• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

It's worth it if you don't buy a lot of games on/for Steam but the quality vary greatly each month. There is usually one good game to pull people in like Alien Isolation, Dragon's Dogma or XCOM 2 and the rest of the bundle vary quality wise. I don't subscribe myself as a huge chunk of what they have given I already have on steam.
Xcom 2 is awfully tempting. Might just get the monthly subscription just to get it. Though, that won't be helping my Backlog Blitz at all...

MUnited83

For you.
So is Humble Monthly worth it? I tend to dislike the idea of a subscription for an unknown reward (same reason I think stuff like Lootcrate is ridiculous)

Has the monthly collection of games been good? It's basically just a random Humble Bundle, right?

Do you think 12$ is a good price for Xcom 2? If so, just go and get it, everything else is a tasty bonus.

JakeD

So is Humble Monthly worth it? I tend to dislike the idea of a subscription for an unknown reward (same reason I think stuff like Lootcrate is ridiculous)

Has the monthly collection of games been good? It's basically just a random Humble Bundle, right?

this was the first month i turned my subscription off since it started. i ended up paying $8 in the BST thread for 2 games i wanted anyway. i definitely wish i just left it on.

every month its been

1 game you wouldnt even expect to be bundled
2 games that you would expect, but a few months earlier than usual
3/4 games that you've never heard of but are pretty well received

considering the market for duplicates in the BST, it's totally worth it. sell your duplicates and get 2-4 good/great games for $6

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
New banner image for the OP:

nGi8YMF.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
I sorta wanted Vermintide, but my backlog is so big I'll never touch it, and I played a free weekend and it was only okay, and yet, I'm still kinda upset with myself that I didn't buy it. The struggle is real.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
This is my GOTY list, barring me starting and finishing Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls 3 before the deadline (not happening). But on the off chance I do, I'm not submitting this until last minute.

1. Stardew Valley, it's digital crack. I spent 40 hours in one week just playing this game, and then stopped because I didn't know who I wanted to date lol.
2. SpeedRunners
3. ABZU
4. Dead by Daylight
5. Oxenfree

EA:
1. Faeria, it's a pretty fun card + board game. The meta is kind of odd though.

DLC:
1. The Last Breath Chapter in Dead by Daylight, which gave you the Nurse. She really got me hyped and scared when she came out. Her design's only second to the Hag (too bad the Hag is a shit killer). Michael Myers ain't a bad killer, but idk. The Nurse was something. She's not the most balanced thing in the world, but I really do like her.

bbd23

just saw the gamepump stuff. amateur hour my god.

should have seen it coming, they couldn't even send proper confirmation emails.

fallout

I sorta wanted Vermintide, but my backlog is so big I'll never touch it, and I played a free weekend and it was only okay, and yet, I'm still kinda upset with myself that I didn't buy it. The struggle is real.
I'd be curious to know what the stats are for free weekends and people buying the game. I find it commonly scratches an itch for me and then ultimately dissuades me from buying the game.

vitormg

Neo Member
Have you played Half-Life before? Check out Black Mesa after you do. They hope to be done with it sometime this year.
I've never played it actually. Always planned to do so, but didn't.
I thought about playing the classic version first and replay the Black Mesa if I feel like replaying the game afterwards.

Tektonic

I think it's an interesting experiment and $20 for 1315 games none of which I own is a pretty good value and worth the "risk" (note: the risk is less than the risk I take by getting a plate of food at my roadside taco truck) for me.

This. I'm pretty sure if you are in a thread about playing/"collecting" steam games, you have disposable income, and $20 isn't a stretch for an unknown value ($20 in Australia is two large big Mac meals, and that ain't providing much value after the 10 minutes it takes to eat it)

Edit: maybe your risk was about food poisoning, maybe comprehension isn't my strong suite

r3n4ud

Okay whatever. I purchased it. Will report back in a bit.

EDIT:

X button on a 360 pad as the button to select things in menus, and the start button to go back? Really?

Apparently the option for changing this is in development, but very weird layout choice.
Good thing you can now change that

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm surprised even with my $5 subscription i'm getting the bonus two games

that's really nice of them

i feel like it's easy to have a sensible reaction here, just wait like a month, get some free games, everyone wins

Popstar

It's worth it but I unsubscribed just because my backlog is big enough as it is.

You can see look through the previous bundles if you want https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly#previous-bundles

i'm surprised even with my $5 subscription i'm getting the bonus two games

that's really nice of them

i feel like it's easy to have a sensible reaction here, just wait like a month, get some free games, everyone wins

Is this confirmed? Because I'd pay $5 for Lit and the horror game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is this confirmed? Because I'd pay $5 for Lit and the horror game.

I believe that offer is only applicable for people who subscribed before today

EDIT: I guess it applies to now, but not after today

04c56058252ffda0bee81f4a5e1177bd.png

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Doom
(4 Points) - Tyranny
(3 Points) - Inside
(2 Points) - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
(1 Point) - Abzu

I don't think I need to explain how these excellent games are on my list (though I do think not enough people have played Tyranny, Inside and Abzu). I want to talk about games that didn't end up on mine.

Last year we saw many entries in the "high profile performance disaster" category, and as a PC gamer I take quality of the ports into account, as the performance does factor in my enjoyment of games. Dishonored 2 is a good example, a great first person action game that improved upon its predecessor in every way except presentation (the super fast exposition dump dialogues were awful), but it was unplayable for people that had anything below a mid-high end rig. Even on my i7 6700K/GTX1080 PC, the framerate fluctuates so drastically that non-stealth combat borderlines on impossible. XCOM2 was developed for PC first yet it feels like an afterthought. My 980Ti struggled at 1080p with frequent dips to the 20s, performance on your home ship Avenger deteriorates as you progress with more facilities built. Firaxis was slow to react, and the first so-called "performance" patch was to drop down some settings in the ultra preset. Mafia 3 was bad but it was mediocre from start to finish so not many cared. Forza Horizon 3 was not released on Steam, but I have to talk about it. It's beautiful and charming, the best arcade race game I've ever played. But people had a hard time to get it to run at locked 60fps, no one could pinpoint the exact setting(s) that caused the frame drops, it doesn't scale well and performed even worse for people who were on older CPU architectures. I spend most of my playtime on Xbox now.

DLC:
(3 Points) - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

A DLC so good it's robbing yet another Souls game. CDPR spared no effort when creating an entire, new, massive region. The Duchy of Toussaint is not only pretty to behold, it's packed with things to do, and CDPR continues to demonstrate its ability to match quest quantity with quality writing.

As a book reader, I'm very happy with the adventure with Regis and the poignant sendoff for Geralt.

EA:
(3 Points) - Divinity: Original Sin 2

Anno

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Doom
(4 Points) - Tyranny
(3 Points) - Inside
(2 Points) - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
(1 Point) - Abzu

I don't think I need to explain how these excellent games are on my list (though I do think not enough people have played Tyranny, Inside and Abzu). I want to talk about games that didn't end up on mine.

Last year we saw many entries in the "high profile performance disaster" category, and as a PC gamer I take quality of the ports into account, as the performance does factor in my enjoyment of games. Dishonored 2 is a good example, a great first person action game that improved upon its predecessor in every way except presentation (the super fast exposition dump dialogues were awful), but it was unplayable for people that had anything below a mid-high end rig. Even on my i7 6700K/GTX1080 PC, the framerate fluctuates so drastically that non-stealth combat borderlines on impossible. XCOM2 was developed for PC first yet it feels like an afterthought. My 980Ti struggled at 1080p with frequent dips to the 20s, performance on your home ship Avenger deteriorates as you progress with more facilities built. Firaxis was slow to react, and the first so-called "performance" patch was to drop down some settings in the ultra preset. Mafia 3 was bad but it was mediocre from start to finish so not many cared. Forza Horizon 3 was not released on Steam, but I have to talk about it. It's beautiful and charming, the best arcade race game I've ever played. But people had a hard time to get it to run at locked 60fps, no one could pinpoint the exact setting(s) that caused the frame drops, it doesn't scale well and performed even worse for people who were on older CPU architectures. I spend most of my playtime on Xbox now.

DLC:
(3 Points) - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

A DLC so good it's robbing yet another Souls game. CDPR spared no effort when creating an entire, new, massive region. The Duchy of Toussaint is not only pretty to behold, it's packed with things to do, and CDPR continues to demonstrate its ability to match quest quantity with quality writing.

As a book reader, I'm very happy with the adventure with Regis and the poignant sendoff for Geralt.

EA:
(3 Points) - Divinity: Original Sin 2

Didn't you just play Tyranny in the last week or so? Cool to see it vault up that much so quickly if so.

Ozium

I think so, but it is all a matter of taste and what you already own (which is why it is a gamble...) though with games you already own you can easily sell them on BST if you need to recoup costs.. Some people modbot them, some give to friends they know will like it..

In regards to the quality of the games, while a couple of months were kind of lacking IMO, they are generally fairly good quality games with a decent mix of things. One thing that I like about them is that often one of the games is a nice indie game that literally comes out that day on Steam (like HoPiKo this month, or Wasted.. THOTH was another one which I remember you spoke about in the indie sale thread..) as well as having some games that have very positive reviews but not that much buzz around them that I ended up really enjoying and probably would have not played otherwise... So in that aspect I think you might like it..

go to https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

and scroll down, near the end you can see a picture of each monthly's games so far so you can see what they've had in the past compared to what you own/have wishlisted/your tastes, etc.

Look at the game they offer in the preview, if you think it's worth $12 then go for it. If it's a game you want at that price then worst case scenario you have that game and a few Steam keys to give away.

I think this bundle is absolutely worth it for anyone who doesn't have XCOM 2.

Tizoc

Could this nes horror game be sweet home?
Aka the precursor to resident evil that you younglings never heard of.

Tizoc

Only have 19 out of all those, and a lot more that are my wishlist, Huh, guess I should give it a shot. Overall monthly quality is really good
Technically if u get the current monthly u get xcom 2+4 more games
So that is 5 games for the price of 12 meaning u got xcom 2 for under $3

Sarcasm

Do you need to finish Divinity Original Sin before playing the second one?

Or can you play them separately? I ask cause my friend wants to play 2nd one and I haven't beaten the first one.

Do you need to finish Divinity Original Sin before playing the second one?

Or can you play them separately? I ask cause my friend wants to play 2nd one and I haven't beaten the first one.
It should be safe to play the second game without beating the first game. It's a completely new story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom