• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels good to be able to use the community market again. I should have enough monies to buy at least 2 new indie games in the coming weeks. Rain World better come out soon!

I wonder if we'll get any new information from Cold Beam Games this year? I want to know more about their marital arts F2P title and the sequel to Beat Hazard.

Alright, now I'm seeing some serious issues with the Ultimate Alliance port. If I use my Xbone controller, the powers menu doesn't come up at all. If I use my 360 controller, the menu does come up, but it doesn't do anything. If I switch to keyboard, it doesn't show the key bindings for anything other than movement and camera under the control options.

Yikes.

Anteater

guess I'm gonna give beyond good and evil another try with the new controller support, lost my saves tho fml

Sands of Time was Patrice Desilets game and so was AC1 and 2, but not Warrior Within or Two Thrones. As far as I remember, Desilets went from Sands straight to prototyping AC stuff, big crowds and all that.

that's cool, I would've thought PoP 2008 and Ass Creed shared the same designers at least for the combat gameplay more than the original 3d PoP, since I thought they just feel so similar interms of design philosophy where they really simplified/streamlined the platforming/combat.

Browsed my Steam library this morning, and thought I would give Total War: Shogun 2 a new spin. But man, I had completely forgotten what a drag it is to play the Total War games.

*All these annoying loading times.
*Load times when changing graphical settings.
*A game from 2011 that struggles on a i5 2500k CPU.

The actual gameplay is fun, but everything surrounding it makes it a chore to play. I remember now why I haven't bothered with the new Total War entries since.

Tizoc

In the meantime, there's Doom Seinfeld.
I know f that actually
Have PerSeinfeld tho
277738-seinfeldpersonaspitwiqcc1z.jpg

Knurek

So, Valve seem to have blocked (or at least severly restricted) API access for both SteamDB and SteamSpy.
No more sales data in 2017?

duppolo

If you have already played through the campaign at least once and want to spice it up a bit, then I'd say yes although probably not at full season pass price. For first playthrough I would recommend against the DLC because while it adds stuff to the campaign, it's not necessarily better experience.

i just bought it now with humble montly, so no dlc for first playthrough?

Danielsan

Shit, around 6 hours in and SOMA has decided to go full horror. Almost thought I was playing Alien Isolation with all those sounds coming from the vents and having to be sure not to make any loud noises.
Had to take a break. Way to tense.

Nzyme32

So, Valve seem to have blocked (or at least severly restricted) API access for both SteamDB and SteamSpy.

If this is true, then I take back what I said in a thread yesterday, about how great it is that there can be a platform open enough to allow such things and let people benefit from such info being available.

This doesn't make much sense in that they seemed supportive of SteamSpy at Dev Days, even going so far as to recommend devs do research there.

Nzyme32

Planet Coaster devs vs. Atari could be a reason for Valve to limit API access. But maybe it is just a bug.

Is it clear if this is specifically limiting SteamSpy and SteamDB exclusively, or just that the two are heavily using the API and that triggers rate limiting - in which case they just need to go via different routes

Nzyme32

What happened?

Planetcoaster devs have used other source to see that Atari have not been paying them what they should have so are suing Atari.

Seperately SteamSpy and SteamDB today / yesterday respectively have received "too many requests" errors via the Steam API (how they get their info), which means they have been rate limited (meaning they need to route traffic in different ways instead) - though Knurek is suggesting they are somehow blocked specifically - though this doesn't make sense to me since months ago at dev days Valve were supportive of the two and even recommended devs use SteamSpy to research their games / markets

What happened?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-03-planet-coaster-dev-frontier-sues-rollercoaster-tycoon-world-maker-atari

Basically Frontier claims Atari under reported sales on Tycoon 3 and therefore royalties and has evidence of such from another site (eurogamer speculates steamspy).

If steamspy is the evidence of the lawsuit I can understand Valve getting a little annoyed. Though it should be simple for Frontier to subpoena Valve for actual sales numbers and it's not like Steamspy claims complete accuracy.

Nzyme32

Maybe Valve wants to monetize its sales data itself?

They absolutely don't

They specifically and quickly shut down SteamSpy for attempting a subscription to give out details / further metrics, on the basis that it should remain free or would otherwise break terms of service.

Javier23

Banned
Shit, around 6 hours in and SOMA has decided to go full horror. Almost thought I was playing Alien Isolation with all those sounds coming from the vents and having to be sure not to make any loud noises.
Had to take a break. Way to tense.
Whenever it does that it only does it for a bit. So try and power through it. It's more than worth it.

Grief.exe

Planetcoaster devs have used other source to see that Atari have not been paying them what they should have so are suing Atari.

Seperately SteamSpy and SteamDB today / yesterday respectively have received "too many requests" errors via the Steam API (how they get their info), which means they have been rate limited (meaning they need to route traffic in different ways instead) - though Knurek is suggesting they are somehow blocked specifically - though this doesn't make sense to me since months ago at dev days Valve were supportive of the two and even recommended devs use SteamSpy to research their games / markets

Like Nzyme said, it looks like they are being rate limited. Steam Spy generally makes millions of requests per day, so either they find a way to reroute those requests or Steam Spy becomes less accurate and responsive.

Steam Spy is merely statistical analysis, so having millions of profiles to narrow down their results helps with accuracy.

TWRvrTh.png

https://twitter.com/Marlamin/status/818080926756433921

lame, fuck valve

1fbkyawqsc7.gif

If Valve ever restricts their API access to Steamspy/DB, it will most likely be due to publisher pressure rather than Valve taking steps on its own volition.

MRORANGE

Tales of Berseria
- texhnolyze
Set in the same world as Zestiria, Tales of Berseria is actually some kind of the prequel of it as they share the same world but occur at different times. But don't let it bring down your enthusiasm for Berseria, as the game doesn't share everything that made Zestiria a bad/mediocre game. It's the best Tales of games since Vesperia which was released in the West 8 years ago. That's according to the importers though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If Valve ever restricts their API access to Steamspy/DB, it will most likely be due to publisher pressure rather than Valve taking steps on its own volition.

I'll send a PM to Sergey and see if he would be interested, but it might be possible to add an opt-in option to Enhanced Steam that would automatically push the user's owned game data to SteamSpy that could be used as a supplement to their API access. This would also be able to push DLC data as well which I believe is still not accessible in their API.

The cool thing about that is that the users would retrieve this data themselves (Enhanced Steam already caches this request for features like marking games as not interested on the store page) from an API that Valve themselves use to build your store page. So it would be pretty difficult for Valve to block something like that.

Either way, it shouldn't be difficult for SteamSpy/DB to route around these changes, although unfortunately doing so goes against Valve's TOS for API access on anything that isn't a public API.

Annubis

Tales of Berseria
- texhnolyze
Set in the same world as Zestiria, Tales of Berseria is actually some kind of the prequel of it as they share the same world but occur at different times. But don't let it bring down your enthusiasm for Berseria, as the game doesn't share everything that made Zestiria a bad/mediocre game. It's the best Tales of games since Vesperia which was released in the West 8 years ago. That's according to the importers though.

Main reason I went back to finish Zestiria. Needed to finish the previous Tales before the new one.

tmarg

I'd guess enhanced steam users probably have a lot more games on average than the general steam population, so it would throw the numbers off.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'll send a PM to Sergey and see if he would be interested, but it might be possible to add an opt-in option to Enhanced Steam that would automatically push the user's owned game data to SteamSpy that could be used as a supplement to their API access. This would also be able to push DLC data as well which I believe is still not accessible in their API.

The cool thing about that is that the users would retrieve this data themselves (Enhanced Steam already caches this request for features like marking games as not interested on the store page) from an API that Valve themselves use to build your store page. So it would be pretty difficult for Valve to block something like that.

Either way, it shouldn't be difficult for SteamSpy/DB to route around these changes, although unfortunately doing so goes against Valve's TOS for API access on anything that isn't a public API.
You are the hero we deserve.

fantomena

Mass Effect is still really good, first time playing through it, played through ME2 twice and did everything I found. ME3 is the worst one, pretty much rushed through most of it. Sad it's not on Steam.

Anteater

Mass Effect is still really good, first time playing through it, played through ME2 twice and did everything I found. ME3 is the worst one, pretty much rushed through most of it. Sad it's not on Steam.

surprised you're enjoying 1 since it's the most janky interms of combat, inventory sucks too, but outside of those it's great

Wouldn't that skew the data though by being opted into only by enthusiasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom