• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
gotta repost this crazy kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

it's kind of criminal it's going so slow
The fact that people are backing this, in 2017, is kind of sad. Like you'd think people would at least have some experience with kickstarters to recognize blatant red flags

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm glad Beautiful Desolation is almost 50% funded. STASIS was amazing
7xoaWKF.png
H2zF4Zp.png

BsFc0cp.png
7e0kMvB.png

Arulan

^

Yeah, Beautiful Desolation looks great. I need to try CAYNE too.

I'm personally looking forward to the RPG Codex RPG GOTY awards. They're also voting for the period of 2012-2016, as it represents the recent incline in RPGs. This year marks the second-wave of this, namely with crowd-funded projects.

Dude, they have Uncharted at #5 and Last Guardian at #22. GAF would choke to death if they saw this.

They'd probably be shocked that an indie game could dare come close to Uncharted 4.

zkylon

zkylewd
The fact that people are backing this, in 2017, is kind of sad. Like you'd think people would at least have some experience with kickstarters to recognize blatant red flags

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm glad Beautiful Desolation is almost 50% funded. STASIS was amazing
idk, they have 30 days to convince me, i can back out at any time

for now i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt cos the concept sounds brilliant and the names are good

PaulSane

No one posted these yet?

(Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book)

(Nights of Azure)

To the wishlist they go, too bad no price yet.

Also, since Berseria's pre-load is up, is it better to pre-load and then wait for unpacking, or would it be faster to just download the game when it's unlocked? I remember reading here about unpacking taking a long time for some games, and i have very little experience with pre-loads myself since i rarely buy anything on release :)

Teeth

Have they ever done a post mortem or blog post on how they create the art for their games?

Like, are they manipulated photos or digitized miniatures or what? I just can't get enough of the look.

EDIT: Derp, just read the kickstarter page
African landscapes captured with photogrammetry
Extensive use of miniatures and scale model elements

Makes sense. Still masters of their style. I wish they'd make something other than adventure games...they just aren't for me.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I hope it can get the funding it needs off of Fig. I want Obsidian to do well as a company.

I'm disappointed it's a sequel to Pillars though, even if it does probably make the most sense.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's real. Polygon to the rescue! (They published their article early.)

It's on Fig though, not KS.
well, fig or whatever, it's cool

i should really play the pillars 1 dlc

pillars is such a great game

Is this the western version of [Project Phoenix]
i feel that there's definitely no lack of reasons to be weary of the apocalpyse now thing because of how short on information that kickstarter is but i wouldn't go that far

like based on the kickstarter page, the ppl making it are experienced in crowdfunding campaigns, jesawyer does lend it a lot of credibility (tho i know lawrence liberty from new vegas so at least that guy worked on something great too), and they seem to have a prototype running already

so idk, i'd definitely saw some things that didn't make me very confident but i'm basically putting my faith on josh and on the premise being too good to say no

project phoenix was a thing that was too good to be true, and i was a backer of that too, so i know what it means to be burned

i also know backing in kickstarter is not buying a game so i treat it as the patronage it's supposed to be (even tho both backers and makers treat it as some early access store thing). if they make the game that's awesome, and if they don't, i didn't give them that much money and i knew the risks going in

Pillars of eternity
Pillars of eternity 2
Tyranny
Torment tides of numenera
Divinity original sin
Divinity original sin 2
Age of decadence
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 3
the shadowrun games

These are some fucking great times for CRPGs
you forgot about dead state

you know that game only i cared about

Card Boy

Banned
Pillars of eternity
Pillars of eternity 2
Tyranny
Divinity original sin
Divinity original sin 2
Age of decadence
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 3
the shadowrun games

The Banner Saga 1, 2 and 3.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need to play Pillars but I've been waiting to get the dlc to play all, because otherwise I'll never play the dlc :/

Pillars of eternity
Pillars of eternity 2
Tyranny
Divinity original sin
Divinity original sin 2
Age of decadence
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 3
the shadowrun games

I checked out Wasteland 3's Fig campaign page, the screenshots are mighty pretty. I really should finish Wasteland 2 some day.

Arminsc

Already pledged for Beautiful Desolation. STASIS was amazing and the setting they have in mind looks so good!

Just tell them its 5000 year old dragons, it will be fine.
lmao

Yeah, I don't want to get fired haha

Durante

Mugen08

My guess is that the Apocalypse Now KS will be terminated early, progressing very slowly. One of the weirdest KS I've seen.

Deques

Got to Galuf's world in Final Fantasy V and escaped Exdeath's prison. I grinded a bit until got Bartz to level 6 Thief. I thought it was the last level for the class but there is one more level and it needs another 300 AP >.<

I guess I am done with being Thief

Durante

what kind of game is it?
The Atelier series are non-linear JRPGs with a more "slice-of-life" than "safe the world" tone, tons of optional quests, and a large gameplay focus on alchemy in addition to battles.

The alchemy system is completely different from anything I've seen in any other game. I generally am not a big fan of "crafting" systems, since they have little player agency and usually feel superfluous. However, the alchemy system (at least in the Dusk trilogy which preceded Sophie) is more strategic and almost has a puzzle game aspect if you try to optimize your items.

DDDA on normal is quite challenging, but extreme fun. Still fighting wolves, lizards, goblins and bandits but there are some very intense and satisfying battles. Looting is super fun too.

The vassals system is cool. But they dont level up, you have to keep them up to date by hiring frequently, right?

This is my first bigger game i play with an ssd, didnt know what i was missing, what a quantum jump. Plus new gfx giving me one smooth and beautiful fantasy world in 60 frames. I think im reaching gaming heaven. The animations, setting, artworks, music... Praise their MTF engine!

Just wow, the better Monster Hunter or xenoblade game in nearly all the comparable aspects.

I love it. Thanks Capcom.

Zeknurn

Is out in early access.

I'm watching a random twitch stream and it looks like it could scratch that dod / mohaa / cod 1 itch.

Knurek

I just hope Pillars->Pillars 2 is the same kind of quality jump BG1->BG2 was.
Can't say I have hope for that, given how crappy White March was, and Tyranny seems to be.
Obsidian should just make an RPG with no mandatory battles, like Age of Decadence, either they suck at making battle systems, or RTwP just plain sucks.

Durante

Right, that was the image I needed.

I just hope Pillars->Pillars 2 is the same kind of quality jump BG1->BG2 was.
Can't say I have hope for that, given how crappy White March was, and Tyranny seems to be.
Obsidian should just make an RPG with no mandatory battles, like Age of Decadence, either they suck at making battle systems, or RTwP just plain sucks.
It seems like the most likely explanation is that you suck. Should probably stick to VNs :p

Vazduh

Makes slightly more sense when you consider that it'll be going to PS4/X1 too, but that said, why L.A. Noire?????

Exactly. Of all the games...

I'll never forget how quickly my hype deflated when I started playing the game. One of the first sequences has you chasing a suspect in an alley and all you had to do was hold the "space" key and steer the policeman left and right. Space doubled as a sprint button and context sensitive button, which meant that the policeman just vaulted over obstacles automatically, sprinted, and it felt almost like an on-rails game. Gave it an hour or so more and then I just uninstalled it.

Knurek

It seems like the most likely explanation is that you suck. Should probably stick to VNs :p

Hey, man, I loved base Pillars, warts and all. And I don't automatically dislike wRPGs (loved both Witcher 3 and M&M:X).
Heck, up till the final chapter of PoE I even played on Normal, not on Story mode (the final dungeon with its difficulty spike was enough to make me switch though)
The fact that White March doubled down on fights at the cost of exploration/conversations/story has downright disappointing. The reports that Tyranny does that to extreme are troubling. Lack of Avellone's involvement is troubling as well - is there anyone left at Obsidian who's a good writer?

24th of February will be a good day, provided Trump doesn't kill all of us first.

Hey, man, I loved base Pillars, warts and all. And I don't automatically dislike wRPGs (loved both Witcher 3 and M&M:X).
Heck, up till the final chapter of PoE I even played on Normal, not on Story mode (the final dungeon with its difficulty spike was enough to make me switch though)
The fact that White March doubled down on fights at the cost of exploration/conversations/story has downright disappointing. The reports that Tyranny does that to extreme are troubling. Lack of Avellone's involvement is troubling as well - is there anyone left at Obsidian who's a good writer?

24th of February will be a good day, provided Trump doesn't kill all of us first.

I enjoyed the story of The White March more than I did the second half of the base game, but ugh the fights in it were awful.

Tyranny is very short (around 30 hours) compared to Pillars of Eternity, at no point I've felt combat fatigue. Also, Tyranny's maps aren't filled to the brim with enemies like PoE.

I'm looking forward to trying Tyranny but after Pillars I need a bigger sale on it. I'll probably jump in when it hits $20.

Tyranny is very short (around 30 hours) compared to Pillars of Eternity, at no point I've felt combat fatigue. Also, Tyranny's maps aren't filled to the brim with enemies like PoE.

Just wow, the better Monster Hunter or xenoblade game in nearly all the comparable aspects.

Let's not get crazy here. Dragon's Dogma doesn't hold a candle to the combat systems of Monster Hunter. DD has flashy looking combat but every fight is a battle of attrition. MH combat looks incredibly cool as well but it also demands that your skill as a player increase or you will just not be able to progress past a certain point. Basically the 'git gud or go home' philosophy of game design. As much fun as DD is, it does not do combat better than MH.

I wish more games were like Tyranny - manageable length, reasonable replayability, character progression that doesn't feel grindy and in parallel with that encounters that are fewer but feel more significant.

Let's not get crazy here. Dragon's Dogma doesn't hold a candle to the combat systems of Monster Hunter. DD has flashy looking combat but every fight is a battle of attrition. MH combat looks incredibly cool as well but it also demands that your skill as a player increase or you will just not be able to progress past a certain point. Basically the 'git gud or go home' philosophy of game design. As much fun as DD is, it does not do combat better than MH.

Ok, id say to me the controls are more direct than in MH. I tried it (MH) on the wii and wiiu, and always had problems with the indirect commands. So DD is fitting my control preferences more than MH lets say. Plus the animations are much more seamless.

I wish more games were like Tyranny - manageable length, reasonable replayability, character progression that doesn't feel grindy and in parallel with that encounters that are fewer but feel more significant.
Oh yeah, how your back ground could affect your faction alliance and subsequently the entire main story is crazy. I'm not sure how Obsidian would follow up with its sequel.

Oh yeah, how your back ground could affect your faction alliance and subsequently the entire main story is crazy. I'm not sure how Obsidian would follow up with its sequel.

It's like everything Dragon Age was supposed to be but wasn't. One can only hope they don't follow up how Dragon Age did.

Man, Tyranny's Conquest system is such a good induction into the lore. It totally does out-origin Dragon Age: Origins.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 also out-origins Dragon Age: Origins, y'know. It's much more personalised to the character, but also a lot more radical in how it changes the character's motivations.

It's actually the opposite. Combat and conversations are the inverse of PoE--at times it feels like 80% dialog, 20% combat, but in truth it's probably closer to 60-40.

Tyranny strikes a really good progression balance, and introduces a lot of great RPG mechanics to the genre. It isn't afraid to bring players knee-deep in lore thanks to the lore tooltips, and the Conquest system personalises the world for each player. Plus the loot is much more sensible than PoE. It's just really well-realised.

Only bummer is that Act 3 is apparently super short. (I still haven't beaten it, in spite of how much I've enjoyed my time with Tyranny. Backlog blues.)
Definitely. It feels like a blueprint for an absolute classic.

The setting is just so cool... ripe for sidestories and sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom