• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, pointing fingers to make fun of others because they prefer consoles either because they are ignorant or lazy in regards to the benefits of pc gaming or just because they choose to play in those platforms is just as childish as many reasons given to avoid pc.

Pretty sure nobody here has any issues with which platform you play games on. Many in this thread itself have multiple platforms. You can even say that you prefer console gaming because you just like it better and that's fine too. Where it gets stupid is when people pull out nonsense reasons like $3000 PC, comfy couch gaming, non stop driver installations, high failure rate and stuff like that to prove that PC gaming is worse.

But you are right that there's no real point engaging in those kinds of threads. I suspect the number of people who are genuinely misinformed about PC gaming approaches zero. People who post alternate facts like this just use it to fuel their confirmation bias of console gaming being easier/cheaper/whatever.

Tellaerin

QZDBSUF.gif

edit
I've just realized that his nickname is mcrommert and not mrcomment

Me too now that you pointed it out.

I was reading it as "micromart". o_O

As far as that PC thread in gaming side goes, if people want to wallow in ignorance, let 'em. It's not like PC gaming's in danger of vanishing if the console diehards don't support the platform too.

Arulan

I want Fallout New Orleans, though POE2 is cool. I wish Bethesda would publish with Obsidian again.

Fallout is a fantastic setting, and I'd certainly love to see another real Fallout game, but it's extremely unlikely at this point. Also, what we can speculate into Obsidian's future includes a Vampire: The Masquerade RPG and a historically-focused RPG, both of which are very exciting to me.

I loved that mcrommert confirmed he doesn't play on PC.
You know, mcrommert.
image.php

The guy that was in every single Windows Store thread defending UWP to kingdom come from rabid Steam fanboys.

The obvious answer to the question: "Who could possibly like and defend the Windows Store and UWP"?

Xbox players who don't use it.

Knurek

Fuck me, Just Dance 2017 was 40% off during the weekend?
How the hell did I miss that?
Crap... I don't want to buy it on Uplay, but I kind of want to play it...

Well here's a nice story I just found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/5ppqy1/as_a_disabled_pc_gamer_i_want_to_say_thank_you/

It's about a disabled PC gamer who has had trouble playing games in the past because some games have hardcoded controller configurations and he is unable to use a controller fully. The new Steam update that lets every controller use the remapping feature has been a huge boon for him as it opens up the entire Steam library for him to play the way he can. This basically made his day. It's nice to see how much Valve is helping gamers by increasing accessibility and offering features like this.

maty

Pretty sure nobody here has any issues with which platform you play games on. Many in this thread itself have multiple platforms. You can even say that you prefer console gaming because you just like it better and that's fine too. Where it gets stupid is when people pull out nonsense reasons like $3000 PC, comfy couch gaming, non stop driver installations, high failure rate and stuff like that to prove that PC gaming is worse.

But you are right that there's no real point engaging in those kinds of threads. I suspect the number of people who are genuinely misinformed about PC gaming approaches zero. People who post alternate facts like this just use it to fuel their confirmation bias of console gaming being easier/cheaper/whatever.

Yes, you are correct. Many use nonsense reasons to dismiss pc gaming which is totally stupid. That's why instead of pointing out how wrong they are, the best course of action is just to give information about how easy it has become to do all the stuff they do on console but on pc. That way there might be someone who actually reads that and thinks "ok,why not?".

I grew up with consoles and while I played a few pc games when I was a kid I didn't have a clue about the wide variety of games available for the platform. Years later, here I am with over a 1000 games on steam and few hundred more on GOG, as well as some on the newest consoles. There is always something I want or enjoy on each platform.

Well here's a nice story I just found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/5ppqy1/as_a_disabled_pc_gamer_i_want_to_say_thank_you/

It's about a disabled PC gamer who has had trouble playing games in the past because some games have hardcoded controller configurations and he is unable to use a controller fully. The new Steam update that lets every controller use the remapping feature has been a huge boon for him as it opens up the entire Steam library for him to play the way he can. This basically made his day. It's nice to see how much Valve is helping gamers by increasing accessibility and offering features like this.

This is pretty awesome!!

gelf

It really is amazing that so many major Japanese titles still aren't coming to PC (FF15, Persona, Nioh etc) when Steam has shown how vibrant the community for these titles can be =/

Expecting most Japanese publishers to run on anything but their own weird insular logic is your first mistake. Even just in the console market they often make weird single platform exclusivity decisions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh wow, the
bullet hell shooter
bit in Evoland 2 was pretty good, if a little long.

edit: yoooo this
street fighter 2
bit after was amazing, had a smile on my face the whole time :D

Vibranium

Banned
Fallout is a fantastic setting, and I'd certainly love to see another real Fallout game, but it's extremely unlikely at this point. Also, what we can speculate into Obsidian's future includes a Vampire: The Masquerade RPG and a historically-focused RPG, both of which are very exciting to me.

Oh yeah, a new Vampire RPG would make many people happy.

bbd23

well I was going to avoid that console thread but I got curious....

don't go in there guys....

someone doesn't PC game because theres apparently a chance for the games to crash more often...crashing never happens on consoles!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
well I was going to avoid that console thread but I got curious....

don't go in there guys....

someone doesn't PC game because theres apparently a chance for the games to crash more often...crashing never happens on consoles!

In all honesty, I've had PS4 games crash more times than PC games in the past 2-3 year's time.

AHA-Lambda

Expecting most Japanese publishers to run on anything but their own weird insular logic is your first mistake. Even just in the console market they often make weird single platform exclusivity decisions.

I know but you'd like to think things would change now given how very niche japanese stuff like VNs have flourished on Steam now, that the big boys of the scene can see past just the PS4.
I'm sure many would agree that Nioh, FF15 and P5 would all do gangbusters on Steam =/

Tellaerin

oh wow, the
bullet hell shooter
bit in Evoland 2 was pretty good, if a little long.

edit: yoooo this
street fighter 2
bit after was amazing, had a smile on my face the whole time :D

All this Evoland 2 hype's making me want to play it.

Do I need to play the first one first to enjoy the story, or can I just jump in with 2?

For those who refuse to game on a Uplay, what holds you back?

Uplay.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All this Evoland 2 hype's making me want to play it.

Do I need to play the first one first to enjoy the story, or can I just jump in with 2?

Uplay.

not at all, they are completely unrelated as far as I can tell.

In all honesty, I've had PS4 games crash more times than PC games in the past 2-3 year's time.

Same Here. Actually just played last guardian a few days ago and it crashed on me. Crashing can happen with any system or device, but some people think its exclusive to PC for some reason :/

I had a BSOD the other day and saw that there was a QR code on the blue screen. First time I've ever seen that and it was kind of amusing. Was it feature added in Win 10? Who even uses QR codes anymore? :p

I know but you'd like to think things would change now given how very niche japanese stuff like VNs have flourished on Steam now, that the big boys of the scene can see past just the PS4.
I'm sure many would agree that Nioh, FF15 and P5 would all do gangbusters on Steam =/

I don't know about others, but the very thought of games such as Final Fantasy 15 and Persona 5 going to Steam makes me sick to the stomach.

Lomax

For those who refuse to game on a Uplay, what holds you back?

The original uPlay (still in games like Heroes VI) was a horrid always on system that was widely broken. The current uPlay has a tendency to eat game saves and do a poor job of updating games. That said, it generally functions decently enough, just can be an annoyance. I have a few games I've gotten on there cheap and played and since Steam just funnels you through uPlay anyway there's generally not any benefit to getting them elsewhere.

I had a BSOD the other day and saw that there was a QR code on the blue screen. First time I've ever seen that and it was kind of amusing. Was it feature added in Win 10? Who even uses QR codes anymore? :p

I thought the qr code on the blue screen was a cool idea until I scanned one and saw it literally just linked to a generic page with no specific information about the type of crash experienced whatsoever. And it may have been added in the anniversary update or some update recently because I never saw them in win 10 before the last month or two.

dex3108

The original uPlay (still in games like Heroes VI) was a horrid always on system that was widely broken. The current uPlay has a tendency to eat game saves and do a poor job of updating games. That said, it generally functions decently enough, just can be an annoyance. I have a few games I've gotten on there cheap and played and since Steam just funnels you through uPlay anyway there's generally not any benefit to getting them elsewhere.

Only really old games are still on old update system patch by patch installer. Even Blacklist is not on that system anymore. Also I think that they fixed cloud save issues. At least I didn't heard somebody complain in long time now.

The only Final Fantasy game on Steam I haven't played is Lightning Returns. The only ones I haven't beat are Lightning Returns, A Realm Reborn (is there even an "end" to this MMO?), Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

Given that Final Fantasy XI has an ending, A Realm Reborn would likely also have one eventually.

Vamphuntr

Can't believe people still don't know MMO have a plot and and end in 2017. Vanilla A Realm Reborn ends when you storm the evil empire base and destroy their evil Omega Weapon or whatever it's called.

Tellaerin

The second question on the psychopathy test: have you watched Advent Children and did you enjoy it?

Advent Children was enjoyable in a mindless action flick kind of way. I got more entertainment from it than I did from FF VII itself. (I could probably say the same thing about Crisis Core for PSP and that FPS thing with Vincent, come to think of it. That might be the most praise I can give VII: "It was the origin for some pretty okay spinoff stuff.")

Endruen

I also enjoyed Advent Children, although I didn't know anything from Final Fantasy VII at the time except what I learned from Kingdom Hearts.

Rhaknar

those "stingers" as Dusk calls them will be the death of me in RE7 :(

Its like they are constantly happening in the videos I've seen ;_;

AHA-Lambda

Woo hoo, £50 Amazon voucher lets me pick up new Styx and Mass Effect for £10 each :)

Yes, I will take a gamble on mass effect...

pislit

so its not a new game but rather a remixed version of 12? but 12 hd was alreaady announced months ago for ps4? im confused, was endruen just living under a rock? :3

It's Final Fantasy XII receiving a patch. Wait, it's A Real Reborn with all the balances like, actually making the magic spells break the 9999 barrier and making them AOE. Control guest party member, gambit galore . The original version of FFXII is an unbalanced mess.

For me personally, FFXII Zodiac is the best Final Fantasy gameplay-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom