and to make it available free of charge.

"Unannounced products", possibly games, confirmed!

Thanks for the wishes folks. Appreciate it.

Someone ask Gabe about UWP. While it might be tinfoil hat stuff, a future in which Microsoft has planned obsolescence for Win32 would wreak havoc on Steam libraries. SteamOS was meant to be the counterweight to that but it would be nice to know what they think about the situation now.

Nzyme32

Products are usually the result of an intersection of technology that we think has traction, a group of people who want to work on that, and one of the game properties that feels like a natural playground for that set of technology and design challenges.
When we decided we needed to work on markets, free to play, and user generated content, Team Fortress seemed like the right place to do that. That work ended up informing everything we did in the multiplayer space.
Left 4 Dead is a good place for creating shared narratives.

I've been calling this one for quite a long time now. All the talk of Source 2 from GDC a couple of years back suggests this kind of direction with lots of people making their own and collaborating with others.

jshackles

Now that's what I like to see. Excellent addition.

Thanks. Once this is fully integrated, I should also be able to add "review score" as a sorting option on wishlists. Should be pretty useful I hope.

jshackles

I'm honestly surprised by this answer

It's hard for me to reconcile this with reality

I'm honestly surprised by this answer

It's hard for me to reconcile this with reality

It makes me think of how they handled that Steam user profile cache leak last year. They seemed to think that fixing it was enough, why say anything else?

I'm amused the idea that there are Valve employees monitoring communities though. Probably all of Steam's discussion boards and not SteamGAF.

jshackles

It makes me think of how they handled that Steam user profile cache leak last year. They seemed to think that fixing it was enough, why say anything else?

Exactly, or the myriad of other things that people have been asking for for years and are definitely possible and seem pretty straightforward (many of which are fixed with Enhanced Steam aka client-side javascript) that go unresolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom