• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ya, was going to say

Names and pics didn't match at all lol

hm, games that weren't taken from old giveaways are not being listed in the post but Modbot said they where updated... no clue whats going on

getting this but without new codes

qI2F7r9.png

NEO0MJ

I was just about to post about the whole Castle of Illusion thing. Is there nothing that can be done about it?

What's the story behind this gif?

When Amir0x used to be a mod he got into an argument with a poster about how he never lies or something like that and went back to his old posts and edited them but because the other poster already had screenshots he was caught and demoted.

Endruen

When Amir0x used to be a mod he got into an argument with a poster about how he never lies or something like that and went back to his old posts and edited them but because the other poster already had screenshots he was caught and revoked.

FTFY.

Pixieking

Banned
I was just about to post about the whole Castle of Illusion thing. Is there nothing that can be done about it?

*shrugs* All of the revocation notices (and these purchases are across multiple stores) say there's been an issue with payments, right? So I would assume Sega have decided to ban a ton of codes due to G2A/Kinguin issues. In which case, we can't do anything but complain, and hope that Sega generate new Steam keys for everyone who legitimately bought the game.

Only an assumption, mind you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This castle of illusion stuff made me boot it up, played the first world and its really good. Looks fantastic, gameplay is good, I like the narration. Is the only problem that its short? I finished that first world in 30mins so im assuming its quite short.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This castle of illusion stuff made me boot it up, played the first world and its really good. Looks fantastic, gameplay is good, I like the narration. Is the only problem that its short? I finished that first world in 30mins so im assuming its quite short.

I played it a few years ago, it's not very long. I beat it in about a couple hours.

It's pretty good though, I have fond memories of it.

Blu(e)

I believe it took me around three hours to beat it on PS3.

My steam copy was revoked as well so I can't replay it if I wanted too.

When Amir0x used to be a mod he got into an argument with a poster about how he never lies or something like that and went back to his old posts and edited them but because the other poster already had screenshots he was caught and demoted.
I think it was he said he never called people liars and edited his old posts ( like months old) but yeah basically that. Don't know why he thought he could get away with that.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member

The delay on jumping is rough but other than that it's great. Takes about 1.5-2h to finish.

Salsa

I beat that new Castle of Illusion for my lil niece to watch through it when she was like 3. had an alright time with it

Pachimari

Just checked, and Castle of Illusion is still in my library, although I don't remember where I bought it from. I'm installing it now.

Hektor

Who did you guys think it was? SEGA is the publisher so the revoking would always come from them, that's not much of a discovery lol.

I would think that's strange as i don't see what SEGA would gain by doing this. Not like i'll be buying a new copy on the steam store now with it being removed and all.

Tizoc

It is short. I personally like short games and this game felt as lengthy as the original Genesis game it is based on if not a little longer :p

Who did you guys think it was? SEGA is the publisher so the revoking would always come from them, that's not much of a discovery lol.

The instant I read about this I suspected SEGA goofing up is the cause.

Last phrase of the boss fights in Furi can be really frustrating because they throw in new and totally different bullet patterns. If you fail you have to go through the entire fight from the beginning without being able to further practice the crazy stuff.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I would think that's strange as i don't see what SEGA would gain by doing this. Not like i'll be buying a new copy on the steam store now with it being removed and all.

You might have to assume it's the possibility that doesn't include them being evil for evil's sake.

What it'll probably be is that they casted too wide a net when trying to revoke keys that were fraudulently obtained.

Amzin

I said something like this a few days ago but yea, Furi is one of the multitude of indie games I've played lately where it's good, but there's really dumb design decisions.

The arbitrarily slow walking made doubly arbitrary by the fact that 30% of it is actually a cutscene, so why bother with the other bits?

Your "lifebars" aren't actually lifebars but checkpoints on a limited-reuse system in disguise. There's a reason most games have gone away from limiting lives / continues. Having to redo 2-4 easy segments to retry the one hard one because you f'd up 3 whole times is obnoxious. But if you're good at the game, the amount never comes into play at all, so the whole limitation is only there to frustrate less-good players.

The "best" way to fight is super unintuitive. Perfect perries are actually worse than normal perries most of the time, you do more damage just shooting constantly at point blank range than swinging your sword, etc.

The game is still alright, but tedium for the sake of tedium is always a terrible choice. Again, tedium is not difficulty, and vice versa. It can be a fine line sometimes but sometimes it's super obvious, too :p

Backlogger

c1e6cf106aa5c84fc7e814d2472b0116.png

I'm going to secure it on my computer~

Given I didn't buy a key from somewhere, I bought the game off Steam. But just in case~

Are some keys getting revoked or something? Can't remember but I may have bought mine on GMG (before it was officially removed though)

Edit: Damn, getting caught up now :(

Edit2: I still have mine.

Teggy

So what's the early word on RE7? I don't want to go into that impressions thread and tiptoe through all the spoilers.

I said something like this a few days ago but yea, Furi is one of the multitude of indie games I've played lately where it's good, but there's really dumb design decisions.

The arbitrarily slow walking made doubly arbitrary by the fact that 30% of it is actually a cutscene, so why bother with the other bits?

Your "lifebars" aren't actually lifebars but checkpoints on a limited-reuse system in disguise. There's a reason most games have gone away from limiting lives / continues. Having to redo 2-4 easy segments to retry the one hard one because you f'd up 3 whole times is obnoxious. But if you're good at the game, the amount never comes into play at all, so the whole limitation is only there to frustrate less-good players.

The "best" way to fight is super unintuitive. Perfect perries are actually worse than normal perries most of the time, you do more damage just shooting constantly at point blank range than swinging your sword, etc.

The game is still alright, but tedium for the sake of tedium is always a terrible choice. Again, tedium is not difficulty, and vice versa. It can be a fine line sometimes but sometimes it's super obvious, too :p

I couldn't get through it for these reasons. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get into it. Fortunately I played it via PS+, so no big loss there. The soundtrack is great though.

Amzin

I couldn't get through it for these reasons. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get into it. Fortunately I played it via PS+, so no big loss there. The soundtrack is great though.

Yea. It seems to be a common oversight in games I've played lately. Makes it even harder to tolerate when it keeps happening. I'm like 80% through Furi and it's hard to want to keep going.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's about time for everyone to drop what they're doing and send a PM to MRORANGE with your review (or mini-review) of a game that's coming out next month for the February thread.

Some ideas
Drop him a PM to make sure someone else isn't already writing about that game, then go nuts and have fun with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you bought RE7 from cdkeys, apparently the keys are region locked now. So you'll have to refund or ask jasec the specifics.

Still haven't bought myself. Waiting on the preload.

Well, CD Keys' product page says they're "European" keys, however there's no blanket European sub, so they're tied to either the runtime-restricted sub intended for the usual cheaper territories or the activation-restricted ROW sub. Probably the former.

It's about time for everyone to drop what they're doing and send a PM to MRORANGE with your review (or mini-review) of a game that's coming out next month for the February thread.

Some ideas
Drop him a PM to make sure someone else isn't already writing about that game, then go nuts and have fun with it.
I didn't know there is a new sniper elite coming out, nice!

MUnited83

For you.
It's quite likely it wasn't on purpose. I'd say almost 100℅ that it's just a mistake.

JaseC

So, a few weeks ago I asked Valve about the definition of an active account as I've always thought it rather stupid that as per Steam Dev Days 2014 it went from being an account that has been online in the past 30 days and owns a game to an account that has been online in the past 90 days or owns a game, meaning that dormant accounts with an owned game were retroactively considered active. Turns out, Nathaniel Blue misspoke and Valve just bumped up the number of days from 30 to 90: an active account is one that has been online in the past 90 days and owns a game.

madjoki

Castle of Illusion:

DLgamer has replied that keys will be reactivated within 48 hours:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/22760...22041361/?tscn=1484768014#c143387886722481487

Well, CD Keys' product page says they're "European" keys, however there's no blanket European sub, so they're tied to either the runtime-restricted sub intended for the usual cheaper territories or the activation-restricted ROW sub. Probably the former.

https://steamdb.info/sub/142114/

My guess is this SUB, it's EMEA, like 'EU' keys for Mafia 3 and Civ 6 from same site.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the story behind this gif?

Ami's tenure as a moderator ended when he entered a LTTP 3DS thread and, as he normally did, got into an argument. The argument was about basically was the 3DS' 3D any good. People took both sides. Someone claimed that the 3DS' 3D was bad because it was very easy to break--a point Ami agreed with (and I think later vindicated by the improvements to face-tracking 3D in the New 3DS). Other users disagreed and said their experiences were good. Ami essentially called these people liars. Another user called Ami out for constantly calling people liars. Ami responded that he never calls people liars. The user who called Ami out for constantly calling people liars discovered that Ami had edited a bunch of his posts where he called people liars in order to win the argument. His moderator status was removed as a result.

[Note: The thing that gets a moderator demoted is rarely the only consideration, it's typically a "last straw" type situation--and I say that without passing judgment on whether the demotion is a good thing or not, just the basic idea that there's always some kind of disagreement or tension or issue before that moment]

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
So, a few weeks ago I asked Valve about the definition of an active account as I've always thought it rather stupid that as per Steam Dev Days 2014 it went from being an account that has been online in the past 30 days and owns a game to an account that has been online in the past 90 days or owns a game, meaning that dormant accounts with an owned game were retroactively considered active. Turns out, Nathaniel Blue misspoke and Valve just bumped up the number of days from 30 to 90: an active account is one that has been online in the past 90 days and owns a game.
It still seems arbitrary, like when companies says X products shipped. And also smurf accounts etc.
It's a PR number.

Volimar

Some ideas

How was Sniper Elite 3 btw?

Salsa

I keep spending money on RL keys and getting crap when opening crates instead of gaming the system and gettin what I want through market and stuff

I guess I know what this crate shit feels like now.

JaseC

It still seems arbitrary, like when companies says X products shipped. And also smurf accounts etc.
It's a PR number.

Yeah, I think 90 days is too generous, but the number of abandoned or otherwise long dormant accounts that haven't been used in over 90 days is probably no small number. If nothing else, it's nice that my original account, which I lost access to over a decade ago, isn't actually considered active simply because I registered a Half-Life Platinum Pack key one afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom