• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I like the Community gifs.

fire_community.gif

Vamphuntr

15 games for 20$ is neat but I fear they will be dumpster diving in Indie gala and Groupee's Trash haha. How is this even going to be profitable. I mean if no one bother to buy the stuff on steam it's over.

I'm keeping my sub the entertainment from the disaster is worth it alone.

Big props on them offering refund, that's the right thing to do when you change your offer and the subscription is already paid.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Okay, so they're sticking with a bonus month in addition to the 12 months and the two introductory bonus games. Cool. Even more pumps.

Also, RE: "Stump was hyping Game Pump"

This is the most hyped I have gotten:
5% chance it's a scam and I have to use a Paypal refund
50% chance that it's all garbage and I end up selling some of the keys or taking a loss
40% chance that there are enough good games in there to justify the subscription price
5% chance they're the next Night Dive and I get 13 games for $20

G A M E P U M P

Yes, deciding to buy something involves "convincing" yourself of the value--i.e. figuring out the value. My instinct is that games from the service will probably cost $6-20 on Steam new release. If I had to guess, I would say the modal price will be $9.99. I don't think I'm going to get "$130 worth of value", that would be stupid. But I do expect the true value I get to be above $20, pretty easily. If they release one or two games I want to buy at full price, I feel covered.

If it isn't, then I at least expect the true value to be above $0, and the resale value for the stuff I don't want to be above $0. So if this ends up being a bad decision and I miscalibrate and I get $5 worth of value and $3 worth of reselling so I'm out $12 for the year. I don't think the stakes are exactly epic here. If they don't launch games at all and just take my money and run I'll get a refund through Paypal.

People should not confuse semi-ironically spamming the service's dumb name for having delusions about the level of value I expect. I think it's an interesting experiment and $20 for 1315 games none of which I own is a pretty good value and worth the "risk" (note: the risk is less than the risk I take by getting a plate of food at my roadside taco truck) for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So LIT was already expected to be a separate bonus game that doesn't reflect the rest of their releases?

No, Lit was expected to be the game that's launching the service. Now it's not because the service is delayed and you get Lit as a bonus on top of the promised subscription.

Ozium

I don't mind the delay either, things happen... and the free games are nice gestures.

I mind them not saying anything until zero hour.
I mind them promising "day 1" Steam keys without having the means to deliver.
I mind them shifting over to GOG and making Steam keys a backseat.

thinking about refunding, because 1. the way it has been handled has been highly unprofessional and doesn't bode well for the future and 2. I feel like the original promise has shifted and it's no different than buying a Groupees build-a-greenlight-bundle now

chronomac

Stump lays down the law and everyone keeps freaking out.

Relax. You have to wait a little while and then you get bonus games. Don't like it? Get a refund and 2 free games.

Backlogger

So it looks like you will essentially be able to choose a Steam key or a GOG copy of the game.

Wouldn't it be worth the gamble (assuming these will be mid to low tier games at this point) to just redeem on Steam and hope that a majority of them will eventually be available on GOG via GOG Connect?

No, Lit was expected to be the game that's launching the service. Now it's not because the service is delayed and you get Lit as a bonus on top of the promised subscription.

No? As far as anyone knew, that was the first month's game...

So basically this means nothing, since it initially was a part of their service:

"This just means they're great games, but not reflective of the types of games you'll be receiving as part of your subscription and do not count as part of your 12 games (with an annual subscription)."

It's still very likely that they will just make some remakes of mobile games like this?
I just don't want to go in blindly and buy a bunch of crappy mobile games nobody asked for.

Kifimbo

Remember Robotoki ? And their game Human Element ? And the prequel that was supposed to come out on Ouya. Yes, Ouya.

From the same guy who was mostly a Community Manager at Infinity Ward, but writes this seriously on his LinkedIn profile.

Creative Strategist for the Call of Duty series and lead at development studio Infinity Ward, directly responsible for the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3; taking the title of "largest entertainment launch of all time" for the 3rd consecutive year, setting the entertainment record by grossing $1 billion dollars in just 16 days. Including an online userbase of 30 million online players.

Previously handling the release and execution for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; the then "largest entertainment launch of all time" (as reported by Variety) with a first day US + UK sales total of $310 Million dollars, closing out 2009 with a 2-month revenue of over $1.1 billion dollars in sales (nearly 22 Million Copies sold); a Metacritic average of 95 ("Universal Acclaim"), and thirteen perfect scores.

And on the same LinkedIn page, you can see he has like half a dozen different jobs/roles.

kulapik

Remember Robotoki ? And their game Human Element ? And the prequel that was supposed to come out on Ouya. Yes, Ouya.

From the same guy who was mostly a Community Manager at Infinity Ward, but writes this seriously on his LinkedIn profile.

And on the same LinkedIn page, you can see he has like half a dozen different jobs/roles.

He managed Humble Bundle for a year, specially the Humble Monthly, and I think he did it great.

Jawmuncher

Decided to order one of those 4D Resident Evil 7 candles, even though I won't be playing in VR.
Will let you all know if it adds to the experience. Or if more than likely it'll just smell like shit.

Lain

I don't like the HoPiKo control scheme with the mouse. Gotta aim and release to send your character, which I thought would be great with a mouse but nope. Moving the cursor around and then holding the left button doesn't do what I expect it to do, the direction of the launch is still not where i'm pointing. Then I move the pointer around to try and aim, unsuccessfully as the aim spaz around moving around more than my movement.
I guess the game was made with a pad and digital sticks in mind but still... this control scheme has me disliking the game right out of the bat just playing the tutorial.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Yes, we all knew this; the Ouya deal was signed when Ouya was being flooded with VC money to be able to publish stuff. Lots of developers took Ouya publishing money or matching funds, particularly when it was first unveiled, broke the Kickstarter record, had a bunch of external VC, and hired a ton of power players on the bizdev side. You know he wasn't part of Ouya, right, he was a developer who took a publishing deal?

You are aware that he got promoted from Community Manager to a Producer and Business role, and that's what that's referring to, right? You copied the body of the text and not his job title, which would have indicated as much?

I don't think Robert Bowling's record inspires enough confidence to bet your house on him, but I don't think it makes sense to look at your $20 "investment" (minus what you recoup from selling keys, minus the entire cost if you decide to take a refund, minus more than the entire cost if you take a refund AND resell the keys) as though a few years of running a studio, a few years of game investment experience, a year at Humble, and a few years on the business side of Call of Duty isn't in the ballpark of qualification. But again, if you think this suggests the thing is going to be an unmitigated fiasco and he's going to take the money and run, I totally recommend taking the refund, reselling the bonus keys, and then GamePump will have been your best game investment of all time because you will have profited on it.

Ozium

I don't like the HoPiKo control scheme with the mouse. Gotta aim and release to send your character, which I thought would be great with a mouse but nope. Moving the cursor around and then holding the left button doesn't do what I expect it to do, the direction of the launch is still not where i'm pointing. Then I move the pointer around to try and aim, unsuccessfully as the aim spaz around moving around more than my movement.
I guess the game was made with a pad and digital sticks in mind but still... this control scheme has me disliking the game right out of the bat just playing the tutorial.

yeah I tried with a mouse at first and it just felt weird, then I switched to a pad and I liked it a lot more... if you have one you should try it

eh, I'll go ahead and keep my sub. hopefully the games coming up will be better tho

man festers quest NES would be awesome, but the horror is pretty light.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
So LIT is just an apology and not part of the actual subscription?

So is Humble Monthly worth it? I tend to dislike the idea of a subscription for an unknown reward (same reason I think stuff like Lootcrate is ridiculous)

Has the monthly collection of games been good? It's basically just a random Humble Bundle, right?

illusionary

So LIT is just an apology and not part of the actual subscription?

That's what they seem to be saying at this point, yes. However to have the statement that it is "not reflective of the types of games you'll be receiving as part of your subscription" seems odd to me, given the 'clues' that they'd been dropping about Lit up until now.

So is Humble Monthly worth it? I tend to dislike the idea of a subscription for an unknown reward (same reason I think stuff like Lootcrate is ridiculous)

Has the monthly collection of games been good? It's basically just a random Humble Bundle, right?

I'd say that it's been worth it so far, yes - and worst case, it seems generally to be possible to sell the keys for more than the bundle cost. You can see the contents of past bundles at the bottom of this page:

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

Vamphuntr

It's worth it if you don't buy a lot of games on/for Steam but the quality vary greatly each month. There is usually one good game to pull people in like Alien Isolation, Dragon's Dogma or XCOM 2 and the rest of the bundle vary quality wise. I don't subscribe myself as a huge chunk of what they have given I already have on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom