• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Honestly, I'm torn. I love GOG and have a few hundred games on the service, but I have a few thousand games on Steam so it's obviously my platform of choice.

The announcement also makes it sound like it's "GOG first, and if you don't redeem your GOG key you can wait for the game to release on Steam" which is kinda shitty.

But then again, NES horror game coming to PC for the first time? *imagines English version of Sweet Home on PC* These types of games supposidely "not reflective of the types of games you'll be receiving as part of your subscription"? WTF does that mean?

Yeah same dilemma. DRM Free and GOG are great, but Steam is why I signed up and what was advertised, and is pretty important to how easily usable everything is in my lounge along with all the features I use. I could take the time to set them up to work with Steam but its an extra unnecessary step.

More so, GOG Connect may eventually just give the DRM Free versions for the games anyway. I'm leaning more towards going for Steam versions thus far...

chronomac

The announcement also makes it sound like it's "GOG first, and if you don't redeem your GOG key you can wait for the game to release on Steam" which is kinda shitty.

Unless the delay between GOG and Steam is huge this might not be a big deal.

Bowling made it sound like the first 2 games won't take long to show up:
Those games are going through the certification process on modern PC marketplaces now and as soon as we can process keys for them, we will be emailing them out to all active subscribers. We estimate this will be within the next 2 weeks.​

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeeeeeeah time for a refund. Joke's on me for having no principles and not sticking to my convictions I guess

Ugh I feel so GAMECHUMPED. Not to shit on GOG because they are a good service but this sounds like GOG first until the Steam copy pops up on the store for who knows how long that will take.

Plus it took them up to the final hours to mention all of this?? If anything, this made Humble Monthly so much better bar none.

Ozium

Instead of doing this gog by default/forfeit thing, why not only give steam keys and then let people use GOG connect to have both?

I thought the original plan was that you would get it DRM free from them and also a Steam key.. like what HB does.

also the way it is worded seems shady af and like GOG did some chicanery to make it happen and speaking of "forfeiting" your drm-free copy for a steam key seems ridiculous as well.. especially when they pitched it they emphasized steam keys and trying to get people who have large steam libraries to get games as soon as they get on the store

Lain

On one hand, PC is PC, GOG or Steam isn't all that important (to the average player).
On the other hand, I subscribed to GAMEPUMP because of Steam keys (and the cult-like following in here, sure), so going to make it a GOG first, Steam later is bs to me.

Some people won't buy a game if it isn't drm-free, which is plenty fine and understandable. Me, I don't have a trust issue with Valve and Steam over not being able to play my games in the future, so I'm prefer having a Steam version over a GOG version of a game given Steam gives me a better overall user experience (when everything works right and there is no need to interact with support, which is most of the time) of installing and updating games.

Nzyme32

Ugh I feel so GAMECHUMPED. Not to shit on GOG because they are a good service but this sounds like GOG first until the Steam copy pops up on the store for who knows how long that will take.

Plus it took them up to the final hours to mention all of this?? If anything, this made Humble Monthly so much better bar none.

Yeah, the delay in what seems like it was obviously known for quite a while is pretty absurd - and no direct communication with any customers who used paypal, presumably since the infrastucture for accounts still isn't even there.

After the 6 messages it took to get even one reply about what was going on after signing up, none of this bodes well.

But - It was $20 I was happy to burn, so I don't mind seeing what happens, whether trainwreck or surprise gems.

Also they probably need to change their promotional material and imagery if they intend to have Steam versions delayed and GOG by default.

hI0LfQ7.png

Yeah, no one should feel bad about putting those $20 in. Those who did were more or less kickstarting a new service, and kickstarting is rarely without road bumps.

illusionary

The statement that LIT and whatever February's game is are "not reflective of the types of games you'll be receiving as part of your subscription" seems odd, especially with the 'clues' that they've had about LIT, which very much made it seem planned all along to be part of the service. DRM-free is good, though the switch to GOG as default isn't a great way of handling it (I'll be switching to the Steam default).

For the sake of $20 I'm staying subscribed all the same.

Edit:

Ouch, that doesn't help at all.

Ozium

he's blaming the steam thing on the fact that he says they have to use greenlight

but if you search for LIT on greenlight, it's not even there

hmm

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
... don't advertise steamkeys if you can't deliver them

I think he assumed as a publisher with previous industry connections bringing a ton of cool historical content to PC, Valve would have given him the same deference they give Trump Dildo Slap VR's developer.

kulapik

I'm understanding that Bowling hopes that when they have a game approved on Greenlight they'll be able to publish the others without it... and I don't think it works that way, right?

he's blaming the steam thing on the fact that he says they have to use greenlight

hmm

WayForward can publish that one by themselves

fantomena

I agree with the former but the latter was a very good bandle this month.

Yeah the bundle was quite good, but I own everything except for than Neon something game and that has been the tradition in like every monthly bundle, I own, let's say, 4/5 games. There's only been 1 bundle where I own less than 4/5 games.

Plus, when I think about it, Humble Monthly would make sales a hell for me with the thought of that I CAN receive the games I want to buy in a monthly bundle.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My guess? The NES version of Shadowgate.

"But Shadowgate's already on Steam!" you might cry. "Ahh, but not the NES version," they'll retort.

I would actually be pretty okay with that

My guess? The NES version of Shadowgate.

"But Shadowgate's already on Steam!" you might cry. "Ahh, but not the NES version," they'll retort.

It would be pretty awesome if it ended up being Home Sweet Home.

Sweet_Home_Japanese_Famicom_box_art.jpg

Really doubt it but it'd be a great way to make up for this mess right now.

Ozium

I'm understanding that Bowling hopes that when they have a game approved on Greenlight they'll be able to publish the others without it... and I don't think it works that way, right?

WayForward can publish that one by themselves

Well Wayforward has the ability to publish their games on Steam, don't they?

who knows, one of his excuses was that they are 'technically a new publisher' so it seems as though GamePump will be publishing titles?

wayforward doesn't have to go through greenlight, they couldn't have pointed gamepump to someone at valve to talk to about bypassing it? also, there are plenty of first time publishers and devs who self publish on steam without going through greenlight, are they just more connected than Robert Bowling?

this whole thing seems odd to me

NOOOOOOOO. Why did it have to be the crappy iOS art! Damn it all to hell!

maybe it actually IS the iOS version and that's what they mean by that "not reflective" comment

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

hmm

Simplest explanation:
- They were waiting to hear back from Valve on store access without Greenlight
- They heard back and will have to go through Greenlight
- Now they need to add it to Greenlight

cyba89

Greenlight is still the thing? Wouldn't have thought that with all these shit-tier titles coming to steam every day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom