• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

I turn to the gaming side today for the first time and there's like three threads basically tailor made to make people shit on PC gaming lol. Wtf is going on.

24 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Bother With PC Gaming in 2017.

Seriously, why even bother with these PC threads in gaming.

#2. You're going to spend at minimum 6 hours before starting a game on the settings menu to make sure the game can even run on your PC! The amount of time is increased if it's a AAA title.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any word on if there will be Nvidia drivers and/or an Nvidia guide for RE7?

I'm fairly certain only The Way It's Meant to Be Played titles are given the performance guide treatment, a group to which RE7 doesn't belong.

Parsnip

Fuck you piece of shit last boss, and cunt last zone, stupid game I hate you...

... super excited to start 13-2, not even joking lol :D

I played 13 and 13-2 back to back and enjoyed my time with 13-2 so much more I can't even quantify it. Even Serah was good, despite how she came across in 13. I hope you like it.

Here's a couple random screenshots I took as well. White mage costume is the best.

ffxiii_2_2016_01_03_18_23_43_1_by_majorparsnip-dawgjiv.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_03_19_02_49_4_by_majorparsnip-dawgjip.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_03_21_42_10_10_by_majorparsnip-dawgjii.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_06_16_47_37_0_by_majorparsnip-dawgjia.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_06_16_47_49_1_by_majorparsnip-dawgji4.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_06_18_15_49_0_by_majorparsnip-dawgjhy.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_09_00_14_37_3_by_majorparsnip-dawgjhs.jpg
ffxiii_2_2016_01_09_00_33_33_6_by_majorparsnip-dawgjjo.jpg

Phinor

RE7 getting great reviews. Torn on getting it or Yakuza 0.

Curious to know how RE7 runs on PC.

How did the demo run on PC?

I don't care about either franchise, at all.

My Yakuza 0 is already shipped and should be here later this week, currently installing RE7 demo. Slow start to gaming in 2017 makes you (me) do crazy things..

That thread is just horrible.

Legitmate excuses: Just not interested, I'm satisfied with my consoles, I like PS and Nintendo exclusives more, Just not in the budget for me right now, I play where my friends are and they play on consoles, I didn't have a great experience when I did play on PC but I might try again in the future

Terrible excuses: I don't want to tinker with settings and drivers for 30 hours, the only benefit is graphical power and nothing else so why even bother, I'm not slopping in a chair to play on PC and id rather lay on the comfy couch and play (PC cant provide me that), I'm not spending $3000 to play the division a little better, PC gaming disgust me and of course windows is a trash heap that gives me 24 reasons to hate PC gaming.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm fairly certain only The Way It's Meant to Be Played titles are given the performance guide treatment, a group to which RE7 doesn't belong.

Compared to PS4 performance (60fps at all times correct?) I found PC performance pretty hit and miss on the demo, so I was hoping for a report on the relative impact of different settings. I'll probably just spend a good bit of time fiddling with settings. Thanks bud.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone know how RE7 controls with keyboard and mouse? If it has tank like movements/controls Im definitely using a controller.

I mean, there's a demo, you can see that for yourself.

It's a first person game, it's not tank like. Controls like most other FPS games, though some of the menus of the demo are a little wonky.

My favorite is this bullet point:

I've mentioned it before, and I apologize if I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but I abandoned PC as a gaming platform around 2004 - 2005 for several reasons.

5 - I'm sick of managing stuff on my PC. I'm tired of folders, tired of mods, tired of drivers, tired of tweaking ini files, tired of fiddling with options just to get games to run, tired of periodic reformats, tired of installing every goddamned thing... I grew up in the 70s and 80s. I love popping in a game and going.

First, consoles now have folders and are more infuriating to move and create compared to a PC. Second, while fiddling with .ini files can be tricky, mods are still easy to enable, especially through Steam Workshop...or you can just not use mods like on consoles. Third, some games have a benchmark test and set the right config for the game. And last but not least, tired of installing everything can be said towards today's consoles with some patches needed to be installed or you're cut out of any online features for the game. It's very rare that you can pop in a game and play.

Nyoro SF

XSEED/Marvelous USA PC status update:

Trails in the Sky 3rd is chugging along and should be out in Spring 2017. Benefits of being able to do all the PC work in-house without having to rely on Falcom and the ability to edit and test all work locally.

There are four unknown apps in the steamdb. From their past releases and personal guesses, I think three of these titles are:
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Akiba's Beat
Fate/Extella or another one of Marvelous's Vita titles?

As for the fourth (427700) is an interesting title, because it was added to XSEED's registry over a year ago directly next to another unknown title (427680). However 427680 hasn't moved in a while, while this title is at the top. I'm curious as to what this title is most of all.

Ascheroth

Trails in the Sky 3rd is chugging along and should be out in Spring 2017. Benefits of being able to do all the PC work in-house without having to rely on Falcom and the ability to edit and test all work locally.

There are four unknown apps in the steamdb. From their past releases and personal guesses, I think three of these titles are:
Akiba's Beat

As for the fourth (427700) is an interesting title, because it was added to XSEED's registry over a year ago directly next to another unknown title (427680). However 427680 hasn't moved in a while, while this title is at the top. I'm curious as to what this title is most of all.

Ha, and I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how 3rd is coming along. Spring would be ideal, since that would be a good time apart from Tokyo Xandu.

I wonder if they're going to address save-importing from the PSP version since stuff does carry over and 3rd is now PC only.

Very curious what their other titles are going to be.

Tizoc

Akiba's Beat

Gimme some of dat classic Falcom goodness please.
I'd settle for Ys Seven and 4 MoC, but gimme some of dat classic goodness first

Knurek

That's obviously either Ao/Zero or Sen/Sen2.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Japan box art for Dark Souls III the fire fades edition:

XCjyyWd.jpg

200_s.gif

From is so damn good.

After the first DLC for the game being disappointing and after playing Nioh Last Chance demo my interest in returning to DS3 are dried up.

Nyoro SF

Ha, and I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how 3rd is coming along. Spring would be ideal, since that would be a good time apart from Tokyo Xandu.

I wonder if they're going to address save-importing from the PSP version since stuff does carry over and 3rd is now PC only.

Very curious what their other titles are going to be.

From what I'm told, the 3rd's save import only checks your level and gives you bonus items based on that. So what you can do is, check your PSP save to see what level you are at, and people will give you the appropriate save to use in the PC thread. From what I understand there's only one tier of bonuses, so it should be pretty easy for someone to share you the save you need. Save swapping for PC in these games is very easy.

Gimme some of dat classic Falcom goodness please.

I'd settle for Ys Seven and 4 MoC, but gimme some of dat classic goodness first

Anything from the Falcom library is fine by me. However I don't think people are supporting old Falcom titles on Steam in English anymore. I think 3rd is going to be the last one. A localization company is not going to keep working on and releasing titles with very lackluster results. Xanadu Next to me was the last chance for users to demonstrate support and it failed. And it's a shame because at this point I think Xanadu Next is by far Falcom's coolest game.

Nzyme32

The struggle is real in trying to keep up with a game you left for too long and can't quite recall exactly what was going on

Nyoro SF

Are you using the fps fix? You can also disable the HUDs by editting an .ini file.

Yes, it is highly recommended to follow the guide on Steam for fixing the framerate to 60 (never tried going higher than 60). You have to make a few edits to make sure you can do things like revive, but it shouldn't take more than a minute.

Killer is Dead has one of the most open .ini files I've ever seen in gaming, you can manipulate pretty much everything from it.

Ascheroth

From what I'm told, the 3rd's save import only checks your level and gives you bonus items based on that. So what you can do is, check your PSP save to see what level you are at, and people will give you the appropriate save to use in the PC thread. From what I understand there's only one tier of bonuses, so it should be pretty easy for someone to share you the save you need. Save swapping for PC in these games is very easy.

Anything from the Falcom library is fine by me. However I don't think people are supporting old Falcom titles on Steam in English anymore. I think 3rd is going to be the last one. A localization company is not going to keep working on and releasing titles with very lackluster results. Xanadu Next to me was the last chance for users to demonstrate support and it failed. And it's a shame because at this point I think Xanadu Next is by far Falcom's coolest game.

Ah I see. I thought it might have some quest or NPC stuff carry over like FC to SC, which would have made things a bit more troublesome, but I guess it makes sense since FC and SC wrap up nearly everything.

It's a shame how Xanadu Next did, though I understand that it's a hard sell.
But I also think that XSeed really needs to have some better marketing for these titles instead of just dropping them a week after the 'it's ready' announcement. It doesn't matter how good a game is if no one knows it exists.
Though I suppose it's a difficult decision to decide how much money to spend on marketing for a game you don't expect to light the sales chart on fire. But they still need to change something going forward.

Tizoc

Ah I see. I thought it might have some quest or NPC stuff carry over like FC to SC, which would have made things a bit more troublesome, but I guess it makes sense since FC and SC wrap up nearly everything.

It's a shame how Xanadu Next did, though I understand that it's a hard sell.
But I also think that XSeed really needs to have some better marketing for these titles instead of just dropping them a week after the 'it's ready' announcement. It doesn't matter how good a game is if no one knows it exists.
Though I suppose it's a difficult decision to decide how much money to spend on marketing for a game you don't expect to light the sales chart on fire. But they still need to change something going forward.

Why not just offer keys to YT reviewers? There are various credible reviewers out there, Jim Sterling, LGR, TotalBiscuit, to name a few.

Ascheroth

Why not just offer keys to YT reviewers? There are various credible reviewers out there, Jim Sterling, LGR, TotalBiscuit, to name a few.

Yeah, that would be one option.
It hurts me to say it, but the time where you could just drop any japanese game on steam without doing anything and it would sell are over.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So many Final Fantasy games. Anyone out there actually play all of them?

like originally? Im sure many have. I only got into them starting with the ps1 so I didnt play 1-6, but ill fix that with the stem releases (well not 1 and 2)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The struggle is real in trying to keep up with a game you left for too long and can't quite recall exactly what was going on

my "unfinished" category on steam might aswell not exist and I should move all those games to "unplayed", whe / if I go back to them, im going to have to restart anyway.

edit: double post because I completly forgot I had just posted...I just woke up, fu guys >_<

I played Grim Fandango for like 20 minutes and was bored to tears. I've never played a point-and-click adventure game... maybe you had to grow up with this stuff. It's like halfway between a movie and a game, and TBH I'd rather either just watch a movie or play a (more action-oriented) game.

I think Grim Fandango is a legitimately bad game with completely nonsensical puzzles that follow no thread of logic. There's a reason the genre died for so long.

Of course your issue seems more with the form of interaction which is a different issue.

Rhaknar

is Zodiac Age another X-2 or 13-2 thing? I didnt know they had so many non-numbered sequels, or direct sequels to numbered entries I guess.

Theres also that FF4 one too.

Ladekabel

I played Grim Fandango for like 20 minutes and was bored to tears. I've never played a point-and-click adventure game... maybe you had to grow up with this stuff. It's like halfway between a movie and a game, and TBH I'd rather either just watch a movie or play a (more action-oriented) game.

I'm feeling similar about Point'n'Click adventures. Only ones I can play are the first two Monkey Islands and Day of the Tentacle with the latter being one of my favorite games. There is a dynamic missing for me in the genre.

is Zodiac Age another X-2 or 13-2 thing? I didnt know they had so many non-numbered sequels, or direct sequels to numbered entries I guess.

It's an HD remaster of the good version of FF12. Has a cool job system and super convenient fast forward to make trash mobs and running through towns not shitty.

It's probably the best game released with Final Fantasy in the name since the PS1.

Hektor

The Zodiac Age is the formerly japanese exclusive director's cut version of FFXII called International Zodiac Job System Edition, it's the same game with rebalanced content and new features such as fast forward modes in battles etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom