• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Whoa whoa whoa! Didn't think I'd see those words again.

Haha well someone on Reddit asked if I was going to start fully supporting it again and why I stopped in the first place, my response was:

There were a few reasons I stopped supporting it, but the straw that broke the camel's back was that Steam required an authenticator on your account to be able to sell cards, and their SMS service wouldn't work with my phone because I subscribe to an MVNO (which has since been fixed).

Waiting 2 hours for cards to drop wasn't nearly as big a deal for me as receiving support requests in my inbox by the hundreds daily for a free application with no monetization my part. This coupled with the fact that I had used the program for years and had nearly got all of my available card drops personally, so I wasn't even supporting it for my own use but simply for others.

I'm not opposed to keeping it alive for the sake of bugfixes and such, as this release took about an hour of my time. But my time is split right now between Enhanced Steam, my moderator duties at NeoGAF, my full time job, as well as my family obligations. I'm not sure if I'll want to spend the time investment creating new features and such as well as answering support emails.

So it's safe to consider the project on "life support" rather than being brought back from the dead

Zeknurn

i9ahvZf.jpg

HLVR confirmed.

rdytoroll

I'm probably the only person here that hasn't signed up for Gamepump

I'll stand with you

Speaking of subscriptions: I think I'll try out the Humble Monthly Bundles this month, there were some cool games in the previous months, though I'm not that interested in Vermintide

i don't even really know what gamepump is. seeing as how it's being compared a lot with humble monthly, i assume it's something similar?

never really liked the concept of humble monthly, i don't like paying without knowing what i'd get. i did buy it twice though, but that was because the game on display was enough for me to warrant $12.

Tizoc

I must be the only one here who doesn't get why you people have suddenly been using the word 'pump' 90% more, since the past 2 months than you have in your entire internet lives.

...and all over a $20 bundle that offers 13 games.

You're like an 8 year old who discovered the word 'kickass' and has been using it in his lexicon and trying to be the coolest kid in the 'hood' but is seen a weirdo.

I don't think I've even been Praising Crom for as much as you peeps keep using pump as a verb these past few months.

At any rate if the first game is Lit, I'll be interested to see how they handle the PC port and IIRC it's a game Dusk Golem's praised right? That gives me more motivation to try it out I guess.

Tizoc

ibn Saïd;227730345 said:
i don't even really know what gamepump is. seeing as how it's being compared a lot with humble monthly, i assume it's something similar?

never really liked the concept of humble monthly, i don't like paying without knowing what i'd get. i did buy it twice though, but that was because the game on display was enough for me to warrant $12.

Gamepump is a website/service that aims to release games taht hadn't been released on PC before.
The highest tier is $20 for $13 games. There are speculations that it would contain games from older consoles such the SNES etc.
We don't exactly know what the games will be exactly though. One game taht is speculated is LIT an old Wayforward game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIT_(video_game)

Wok

seen a weirdo.

I don't think I've even been Praising Crom for as much as you peeps keep using pump as a verb these past few months.

Don't be jealous because Crom cannot be used as a verb.

Gamepump is a website/service that aims to release games that hadn't been released on PC before.

Not only old games. I'm saying it: LineLight is one of the pumped additions.

Stay pumped. #TeamWeirdo

Edit: Pic to taunt Tizoc when I will be proven right (hopefully).

PaulSane

I'm probably the only person here that hasn't signed up for Gamepump

You are not the only one. I'm too used to regional steam pricing so that i find it hard to convince myself to buy anything outside of steam, especially if i can't be sure what i'm getting. I did buy one Humble Monthly though, but that was mostly because the early unlock game was pretty good, and i was already going to buy another humble bundle, so the 10% discount from monthly actually made me do it :) I'm a lot less likely to buy any more bundles now though, since i'm not really collecting games, and i've already bought most of the games i was interested in.
Gamepump's main draw seems to be that you are guaranteed to get new games for your library, but the info on what games we might be getting is too vague for my tastes, and the price tag isn't too attractive either (in my region at least) - i think i wouldn't pay that much even if i knew what games were coming and i was kinda interested in like half of them :p

Anno

I'm interested in the pump but not enough to buy in yet. I'm hopeful that they can find some cool games to bring to the table though.

Tizoc

Some quick maths, if one were to opt for the $20 Gamepump bundle, each game would've cost them app. $1.60 (american).
Now say you didn't like one of the games, you could always trade it off for a $5 game or sell it for $5.
Least that's how I would do it~

Kifimbo

I must be the only one here who doesn't get why you people have suddenly been using the word 'pump' 90% more, since the past 2 months than you have in your entire internet lives.

...and all over a $20 bundle that offers 13 games.

You're like an 8 year old who discovered the word 'kickass' and has been using it in his lexicon and trying to be the coolest kid in the 'hood' but is seen a weirdo.

Word. At this point I just hope the service is a giant disappointment so that stupid meme dies.

Knurek

Everyone hoping for SNES games from Gamepump obviously didn't read the interview with the CEO, where he mentions they will focus on MSX ports of NES games, because nothing says GAMEPUMP like 2 fps scrolling in your shooter.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Let's just all agree that regardless of your thoughts about Gamepump and their business model and whether or not you're personally interested in it, having new releases of classic games on PC / Steam benefits everyone for years to come. It's almost like we're all kickstarting at least 13 mystery games that wouldn't have otherwise been available on the platform.

Tizoc

Let's just all agree that regardless of your thoughts about Gamepump and their business model and whether or not you're personally interested in it, having new releases of classic games on PC / Steam benefits everyone for years to come. It's almost like we're all kickstarting at least 13 mystery games that wouldn't have otherwise been available on the platform.

Part of the reason I got the bundle blindly ;)
COME ON GAMEPUMP GIMME DAT PSIKYO GOODNESS!

Don't be jealous because Crom cannot be used as a verb.
Crom is hallowed. To overuse the name of Crom would be an act done in vain and would weaken its significance.
Not only old games. I'm saying it: LineLight is one of the pumped additions.

Stay pumped. #TeamWeirdo

I'm cool if we get some new releases too, but you're going too overboard if you misinterpret a term that has the same meaning as 'get hype!' as a hint to what the bundle would contain.

Rocksteady could announce RDR1 for PC and use the term 'Get pumped!' and you kids would straight away froth at the mouth thinking it'll be part of the bundle.

Some quick maths, if one were to opt for the $20 Gamepump bundle, each game would've cost them app. $1.60 (american).
Now say you didn't like one of the games, you could always trade it off for a $5 game or sell it for $5.
Least that's how I would do it~
I think you're trying to convince yourself of the value here. Humble Monthly has used the money value per bundle in the past, but here nothing. At this point I highly doubt flipping them at $5. It would sure be nice for them to say the total retail price of the yearly set of games or even average monthly value is ten bucks.

This

Heck I haven't even received any GAMEPUMP games yet and still think it's a better investment than this one I unfortunately made.

Tizoc

hope i get PUMPED with some old school GEX goodness

Gex 1 is available over at GOG.

Speaking of which, Pizza Tycoon 1 and 2 are now available @ gog
e37321319cccac98d9fb3f27bfb87387c9a506161524e9e911d8e70594ac96f1.jpg

I think you're trying to convince yourself of the value here.
TBH I didn't care, I just blind bought because of the premise. I'm used to disappointment with my purchases mind you and far as I care if there isn't a game that interests me from it I'll just give it away/trade it off etc.
I'm an optimist though so IMO there's bound to be something in there that interests me.
The maths ain't wrong though. :3
Humble Monthly has used the money value per bundle in the past, but here nothing. At this point I highly doubt flipping them at $5. It would sure be nice for them to say the total retail price of the yearly set of games or even average monthly value is ten bucks.

Well with Humble Monthly you only know of 1 game. Humble gives you either 5-6 games in the monthly bundle, so at best each game would cost under $3 per title.

Anno

Have you played Catacomb Kids? That and Vagante are the best roguelite platformers post-Spelunky

Hey if you had to recommend one of these two which would you go with? I think I want to get into one of these style games and I like the aesthetics here more than that of Spelunky, even if they still are EA. Both seems quite popular amongst their fans, just trying to figure out how to choose between the two. Or maybe I just buy both?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh that Limelight is confirmed to be part of it? Heh

Hey man I hope the games are good, I dont want people wasting money or getting fucked. But I am salty that for example, the awesome Flame in the Flood was in last month's monthly, and everybody (ok not everybody) goes LOLHUMBLEMONTHLY WHAT A WASTE M I RITE.

oh and someguyinahat, theres a new bundle for you

zkylon

zkylewd
i hate blind boxes and gambling in gaming so i really dislike the business model of the gamepump thing

for $5 i'm giving it a shot for one month but i really hate this culture of selling you mystery shit

this is too much power for the ppl selling you shit to do whatever they want (i.e. overwatch)

Pixieking

Banned
Gamepump question: Anyone know if you'll be able to get the games after they're announced/released? Or if you miss a month, do you miss that game?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think you're trying to convince yourself of the value here. Humble Monthly has used the money value per bundle in the past, but here nothing. At this point I highly doubt flipping them at $5. It would sure be nice for them to say the total retail price of the yearly set of games or even average monthly value is ten bucks.

Yes, deciding to buy something involves "convincing" yourself of the value--i.e. figuring out the value. My instinct is that games from the service will probably cost $6-20 on Steam new release. If I had to guess, I would say the modal price will be $9.99. I don't think I'm going to get "$130 worth of value", that would be stupid. But I do expect the true value I get to be above $20, pretty easily. If they release one or two games I want to buy at full price, I feel covered.

If it isn't, then I at least expect the true value to be above $0, and the resale value for the stuff I don't want to be above $0. So if this ends up being a bad decision and I miscalibrate and I get $5 worth of value and $3 worth of reselling so I'm out $12 for the year. I don't think the stakes are exactly epic here. If they don't launch games at all and just take my money and run I'll get a refund through Paypal.

Knurek

What does this mean? So if you plug in a 360 controller you can sort of make the thumbsticks work like the Steam controller pads?

Custom bindings, chords, touch menus, etc.
Everything Steam Controller/DualShock 4 can do with BPM, except for the touchpads (obviously).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gamepump question: Anyone know if you'll be able to get the games after they're announced/released? Or if you miss a month, do you miss that game?

they are all going to be steam games so you will be able to buy them on steam get them in future bundles :3

Hey if you had to recommend one of these two which would you go with? I think I want to get into one of these style games and I like the aesthetics here more than that of Spelunky, even if they still are EA. Both seems quite popular amongst their fans, just trying to figure out how to choose between the two. Or maybe I just buy both?
Vagante is farther along, and has more of an RPG feel, with different classes and skills, while Catacomb Kids is all about the reactive world and is much faster and free-form in choosing skills and how you approach danger. Personally, I like Catacomb Kids more, but they're both great

jshackles

i hate blind boxes and gambling in gaming so i really dislike the business model of the gamepump thing

for $5 i'm giving it a shot for one month but i really hate this culture of selling you mystery shit

this is too much power for the ppl selling you shit to do whatever they want (i.e. overwatch)

The difference here is that the onus is on Gamepump to deliver. Not just so that existing subscribers like me will want to re-subscribe, but also because there are a lot of people interested in Gamepump and are waiting to see what kind of quality they'll deliver.

If it ends up all being shit-tier garbage ports that belong in an 8 for a $1 Indie Gala bundle, then the service probably won't be around for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom