• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

I bought Witcher 3 in the sale. I should try it out

SnbisT7.png

tomorrow...
Prepare to lose hundreds of hous of your life. (Or just give up in shame and complain on GAF how Bloodborne has better combat)

What is ego shooter?
It's a metaphorical game where you are fighting the dark excesses of your own mind ... armed with a gun.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I bought Witcher 3 GOTY on the PS4 as I got one for Christmas and I didn't think my 2-3 year old laptop would be up for the task. I was really pleasantly surprised when I went back to it half an hour after setting off the download to find out I could play it there and then while the rest of the game downloaded. Definitely a huge plus for the system.

Axass

header.jpg

I just tried The Silver Case demo and I'm left speachless by how unappealing it is: the UI is a mess, the controls are clunky and unnecessarily complicated, even for PSX standards, the dialogue is atrocious, the plot and scenes inconsequentials (the huge and complex lore-dump at the very beginning actually makes things worse), the puzzles aren't properly explained and there's an auto-solve button in plain view, that everyone is going to press not knowing what it is! Also the cut-off for the demo is at a horrible point, I suppose they wanted people to care and be curious for for what happens next, but I was just very confused and appalled.

It's been a long time since I tried a so badly designed game; it's like they tried their best to have people turn away. That said, since it has such cult status, I guess there has to be something good in it; am I just being too harsh? Am I missing something important? Does the story get crazy and/or has incredible plot twists/depth later on?

Maybe it's just not my kind of game.

Prepare to lose hundreds of hous of your life. (Or just give up in shame and complain on GAF how Bloodborne has better combat)

I just couldn't get into it. Combat didn't bother. me at all.But it felt so janky and I had trouble moving the character. And the horse was just the worst.

Knurek

OK, I tweaked a bit now the graphic settings, installed a Voodoo Emulator and wow, this game looks amazing.

Doesn't Glide make the game look like a blurry mess?
Not sure how is the resolution support, but most older games actually benefit from software rendering at a decent resolution. Bilinear filtering 3dfx used + extremely low VRAM resulted in some pretty messed up textures.

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/FKjkFZS.png[/IMG

Don't know if anything happened afterwards.[/QUOTE]

I actually wanted to know what happened afterwards
but maybe he can't say
who knows
[SPOILER]believe![/SPOILER]

[quote="Mivey, post: 227649293"]I predict FF13 style framerate (no lock, but everything over 30 is totally bonkers), 720p lock, no mouse or keyboard controls (duh), and crashes on anything the devs didn't test (their sole PC being an old Windows XP machine using a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM. Maybe using some fucked DRM as sugar on top.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Ascheroth, post: 227649446"]Yup. And it's going to use the Vita assets.[/QUOTE]

hey now! don't jinx it

Mivey

FKjkFZS.png

Don't know if anything happened afterwards.
I predict FF13 style framerate (no lock, but everything over 30 is totally bonkers), 720p lock, no mouse or keyboard controls (duh), and crashes on anything the devs didn't test (their sole PC being an old Windows XP machine using a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM. Maybe using some fucked DRM as sugar on top.

Ascheroth

I predict FF13 style framerate (no lock, but everything over 30 is totally bonkers), 720p lock, no mouse or keyboard controls (duh), and crashes on anything the devs didn't test (their sole PC being an old Windows XP machine using a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM.

Yup. And it's going to use the Vita assets.

MadGear

Sounds like that is an invalid argument? I enjoyed The Witcher 2 but the primary reason why I haven't bought The Witcher 3 yet is because I did not like anything about that games combat. However I would definitely not complain about it since I probably know what to expect of that game and what not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Another heard from octagon22 (dr_octagon on GAF) or HoosTrax (HoosTrax on GAF) recently (i.e. since their last Steam online times)?

Sounds like that is an invalid argument? I enjoyed The Witcher 2 but the primary reason why I haven't bought The Witcher 3 yet is because I did not like anything about that games combat. However I would definitely not complain about it since I probably know what to expect of that game and what not.

The combat in Witcher 3 is more fluid. It's a definite step up.

I really liked the combat in TW3. I played on whatever the hardest difficulty was and having to use signs, bombs etc was a lot of fun. I really, really liked it.

My buddy was a 'but Bloodbourne' guy and when he switched to the hardest difficulty he ended up loving it too. Different strokes, of course. I wonder if the console version had a lot of input delay or something.

I found there to be a weird delay on the dodge in Bloodbourne. It felt like it took half a second or something for the dodge to actually happen. That along with the frame pacing made it a really jarring experience for me.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Freebie -- MB-71E7C60F65FDC601 - Taken by hayejin

Enjoy

TAFK

I'm on the same boat, just finished 1 this week on my not very powerful laptop, and I'm waiting to get home to play 2 on my desktop.

Also in that boat here for many games... sucks that I really want to know the full experience for some of these story based games. Means I probably wont get around to things like Assassins creed or the Witcher.

one month till Atelier Sophie release, one insignificant month!
BTW did KT contact Durante in any way?

Yes they did and Durante gave them his info. Now who knows if that was just simply courtesy or it's all hush hush so they can bring Atelier to PC in style. I really hope it's the latter.

Arminsc

Also in that boat here for many games... sucks that I really want to know the full experience for some of these story based games. Means I probably wont get around to things like Assassins creed or the Witcher.

Yeah, it can be a problem. I started with the Assassin's creed games years ago, went up to finish 3 and here I am, still haven't started Black Flag out of fatigue.

Also, the fact that I got a full time job and moved to another city last year made it harder for me to find all the time I want for videogames, so lengthy, story rich games are harder for me to get into now.

neoemonk

Does anyone know if you can bring your old characters and universes from the Starbound beta forward? I last played in November 2015. I have everything backed up from then but don't see my character when I start the game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm on the same boat, just finished 1 this week on my not very powerful laptop, and I'm waiting to get home to play 2 on my desktop.

I felt the same way, then realised that with the amount of time I get to play games I'll never actually play through to 3 if I tried that. So I just skipped 1 & 2. Am I already dead?

barber

Oh yeah, baby.
Straight into my veins.

I just hope it doesnt break as many deadlines as starbound...
plus the thing of fe x aw is kinda stupid... if you mean there are hero units just say it is a days of ruin and if you mean the setting just call it a high fantasy aw!! they are two really different takes on the unit creation so it is important from inception to get it correct!!!
(and yeah please come into 2017 and with steam workshop for mods :( )

Edit 2: the magical school sim also rustles my feathers... so much potential!!

I felt the same way, then realised that with the amount of time I get to play games I'll never actually play through to 3 if I tried that. So I just skipped 1 & 2. Am I already dead?

I think not havin played the first two games played a big part why the game never clicked with me storywise.. But I guess you can watch a recap somewhere.

Anno

Nah 3 plays very well as a standalone title. There is plenty of story and character catch up stuff at the beginning.

You might miss out on referential dialogue but there isn't a huge amount of it and you can pick up the thread fairly easily.

Situational drama makes it pretty apparent how people feel about Geralt and vice versa.

Sarcasm

I tried to play all three witchers.

I just couldn't get into it, combat was big for me. Though I think another big reason is I can't get into the character.

Arminsc

Nah for me it's more about sticking to the main story and ignore side quests if the game is going to be too long. Not the best solution, but my brain won't let me skip entries in a series haha

Lomax

I think you can do Witcher 1 in like 10-15 hours if you power just the main story. Personally I enjoyed the rhythm icon based combat with a mouse but I know a lot of people didn't.

barber

So finished off pony island (have to do some extra playthroughs to get all the achivements but as of now i will rest) and i can say it is... unique?
It is a really well thought game with some really ideas, plus short enough that the hook of the story doesnt get thin and the gameplay though kinda repetitive doesnt feel too bad (until the glitchy things -.- )

I finished The Witcher 1 in ~30 hours, doing most of the sidequests.

Witcher 2 is certainly shorter since I played it through twice in 27 hours.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
header.jpg

I just tried The Silver Case demo and I'm left speachless by how unappealing it is: the UI is a mess, the controls are clunky and unnecessarily complicated, even for PSX standards, the dialogue is atrocious, the plot and scenes inconsequentials (the huge and complex lore-dump at the very beginning actually makes things worse), the puzzles aren't properly explained and there's an auto-solve button in plain view, that everyone is going to press not knowing what it is! Also the cut-off for the demo is at a horrible point, I suppose they wanted people to care and be curious for for what happens next, but I was just very confused and appalled.

It's been a long time since I tried a so badly designed game; it's like they tried their best to have people turn away. That said, since it has such cult status, I guess there has to be something good in it; am I just being too harsh? Am I missing something important? Does the story get crazy and/or has incredible plot twists/depth later on?

Maybe it's just not my kind of game.

The prologue and controls leave a terrible first impression, but it sounds like you would end up disliking the rest of the game.

The UI and controls for the adventure sections are much better with the WASD control option, especially if you're using keyboard only (WASD to move, Q and E to look up and down, C to examine/interact with people and objects, etc.). Actually navigating the menus with a mouse is terrible. I didn't play the game with a controller, though, so I can't comment on that. The dialogue is more or less similar to what you encountered for the rest of the game, and there are some annoying conversations that you have to sit through. The game tries to have "realistically awkward" conversations, for better or worse.

Does the story get crazy and/or has incredible plot twists/depth later on?
The story starts to go crazy around chapter 3, yeah. Chapter 3 of the main story is the point where the game started clicking with me, too. The plot can get pretty abstract, leaving it up to the player to decipher what's going on, though the placebo chapters help.

As for the prologue itself, I really didn't care for it until I found out that some of the characters you meet in it are from Suda's previous game, Moonlight Syndrome (the game never tells you this). It ends up tying itself to the recurring "kill the past" theme since Suda is figuratively killing his past.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Took me 48 hours for the first. But I want to read the novels before doing the second since it's not like the first one where you read "the Last Wish" and go from there.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
What game is this?

It's an unnamed game from chucklefish. The game hasn't been officially revealed yet, only teased by the developers. From the article:

After Brice tweeted again saying "Chucklefish is working on two new games and will continue to support Starbound," we reached out to him for clarification, and he gave us some further details on their upcoming projects. He confirmed that the tactics game shown above and the RPG-style video linked below are indeed two different games.

"The first is a turn based strategy game, a more modern spiritual successor to Advance Wars that retains some of the pixel charm," Brice told me. "The goal is to make good use of modern tech, online multiplayer, [Steam] Workshop support, that kind of thing." Thinking about a tactics game with full mod support is incredibly exciting.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

It is also worth saying that there is one pretty major choice in the Witcher 2 which leads to the entire middle section of the game being completely different. So 2 playthoughs is recommended if you want to see everything (though keep saves from both so you have various plot points as you want them to import into Witcher 3).

What game is this?

Thought the same but if you click the image, it goes to a pcgamer article.

It's by Chucklefish, the folks behind Starbound. Seeking to be Advanced Wars meets Fire Emblem. I *specifically* asked for this.

May have to jump in early. I got Starbound in a trade using Dota items forever ago and have yet to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom