• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
Arc's self-publishing on Steam now? Innnnnnnteresting.

(Or is this an old thing and I'm completely out of the loop? I thought Atlus published their stuff.)

They (those 2 games) used to be published by KISS ltd. Seems like ASW got the rights to publish them on STEAM. Most other ASW games are self-published though.

Sch1sm

My first finished game of 2017 goes to:

28 hours and some counting. Reopened the entire gallery, jumped to the 2016 US Federal Election set, now I'm doing The Archives to wrap it all up properly outside the Mystery Paintings or whatever.

Really enjoyed my time with this one. Music was mellow, but it's repetitive enough I just drowned it out with a chill Spotify mix and played in peace. Was great to ignore my lectures with. Gonna keep it installed and do all the pro and master paintings now to properly finish it through the year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

B U Y I T.

sheaaaa

Only have 19 out of all those, and a lot more that are my wishlist, Huh, guess I should give it a shot. Overall monthly quality is really good

For what it's worth I consider it the best deal in gaming. Especially if you have an open mind - it's an eclectic bunch of games for sure, and I sometimes get repeats, but on the whole I've had zero complaints so far and I've been a subscriber for six months or so.

XCOM2 might be the biggest featured game so far, but I have a feeling the other games in the bundle won't be super disappointing. When Dragon's Dogma was the featured game, maybe the only comparable triple-A so far, we still got stuff like Hacknet, The Escapist and The Flame In The Flood.

Refunded Gamepump, it was a sure-why-not thing anyway for the price, but with the messiness on display today and overall, the money seems better well spent towards Humble. There, I know the games will be at least high quality, going by their past months. Will try it out for a few months

For what it's worth I consider it the best deal in gaming. Especially if you have an open mind - it's an eclectic bunch of games for sure, and I sometimes get repeats, but on the whole I've had zero complaints so far and I've been a subscriber for six months or so.
I have eclectic tastes, and will play pretty much anything (Hell, I've even been warming up to finally trying a visual novel), so yeah, seems like a good fit

Vibranium

Banned
I never paid for Gamepump because I know they will never bring the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2 (the latter with the updated Shinkawa portraits) to us, so no deal.

Backlogger

Who else besides GAF subscribed to GAMEPUMP? Lurkers?

I did, I should request a refund but I probably won't because

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
real talk (which isnt new as Ive said this before), but those few days or whatever when people were just absolutely shitting on humble monthly were some of the most baffling shit ive read on Gaf.

Their "showcase" game or whatever you want to call it is usually worth, lets say, half the $12 alone as they pick from either high profile semi-indies (Vermintide, SOMA, Rocket League, Stardew Valley) or straight up "triple A" games (Mad Max, XCOM 2, Dragons Dogma), and the rest of the stuff is usually high quality indie stuff, Flame in the Flood, Jotun, Hacknet, Styx, Rebel Galaxy, TitS, Broforce, Slime Rancher, etc etc), its not like they pick from the fodder pile.

There have been some stinker months sure (the BLOPS3 multiplayer one springs to mind) but overall, value wise, how can you beat what they offer? I felt like I was in bizarro world for those few days.

Refunded Gamepump, it was a sure-why-not thing anyway for the price, but with the messiness on display today and overall, the money seems better well spent towards Humble. There, I know the games will be at least high quality, going by their past months. Will try it out for a few months

I have eclectic tastes, and will play pretty much anything (Hell, I've even been warming up to finally trying a visual novel), so yeah, seems like a good fit

im surprised you of all people havent been subbing badass, you're all about the high quality indie stuff which they primarly offer.

edit: also, I was browsing previous months Monthlys, and I just noticed its always 8 games >_>

MUnited83

For you.
Honestly, I kinda feel more tempted to GAMEPUMP thanks to the free additions.

But ultimately...eh. I will just wait till the games are out and go on sale.

Though I will send all my bucks of support if they miraclously get Metal Arms on Steam.

Arminsc

Yeah, did the same thing. They don't seem to have their stuff under control.

Vamphuntr

More like AmateurHourPump amirite?

I just would like to see the face of the guy when Steam explained to him he had to greenlit his games and that his whole plan just went down the drain. Not because they won't be approved, they will but the approval schedule is erratic and quite random.

Backlogger

Xcom 2 is the first game that has tempted me to sign up for the Humble Monthly. I'd have bought Xcom 2 for $12 during the winter sale had it been that price. All the other games they've bundled I've been able to pick up for $7 or less from BST thread or I already owned them. I'll likely sign up for this month and then cancel again

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just would like to see the face of the guy when Steam explained to him he had to greenlit his games and that his whole plan just went down the drain. Not because they won't be approved, they will but the approval schedule is erratic and quite random.

Maybe it was something that should have been established before they started taking money from people? Just sayin.

Maybe it was something that should have been established before they started taking money from people? Just sayin.

yep...they said on Twitter they shouldn't have made the assumption about getting Steam keys like that

so they advertised something that they couldn't even guarantee and hadn't bothered to even get real information about and yet still took people's money without saying a word about anything until they finally had to today

Rhaknar

Someone in B/S/T buying XCOM2 for $8...I mean why not just go the extra $4 and sub for the rest of the games then? That $8 will have the paypal tax on it too from sending money to people so...whut?

duckroll

I really don't think this is a scam so much as a personal project from a guy who has had experience working on this stuff with other people and failed to realize how he was in over his head when he tied to pull it off mostly alone.

That doesn't excuse that how the failed launch so far has been handled really poorly. If people feel they have no faith in the service they should definitely get a refund. But yeah, I don't sense any malice or intent to cheat here!

Wozzer

7IjFDlM.jpg

GOTY:
(5 Points) - The Witness
(4 Points) - DOOM
(3 Points) - SUPERHOT
(2 Points) - XCOM 2
(1 Point) - Firewatch

The Witness - A genre defining masterpiece of a game. Unaware of what to expect I had high hopes going in, and after 40 hours of puzzle solving bliss I put the game down with my expectations surpassed. The world design and attention to detail throughout is stunning; everything from a rock on the beach to a treeline in-land can have purpose and be part of a series of meta puzzles coming together towards the end of the game. The only downside being that the strands of a story, pretentious and nonsensical, does little to compliment the world it inhabits and the ultimate mystery of the island is either still yet to be discovered or lackluster. The journey more than makes up for the destination though.

Rhaknar

I really don't think this is a scam so much as a personal project from a guy who has had experience working on this stuff with other people and failed to realize how he was in over his head when he tied to pull it off mostly alone.

That doesn't excuse that how the failed launch so far has been handled really poorly. If people feel they have no faith in the service they should definitely get a refund. But yeah, I don't sense any malice or intent to cheat here!

I dont think its a scam at all, just completely amateurish.

Also, Epistory looks super cool. Next game? Next game (after Doom that is).

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly i think i might go for this humble monthly and gift away xcom 2

it is a cool value proposition even if i really dislike the idea of blind boxes

STEAM | January 2017 - GAMECHUMPS

-----

So with Gamepump being GOG first, Steam eventually, is there a possibility a game might not get a Steam release for whatever reason, or are they promising Steam keys? Is this basically a Greenlight bundle?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also, Epistory looks super cool. Next game? Next game (after Doom that is).

I actually really liked Epistory, but I wish I would have known beforehand of it's "adaptive difficulty". I type about 60 wpm without even trying, and so the game basically said "alright fucker let's do this" and started giving me ridiculously long words with ridiculously short time. I was still able to beat it, but it was a lot more challenging than I thought it was going to be. My suggestion, start out typing slowly and perhaps slowly work up to typing faster(?)

Rhaknar

I actually really liked Epistory, but I wish I would have known beforehand of it's "adaptive difficulty". I type about 60 wpm without even trying, and so the game basically said "alright fucker let's do this" and started giving me ridiculously long words with ridiculously short time. I was still able to beat it, but it was a lot more challenging than I thought it was going to be. My suggestion, start out typing slowly and perhaps slowly work up to typing faster(?)

thats actually good to know, I didnt know about that. How does the game handle typos, does it fuck up the whole word or what happens?

Also do you remember if you can play WASD like a normal person? That weird ass EDJI control system they have going is...not good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
thats actually good to know, I didnt know about that. How does the game handle typos, does it fuck up the whole word or what happens?

Also do you remember if you can play WASD like a normal person? That weird ass EDJI control system they have going is...not good.

Yes, if you mistype a word you have to start over (if I remember correctly)

I also changed the controls to wasd although I'll admit that there were more than a few times where I'm moving around in WASD mode then... oh fuck there's a battle here / switch hand positions.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah doom is pretty cool

i get a similar feeling as with wolfenstein, i appreciate all the cool stuff the game's doing and how it actually managed to capture a lot about the original games while modernizing in a pretty intelligent way but at the same time i find myself tired from playing it and kind of wishing it was shorter

like i just got to hell in doom and i'm kind of hoping it'll end already

idk what is it about these "modern old fpses" but i just don't have the patience for em i guess

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so I did some reading on this game pump thing, but basically it's a vaguer humble monthly but for old games?

Rhaknar

yeah doom is pretty cool

i get a similar feeling as with wolfenstein, i appreciate all the cool stuff the game's doing and how it actually managed to capture a lot about the original games while modernizing in a pretty intelligent way but at the same time i find myself tired from playing it and kind of wishing it was shorter

like i just got to hell in doom and i'm kind of hoping it'll end already

idk what is it about these "modern old fpses" but i just don't have the patience for em i guess

If its the
first time you went to hell
Im afraid I have bad news regarding it almost being over

zkylon

zkylewd
If its the
first time you went to hell
Im afraid I have bad news regarding it almost being over
yeah

it's weird, i like the game but i also don't want to spend too much time with it

it's weird, i'm weird

speaking of weird, doom kind of made me want to replay rage

i love rage

Won't be voting for DLC or Early Access, but my GOTY voting will be.

1. Dark Souls III
2. DOOM
3. Stardew Valley
4. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
5. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Dark Souls III is just fantastic and DOOM is the best FPS I've played since Half-Life 2. Building my farm in Stardew Valley has taken over Terraria as my relaxing game to build things in while going beyond Terraria in having an interesting town full of villagers and goals to keep me going forward (so close to completing the community center). VA-11 Hall-A's cast of characters kept me interested all the way through even though mixing drinks was about my only interaction with them, and it was an absolute joy to finally have Dragon's Dogma on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom