• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished day 2 in Kathy Rain. It's probably the farthest I've ever come in a P&C on my own.
To preface, I've always wanted to like P&Cs, mostly out of nostalgia (I used to play them with my best friend on his computer +/-20 years ago), but I could never get into them. The remakes of the big classics generally annoy me because of their goofy puzzles, and the wadjet eye games are either too difficult (I got stuck in the first room of technobabylon) and/or too low res for me to enjoy.
Kathy Rain has the retro visuals, but looks a lot better than we games, you always know what the stuff you're looking at is portraying. The puzzles are logical (well except
the high tech scanner, which is able to record sound
) and strike a good balance in terms of difficulty. Most importantly, the detective story is really nice to follow so far.
I wonder where all this is going. At first I thought aliens (the air base and the strange lights), but then there was this weird vampire guy in heir dreams, or maybe it's all about hallucination inducing flowers?

Amzin

They're essentially just cutscenes, and IMO pretty well done, but that obviously subjective. Still, there's more downtime in practically any other game that isn't an 80s arcade game, so it always seemed like a weird overreaction to me.

I didn't like the fact that it gave me control for no reason. If it had actually BEEN a cutscene the whole time (instead of making me do the sluggish walking that felt awful compared to the rest of the game) it would have been more tolerable. This is reinforced by the fact that most of them have segments near the end where you suddenly ARE on autopilot. There's no secrets to find, nothing to interact with, literally nothing you can do except accidentally slow yourself down, and then they go and show you how pointless it was to make you control it in the first place. I don't mind the exposition, I mind making me do something for no reason. Tedium.

Nabs

I guess I missed the announcement: Throwback FPS DUSK is coming out this year. It features a single player campaign, arena mp, and an endless survival mode. Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

Streamers have access to the pre-alpha, so you can watch some videos from your fav youtubers. I watched Polygon play some and it looked really good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I guess I missed the announcement: Throwback FPS DUSK is coming out this year. It features a single player campaign, arena mp, and an endless survival mode. Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

Streamers have access to the pre-alpha, so you can watch some videos from your fav youtubers. I watched Polygon play some and it looked really good.

29597209962_c268dc52a7_o.gif

Looks so good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Something seriously wrong with ModBot's reposting if that's what's happening haha

Edit: Actually seems to be an issue with the edit queue, one sec.

Eanan

How is Dead Rising 4 PC optimisation? Is it very resource intense?

Cos saw its like €10 for the PC digital deluxe edition on the windows store if you do a 2 minute nifty trick of changing locale to Switzerland.

Cos saw its like €10 for the PC digital deluxe edition on the windows store if you do a 2 minute nifty trick of changing locale to Switzerland.

mucRNgD.gif

Save the money and spend it on a store that's not objectively terrible. You won't be stuck with the crappy UWP version of the game, either.

Axass

Impressions on two freeware games I played a few days ago. Links to play the games in the images.

More than a game Atum's an artsy experiment, one that uses the interactivity of gaming to make a point about philosophical concepts.The game surely manages to do so, locking you in an endless cycle of interactions between you and yourself, a neverending loop that always brings you back to the starting point: perfect gaming representation of a "Klein Bottle" or of a "Möbius Strip". The gameplay is quite basic and lacking though, like most of the presentation: it's a means to an end, that the developer tries to spruce up with some nicely made interactive 4th wall breaking, so to lessen its dullness. Game's free and short though, I advise to try it.

A freeware based on a single, albeit interesting, mechanic: rewinding time to create a series of copies of yourself, each used to perform a different action, so as to reach the end of every puzzle room. In fact, it may very well be one of the few games which can be said to employ single player coop, together with Braid and Cursor*10. The peculiar gameplay mechanic is explored in a bunch of different ways, however one can't help but think that in the end the result is quite shallow: you could build many sizable games on this concept alone. The execution also leaves a lot to be desired: the graphics are stylized but still technically unimpressive, plus there are some bugs that hinder the normal progress.

Nzyme32

mucRNgD.gif

Save the money and spend it on a store that's not objectively terrible. You won't be stuck with the crappy UWP version of the game, either.

I think what will become a continuing demonstration of the difference between UWP Windows Store versions vs PC Win32 vendors like Steam will be mods and fixes.

RE7 will get VR support via mods before the exclusivity period ends I'm sure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I see the ModBot glitch. One sec, I'll fix it. Has to do with some changes I made before the holiday.

Edit: Fixed.

If you were confused by ModBot eating your keys when you tried to update an old, unclaimed key to a new giveaway, this bug is fixed. You do not need to nuke old keys or do anything else in this case.

(Edit: Going to tag The_Super_Inframan on this)

I hate the sniper fight in Furi so much. It takes so long to get back to the phases that are difficult and then I just get wrecked and learn almost nothing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So speaking of ModBot, the "turd" list for ModBot hasn't been updated in a long time. I, uh, recognize that this is probably a pretty impossible task in light of the number of turds available now. Any ideas about how to make this feature useful again in 2017? Maybe automatically add things with sufficiently bad reviews?

Any beautiful Europeans want to buy me a 10 CHF xbox live code for Dead Rising 4 and I'll buy you a game on steam up to 15 dollars? Think that's a 5 dollar bonus.

Urishizu

Hi All!

To celebrate the release of my game Outbreak on Steam, I wanted to give away a couple codes in a raffle. Outbreak is a multiplayer cooperative survival horror game that should remind you of the classics from the 90s and early 2000s. It's brutally difficult including rough inventory management, challenging enemies and some good fun along the way. Very excited to hear what folks think and I may make a repeat apperance if folks are interested in this raffle. Thanks!

You can find out more about the game on the Steam page.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Urishizu:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330112.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Urishizu, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Outbreak -- MB-A194F9E01CFA3DA0
Outbreak #2 -- MB-F78672D9C2B8FB88
Outbreak #3 -- MB-033D8F1020B3941B

t1484799301z1.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I see the ModBot glitch. One sec, I'll fix it. Has to do with some changes I made before the holiday.

Edit: Fixed.

If you were confused by ModBot eating your keys when you tried to update an old, unclaimed key to a new giveaway, this bug is fixed. You do not need to nuke old keys or do anything else in this case.

(Edit: Going to tag The_Super_Inframan on this)

thanks for that, I made the mistake to try to update the keys two times without realizing that the "automatic repost" would still appear even if I don't post the giveaway :p sorry...

Ozium

So speaking of ModBot, the "turd" list for ModBot hasn't been updated in a long time. I, uh, recognize that this is probably a pretty impossible task in light of the number of turds available now. Any ideas about how to make this feature useful again in 2017? Maybe automatically add things with sufficiently bad reviews?

just makes the turd icon for mostly negative reviewed games

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Overwhelmingly Negative games sure, those are automatically turds sure, but Mostly Negative can have flaws. I know a lot of people were disappointed with No Man's Sky for example, but a turd it is not. Let's also not forget that some games can get attacked out of spite and downvoted heavily.

Parsnip

Played through RE Zero for the first time since 2002. On easy to familiarize myself with the game again so no result screen and time taken, but man I really hate the item system in it.

I should probably try the leech hunter modes and such next.

Played through RE Zero for the first time since 2002. On easy to familiarize myself with the game again so no result screen and time taken, but man I really hate the item system in it.

I should probably try the leech hunter modes and such next.

RE0 was fun for a one time run in a decade. I will probably never play it again though.

ArjanN

I didn't like the fact that it gave me control for no reason. If it had actually BEEN a cutscene the whole time (instead of making me do the sluggish walking that felt awful compared to the rest of the game) it would have been more tolerable. This is reinforced by the fact that most of them have segments near the end where you suddenly ARE on autopilot. There's no secrets to find, nothing to interact with, literally nothing you can do except accidentally slow yourself down, and then they go and show you how pointless it was to make you control it in the first place. I don't mind the exposition, I mind making me do something for no reason. Tedium.

But you can hit a button to make the character auto-walk and turn it into a cutscene, also there actually are a couple of secrets in the walking sections.

Overwhelmingly Negative games sure, those are automatically turds sure, but Mostly Negative can have flaws. I know a lot of people were disappointed with No Man's Sky for example, but a turd it is not. Let's also not forget that some games can get attacked out of spite and downvoted heavily.

Yeah, Steam reviews are very reactionary, any game with any sort of controveresy around it often has lots of people reviewing negatively out of spite or to prove some sort of point.

The final phase of that sniper fight in Furi is so, so much harder than anything else in the game to this point and having to entirely restart is maddening given it takes 10-15 minutes to get back there only to be able to practice for a minute.

Jawmuncher

The final phase of that sniper fight in Furi is so, so much harder than anything else in the game to this point and having to entirely restart is maddening given it takes 10-15 minutes to get back there only to be able to practice for a minute.

This is why I didn't like Furi all too much on PS4. I like the idea, but it felt way to stiff sometimes with how the bosses would go to each phase. Plus with how long they could be, it just gets annoying rather than a good kind of challenging in my eyes.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Plazma Being -- MB-100F44DD0D9C6816

AHA-Lambda

This is why I didn't like Furi all too much on PS4. I like the idea, but it felt way to stiff sometimes with how the bosses would go to each phase. Plus with how long they could be, it just gets annoying rather than a good kind of challenging in my eyes.

This was my problem with it largely. I don't mind hard games but when boss fights take like ~20 mins to attempt and you keep having to replay 90% of a fight to fail continuously at the last stages I just give up.

I dropped to easy mode, and despite the game's "shaming" me for doing so I couldn't care less.

dot

I gave up on the 3rd boss and haven't went back since lol.

ArjanN

This was my problem with it largely. I don't mind hard games but when boss fights take like ~20 mins to attempt and you keep having to replay 90% of a fight to fail continuously at the last stages I just give up.

I dropped to easy mode, and despite the game's "shaming" me for doing so I couldn't care less.

i felt this way at first but after playing more you realize just you're not fighting effectively enough and most of the fights you can actually beat in a fraction of the time once you fully understand the mechanics.

Been playing Telltale's Batman on Xbox One. This game runs and looks like shit. Some NPC look like they came from a PS2 game, wtf.

Is the PC version any better?

Teggy

Been playing Telltale's Batman on Xbox One. This game runs and looks like shit. Some NPC look like they came from a PS2 game, wtf.

Is the PC version any better?

I'll tell you what's not better - the iPad version. They "optimized" it for older models and succeeded in making it almost unplayable.

I just find the sniper fight annoying as I have a hard time figuring out the key to trapping her in the arena in the phases where she runs away so it takes a long time to get back to the really tough part at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom