• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

the new controller support is working great! Beyond Good and Evil still looking good

screenshot_2017-01-084xss5.jpg

Jade looking bored in that shot

So basically any game that didn't have controller support previously is no compatible with Ximput and Dinput due to the Steam Controller API? That's very useful.

Nzyme32

So basically any game that didn't have controller support previously is no compatible with Ximput and Dinput due to the Steam Controller API? That's very useful.

Pretty much. Although Steam Controller folk have been at this for quite some time. The prospect for the whole tool set and the API goes way up now that everything (practically) is supported, but importantly it is a nice way to move away from controller restrictions due to the way a game has developed, punching a bit of a hole into the dominance of Xinput only controllers / KB&M only

Knurek

It's not like that's a new thing. It's just that it previously required Joy2key or Antimicro.

Anteater

Thanks
That begs the question tho- if i add my gog ver of the game to steam will i be able yo set it up even tho it isnt a steam game?

it should, as long as steam overlay works I think? not sure if that has been changed, but that's how I played Shogo from GoG when I was using a Steam controller

I love the combat in the first Mass Effect. It was awesome.

yeah it's not bad I think if you don't treat it as an action game, ME1 has a good mix of rpg combat based on stats with some shooting, where positioning matters but the actual aiming doesn't

It's not like that's a new thing. It's just that it previously required Joy2key or Antimicro.

Yeah but the amount of customization available with steam is so awesome, like you can add modifier to add more buttons, and you can also add things like holding down/double tap for more

Lomax

I'll send a PM to Sergey and see if he would be interested, but it might be possible to add an opt-in option to Enhanced Steam that would automatically push the user's owned game data to SteamSpy that could be used as a supplement to their API access. This would also be able to push DLC data as well which I believe is still not accessible in their API.

The cool thing about that is that the users would retrieve this data themselves (Enhanced Steam already caches this request for features like marking games as not interested on the store page) from an API that Valve themselves use to build your store page. So it would be pretty difficult for Valve to block something like that.

Either way, it shouldn't be difficult for SteamSpy/DB to route around these changes, although unfortunately doing so goes against Valve's TOS for API access on anything that isn't a public API.

You're the best. It would be interesting for him to compare that data to his other analysis and see how much more enhanced steam users are "power users" with more games and more play time, or if your penetration is so wide now that it's about the same.

OneUh8

Going through withdraws now. My Corsair H100i v2 pump died last Monday and the replacement from Corsair won't be here until Thursday. 10 days without my PC is too long. Tried playing my PS4, but it is so meh lol. Help me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this Steam streaming shit is cool. Yeha yeah its like Twitch but its neat to be able to just watch any game peeps be playing without the person having to go through the hassle of streaming

Gave Chroma Squad a try. It's pretty fun.

Then I saw that there's an achievement for getting all the bonus directions in the first season.

And it autosaves, with no way to replay episodes.

Welp, at least I learned it early. Guess I'm restarting the game...

Ascheroth

Gave Chroma Squad a try. It's pretty fun.

Then I saw that there's an achievement for getting all the bonus directions in the first season.

And it autosaves, with no way to replay episodes.

Welp, at least I learned it early. Guess I'm restarting the game...

Yeah, the bonus directions + non-replayability of episodes has kind of deflated my motivation.

gngf123

Got to love Windows 10.

Spent ages finding the cause of serious input lag on my machine, eventually found that it was because of the 360 controller drivers that come with the PC.

I changed the drivers back to the old drivers which fixed the problem. Then the machine updates and forces me back to the new drivers.

Oh well, it's easy to fix. No big deal but definitely annoying.

EDIT:

Well this is well timed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331904

dex3108

Hmm i think that Steam Controller option doesn't work right in some cases. I mean if you leave option to detect DS4 gamepad ON in general settings but you uncheck option in per game settings to use and configure DS4 gamepad game will detect DS4 as Xinput device. What's the point then if you can't disable API per game and only completely?

Nabs

Does Steam Link ONLY work with Steam or can I use it as a way to do my normal computer stuff on the TV?

Steam needs to be on, but you can minimize bpm or have it launch straight to your desktop. Yes, you can do your normal computer stuff on the tv.

rtcn63

On replay, Bioshock 2 is about on par with TR2013 with regards to difficulty. Neither are soul-crushingly hard or mind-numbingly easy, especially if you (like most players I'm guessing) tend to compulsively rifle through the environment for health items, ammo, and upgrades. Although Bio 2 does give you arguably the most dangerous weapon combination very early on
Winter Blast 2 and the speargun

Javier23

Banned
the new controller support is working great! Beyond Good and Evil still looking good
Heard the game had aged poorly, but given how much I enjoyed this back in the day I can only doubt it. It was pure magic. Even if the gameplay doesn't hold up I'm sure the characters, the setting, the plot must be as memorable nowadays as they were back in the day. Will have to replay it, but I may be content not revisiting this particular part of my gaming past. I'll see.

One thing's for sure, Ubi's output back then was bonkers. BG&E, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, XIII... All ruined last gen.

Blacklist and Siege were great. Their smaller titles these days are consistently fantastic. Wildlands looks interesting, For Honor seems like it could be great at what it's trying to do. I don't give up on a progressive return to form.

gelf

Need to give Beyond Good and Evil another go now. I abandoned it completely a long time ago because of the lack of controller support and I couldn't set a satisfactory joy2key profile up.

Old ports that neglected controller support are so much more appealing now thanks to this update.

What does "rate limit" mean?
To get data from Steam you fire a request to the Steam API servers. Now Valve says you can only do a certain amount of requests per day, otherwise it will return an error message.

It basically says: you can only ask for data a limited amounts of time per day.

data

Wait... does that mean you can also play Hitman Blood Money with a DS4 without having to set a joy2key profile?

Playing Shadow Warrior. Near end of Chapter 2. Pretty much all encounters devolve into close quarters skiemishes where I blindky hack and slash at things. Difficultt hard. Also the game has incredible input lag with vsync and triple buffering does nothing to help. The engine tears badly too. Otherwise I really love the game and its narrative. Kind of sorry I didnt get the second game..

New pad support is only for Xbox and Ps pads or would my logitexh pads work as well?

So I've returned to Her Story after a break of 18 months. I started fresh, but with knowledge of some of the incidents (and notes). I've got 75% of the videos now
seen the credits with the cheat code

So can anyone offer some spoiler free hints on how to progress? Would you say the 100% worth it? I feel like I've exhausted most of my leads and I'm just brute forcing clues now. I do feel like I lack some closure. Anyway really interesting game and satisfying to put down Overwatch to play something like this.

Wok

So can anyone offer some spoiler free hints on how to progress? [...] I feel like I've exhausted most of my leads and I'm just brute forcing clues now. I do feel like I lack some closure.

Search this word for new videos:
BLANK

This is by far the easiest and quickest way. Use the search term
BLANK
. This will hit all 271 entries because
BLANK
is the default user tag supplied. You are limited to only viewing five of these at a time but if you delete the user tag (by selecting it and hitting backspace), then the
BLANK
tag will not exist for that video and you will uncover more unviewed videos the next time you search for
BLANK
. In this way, you can chronologically uncover all the videos.

Main reason I went back to finish Zestiria. Needed to finish the previous Tales before the new one.

I never got around to playing Zestiria so I'm watching the anime which is pretty decent.
Very hyped for Berseria, the 2 episodes of the anime dedicated to it were great. I need to finish some games first, though I probably can't afford it at launch anyway, maybe if gmg has a really good offer.

rdytoroll

Been playing Grim Dawn this weekend, working on my backlog. Man this game is massive. Just repaired the first bridge to the northwest and I'm 9 hours in. Seems much bigger than Diablo 3 for a first playthrough

Regginator

I was setting up MSI Afterburner on my dad's PC and I noticed something weird. He has a dual core i3, but somehow the on-screen display shows data for cores 3 and 4. That can't be correct, right? I also don't think they're averages of cores 1 and 2, because the usual CPU averages display different data. Any idea what causes this glitch?

4cores2bky6.png

Knurek

I was setting up MSI Afterburner on my dad's PC and I noticed something weird. He has a dual core i3, but somehow the on-screen display shows data for cores 3 and 4. That can't be correct, right? I also don't think they're averages of cores 1 and 2, because the usual CPU averages display different data. Any idea what causes this glitch?

4cores2bky6.png

i3 CPUs have two cores with hyperthreading, so 4 virtual CPUs.

Parsnip

doubt it, level generation might be behind the long loading times or long ai think times but after that it's mostly about how fast the game renders

xcom 2 is just really poorly optimized, idk what the hell happened there, if they had a smaller budget since they were doing only pc or whatever, but it's really inexcusable

He might have been referring to the 'everything is destructible' part.

Jade looking bored in that shot
Chili con carneeeeeeeeeeeee!

zkylon

zkylewd
So I've returned to Her Story after a break of 18 months. I started fresh, but with knowledge of some of the incidents (and notes). I've got 75% of the videos now
seen the credits with the cheat code

So can anyone offer some spoiler free hints on how to progress? Would you say the 100% worth it? I feel like I've exhausted most of my leads and I'm just brute forcing clues now. I do feel like I lack some closure. Anyway really interesting game and satisfying to put down Overwatch to play something like this.
i wouldn't say the 100% is worth it, specially if you're gonna mindlessly do it for completitionism's sake

her story is not a game that's meant to be satisfying tho. this is a case that happened ages ago, you're not gonna put anyone on jail or save anyone from death row or anything like that, nothing's gonna change and it's more about coming to terms with why that happened more than anything else. but in the end the reasons don't really change much, so you're stuck wondering if it was worth the trouble

it's very cool

He might have been referring to the 'everything is destructible' part.
i can't imagine that being responsible for all of it

like, image quality was boosted a lot, lots of screen filters and shaders and whatnot. to me it just seems like this was done without proper care for optimization and the result is what we see. much like dishonored i guess

Regginator

i3 CPUs have two cores with hyperthreading, so 4 virtual CPUs.

I knew it had something to do with the 4 threads, just didn't make much sense to me (not very tech savvy). Thanks!

As a side note, should I enable these hyperthreading for on-screen display? Seeing as they're "virtual", I don't see any point of monitoring their temperatures...

Knurek

I knew it had something to do with the 4 threads, just didn't make much sense to me (not very tech savvy). Thanks!

As a side note, should I enable these hyperthreading for on-screen display? Seeing as they're "virtual", I don't see any point of monitoring their temperatures...

Temperature, no, but as you can see they can have different CPU usage per virtual core, so there's still some useful data there.

i wouldn't say the 100% is worth it, specially if you're gonna mindlessly do it for completitionism's sake

her story is not a game that's meant to be satisfying tho. this is a case that happened ages ago, you're not gonna put anyone on jail or save anyone from death row or anything like that, nothing's gonna change and it's more about coming to terms with why that happened more than anything else. but in the end the reasons don't really change much, so you're stuck wondering if it was worth the trouble

it's very cool
I wouldn't say I'm lacking definitive closure in the traditional sense. There's just this nagging feeling that I'm missing something. Because the
question posed at the end
makes me doubt my understanding of what happened.

There's like an entire strip of interview questions missing from my database. I feel like if I was at 95% I could quit happy knowing I've not missed something important.
0TSKPtG.png

Miletius

so...should i buy xcom2 dlc?

Get Shen's last gift. The others are kind of skippable -- ALC is all cosmetic items so it depends on how much you like dressing up your soldiers. Alien Hunters adds a new mission and some new weapons, so it's kind of in between, but hardly nessecary.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wouldn't say I'm lacking definitive closure in the traditional sense. There's just this nagging feeling that I'm missing something. Because the

There's like an entire strip of interview questions missing from my database. I feel like if I was at 95% I could quit happy knowing I've not missed something important.
0TSKPtG.png
yeah i get what you mean, tho i don't think you'll find the closure you're missing (i think that's kind of the point)

i know i didn't!

Respectable choice though. Having been frustrated with the overly simplistic or binary endings of many games in the past 5 or 6 years. Thanks for your thoughts.

Knurek

0TSKPtG.png

The game's ending is purposely left vague.
Also, a lot of these missing segments are just 2-3 second shots of the actress drinking coffee or something similar.

Jawmuncher

The game's ending is purposely left vague.
Also, a lot of these missing segments are just 2-3 second shots of the actress drinking coffee or something similar.

Those are the most important parts.
Cements coffeegaf as being superior to Teagaf

Parsnip

i can't imagine that being responsible for all of it

like, image quality was boosted a lot, lots of screen filters and shaders and whatnot. to me it just seems like this was done without proper care for optimization and the result is what we see. much like dishonored i guess

I can't imagine destruction being cheap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom