• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indie games I'm looking forward to the most in 2017:
header.jpg
header.jpg
header.jpg
header.jpg
header.jpg
header.jpg

Great list. Rain World is gorgeous and Eitr ticks all kinds of boxes for me.

I thought it was releasing 2016 but 2016 kept coming while Eitr didn't.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I find the fact that nobody puts Marvel and Tekken on their lists for big 2017 PC games absolutely hilarious, you dont even need to like fighting games to understand that 2 series that have completely ignored PC until now having their latest entries finally on PC is a huge deal.

Cleared the Fort Frolic area in BioShock this morning. Haha, that was great. Fighting off a wave of spider splicers while Sander Cohen played Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers over the speakers was definitely the best moment in the game so far.
Afterwards I beat him to death with a wrench.

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly i'm not sure i care deeply for any games in 2017 but persona

but i bet there's a ton i'm forgetting

like mount & blade 2, if that thing ever releases

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doom might be a perfect game. I mean that in the sense that I cant think of anything wrong to say about it. Its not even my GOTY or anything, I would still put a lot of other games above it, but it does what it does flawlessly, the campaign seems to be big, it looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is great, the weapons feel great, the level design is fantastic, theres a unexpected amount of systems for what you would assume would be a simple FPS.

Its an intant classic and one of those games that for years will be on the tip of everyone's tongue as a easy recomendation every time someone asks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Doom might be a perfect game. I mean that in the sense that I cant think of anything wrong to say about it. Its not even my GOTY or anything, I would still put a lot of other games above it, but it does what it does flawlessly, the campaign seems to be big, it looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is great, the weapons feel great, the level design is fantastic, theres a unexpected amount of systems for what you would assume would be a simple FPS.

Its an intant classic and one of those games that for years will be on the tip of everyone's tongue as a easy recomendation every time someone asks.

My only complaint of DOOM is that it started feeling pretty repetitive somewhat early on. Not enough to totally turn someone off from playing it, but about half way through it got this "go here, kill this monster, then go here and kill these same monsters" feel to it that only had slight variations on the number of each monster type and the environment.

And yes I totally get that the older Doom games also had this and that for a large part they were trying to recreate that feeling. But if I had to lodge a single complaint at the game, it would be that.

Lain

Yeah but DOOM released in the same year that Trump was elected president so you can't put it in GOTY 2016 sorry

Hmmmm, Trump, let me check Off-topic to see if there is some juicy news about Trump

Donald Trump asked Rupert Murdoch to name picks for FCC chair

Ahah you guys are so fucked.

My only complaint of DOOM is that it started feeling pretty repetitive somewhat early on. Not enough to totally turn someone off from playing it, but about half way through it got this "go here, kill this monster, then go here and kill these same monsters" feel to it that only had slight variations on the number of each monster type and the environment.

And yes I totally get that the older Doom games also had this and that for a large part they were trying to recreate that feeling. But if I had to lodge a single complaint at the game, it would be that.

While I agree to a certain extent (when you walk into an open area room you can basically hear the door lock behind you and you know you got some work to do), there is an almost endless variety of ways to slay said evil spawn.

It's definitely rinse and repeat, but how you repeat can be different almost every time through.

honestly i'm not sure i care deeply for any games in 2017 but persona

but i bet there's a ton i'm forgetting

like mount & blade 2, if that thing ever releases

Mount&Blade 2, completely forgotten about that. Really hope that they make some improvements to the single player mode, and not just combat and graphics.

Others to look forward to:

Thimbleweed Park
Oxygen Not Included
Full Trottle: Remastered
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Knights and Bikes

Other then those, I'm just going to let the community to decide for me. Enough enthusiasm around a title could make me purchase it.

ibn Saïd;227655650 said:
which of the three assassin's creed chronicles is considered to be the best/least bad of the bunch? china, india, or russia?

anyone? i have a feeling they're standalone stories anyway, so i'm not going to ask which one to start with, but which one is considered the best?

Danielsan

Just finished Odallus: The Dark Call. The final boss was a bit of a pain, but it took me around 30 - 40 minutes to kick his ass. Feels good. All in all a fantastic homage to the NES classics such as Castlevania, and just a great game in its own right.

Next up something a bit more chill, Oxenfree!

zkylon

zkylewd
Mount&Blade 2, completely forgotten about that. Really hope that they make some improvements to the single player mode, and not just combat and graphics.

Others to look forward to:

Thimbleweed Park
Oxygen Not Included
Full Trottle: Remastered
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Knights and Bikes

Other then those, I'm just going to let the community to decide for me. Enough enthusiasm around a title could make me purchase it.
i got mild interest in a bunch of different things, i should have like 6 kickstarters coming up in 2017 so that's nice, but nothing as earth shattering as the witness or ladykiller in a bind or whatever

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
ibn Saïd;227665189 said:
anyone? i have a feeling they're standalone stories anyway, so i'm not going to ask which one to start with, but which one is considered the best?

I can't speak for all of them (I've only played China and India, and only about half way through each), but I think your personal favorite will really depend on which setting you enjoy the best. There isn't a whole lot of variety or difference between them besides the aesthetic. I liked India better than China, but neither of them enough to even play the Russia one.

As I recall, they're all considered terrible especially when games like Mark of the Ninja exist.

Monooboe

Alright here is my GOTY for 2016. There are some games I didn't get to play enough, like Darkest Dungeon and I didn't even get to play Civ 6 at all, which I think would have been high on my list. But anyway, as it is now, here they are!:D

1. Stardew Valley
I was so sceptical against this game, since I never really played games of this type, more than maybe Animal Crossing and I would probably wouldn’t have given it a chance if it wasn’t the encouragement from SteamGAF. And WOW, this game has so much of what I want from games. I want non-linearity in that I want to decide what different things I want to do from hour to hour. I want to be in a world that feels open and seem to have life in it. I like collecting things and exploring. I want to feel I have an effect on the world. Getting better as a character and getting better. This game managed to speak to me so well on all those points even with it’s simple presentation and gameplay. All together makes it possible to disappear into the game for hours and never really getting tired of it since there was always something I wanted to do. Also it hit me at the right time when I just needed a break from life and just disappear from a couple of days.

2. The Witness
I kind of knew I really would like The Witness going into it, after the initial impression from people and being a game I really like, and sure enough it’s on my GOTY list. While I understand people thinking the puzzles were boring being all the same type and that it would work better just as a series of puzzles on iPad but I so much disagree. I get crazy with puzzles in a unhealthy way, everything from Picross type of games or even Minesweeper are games I should avoid but with The Witness I got to indulge yet being in an open world made it feel like there was a purpose and solving them also spoke to my “collect everything in games” side. Then the world is absolutely gorgeous and a joy to be in and I liked the pretensions thoughts and ambitions for the “story”.

3. DOOM
RIP AND TEAR! Original Doom is probably the game I’ve played the most, or at least the one I’ve gone back to the most throughout the years. From everything from a friend’s 286 to a Sega 32X and it has always been as much fun. The new one took me by complete surprise and it’s exactly how I in my head thought the original Doom was to play.

4. INSIDE
This is one of the most well-made games I’ve ever seen. While the game is simple in it’s gameplay ambitions it has enormous ambitious in executions and they deliver. Everything from color schemes, animations to sound and music is just right and deliver an unique experience.

5. The Division
My like for this game is kind love/hate, I mean there is so much that makes me mad but just being in the world just works so well with me. It kind of reminds me of being a kid, during winters in Sweden, going out in the morning and just being outside the whole day exploring through snowed in abandoned houses and since Massive is Swedish I kind just assume they’ve found inspiration from their own childhood adventures and that’s why it works so well for me.

Vamphuntr

My haul in 2017:

header.jpg

header.jpg
header.jpg

Had no idea these were coming to steam! Nice.

In 2017 lots of good stuff I want like

Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Resident Evil 7 (already in steam library)
Divinity Original Sin 2 (already in steam library)
Cosmic Star Heroine

Si hyped for Original Sin 2. The first one hooked me like BG2 hooked me years ago. Early access was really promising too.

Definitely want to try an Atelier game too.

Deques

If anyone still wonders the Steam Card glitch still works. I just tried to open one game and directly closed it and got a card

Orgen

Happy (belated) New Year Steam GAF! I hope that all of you got a nice year entry and played some games from the sale or the backlog :D

Is there any list showing all the eligible games for the 2016 GOTY awards?

So sale cards are more expensive now then they were at the beginning of the sale. And every day the supply of them decreases.

I am predicting they get up to 30 cents before Feb. I believe in the Steam-level whales.

jshackles

Is there any list showing all the eligible games for the 2016 GOTY awards?

Any game that released on Steam in 2016 is eligible, as long as it isn't a remake / remaster of an existing Steam game. And if it's episodic, the final episode had to have released in 2016. As such, there are thousands of eligible games - far too many to list.

See this thread's OP for details.

Ladekabel

Can any of the people that played Xanadu Next chime in and answer me a few questions? The last thing I did was beating
the fire demon
on top of the mountain. I bought
the bow from the lady in the shop.
Am I right in my assumption that I have to walk from
the beach underwater to the castle that is mentionend the whole time?
No NPC said something like that so far.

And I'm level 16 and have the best equipment I can buy at the shop currently. Am I set for the rest of the game or do I have to grind at a few spots a little bit more?

Thanks in advance!

Ascheroth

Can any of the people that played Xanadu Next chime in and answer me a few questions? The last thing I did was beating
the fire demon
on top of the mountain. I bought
the bow from the lady in the shop.
Am I right in my assumption that I have to walk from
the beach underwater to the castle that is mentionend the whole time?
No NPC said something like that so far.

And I'm level 16 and have the best equipment I can buy at the shop currently. Am I set for the rest of the game or do I have to grind at a few spots a little bit more?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, you're on the right track. For a little later, don't forget that
you should also have an arrow, and that the bow can be equipped

Not sure level-wise, but normally you'll notice it by the amount of XP you get in a location. If leveling turns into a grind, than that's a clear sign that you should move on.

yuraya

Smh @ some of these M/KB controls in AssCreed Chronicles. Hold F and use mouse to aim firecracker. Press G to throw firecracker. I mean wut? Drugs are bad for you Ubisoft.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Wasn't the first one a huge success?

It was huge, especially for a 2011 title.

I meant more that the multiplayer never really got big, cause its one of the best multiplayer games ever imo... but the servers where never really crowded sadly... It should have been huge... I never even played the single player campaign in the first one :p

Parsnip

I can't wait for Gorogoa.

Of the top of my head I'm also looking forward to at least these.

Atelier Sophie (and possibly the other one as well)
Hellblade
The Nonary Games
Lego City Undercover
Tacoma
Syberia 3
Snake Pass
Vampyr

Also I'm mildly curious about Lords of the Fallen sequel, since it's a new dev that's making it. And The Surge, which is that "sci-fi souls" from the Lords of the Fallen devs. And I guess I want to see what Mass Effect Andromeda ends up being.

Ladekabel

Yeah, you're on the right track. For a little later, don't forget that
you should also have an arrow, and that the bow can be equipped

Not sure level-wise, but normally you'll notice it by the amount of XP you get in a location. If leveling turns into a grind, than that's a clear sign that you should move on.

Thanks. How much would you say I have left?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So sale cards are more expensive now then they were at the beginning of the sale. And every day the supply of them decreases.

I am predicting they get up to 30 cents before Feb. I believe in the Steam-level whales.

Good

I can't sell mine until the 6th

jshackles

Nillansan

I'm hoping to put it up on the Ghostlight blog this week or next.

Always happy to see you pop by the Steam thread. I have a couple of questions for the Q & A session that you are putting together, I hope that I haven't missed the submission deadline.

1. Do you believe Atlus is a lost cause in terms of bringing their catalogue to PC with your assistance or is that still a matter that you intend to pursue?
  2. Are you under the impression that Atlus are aware of the demand of releasing their games to PC?
  3. Any more of those 2017 teasers?
Thanks. As you probably can tell, I am keeping with the theme of one of the more recent hot topics on GAF.

Ascheroth

Thanks. How much would you say I have left?

I think you're
about 2/3 of the way done
if I remember correctly

Yeah, that should be about right.

---
As for games this year.... There's a good amount of games releasing this year, that I'm interested in, but not to the point of 'gonna buy this immediately'.

I still have a shit-ton of games I got last year to play, and as long as there are at least some good bundles, I'll have some new games on that front as well.
Then there's a good number of games on my wishlist that might drop to a good price during one of the bigger sales this year.

And who knows what surprising games will pop up throughout the year, like SEGA ports (haha).

The only instant-buy I have in mind is Trails the 3rd, but I'm expecting that one at the end of the year at the earliest.

Rhaknar

There are a few games this year that I am simply not ready for them to be bad. In fact I almost made a thread asking that very thing yesterday.

Death's Gambit is one of them. I need that game to be all it looks like it is.

Nillansan

Wrapped up Xanadu Next and Owlboy during the holidays, I am hoping that I can play through both Oxenfree and Quadrilateral Cowboy before the GOTY submission deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom