• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
the idea is for him to play my Doom for example, now that im done with it. But if he can only do that when im not on, well thats like I said, useless, since im always on. Oh well.

Your library is only unplayable if you're actively playing a game. If you're logged into Steam, he can play your games. He can only not play your games if you actively have a game running.

edit: why did I do that

Sarcasm

the idea is for him to play my Doom for example, now that im done with it. But if he can only do that when im not on, well thats like I said, useless, since im always on. Oh well.

You have to be playing a game for your library to be unusable. Just being signed into steam doesn't affect it.

Man these past couple of days X-COM 2 would freeze on me after about 2 hours of game time. I've had to hard reset my pc every time. Anyone experience this?

I just finished it. While I never had any hard locks, the closer I got to the end of the game the slower it ran. The final vids barely played and the audio/video were out of sync. It then locked and had to be killed in taskmanager. I had to watch it on youtube.

Firebrand

Man these past couple of days X-COM 2 would freeze on me after about 2 hours of game time. I've had to hard reset my pc every time. Anyone experience this?

How big is your swap file? I fixed some crashing by increasing the size of mine (was only 1-2 GB), but I got an error message when that happened. Also it'd wipe out the surfaces of every other Windows application so they'd be blank.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You have to be playing a game for your library to be unusable. Just being signed into steam doesn't affect it.
Your library is only unplayable if you're actively playing a game. If you're logged into Steam, he can play your games. He can only not play your games if you actively have a game running.

edit: why did I do that

I understand but it would suck (for him) to have to stop when I want to play something, and I feel bad to what to play soemthing and interrupt him (we're on the same free time pretty much). Oh well, not good for my case then (so its not "useless", just for my particular case)

MUnited83

For you.
I understand but it would suck (for him) to have to stop when I want to play something, and I feel bad to what to play soemthing and interrupt him (we're on the same free time pretty much). Oh well, not good for my case then (so its not "useless", just for my particular case)

Just have him go offline after booting the game he wants to play.

Aaron D.

Steins Gate's story really is something else.

screenshot25c5ajt.png

LOL. I'm literally downloading the game right now.

It's pretty much my first VN.

Does this mean I need to switch to an anime avatar?

rtcn63

I missed the shotgun at the beginning of the second level (it's not highlighted oddly), and ended up having to retrace my steps to two Power to the Pepe stations I came cross after finally picking it up.

So far, Bio 2 is a much easier game than Bio 1. More fluid combat mechanics I guess.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You need The House in Fata Morgana. That's all I'll say and yes get into anime avatars. I'll return to my Fata Morgana avi

Wag

I didn't know where else to put this:

I did a clean install of Win10 and I lost all my cloud saves for every single Steam game. Yes, and I had lots of saves for lots of games. So bummed right now. 😡

I've done clean installs and even put Steam on other PCs and had no problem, now they're all gone.

Aaron D.

You need The House in Fata Morgana. That's all I'll say and yes get into anime avatars. I'll return to my Fata Morgana avi

If SG sticks, Fata Morgana will easily be my next as those were the the final two I debated over. Figured 2016 itself was enough horror in my world, so I opted for a time travel story instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't blame you. I played for a bit, but I stopped when it became clear that paying to heal would become an annoyance to me before long.

If you're okay with playing a game that outright hates you, though, go right ahead, it's certainly an interesting game.
yeah i guess that's what you can say

i just didn't particularly enjoy the way it went about that stuff, putting enemies that one hit kill you in the middle of a dungeon that force you to replay like half an hour of game is not very much fun and while i've appreciated games that do this kind of stuff before it just didn't click with me in lisa

the premise is very compelling tho, and i was really into it for the first couple of hours, but it just lost me eventually

I would hug you if I could because I admire you (FROM A DISTANCE) and that you changed the way I see people who play DotA or LoL and you live in Argentina (iirc) and whenever I hear something going in Argentina, I worry about you.

You love Christine Love and her visual novels, I've know her current GF from the Penny Arcade forum way back in the yonder years when she was a mod. (long story.)
that's a lot but thanks!

This is the caption of this pic.
i still have no idea what that lady's deal was and why she showed up then lol

ur post made me want to try out metro again

looks so good now, purple specially

Ozium

GOTY:
(5 Points) - The Witness
(4 Points) - Civilization VI
(3 Points) - Obduction
(2 Points) - Tyranny
(1 Point) - DOOM

DLC:
(3 Points) - Zubmariner DLC for Sunless Sea
(2 Points) - Arizona for American Truck Sim
(1 Point) - Leviathans Story Pack for Stellaris

EA:
(3 Points) - Jalopy
(2 Points) - Subnautica
(1 Point) - The Long Dark

I'm wondering when we'll hear about that Shenmue HD stuff. And/or whether they'll announce more stuff for PC at the same time.

I'll play them if the controls are fixed up. Actually, they might play great on a keyboard with the original controls and mouse look for the camera.

Parsnip

splinter cell came out 3 years before I was born :(

of course I was born :p but PoP the two thrones has this interesting transition that's going towards stealthing that reminds me of ass creed, which isn't something I noticed with the previous games nor PoP 2008

Sands of Time was Patrice Desilets game and so was AC1 and 2, but not Warrior Within or Two Thrones. As far as I remember, Desilets went from Sands straight to prototyping AC stuff, big crowds and all that.

Jawmuncher

I'm enjoying Xcom 2 a lot more than Xcom EW. I think the change in art style and the improvements to the gameplay are a big factor.

The levels in XCOM 2 being procedurally generated (and fully destructible) really adds a lot to it vs. XCOM: EU, I think. That's really the single biggest improvement. Whatever price they paid to do it was absolutely worthwhile.

The levels in XCOM 2 being procedurally generated (and fully destructible) really adds a lot to it vs. XCOM: EU, I think. That's really the single biggest improvement. Whatever price they paid to do it was absolutely worthwhile.

Thats probably why the performance is hit harder now that you mention it.

Jawmuncher

The only thing in Xcom 2 i'm not really sitting right with is the management aspect. Not really good at it, and I just feel like i'm going about it wrong. Oh well, will just keep on keeping on and just fail if it comes to it by the end.

zkylon

zkylewd
if i can beat doom tonight, maybe i'll be able to get the goty list before the deadline

don't count on it tho!

I'm enjoying Xcom 2 a lot more than Xcom EW. I think the change in art style and the improvements to the gameplay are a big factor.
i thought artstyle is about the same?

but yeah most of the game design and mission design changes are really positive and the new enemies and mission types and the new metagame create lots of interesting decisions and are all really great

like the way they put time pressures on everything is a bit obnoxious but it creates a really good tension and a feeling of like an arms race that if you don't keep pushing forward you're gonna be inevitably swept out

it really is a really strong sequel

if only it didn't run like shit....

Thats probably why the performance is hit harder now that you mention it.
doubt it, level generation might be behind the long loading times or long ai think times but after that it's mostly about how fast the game renders

xcom 2 is just really poorly optimized, idk what the hell happened there, if they had a smaller budget since they were doing only pc or whatever, but it's really inexcusable

Jawmuncher

i thought artstyle is about the same?

but yeah most of the game design and mission design changes are really positive and the new enemies and mission types and the new metagame create lots of interesting decisions and are all really great

if only it didn't run like shit....

doubt it, level generation might be behind the long loading times or long ai think times but after that it's mostly about how fast the game renders

xcom 2 is just really poorly optimized, idk what the hell happened there, if they had a smaller budget since they were doing only pc or whatever, but it's really inexcusable

Nah this has a more realistic looks and better proportions. Everyone in the original looked way too bulky and were a bit more cartoony imo.

I made like 6 Overwatch-inspired characters in XCOM 2's CC before I got bored. I will return to it, some day.

The character pool was a smart move. Didn't even know I wanted it until it was there.

But re: performance, I guess it was Firaxis' QA that was awful. I'm (almost) certain Jake Solomon was out there saying they were floored by performance reports post-release, stating it worked fine internally. Could be PR, but with how awful it was across the board (especially the final level) I'm inclined to believe they had a bad process.

Teggy

A couple of my favorite new things in XCOM 2 were the ambushes and that you could pick up and carry your soldiers.

zkylon

zkylewd
idk how i feel about the rune trials in doom

on one hand they're interesting puzzle like challenges that aren't too difficult but still require you to figure them out and execute

on the other hand that fucking timer stresses the fuck out of me

I made like 6 Overwatch-inspired characters in XCOM 2's CC before I got bored. I will return to it, some day.

The character pool was a smart move. Didn't even know I wanted it until it was there.

But re: performance, I guess it was Firaxis' QA that was awful. I'm (almost) certain Jake Solomon was out there saying they were floored by performance reports post-release, stating it worked fine internally. Could be PR, but with how awful it was across the board (especially the final level) I'm inclined to believe they had a bad process.
yeah i don't really know what excuse to give them, specially since xcom 1 ran pretty well iirc

is it any better now? i remember the patches helped a bit but it was still pretty bad

I actually haven't played it (outside of the Overwatch CC stuff) since before the patch, so I'm not sure. But I've seen others say it was a big improvement, although it didn't eliminate every issue.

I totally meant to. I got the season pass at launch and everything and... haven't used it at all. Feels bad.
A couple of my favorite new things in XCOM 2 were the ambushes and that you could pick up and carry your soldiers.

Evacuating with a downed soldier is INTENSE.

Lomax

Fired up Trails in the Sky via the steam link and was actually really surprised how good it looks on the big screen, I guess the screencaps always gave me the impression it was just retro pixels but it's really well done art, very sharp. Dialogue actually made me laugh a few times too. Maybe I do like jRPGs! Time will tell. Mostly playing Mortal Kombat XL via the link, it really is basically like having a console again. Well, other than having to futz with my controller every time I start it up for like 5 minutes before it works right, though I'm sure if I had a steam controller it wouldn't be as fussy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so Hexcells is pretty fucking good huh?

Volimar

So, Witcher 3 isn't kidding when it hands out those skulls by the enemy names. Some flying thingy killed me before I even saw its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom